• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

omonimo

Banned
I have to revise my previous statement about TLoU graphic. Tech wise it's probably one of the most impressive thing seen on ps3. Fps is not that terrible how a lot people claimed, it's look like the average fps of Crysis on console but in the worst part, so probably a lot of persons hasn't played anything on ps360 until now to claim below 10 fps (lol). Areas are incredibly huge, more than crysis 2, something more restricted, but it's quite impressive how vast is this game. Light system it's probably the best achievement of ND here. There are of course a mixed use of prebaked tech here & there, dynamic shadow isn't applied in all the environments with the torch, but it use a limited version of GI (DF mentioned something like this if I'm not wrong), so wow. Well, probably textures are the worst part like IQ, but the
snow level
it's just incredible, the top notch of the game. Only a complain: the use of SSAO is really buggy, like uncharted 3, when you rotate the camera too fast in the large area, the ground become black, quite terrible; imho ND to fix it before to release both games because it's quite horrible to see.
P.S.
I have forgot the gore part; the care of the details there it's even beyond Max Payne 3. Brutal, it remind me to the older Man Hunter of Rockstar on ps2.

JB1981

Just tried to play again. The game was stuck on 0% at the load screen before I called it quits. How does this shit pass QA?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Tried the multiplayer last night; didn't do very well but began to understand why and really, really enjoy it. It's nothing like traditional MP, but I definitely dislike the continuing trend of "to get all these upgrades you must kill people who already have them" aspect.

It's very well-thought-out, though. The "persistent" aspect was a big surprise and very addictive.

omonimo

Banned
Just tried to play again. The game was stuck on 0% at the load screen before I called it quits. How does this shit pass QA?

:| it tooks a lot of time because probably preload everything in the HDD cache I suppose, it's normal, not exactly a bug.

Veritas_

How the fuck do I get past this part
the underground tunnel right before the hospital, with those two fucking Bloaters in the end

What difficulty are you playing on? I played through on normal, so I had plenty of supplies for (weapon spoilers)
nailbombs and molotovs plus shotgun ammo
. So what I did is...
get as close to the groups as you can, set a bomb, try to pick off an infected with a rifle, then back peddle once they start charging you. Molotov + shotgun is like a 1 hit kill on normal difficulty bloaters. There's lots of room to shoot, run, shoot.

ScOULaris

Just got to the part where
the elevator falls and I have to find my way back up to Ellie. I just started a generator and immediately got swarmed by infected including one of the big guys who instantly killed me.

This is definitely the scariest segment I have encountered thus far in the game. I have to say, though. I much prefer fighting the humans. They feel more strategic and their AI is more interesting to watch in action.

JB1981

Deleted patch. Deleted current save data. Re downloaded old save data from cloud and copied to HDD. Game has finally loaded but I have lost progress

Footos22

What difficulty are you playing on? I played through on normal, so I had plenty of supplies for (weapon spoilers)
nailbombs and molotovs plus shotgun ammo
. So what I did is...
get as close to the groups as you can, set a bomb, try to pick off an infected with a rifle, then back peddle once they start charging you. Molotov + shotgun is like a 1 hit kill on normal difficulty bloaters. There's lots of room to shoot, run, shoot.

I never encountered these bloaters. I got killed by a stalker and next thing I know Joel says .Think we got them all. Lol

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Just beat the game! Great game. Not as good as I thought it would be. Story was lackluster. Characters were good but I prefer the two leads of Bioshock Infinite. Didn't see the emotional scenes that everyone talks about, there wasnt really any IMO. So Infinite remains my GOTY.

I never encountered these bloaters. I got killed by a stalker and next thing I know Joel says .Think we got them all. Lol
Heh, I was lucky with checkpoints during my first playthrough but I'm on my second now and that sort of thing has happened twice during different enemy encounters. At least it didn't mar my first experience with the game but it's a shame that the checkpoint system is kinda wonky...

