• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
No game is perfect, and never will be. But a game where the flaws are negligible to the amazing experience, where it is best in class for its genre, has the potential to be 10/10 to me. Otherwise there's no use in even using the number 10 since nothing would ever qualify as perfect.

Agreed. Allow me to rephrase.

The flaws I have with The Last of Us are not negligible and my experience was not consistently amazing, so I could not rightly give it 10/10.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
No game is perfect, and never will be. But a game where the flaws are negligible to the amazing experience, where it is best in class for its genre, has the potential to be 10/10 to me. Otherwise there's no use in even using the number 10 since nothing would ever qualify as perfect.
I like you. Full scale usage ftw.
Same thing with every medium by the way.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm not the kind of person who usually reads the text stuff that is littered in games, but I actually get excited when I pick up a sheet of paper in this game. The back stories are so fun to read and it really adds a lot of character to the areas.

I'm not the kind of person who usually reads the text stuff that is littered in games, but I actually get excited when I pick up a sheet of paper in this game. The back stories are so fun to read and it really adds a lot of character to the areas.

I like how Joel will comment on certain notes you pick up. I think there was a note where someone tried to bunker up in a house, then Joel said, "How'd that turn out?", which I thought was kind of funny.

solarus

Finished, that was incredible. Any flaws or problems were negligable for me, definitely one of the top games of the generation and naughty dogs best game ever.

Holy shit, just finished the first part of the game, I guess, got the "Fall" title screen.

Henry and Sam were great characters. What a cutscene at the end of that section though, wow. I was really sad when he threw the toy on the floor, and then when he pulled his pants leg up I understood why he asked that question about if the people were still trapped in there.

I think the biggest part, for me, is that the way Henry shot himself, the way the screen goes black, the way it just says, "FALL," is such a heavy moment because it shows that there's still so much of this game to be played. I mean, shit, by the time you've left Pittsburgh you almost feel like you're almost done with the game. You've been through so much, culminating with Henry and Sam, and now you're in a completely different place. Crazy.

In a way, this was almost like a "Mexico moment" for me, y'know, when you get to Mexico in Red Dead Redemption, and you ride your horse into a new country while that song plays. It all just kinda clicked.

Jesus christ, this game is not good for my heart. The way they have constructed and implemented the tension is just sublime. They have certain sections where they
tease the idea that Clickers or Stalkers could be around the area you're currently in, yet they never turn up. It keeps you guessing.
Just amazing stuff.

Just finished it.

Sort of enjoyed it. A few technical issues like framerate, blurring, and a freeze up when I
was lighting clickers up with the flamethrower
. Overall it was a fun game, and if I have to 'rate it', I'd give it 8/10.

Not the masterpiece that many told me it was, but still a decent game (even if it does go Uncharted at times with the set plays).

Multiplayer is superb.

LastNac

Still haven't opened my copy yet but a friend who I trust the opinion of says there are too many damn cutscenes. I liked what ND did with making smaller moments(pushing Cutter through the crack, moments with the pirates) in UC3 still playable and interactive, thus not breaking momentum and immersion.

Are there really that many cutscenes? If so are they moments that could just easily be playable?

I'm about to jump into the game today, pretty hyped.

I'm wondering what's the consensus on the Game Options for best experience. Sorry if this has been discussed many times before, I'm trying to avoid any kinds of spoilers.

8uA3OWY.gif

Which ones should I turn off?

Edit: Nevermind, used google site:neogaf.com and found the earlier discussions on this.

Dinjooh

Still haven't opened my copy yet but a friend who I trust the opinion of says there are too many damn cutscenes. I liked what ND did with making smaller moments(pushing Cutter through the crack, moments with the pirates) in UC3 still playable and interactive, thus not breaking momentum and immersion.

Are there really that many cutscenes? If so are they moments that could just easily be playable?

How odd, I find myself constantly longing for the next cutscene. Not that the gameplay is bad, but the story is so damn good.

90 minutes of cutscenes in 15 hour game and all the cutscenes are there for story purposes. Just like Uncharted, you maintain control of your character for the majority of the game.

