• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

iratA

You should've added he has 24 hours..and he gets banned to boot :p

to raise the stakes you know?

^ Sure but the trade off, would of course be that I get banned. Love GAF too much for that, even so, I don't think I'll be the one eating crow!

DatDude

Banned
I will start on normal but hopefully if it's too hard,like I am hearing from a lot of people,I hope you can switch it down to easy without having to restart all over,kind of like Remember Me...I dont have patience for hard games anymore,especially with bad checkpoints or deaths caused by QTE.

you can.

KAOz

Short bus special
Is it realistic? Like one bullet to the throat or chest, goes down?

Have you tried Survivor? If so, how does that compare to Hard?

To a sense. Hard to explain really. It still has a gamey-feel to it when it comes to shootouts, but they are no bulletsponges at all from what I have experienced. One clean shot to the head (good luck hitting there) and they are down.

I haven't completed the game yet, so I haven't been able to touch on Survivor. Looking forward to it though. Can't wait to try out some other tactics.

iratA

will do. one question, are you concerned I'm lying that the game isn't all that or are you concerned that I have a pirate copy of the game?

I don't believe the Street date has genuinely been broken here in Australia. That is all.

EDIT: There is no way you bought it from an EB and have a reciept for it.

DatDude

Banned
To a sense. Hard to explain really. It still has a gamey-feel to it when it comes to shootouts, but they are no bulletsponges at all from what I have experienced. One clean shot to the head (good luck hitting there) and they are down.

I haven't completed the game yet, so I haven't been able to touch on Survivor. Looking forward to it though. Can't wait to try out some other tactics.

what about items? have you ever come to a point where you don't have enough things to craft, and no ammo? Does this screw up enemy encounters?

Also, how difficult are the zombie creatures on hard mode? How many bullets would you say?

Anyone?
Can those who have the game give some examples of the Balance of Power AI? No spoiler details like locations or who you were fighting, just what you did, how the AI reacted and responded

The AI was what hyped me the most. Want to know how it really is

Spoiler tag it if you share, just to be safe

iratA

He isn't claiming that street date has broken - his local EB sold it to him on the sly.
As someone in the know, trust me, it just doesn't work like that. Although I didn't ask him originally, if he has a receipt the Street Date is now Broken.

My guess, he was given the game by the store manager without a receipt who will later "book his game out" on or after release day. I've heard of such things.

KAOz

Short bus special
what about items? have you ever come to a point where you don't have enough things to craft, and no ammo? Does this screw up enemy encounters?

Also, how difficult are the zombie creatures on hard mode? How many bullets would you say?

It does not screw up encounters really. It's quite balanced in that way. Even some proper scripted encounters can be done without firing a single bullet, or taking down enemies. And I have been at that point alot of times. Alot. But with some cleverness, you can still get out of it.

The infected... gawd... freakiest enemies in gaming right now. Depends on the weapon you have. But, takes a few more bullets. But not always. Let's leave it at that.

Can you clarify what Balance of Power is in this case? Because I'll gladly answer this without any kinds of spoilers.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'll pick this up on or right after release day. I go to the beach for a week the last week of June, so I'll probably play it then, during the evening

DatDude

Banned
It does not screw up encounters really. It's quite balanced in that way. Even some proper scripted encounters can be done without firing a single bullet, or taking down enemies. And I have been at that point alot of times. Alot. But with some cleverness, you can still get out of it.

The infected... gawd... freakiest enemies in gaming right now. Depends on the weapon you have. But, takes a few more bullets. But not always. Let's leave it at that.

It's still a simple stealth shiv to take them down in 1 go?

Can you clarify what Balance of Power is in this case? Because I'll gladly answer this without any kinds of spoilers.

From the AMA

Is the balance of power AI system still in the game?

Yes, we managed to get a lot of reactivity in the AI. If they out number you they will be a lot more confident, if you out gun them they will be a lot more cautious, etc. They will hide from you, flank you, wait you out, flush you out, and coordinate to attack you.

There are a lot of systems running behind the scenes which make it all work, including some really neat environmental analysis, an upgraded pathfinding system, and ultimately some carefully hand crafted and tuned behavioural systems.

You asked that question a bazillion times in the review thread and you got plenty of impressions.
But I'd like to hear actual moments. Like "I did this, but the AI reacted like that, so I improvised, but the AI flanked and I took a hostage, then...."