Just finished the game on my first playthrough. It took a little over 20 hours for me. Game was amazing. It's easily in the running for my GOTY. The story, characters and acting was ubelievable. Anyone try out the unlockable optional renders? Kind of bummed the behind the scenes documentary is part of the season pass.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
While it is a great game I didnt notice the masterful storytelling. I have played plenty of games with better characters, way better stories, and more emotional scenes. It won't win my GOTY but it will win the most overrated game of the year.

Just beat the game! Great game. Not as good as I thought it would be. Story was lackluster. Characters were good but I prefer the two leads of Bioshock Infinite. Didn't see the emotional scenes that everyone talks about, there wasnt really any IMO. So Infinite remains my GOTY.

While it is a great game I didnt notice the masterful storytelling. I have played plenty of games with better characters, way better stories, and more emotional scenes. It won't win my GOTY but it will win the most overrated game of the year.

I think you're trying to tell us something, can't quite figure it out though.

the master-fulness is in the subtleties.

I never said I didn't like it; it works as it's intended, emotionally-gripping intro that immediately grabs your attention and interest, which is a good idea because the real game starts pretty slow with the world-building and tutorial stuff and then increasingly grows right up into that impeccable second half of the game. It's good, but there's so much better stuff in here that ND has learned how to do. As much as I enjoyed UC2 back in '09, this is really the peak of that interactive cinematic action/storytelling game they've been trying to make all generation. A game that works on equal measure because of it's story and it's gameplay, how they reflect each other, and how every element adds up to the whole, from the incredible art direction, the fantastic sound design, the dynamic AI routines and relatively open approach to level design(particularly in the second half), the visceral but believable approach to violence, all the great animations that still control really well, etc. It's their best work to date.

Excellent post. Totally agree.

TheExodu5

Banned

I feel it's probably the most naturally told story I've seen in a game. The character growth was spot on and entirely believable. Nothing felt out of place, as things normally do in video games. The ending was perfect.

Superflat

Characters were good but I prefer the two leads of Bioshock Infinite. Didn't see the emotional scenes that everyone talks about, there wasnt really any IMO. So Infinite remains my GOTY.

5q41Hyz.gif

Cloudy

Banned
Oh man, just left the Hydro plant area. Dem feels. I love this game

Characters were good but I prefer the two leads of Bioshock Infinite. Didn't see the emotional scenes that everyone talks about, there wasnt really any IMO. So Infinite remains my GOTY.

I couldn't disagree more. I didn't give a crap about Booker or Elizabeth throughout the game and was just glad to be finished with the tediousness of the whole thing. If things end badly for Joel and/or Ellie, I will probably cry lol

StuBurns

Banned
I don't want to concern you, but I think you played Fuse by mistake.

Wynnebeck

Banned
where I run into the black guy and black kid in the toy store.
Where am I in the game % wise? Getting towards the end?

One of Gaf's great debates

Circumcision or no circumcision
Tipping or no tipping
Batman Begins or The Dark Knight
The Last of Us or Bioshock: Infinite

:p

Personally, I think the actual story in Infinite is rather simplistic and not entirely convincing or cohesive. The world design on the otherhand is absolutely stunning. Such a beautifull game, but the narrative could be better.

Sorian

Banned

Hahahaha not even close. If you save your game and then hover over the save file, it'll give you a %. I'd venture to say you are 45-50%

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

Maybe half way through, or a little more, can't really remember to be honest.

potam

Banned

Around 60% I think. I beat most of the game this weekend in one big chunk, so my memory may be a bit off.

Not sure if the tag is necessary. Someone let me know if it isn't.

Sorian

Banned
Around 60% I think. I beat most of the game this weekend in one big chunk, so my memory may be a bit off.

Not sure if the tag is necessary. Someone let me know if it isn't.

No tag necessary for future reference. Your % is high though.

Hey, I had to be a little controversial! It's fine, god to me is best explained by Shadow Hearts which most people don't really think is a valid god interpretation anyway.

Top Bottom