Paches

Just completed my first play through on Hard with listen mode off. Best game I have played in I don't know how many years. Simply amazing. Leaving it at one play through though, feel like the story is complete and I have no reason to go back again.

A+ Naughty Dog.

No, there aren't that many cutscenes.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Didn't seem any more cutscene heavy than the Uncharted series, to me. You've still got pre-rendered cutscenes, in-engine cutscenes, the occasional QTE, as well as "walk this linear path as NPCs talk at you". I normally find this stuff invasive but Naughty Dog does them well enough to keep me interested (mostly), and I had an easier time enjoying all of this with The Last of Us than any of the Uncharted games.

Just completed my first play through on Hard with listen mode off. Best game I have played in I don't know how many years. Simply amazing. Leaving it at one play through though, feel like the story is complete and I have no reason to go back again.

Even though I like the universe they created, I do kinda hope they never make another The Last of Us again. Even though it would be easy to tell other stories from anywhere in the world, this is a Children of Men situation, where I don't really want to know more. I don't want to know what else is going on in the world. I don't want to know how certain character or global events develop beyond the game itself. It leaves plenty unanswered but that's part of the point. Like a little window and experience into a world toeing the line between different and similar to our own. Whatever is left to be said, let it be said with the imagination of the fans.

Yawnier

Banned

I think I'm only about halfway through the game (maybe a bit less) but there really aren't that many cutscenes, not even close to how many cutscenes that are in games like MGS2 or MGS4.

Vol5

I think this game has utterly spoilt me....what game can now give the emotional attachment that I have with the characters in TLoU? I'm still thinking about the game and it's characters, 2 days after completing it.

Started another game on Survivor. It's certainly more fun the 2nd time though as I know what's coming and how to mix up the combat.

LastNac

How odd, I find myself constantly longing for the next cutscene. Not that the gameplay is bad, but the story is so damn good.

I don't like the sound of that at all.

I am certainly not anti story, I just don't want all of my interaction just limited to combat or getting from cutscene A to B. From what I have heard from my friend is that ND can do much better in this regard, hell, they have done better according to him, not just in UC3 but also the beginning of TLoU. The beginning(which I am still in the dark about) is the kind of thing he wants to see more of throughout.

Do you get more upgrade supplies on the easier difficulties? I can;t see how its possible to fully upgrade Joel and the weapons at the rate I'm going.

If so, its looking like this'll need 4 playthroughs for the Platinum

Hard
Survivor
Survivor+
Easy, for the upgrade cleanup

JB1981

I'm trying to load my game and its stuck at 39.89% and won't move from there. I think my save data got corrupted or something. Fuck me .. Is there a fix for this ?

Then I try to quit out and the PS3 locks up hard restarts

I remember the Uncharted games had the same fucking problem. What the fuck, naughty dog ?

JLeack

Banned
Just finished it.

Sort of enjoyed it. A few technical issues like framerate, blurring, and a freeze up when I
was lighting clickers up with the flamethrower
. Overall it was a fun game, and if I have to 'rate it', I'd give it 8/10.

Not the masterpiece that many told me it was, but still a decent game (even if it does go Uncharted at times with the set plays).

Multiplayer is superb.

It's a shame to hear that but even the best games aren't for everyone. Sometimes it depends on your mood, too.

I think this game has utterly spoilt me....what game can now give the emotional attachment that I have with the characters in TLoU? I'm still thinking about the game and it's characters, 2 days after completing it.

Started another game on Survivor. It's certainly more fun the 2nd time though as I know what's coming and how to mix up the combat.

The Last Guardian? If it ever comes out....

Do you get more upgrade supplies on the easier difficulties? I can;t see how its possible to fully upgrade Joel and the weapons at the rate I'm going.

If so, its looking like this'll need 4 playthroughs for the Platinum

Hard
Survivor
Survivor+
Easy, for the upgrade cleanup

There's a glitch that allows you to obtain all the difficulty trophies in two playthroughs (although yeah, you'll probably have to play a third time to upgrade every weapon). Refer to this thread in order to find out how.

