• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

StuBurns

Banned
I like that the plat can be done in two playthroughs now. That makes me happy. :)
It can't.

You need to beat it on Survivor +, which means you need to beat Survivor, which means you need to have beat it at least once to unlock it.

EDIT: Oh, it's broken? Cool, I guess.

JB1981

How do you release a game that can't fucking load? I mean I'd imagine that's a fundamental aspect of coding a game right? Making sure it can actually load ? How is this acceptable ?

That part bugged for me -
The Humvee rolled in, and I killed all the supportin mobs, but it never advanced forward. I think I might have somehow killed the moltov guy inside before I was supposed to
I think that's a bug. Happened to me too then the game froze.

How did you guys used the smoke bombs? I think I used them maybe once.

I used them quite a bit, they're great for running away or getting some easy kills.

Majmun

How do you release a game that can't fucking load? I mean I'd imagine that's a fundamental aspect of coding a game right? Making sure it can actually load ? How is this acceptable ?

LOL what are you referring to? Which part of the game doesn't load for you?

I only saw loading after I pressed continue in the title screen. And that lasted 20 sec tops.

LastNac

My friend told me that in regards to moments that were comparable, TLoU has offered several UC3 esque "bar room brawls" which translates into encounters that are smaller, and really do focus on the characters in non too ridiculous situations.

I don't know, its kind of difficult to translate what am am looking for over the Internet. I guess I'll know it when I find it.

Frankly, I just don't want to be disappointed. ND and UC1 were the reason I ever bought a Playstation system in the first place. I thought UC2 was great but I really fell in love with UC3. I don't want to feel like they have already reached the pinnacle of what I am looking for in regards to my interactive/cinematic experiences.

Still haven't opened my copy yet but a friend who I trust the opinion of says there are too many damn cutscenes. I liked what ND did with making smaller moments(pushing Cutter through the crack, moments with the pirates) in UC3 still playable and interactive, thus not breaking momentum and immersion.

Are there really that many cutscenes? If so are they moments that could just easily be playable?
Your friend is the kind of people that annoy the fuck outta me. As far as I'm concerned there are not enough cutscenes.

Finished Fall section and I believe I'm an hour into the next section.

This game is unforgiving. It's cruel what they're doing to Joel :( I let out an audible gasp when he fell on that rod...it was so sudden...and so sad. I was beginning to like David after he and I held off the swarm...then suddenly, they're cannibals? holy shit, fuck them all. Ellie should have killed him during the deer hunt. I'm at the part where Joel wakes up and you regain control. I want to steamroll everyone on my way to save Ellie. I am not going to sneak around. I'm gonna fucking blow everyone's limbs off on my way.

StuBurns

Banned
My friend told me that in regards to moments that were comparable, TLoU has offered several UC3 esque "bar room brawls" which translates into encounters that are smaller, and really do focus on the characters in non too ridiculous situations.

I don't know, its kind of difficult to translate what am am looking for over the Internet. I guess I'll know it when I find it.

Frankly, I just don't want to be disappointed. ND and UC1 were the reason I ever bought a Playstation system in the first place. I thought UC2 was great but I really fell in love with UC3. I don't want to feel like they have already reached the pinnacle of what I am looking for in regards to my interactive/cinematic experiences.
It's nothing like UC3. It's the anti-UC3 if anything. If you imagine the difference between UC2 and 3, it's like the same leap again, but in the opposite direction.

LegendX48

Just finished on survivor + ..... My god it was even harder -_-

really? Survivor + felt a lot more forgiving I mean, seriously, the game randomly put full ammo for my shotgun straight into my backpack at one point which kinda bummed me out. Would've been better had it simply spawned ammo in the area for me to find but w/e I guess

Just beat it. One of the most satisfying game experiences I've ever had. I'm with those who absolutely loved it and think its one of the best ever but can't really bring myself to play it again.

Though I want a sequel or another new IP from the Naughty Gods.

LastNac

Your friend is the kind of people that annoy the fuck outta me. As far as I'm concerned there are not enough cutscenes.