See what I'm saying?
But if it's getting annoying, I apologize. I tend to get a bit question-crazy when I'm hyped about a game...

KAOz

Short bus special
It's still a simple stealth shiv to take them down in 1 go?

Yes. But you might want to save the shivs for other things. Also, it is not always possible to get up behind them fully unnoticed.

But I'd like to hear actual moments. Like "I did this, but the AI reacted like that, so I improvised, but the AI flanked and I took a hostage, then...."

Was doing a stealthy scenario. Mucked it up a bit. Got alerted. They started to spread out in smaller groups. All going together. Took a hostage, and had a group under control due to this.
Until I realized some motherfucker had split off from the group once I revealed my hostage, gone around the entire area, and snuck up on me from behind.

They beat the shit out of me. :(

DatDude

Banned
Yes. But you might want to save the shivs for other things. Also, it is not always possible to get up behind them fully unnoticed.

Was doing a stealthy scenario. Mucked it up a bit. Got alerted. They started to spread out in smaller groups. All going together. Took a hostage, and had a group under control due to this.
Until I realized some motherfucker had split off from the group once I revealed my hostage, gone around the entire area, and snuck up on me from behind.

one last question..the gameplay, how repetitive does it get?

I mean, does the game pace itself well enough where it doesn't feel your constantly sneaking and killing? Does it spread the encounters far enough apart I guess is what I'm asking to where they don't feel...move down the corridor..fight enemies...cutscene..move down next corridor,,.zombies...cutscene...it stays fresh or no?

Wow...that's the kind of stuff I wanted to hear
It's one thing for the devs to talk about what their AI can do.
But it's another to hear how it all comes together and works dynamically like that

That sounds awesome. Anyone have any other moments?

KAOz

Short bus special
one last question..the gameplay, how repetitive does it get?

I mean, does the game pace itself well enough where it doesn't feel your constantly sneaking and killing? Does it spread the encounters far enough apart I guess is what I'm asking to where they don't feel...move down the corridor..fight enemies...cutscene..move down next corridor,,.zombies...cutscene...it stays fresh or no?

So far, I guess I am halfway through, very, very, very amazing pacing. It never feels like how you mentioned. And if anything, cutscenes is a pleasure due to the fact it gives you time to breathe.
You are always on your toes, but you get alot of time to just explore and look around. Thing is, you never properly know when that exploring can turn into an encounter. It's very, Un-Uncharted.

So; in one sentence: it never feels repetive.

DatDude

Banned
So far, I guess I am halfway through, very, very, very amazing pacing. It never feels like how you mentioned. And if anything, cutscenes is a pleasure due to the fact it gives you time to breathe.
You are always on your toes, but you get alot of time to just explore and look around. Thing is, you never properly know when that exploring can turn into an encounter. It's very, Un-Uncharted.

So; in one sentence: it never feels repetive.

I know you can apparently try to sneak from the enemies completely. Have you tried that? If so, does the opportunity present itself consistently or enough..or is it alot of the time you have to kill the enemies to move on?

KAOz

Short bus special
I know you can apparently try to sneak from the enemies completely. Have you tried that? If so, does the opportunity present itself consistently or enough..or is it alot of the time you have to kill the enemies to move on?

It depends on what needs to be done. Sometimes, you have to kill most enemies. Other times, you can slip by unnoticed and complete everything.

It was one area in the game, which contained a scripted encounter. They swarmed in, but if you where quick on your feet, silent and clever, you could skip that whole bit without taking down any enemy at all.

Just made it past the opening section.

Starting out the first player-controlled segment came as a surprise albeit an interesting one. What went down afterwards, however, was utter chaos. Gameplay-wise, there's a lot of hand-holding in this segment, but there was probably no better way to get the point across. In terms of the emotional impact it has on you, I'd say it was brilliantly executed. Goes to show that mankind's worst enemy is mankind itself, and not just some epidemic.

The time stands still.
People posting spoilers everywhere (don't visit the official forums in the next minutes)
I don't know what to do. I have the feeling I'll know the ending before I have the chance to play this game.

Sidzed2

As someone in the know, trust me, it just doesn't work like that. Although I didn't ask him originally, if he has a receipt the Street Date is now Broken.