I don't like the sound of that at all.

I am certainly not anti story, I just don't want all of my interaction just limited to combat or getting from cutscene A to B. From what I have heard from my friend is that ND can do much better in this regard, hell, they have done better according to him, not just in UC3 but also the beginning of TLoU. The beginning(which I am still in the dark about) is the kind of thing he wants to see more of throughout.

I'll just say that a regular complaint about Uncharted 3 in reviews and by players is that they took control away from the player too often. By comparison you friend is the first time that i've heard anyone make that suggestion about TLoU. You don't see that in reviews and I haven't seen anyone else mention it in these threads.

Such a fantastic game possibly the best game I've ever played, but I don't think I ever want to play it again. I loved it, but I can't really call the game fun. Anyone else feel similar?

KorrZ

Started run #2 on Survivor last night and ended up playing 7 hours straight...up to
The sewers
. God damn this game is just as fun and impressive the second time around. Survivor sure as fuck is survivor though....I haven't had a shiv in 2+ hours and no more than 3 round of ammo for any gun.

Brick/Bottle has been my best friend on this difficulty.

LastNac

I'll just say that a regular complaint about Uncharted 3 in reviews and by players is that they took control away from the player too often. By comparison you friend is the first time that i've heard anyone make that suggestion about TLoU. You don't see that in reviews and I haven't seen anyone else mention it in these threads.
Believe it or not, at E3 I had a chance to run into both Wells and Balestra at the Sony party. I had a chance to tell them how much I love the desert portions(which were designed by the same designer who designed the beginning of TLoU) in UC3 and how I want to see moments like this continue. I prefaced all of this with the stance that I "like UC3 more than UC2." They laughed about the competition between the two and both seemed to favor 3 themselves. My point is that both men noted that Chapter 18 was a widely loved moment that they considered to be one of the best moments in the entire franchise.

Now, regardless of limited interaction by the player, nothing takes away more control than a cutscene, my friend and I both loved UC3 for the same reason, that being that we both seemed to maintain interaction for moments that anyother developer would have allow allocated to a simple cutscene. Now I'm not looking for any crazy train sequence but I am looking for moments that are in the same vain as apparently the beginning of TLoU.

One thing he has sung the praises of is combat in TLoU, saying that it certainly feels more cinematic than what has been seen in UC.

King_Moc

Banned
Such a fantastic game possibly the best game I've ever played, but I don't think I ever want to play it again. I loved it, but I can't really call the game fun. Anyone else feel similar?

Yeah, i've just finished it. End credits still scrolling, actually. I thought it was amazing, but very affecting in places. Probably the best storytelling i've seen in a game.

This game is so good that when I read comments like this I think it's a troll. I know it probably isn't but that's just my instinct. This game is that good.

Or it's perhaps people having a different opinion of what makes a 10/10 game? The usage of Troll is so liberal on the internet when someone disagrees with someone else's opinion, there's never any discussion - just straight to name calling.

+ Joel & Ellie
+ Cinematic Presentation
+ Music Arrangement

-/+ (Spoiler)
Joel has had to swim to find a way for Ellie to get into the Hotel... he's swam underneath, and battled clickers in spore filled air... he gets out and is caught out when he's climbing a ladder. It looks like he's going to die... then Ellie pops up with the save. Where did she come from?!
-/+ Some of the action was just brutal. I get it, it's kill or be killed but DAMN.
-/+ I can't work out if I liked the pacing or not. It was far too up and down, which I understand is so you can rest out of the action, but by the end it felt draining over all

- Slow Down
- Blur
- Screen tearing
- Wonky gunplay/fighting (mainly due to animation loops)
- I personally didn't care for the ending
-
Too many 'forgot to check my shoulder' moments when walking through doors to setup plot progressions
-
Town is burning down after the fight with David, cut to black and time progresses even though town was still full of bad guys as I had used stealth
- Ellie being invisible during sneaking.
- Ellie being near on invincible sort of removed all threat and care I had built up for her
- Constantly spawning Clickers when alerted until you get past a trigger point

Perhaps I'm not using the correct term, but corner of rooms wouldn't be fully connected and you'd see 'white outlines', happened with some floor textures too.