This game is unforgiving. It's cruel what they're doing to Joel :( I let out an audible gasp when he fell on that rod...it was so sudden...and so sad. I was beginning to like David after he and I held off the swarm...then suddenly, they're cannibals? holy shit, fuck them all. Ellie should have killed him during the deer hunt. I'm at the part where Joel wakes up and you regain control. I want to steamroll everyone on my way to save Ellie. I am not going to sneak around. I'm gonna fucking blow everyone's limbs off on my way.

I know, right.

Damn people for wanting to actually play as opposed to watch!

Superflat

I was so engrossed and entertained that I didn't want it to end, which is frankly the criteria for a 10/10 game in my eyes.

I rarely score anything but I guess the closest thing would be the Giant Bomb method, where full marks is a game that I would strongly recommend. And this is one of those games.

Some human enemies act a bit dumb and your AI partner(s) occasionally break immersion by wandering right in front of the enemy; thankfully they're indestructible, or at least undetectable to enemies, so there's no frustration, only funny situations that break the suspension of disbelief.

I can see why invisible friendly AI could really bug people, but I guess my mind can more easily dismiss weird AI glitches and 'gamey' design choices, even in a game that puts importance in immersion. Sometimes enemies would stand still staring at something stupid, even if I was right next to them, slowly aiming a headshot.

These didn't happen often but they were probably the most glaring issues I had in the game. At one point I had AI running in and out of the same piece of cover in loop like headless chickens which gave me a laugh. At others, I would be able to see the seams of the AI pathfinding where they would slightly slide around or snap to animations, but that stuff is truly negligible.

But yea, like I said before TLOU has weaknesses, but to let them really ruin a significant amount of the game for you would seem strange to me, considering that the things it gets right, are things that virtually no other game has matched.

Sorian

Banned

Winter spoilers but you are already past the point I am going to refer too
Did you like how well they pulled off David being an ok guy and then suddenly "I think everything happens for a reason, for example, a couple of weeks ago I lost a lot of men and they said it was because of a guy and a little girl." My girlfriend started freaking out while he was delivering those lines. Also, for lolz, you should guess who David's VA is if you don't already know ;)

LastNac

It's nothing like UC3. It's the anti-UC3 if anything. If you imagine the difference between UC2 and 3, it's like the same leap again, but in the opposite direction.
I don't even know what to make of this. As you can certainly tell given past interactions we certainly don'thave the same tastes or look for the same things.
I am even more now doubtful that I will like it.

I know, right.

Damn people for wanting to actually play as opposed to watch!

If he wants to simply play and not care about story, dialogue and other cinematic stuff, he can go play Super Mario Galaxy or other games where there is not much emphasis on story. Or countless shootbang games. I personally love games like MGS, The Last of Us and Heavy Rain. I believe games like these are exactly tailor-made for people who have tastes like me in deep storylines, thought provoking narrative and well written characters. I never for ONCE felt the cutscenes were dragging or in the way of the game. I didn't want them to end, which shows how awesome they are.

LastNac

Personnaly I think that you should maybe try to form your own opinion on the game instead of always relying on your friend to feed you one....
Funny since I was the one who influenced him toward thinking the way he does, especially in regards towards the Uncharted series.

But you're probably right. Opinions are certainly different for everyone.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't even know what to make of this. As you can certainly tell given past interactions we certainly don'thave the same tastes or look for the same things.
I am even more now doubtful that I will like it.
I'm not saying you won't like it, but I'm pretty sure the specific things you've mentioned liking of UC3 aren't there, or at least to the same extent, there are a couple of things. It's attempting something very different though.

There's one scene I'm pretty sure will curl your toes though.

Neiteio

I can see why invisible friendly AI could really bug people, but I guess my mind can more easily dismiss weird AI glitches and 'gamey' design choices, even in a game that puts importance in immersion. Sometimes enemies would stand still staring at something stupid, even if I was right next to them, slowly aiming a headshot.

These didn't happen often but they were probably the most glaring issues I had in the game. At one point I had AI running in and out of the same piece of cover in loop like headless chickens which gave me a laugh. At others, I would be able to see the seams of the AI pathfinding where they would slightly slide around or snap to animations, but that stuff is truly negligible.

