• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

You know I gotta say I have been playing this game for a while now and I really feel the need to express how wonderful Ellie's A.I., support abilities, and general believability in the game is. She is way more of an on-going functioning character and partner during the game than Elizabeth was during Bioshock Infinite. When combat erupts Ellie doesn't just sit there doing nothing, except occasionally throwing you a weapon, like Elizabeth in Bioshock Infinite. She actively supports you and prevents herself from being a damsel you need to constantly rescue.

After all the big ballyhoo made over how enthralling of a companion Elizabeth was supposed to be, I just gotta say that Eliie blows her out of the water.

Sure, Elizabeth was a terrific character don't get me wrong, but during gameplay she just felt like a NPC, whereas Ellie felt more like a real comrade.

LiK

You know I gotta say I have been playing this game for a while now and I really feel the need to express how wonderful Ellie's A.I., support abilities, and general believability in the game is. She is way more of an on-going functioning character and partner during the game than Elizabeth was during Bioshock Infinite. When combat erupts Ellie doesn't just sit there doing nothing, except occasionally throwing you a weapon, like Elizabeth in Bioshock Infinite. She actively supports you and prevents herself from being a damsel you need to constantly rescue.

After all the big ballyhoo made over how enthralling of a companion Elizabeth was supposed to be, I just gotta say that Eliie blows her out of the water.

Sure, Elizabeth was a terrific character don't get me wrong, but during gameplay she just felt like a NPC, whereas Ellie felt more like a real comrade.

Ellie does get more points for actually being able to kill and distract guys.

Dave1988

no you don't have to.start NG+ on what ever Difficulty you can.play the first chapter then quit .go to chapter select and play the first chapter again on survivor difficulty :))

Does this give you the normal Survivor trophy after completing it in this way?

Amir0x

Banned
You would have preferred to start on Crushing? What the hell is wrong with you people. Crushing is the opposite of fun (Bullet sponge, cheap bullshit).

This is coming from someone who has beaten Gears of War on Insane and the Halo series on Legendary for fun.

Naughty Dog simply doesn't know how to balance the highest difficulty. Ever.

I would have preferred to start on Crushing too. Hard is so easy for me, it's never tense. And because Uncharted spends a lot of its time just pretending to allow you to interact with it, making the gun fights tough was a solace from all the brain dead no-skill platforming and CINEMATIC GAMEPLAY CUTSCENES.

Yeah, I really prefer the Crushing Mode. Had much more fun with U2 when I was playing that.

Vire

Elizabeth/Ellie spoilers:

The mere fact that you need to save Elizabeth on three separate occasions throughout the story is pretty disappointing. It shows that they still haven't gotten past the whole damsel in distress stereotype. For all intents and purposes it's a spruced up princess in a castle. By contrast, in The Last of Us - Ellie is in fact the one who does the saving for Joel and appears more than capable to fight for herself.

Moral of the story: Ellie > Elizabeth

JB1981

Kinda ridiculous - scratch that - ludicrous that there have been complains regarding this game's visuals. The beginning of FALL is one of the nicest things I've seen in gaming all year. The trees, the rocks, Joel's wet hair, his shirt; it's so muted, yet so beautiful.

I complained about the beginning of the game but - BUT - as the game progresses it becomes one of the most gorgeous games I've ever played.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You would have preferred to start on Crushing? What the hell is wrong with you people. Crushing is the opposite of fun (Bullet sponge, cheap bullshit).

This is coming from someone who has beaten Gears of War on Insane and the Halo series on Legendary for fun.

Naughty Dog simply doesn't know how to balance the highest difficulty. Ever.
Er, sorry, I actually don't even know what game Crushing references :p

I meant Hard vs Survivor

Vire

Er, sorry, I actually don't even know what game Crushing references :p

I meant Hard vs Survivor

I haven't played Survivor yet, but I'm sure it's filled with artificial resource limitations that would make me mad. Plus, after Uncharted's Crushing mode, I don't exactly trust ND to properly balance their highest difficulty level.

Quick

Banned
ibdcwFkDoJUWDS.gif

Finally got my copy (Survival Edition!).

Neiteio

Just finished the game. Went into this title with no expectations aside from snazzy visuals and strong voice acting, and came out of it super-impressed with the gameplay mechanics, the controls, the pacing, the narrative, the character beats, the world-building, etc. Just a wholly satisfying, thoroughly engrossing game, driven in equal measure by story and gameplay, and exceptional in both regards. By that token, relative to the times, I'm fine with the game receiving so many high scores. The game delivered on the hype, which is remarkable indeed. :)

A QUESTION: What does New Game Plus involve in this game? And do I lose the ability to do New Game Plus if I replay certain chapters via Chapter Select?