My guess, he was given the game by the store manager without a receipt who will later "book his game out" on or after release day. I've heard of such things.

Yeah, that's what I imagine happened. My old EB manager let me have a couple of games early in the past and said he would process the sale on release day.

Where did everybody go? Went from like three posts a minute to twenty minute gaps...

Anyway, the only forum I'll be on is this OT till release. It seems much safer here than on Gamefaqs or the official forums

Are there going to be any E3 livestreams that won't have chats? I want to watch the reveals live but dont want to risk being spoiled

The time stands still.
People posting spoilers everywhere (don't visit the official forums in the next minutes)
I don't know what to do. I have the feeling I'll know the ending before I have the chance to play this game.

I already know the ending (on purpose) but I am determined not to find out the intro so I'm thinking of avoiding this place a bit more. E3 should keep me pretty occupied

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Where did everybody go? Went from like three posts a minute to twenty minute gaps...

Anyway, the only forum I'll be on is this OT till release. It seems much safer here than on Gamefaqs or the official forums

Are there going to be any E3 livestreams that won't have chats? I want to watch the reveals live but dont want to risk being spoiled

You can hide the chat on twitch.tv

2013-06-0915_54_00-itkclzw.png

Good lord. That's...that's some shit.
So happy I'm basically in the dark about the opening. Literally everyone say it's jawdropping. I do know one detail (stupid Gamerliving review), but I had speculated that from the extended E3 demo and just general knowledge of apocalyptic fiction

And the
story trailer
hints at what happens in the opening, but I have no idea what specifically occurs. Can't wait to experience it myself

This astonishes me. The intro is more sacrosanct than the ending? Dear God, man!

Not what I'm saying. I learned the ending like a month ago after the leaks cos I didn't think I'd get to play the game, now I will. I regret seeing them but they also gave me the hype to go get a PS3 and this game.

But now that I know I will play it and people have been saying the intro is badass and powerful stuff, I don't want to have that ruined. I want to have something unspoiled now

Very nice. I so wish this was coming out on Tuesday, but Friday will be here soon enough.

It'll be a long week but E3 will make it fly

So happy I'm basically in the dark about the opening. Literally everyone say it's jawdropping. I do know one detail (stupid Gamerliving review), but I had speculated that from the extended E3 demo and just general knowledge of apocalyptic fiction

And the
story trailer
hints at what happens in the opening, but I have no idea what specifically occurs. Can't wait to experience it myself

Can you please tell me what you think happens in intro via pm or with spoiler tags here. Cause im curious.

Andrew.

Banned
Where the hell have you been?

antitrop has been worried sick.

Avoiding the thread. Too many people have it, too many people are leaking spoilers and too many people dont know how to adequately hide spoilers when discussing in here. Just playing it safe.

5 more days though! Get Hype!

Hx4J7Cq.gif

Koralsky

you've played the game already?

I've finished the yesterday.

My last two post from the other thread:

TLoU deserve all the hype, yes. It's not without some minor flaws (some of which can be fixed through patch when the game ships), but overall it's exceptional product.

The most important things for me is that amazing narrative isn't at the expense of gameplay. There's a whole lot of game in TLoS.

I don't know yet if this is my best game of the generation, but it's already in my TOP 3 AAA titles, along with Bayonetta and Red Dead Redemption.

and

I finished the game a couple of minutes ago (17 hours) and for me, this is the future of action adventure genre.

Neil Druckmann is slowly becoming my western version of Hideki Kamiya.

And big congrats to ND for trophy choices - just 24 in numbers, but what trophies!

One day after I finish TLoU I can confirm that this is the best game i've ever played. And I play console games from PONG times.

Avoiding the thread. Too many people have it, too many people are leaking spoilers and too many people dont know how to adequately hide spoilers when discussing in here. Just playing it safe.

5 more days though! Get Hype!

Hx4J7Cq.gif

What the hell is that gif from?

Wt....

Shopto cancelled my order even I paid with paypal like 2 weeks ago! Cancellation reason, not enough funds on my visa card! I needed to make new order and pay extra 2.5 pounds.

And now if they tell me that they are out of stock for TLoU i will burn them!

faridmon

15-20 hours? What the hell? No way this game is this long?

... Really?

RE4 all over again in terms of the best game of generation?

Top Bottom