But yea, like I said before TLOU has weaknesses, but to let them really ruin a significant amount of the game for you would seem strange to me, considering that the things it gets right, are things that virtually no other game has matched.
I agree. Like I said in the bit after the part you quoted, the occasionally spotty AI is forgivable because it doesn't result in frustration, and because the game as a whole is so damn good.

Sorian

Banned
I agree. Like I said in the bit after the part you quoted, the occasionally spotty AI is forgivable because it doesn't result in frustration, and because the game as a whole is so damn good.

The only thing I found frustrated was a room full of clickers and I am moving as silent as can be and then *BANG BANG BANG* and my heart starts racing and I start freaking out thinking I'm about to get eaten and then I turn the camera and it is the AI running in circles for no reason at all. I don't mind that they are "invisible" until combat starts but they could have at least made it that if I am crouching around enemies that they have to crouch and move slowly as well.

LastNac

If he wants to simply play and not care about story, dialogue and other cinematic stuff, he can go play Super Mario Galaxy or other games where there is not much emphasis on story. Or countless shootbang games. I personally love games like MGS, The Last of Us and Heavy Rain. I believe games like these are exactly tailor-made for people who have tastes like me in deep storylines, thought provoking narrative and well written characters. I never for ONCE felt the cutscenes were dragging or in the way of the game. I didn't want them to end, which shows how awesome they are.
Oh God no, he and I are huge supporters of story telling in the interactive medium, almost pretentiously so. We just both feel that story does not equal cutscene nor should it. We want an interactive story, not just filler gameplay that bridges mini movies. I just want to be invited to participate in the story, not just watch it.

Winter spoilers but you are already past the point I am going to refer too
Did you like how well they pulled off David being an ok guy and then suddenly "I think everything happens for a reason, for example, a couple of weeks ago I lost a lot of men and they said it was because of a guy and a little girl." My girlfriend started freaking out while he was delivering those lines. Also, for lolz, you should guess who David's VA is if you don't already know ;)
He was too good to be true :( so readily accepting Ellie's barter, saving Ellie's life in a couple of instances and just being a gentleman during the whole swarm sequence...I know that in TLoU's world, that cannot be possible...so I was kinda ready for him being a not-so-good guy. But I had no idea that it was his men we were killing in the past 4-5 hours. As for the VA, this thread spoilered me.
I can tell you that not in a million years I could've guessed, though.

Airan

Whew, what an experience. Next playthrough I'm going to try harder to use my items instead of getting spotted like a dunce.

Also when viewing the Cinematics, does the "It's Me" have no sound or is it just my copy? It was fine in the actual game, just when I tried to view it again I got no sound.

LastNac

Holding forward on a stick for ten minutes is about the loosest definition of "playing" you can get.

This game is the anti-UC3, and it's vastly superior because of it.
All about context and the "why" and if you can't get that than I'm sorry. I gave my senior dissertation on interactive story telling and used that as my example. Saying you just "hold a stick down" is as belittling and as ignorant as saying David Copperfield is just about turning pages or Lawrence of Arabia is just about pushing "play" the mechanic itself is a vehicle to arrive to the deeper meaning and substance.

LastNac

I'm not saying you won't like it, but I'm pretty sure the specific things you've mentioned liking of UC3 aren't there, or at least to the same extent, there are a couple of things. It's attempting something very different though.

There's one scene I'm pretty sure will curl your toes though.
:)
I have heard the beginning is a fantastic ride. Why shouldn't it be, it was designed by the same gentleman who designed Chapter 18 in UC3.

Hype rising.

Sorian

Banned
He was too good to be true :( so readily accepting Ellie's barter, saving Ellie's life in a couple of instances and just being a gentleman during the whole swarm sequence...I know that in TLoU's world, that cannot be possible...so I was kinda ready for him being a not-so-good guy. But I had no idea that it was his men we were killing in the past 4-5 hours. As for the VA, this thread spoilered me.
I can tell you that not in a million years I could've guessed, though.