A QUESTION: What does New Game Plus involve in this game? And do I lose the ability to do New Game Plus if I replay certain chapters via Chapter Select?

New Game Plus will carry over your training manuals, weapon upgrades, and supplement upgrades, though weapons will need to be reacquired (they'll have the upgrades when you pick them up). You can start a new game plus on the difficulty you originally completed it on, and any lower difficulties.

You never lose the ability to start New Game Plus as long as you keep your clear file. Chapter select shouldn't affect it, but if it does, or if you want to New Game Plus with your original clear file after starting a different new game, just load your original clear file from the main menu.

Neiteio

New Game Plus will carry over your training manuals, weapon upgrades, and supplement upgrades, though weapons will need to be reacquired (they'll have the upgrades when you pick them up). You can start a new game plus on the difficulty you originally completed it on, and any lower difficulties.

You never lose the ability to start New Game Plus as long as you keep your clear file. Chapter select shouldn't affect it, but if it does, or if you want to New Game Plus with your original clear file after starting a different new game, just load your original clear file from the main menu.
Thanks X. So just to be clear, if I replay a chapter in Chapter Select, it won't overwrite my clear file and thus block me out of New Game Plus, will it?

Thanks X. So just to be clear, if I replay a chapter in Chapter Select, it won't overwrite my clear file and thus block me out of New Game Plus, will it?

I'm not sure, but as long as you don't overwrite your original clear file, you can always load it up from the menu to reenable new game plus.

Think of loading a game from the main menu as unlocking features in the menu. If I start a completely new game and complete the first two chapters, the continue option will start me at the third chapter and chapter select will only have the two chapters I beat. But if I load my clear file, the continue option becomes new game plus again and all chapters would be available to play.

AllenShrz

DAMN THIS GAME!!!!

I just finished it and FUCK!!!!!!

Best game of the year and maybe the best on the PS3 or on part with Dark Souls.

The way "it looks", the color, lighting remind me a lot of Silent Hill 2 and 3.

As bad point: some times I did not know how some enemies spotted me even if I was hiding or stalking them silently. I had to lower the difficulty to medium on one particular room and then I forgot to switch to hard. The game is not as good on medium as is on hard.

DatDude

Banned
DAMN THIS GAME!!!!

I just finished it and FUCK!!!!!!

Best game of the year and maybe the best on the PS3 or on part with Dark Souls.

The way "it looks", the color, lighting remind me a lot of Silent Hill 2 and 3.

As bad point: some times I did not know how some enemies spotted me even if I was hiding or stalking them silently. I had to lower the difficulty to medium on one particular room and then I forgot to switch to hard. The game is not as good on medium as is on hard.

Did you not hear that "Swoosh" splinter cell esque sound? When they get close to finding you in turns up in sound.

AllenShrz

Did you not hear that "Swoosh" splinter cell esque sound? When they get close to finding you in turns up in sound.

Yes but some times, in the sewer, in one room that is filled with infected, they just magically turned and stated to go after me or they just spotted me with no warning even if I was not in their view. Even on medium they spotted me but I least on that difficulty I could just clear the room.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Yes but some times, in the sewer, in one room that is filled with infected, they just magically turned and stated to go after me or they just spotted me with no warning even if I was not in their view. Even on medium they spotted me but I least on that difficulty I could just clear the room.

I had the same problem with that room on Hard. Every now and then, they would just start roaring and coming after me, even when I was moving slowly and (as far as I could tell) out of sight.

AllenShrz

I had the same problem with that room on Hard. Every now and then, they would just start roaring and coming after me, even when I was moving slowly and (as far as I could tell) out of sight.

It was on hard too. I was doing just fine on hard until that point in the game, I tired easy 20 times and I always got spotted rather quickly. Other than that, best PS3 game for me.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The sound effect is only on humans, infected are a lot harder to stealth. Even on hard it's not much of an issue to clear them out, though.

Vashetti

Banned
What glitches? Ive played through twice now, and the only "glitch" ive seen is when flashlights through a floor

- Melee attacks sometimes don't connect with enemies correctly
- Texture pop-in
- Audio drop outs
- Enemies sometimes turning around even when you're sneaking up on them from behind with the absolute slowest sneak-speed as though you're being super loud
- Enemies sometimes have severely delayed reactions to bottles/bricks being thrown. For example, I threw a bottle nearby a group of Clickers (shortly after you meet Bill), and they definitely would have heard it. They carried on walking around normally, around 10 seconds later, they reacted as though I had only just thrown the bottle, running towards the sound and catching me unaware.