Believe it or not, at E3 I had a chance to run into both Wells and Balestra at the Sony party. I had a chance to tell them how much I love the desert portions(which were designed by the same designer who designed the beginning of TLoU) in UC3 and how I want to see moments like this continue. I prefaced all of this with the stance that I "like UC3 more than UC2." They laughed about the competition between the two and both seemed to favor 3 themselves. My point is that both men noted that Chapter 18 was a widely loved moment that they considered to be one of the best moments in the entire franchise.

Now, regardless of limited interaction by the player, nothing takes away more control than a cutscene, my friend and I both loved UC3 for the same reason, that being that we both seemed to maintain interaction for moments that anyother developer would have allow allocated to a simple cutscene. Now I'm not looking for any crazy train sequence but I am looking for moments that are in the same vain as apparently the beginning of TLoU.

One thing he has sung the praises of is combat in TLoU, saying that it certainly feels more cinematic than what has been seen in UC.

People can't really say much because you want to go in dark. But your friend is wrong about the game taking control away. Neil and Bruce even spoke about that in the Victor Lucas podcast. They said that they give the player control in every instance that they feel they can. And even give an example of that, which I can't mention since you're trying to go in dark.

LastNac

People can't really say much because you want to go in dark. But your friend is wrong about the game taking control away. Neil and Bruce even spoke about that in the Victor Lucas podcast. They said that they give the player control in every instance that they feel they can. And even give an example of that, which I can't mention since you're trying to go in dark.
Like I said, he is only half way through. Its not really a matter of taking control away as much as it is not offering it more for other moments. Something UC2 played with and UC3 seemed to really embrace. I really love those smaller moments and if I get to be participating its all the better.

StuBurns

Banned
Outside of the very start, there's almost nothing in TLoU like the setpiece stuff from Uncharted, and it would be better without the 'almost'.

Neiteio

I was so engrossed and entertained that I didn't want it to end, which is frankly the criteria for a 10/10 game in my eyes. I never found myself growing bored or tired; I never found myself thinking they missed an opportunity or under-utilized a mechanic. No trope felt overused, at least not to any grating or repetitive degree. And then there's consideration for the objective quality of the individual elements, which in my estimation were excellent.

Granted, some human enemies act a bit dumb, and your AI partner(s) occasionally break(s) immersion by wandering right in front of the enemy; thankfully they're indestructible, or at least undetectable, so there's no frustration, only funny situations that break your suspension of disbelief. But those moments are rare, in the grand scheme of things, and complaining about them feels like nitpicking flyspecks on the dome of the Sistine Chapel, given the awe this game's beauty regularly inspires, and the admirable restraint used in telling a very human and down-to-earth tale, and the rewarding nature of the mechanics, which reward skill and cleverness, encourage creativity, have more than one right solution in their semi-open-endedness, and play nice and tight thanks to the firm, deliberate way your character moves.

You have that calculated movement found in the MGS games, minus the fiddly over-sensitivity. Any blown cover is your own fault, but blowing your cover isn't a death sentence if you're quick to sprint away and hide. Combined with enemies that are smartly placed and telegraph their patterns well, TLoU is a super-fun stealth game -- something I frankly wasn't expecting from the creators of Uncharted. In general, I'm impressed they delivered on the promises laid out in their ambitious E3 live demos and tone-setting trailers. I think it's safe to say this my favorite PS3 exclusive and one of my favorite games this generation.

Valravn

Damn this part im at.
I'm at the part with the sniper. I have not much health or ammo left and he or one of his goons keep killing me.

Damn this part im at.
I'm at the part with the sniper. I have not much health or ammo left and he or one of his goons keep killing me.

That part bugged for me -
The Humvee rolled in, and I killed all the supportin mobs, but it never advanced forward. I think I might have somehow killed the moltov guy inside before I was supposed to

LegendX48

It depends on the person, I've already played through it on normal, normal +, survivor and survivor + and I still want a bit more lol

Top Bottom