Shame it got spoilered for you. I saw the name in the credits (they actually have his name stand out in the credits because they do the whole "......and
*redacted*
as David") and I was like "of course it's him." I will say that (still winter spoilers, still something you have seen already and made mention of already)
I didn't see him being a cannibal until they ouright say it which surprised me because I've spotted that same twist in other games from a mile away but tyhey really caught me off-balance here for some reason

LegendX48

Whew, what an experience. Next playthrough I'm going to try harder to use my items instead of getting spotted like a dunce.

Also when viewing the Cinematics, does the "It's Me" have no sound or is it just my copy? It was fine in the actual game, just when I tried to view it again I got no sound.

yeah, its like that for me and a few others as well. In fact it used to just not be there at all lol

but anyways, to restore the sound just go to chapter select, play through that segment again and after you do just go back to cinematics and the sound will be restored.

All about context and the "why" and if you can't get that than I'm sorry. I gave my senior dissertation on interactive story telling and used that as my example.

Yeah, I read it

When I rant about why Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception is better than just about anything on the market -- about why I think it's my new favorite game of all time -- I don't talk about the firefights, the new ability to throw grenades back at enemies or collecting the game's 101 well-hidden treasures. I talk about the heart-wrenching section where Drake is by himself and completely lost. He's on his last legs, he's desperate, and I'm right there with him. I'm pushing him through the journey at hand and it's clear that it's a game, but as he stumbles, seeks shelter and loses hope, my heart breaks.

TLOU storytelling, interactive or otherwise, is vastly superior to anything in UC3. The subtleties in a character's body language, the nuance of an economical line of dialog, the environmental world building and storytelling(the game is peerless in that regard, better than anything Valve or Irrational Games), the little NPC asides and running jokes, the side stories you piece together through notes you find exploring the environment, the recurring iconography and what it says about the characters in the context of their current place in the journey.

Quite frankly, the automated holding forward intro is probably one of my least favorite parts of the game, so obviously from the UC3 school of interactive storytelling. It works well enough because of the great script and actors, but compared to all the other feats the game does, it's relatively outdated and showy.

Superflat

If he wants to simply play and not care about story, dialogue and other cinematic stuff, he can go play Super Mario Galaxy or other games where there is not much emphasis on story.

Yup. I love playing Fighting games, DMC3, Mario Galaxy, Dark Souls, DOTA 2, CS:GO, and SNES games because it's pure gameplay, whether it's because it's mechanically deep, or because there's a metagame aspect to it. I love them because they give me personal satisfaction, and a sense of growth in skill; like learning a new tool.

But that doesn't mean I can't also love games like Walking Dead, Heavy Rain, Journey, Mass Effect 2, Uncharted 2, and TLOU because I feel like they integrate good characters, narratives, and more than serviceable gameplay mechanics to give me emotional satisfaction, and a sense of growth in heart and imagination; like watching a good film or reading a book.

I think it's nuts how versatile video games are as a medium and I'm always bummed out when people are wishing for an end to certain kinds of games, or outright ignore them.

I gave my senior dissertation on interactive story telling and used that as my example. Saying you just "hold a stick down" is as belittling and as ignorant as saying David Copperfield is just about turning pages or Lawrence of Arabia is just about pushing "play" the mechanic itself is a vehicle to arrive to the deeper meaning and substance.

I never really understood the fervent complaints about it either. There are moments in games where it is a shallow experience, namely in sections where it's just about getting you to notice how many explosions are going off around you. But in moments like Chapter 18 of Uncharted 3 and the beginning of Uncharted 2, I found to be a clever manipulation of telling you what the character is going through with gameplay. A game mechanic as easy as running, jumping, and climbing was changed to express something different, and I liked that. TLOU also manipulates small gameplay events in ways I didn't expect, and in ways that I found just as significant and powerful, if not more than ND has done in the past.

LastNac

Yeah, I read it

When I rant about why Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception is better than just about anything on the market -- about why I think it's my new favorite game of all time -- I don't talk about the firefights, the new ability to throw grenades back at enemies or collecting the game's 101 well-hidden treasures. I talk about the heart-wrenching section where Drake is by himself and completely lost. He's on his last legs, he's desperate, and I'm right there with him. I'm pushing him through the journey at hand and it's clear that it's a game, but as he stumbles, seeks shelter and loses hope, my heart breaks.