And many, many more:

http://community.us.playstation.com...ems-weird-things-happening-PM-me/m-p/40654303

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Quick question: Bloaters are technically Clickers in that they have overgrown fungus blocking their sight, correct?

flattie

Man. Just had to take a time out. Am about 45% through and have just exited from
underneath the hotel in Pittsburgh. For my fight or flight decision I chose the latter and Jesus Christ, could I find where the bloody key card door was after starting the generator? Could I bollocks. Finally made it out in one piece despite the Bloater being right on my ass - not good for the old ticker!

Game has finally sucked me in. I've found it a bit of a slow burner to begin with, but as others have pointed out, once you get to
Bill
, it starts to pick up.

I keep reading comments referring to 'Winter' - I am both weary and eager to find out why...

Lingitiz

Just met up with Bill again in a survivor playthrough. I can honestly say that this is a game I see myself replaying a ridiculous amount of times similar to Resident Evil 4. Its just as exciting and tense as the first time through.

The only thing I can say is that the slow beginning stands out a bit more, but I didn't have a tough time getting through it quickly. I'm definitely feeling squeezed by the lack of supplies though, which is certainly a good thing. I was basically a walking tank on normal.

Fjordson

In Pittsburgh. Game is getting crazy good. Wow.

But 2 hours is about my limit as far as play sessions go with this. Too intense :lol and I'm trying to savor it.

So I just got to the kitchen/cafeteria in the hotel.
Just past the bloater in the basement
. Apparently some hunters are supposed to spawn here and... they're not. Just an empty fucking room with no way out, and restarting puts me in the same room. Has this happened to anyone else? I didn't search the thread but saw no hits about it on google.
Got something similar once during the fall segment in the
ranch house after Ellie runs away
. I could not
open the door of the room where Ellie is
so I spent half an hour trying to find what I could have missed. I found no was no way out of the situation when I looked at a let's play video of the segment.

The game can be glitchy at times but, for once, I'm not mad about that as this glitch is my only technical grip with the game. The so called weak framerate never hit me, probably because I played the game so slowly my save game hit the 27 hours mark in the end... I was so in the game I did something I rarely do in a video game: I walked. I enjoy vistas in games, beautifully crafted backgrounds and, usually, I walk instead of running to the next shootbang segment. With TLOU, I just spent most of my time walking, enjoying vistas and moments of calm between tense situations. I wasn't forcing myself into that, I just did it naturally, because it was fitting the game and I only realized that when I read people finished the game in a bit more than 10 hours. When I hit the 10 hours mark, I was far away from the end.

Anyway, TLOU has become my game of the generation. I'm so glad I went black out on this one... I will gladly replay it. Thank you Naughty Dog.

Phreak47

You can actually, there's a trick to doing it.

As soon as you finish your first game, start a new game plus on whatever difficulty, complete the first chapter, then quit to main menu and go to chapter select, select the first chapter and select Survivor for difficulty and the game will consider it a new game plus on Survivor.

With this method, only two play throughs are required for all the difficulty trophies.

Hell fucking yes. Did this earlier tonight, ended up playing all the way until meeting Bill on Survivor+ mode.

I wanted to do this but NOT play the game three times.

And damn, the resources really are scarce... but it's sweet to keep all the upgrades. Balances things out. I'm getting through scenes much faster despite having no listen mode.

So I am at this part:
Just got the the Fireflys old lab at the University. Stopped when you find the tape recorder telling you the new location and then you get shot at.

How far along am I?

I am LOOOOOVING this game. Never been so sucked into a game since Metro 2033

Superflat

So I am at this part:
Just got the the Fireflys old lab at the University. Stopped when you find the tape recorder telling you the new location and then you get shot at.

How far along am I?

About to start the last third/quarter-ish of the game, I'd say.

Cloudy

Banned
Played for 9 hours and 51 minutes (46% complete). This is quite possibly the best game I've ever played. Interesting story, excellent character development and superb gameplay coming together seamlessly so far. I hope all future games aren't ruined for me lol

Question about the hotel basement:

I had been KOed once so I scoped the area and got the keycard before turning on the generator again. I just ran from the bloater. Just wondering if that's one of those deals where you have to bail? It was way too creepy down there to engage him with the running clickers too lol

PS: Ellie is in my top 5 videogame character list. Such an amazing job by the voice actress too..

PS2: Get the shiv master skill as soon as you can. Saved my ass a few times already :p

So I am at this part:

How far along am I?

I would say you still have around 3-4 hours to go depending on your playstyle.

Jinjo

I can understand going for the easy way and directly start survivor+ to get the trophies out of the way quickly, but one of the best replays in gaming for me was starting resident evil 4 over from nothing on pro difficulty, without upgraded weapons. So I am starting survivor the vanilla way, hoping this gives me the same kind of challenge.

Got the limited edition hardcover strategy guide to help me get them collectables. I have never ever bought a strategy guide before, but this one is pretty sweet.

Top Bottom