TLOU storytelling, interactive or otherwise, is vastly superior to anything in UC3. The subtleties in a character's body language, the nuance of an economical line of dialog, the environmental world building and storytelling(the game is peerless in that regard, better than anything Valve or Irrational Games), the little NPC asides and running jokes, the side stories you piece together through notes you find exploring the environment, the recurring iconography and what it says about the characters in the context of their current place in the journey.

Quite frankly, the automated holding forward intro is probably one of my least favorite parts of the game, so obviously from the UC3 school of interactive storytelling. It works well enough because of the great script and actors, but compared to all the other feats the game does, it's relatively outdated.

Poor Greg...

I'm not gonna go that far but yes, I do take away deeper meaning from it. Also, watch it pal, keep your spoilers to yourself please.

To each his own, obviously you and I come to this medium expecting and wanting different things. Personally I like it all, from Demon's Souls to Uncharted
I am not so arrogant or naive to assume or demand that everything come from the same "school of storytelling". This medium has probably become the most diverse of its brothers and sisters and I love it for being so. Diversity is good, believe it or not, it gives us the choice to acknowledge and embrace the experiences that we love and respectfully move on from the ones we don't care for. Just because you dont like strawberry doesn't mean its a disguising flavor.

LastNac

I never really understood the fervent complaints about it either. There are moments in games where it is a shallow experience, namely in sections where it's just about getting you to notice how many explosions are going off around you. But in moments like Chapter 18 of Uncharted 3 I found to be a clever manipulation of telling you what the character is going through with gameplay. TLOU also manipulates small gameplay events in ways I didn't expect, and in ways that I found just as significant and powerful, if not more than ND has done in the past.

Thank you!!! And that is great to hear about those smaller moments in TLoU. Frankly those are the kinds of things I really wanted to see more of. Like I said, I'm looking forward to finally playing my copy.

Yup. I love playing Fighting games, DMC3, Mario Galaxy, Dark Souls, DOTA 2, CS:GO, and SNES games because it's pure gameplay, whether it's because it's mechanically deep, or because there's a metagame aspect to it. I love them because they give me personal satisfaction, and a sense of growth in skill; like learning a new tool.

But that doesn't mean I can't also love games like Walking Dead, Heavy Rain, Journey, Mass Effect 2, Uncharted 2, and TLOU because I feel like they integrate good characters, narratives, and more than serviceable gameplay mechanics to give me emotional satisfaction, and a sense of growth in heart and imagination; like watching a good film or reading a book.

I think it's nuts how versatile video games are as a medium and I'm always bummed out when people are wishing for an end to certain kinds of games.
I totally agree and it's the main reason why videogames are my #1 hobby as opposed to books, movies or comics. They can involve you in a way no other medium can, and the attachment you share is impossible in every other medium. I also do enjoy games for being games though like you said, and love a good dose of Ninja Gaiden or finding pieces for that ultimate armor. I have to thank FF7 and MGS1 for introducing me to "cinematic-games" though. And ever since then, I've been a fanboy.

Ok jumping back to the game. If you don't hear back from me, it's probably because my mind is all a gooey exploded mess. I have to say though, the game has proven to be 10/10 for me so far in every metric. Anything else remaining is just icing on the top.

Neiteio

Quite frankly, the automated holding forward intro is probably one of my least favorite parts of the game, so obviously from the UC3 school of interactive storytelling. It works well enough because of the great script and actors, but compared to all the other feats the game does, it's relatively outdated and showy.
Nicely put, although I didn't really mind the brief
"run for your life" prologue. It eschews the clockwork stealth sequences to come because its sole point is to set up Joel's past and the turning point where humanity fell. Speaking of which, those story elements made the opening interesting, even if that segment was simple and linear, mechanically speaking.

That's one of the parts that very well could have been a long ass cinematic. But the developers chose instead that you play through it, despite it being a very basic gameplay mechanic. I have to appreciate that as a gamer. It sets you up, orients you as a player with how the game works movement-wise, and establishes one of the strongest moments in the game as the basis of your character's attitude or worldview. You being a part of it helps solidify the experience.

Nothing spoilery, but just in case.

Top Bottom