• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

blackflag

What the fuck is up with this game... whenever I exit it, it fucking restarts the PS3... i have a super slim.

So frustrating.

Yeah it's crazy. I have a slim and it won't load the menu screen. If I try to update it crashes my PS3. When I eject the game and it quits, it crashes my PS3

MYE

If you have had a OG slim for a while, open it up and clean the balls of dust and cotton that builds up in the fan blades.

Its quite simple to do.

Andrew.

Banned
If you have had a OG slim for a while, open it up and clean the balls of dust and cotton that builds up in the fan blades.

Its quite simple to do.

How easy is it to take apart and put back together? I mean Im sure theres plenty of YT vids out there...

MYE

How easy is it to take apart and put back together? I mean Im sure theres plenty of YT vids out there...

Here is mine

nPCFZcg.jpg

I used this vid as a guide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgCI8myCnLI

I was scared shitless of doing it since I have no practice with this kind of stuff, but it was surprisingly simple and quick.

blackflag

But would that prevent the game from even starting to the menu screen or updating? Seems like something else.

I'm thinking about getting a used one from GS so I can at least take it back. I borrowed the other one from a friend to see if I'd like it. Nothing looked wrong with the disk though.

Majmun

I hope they found that dog ;_;

20 hours already. Damn. And you haven't even reached halfpoint yet lol

Can't wait for your next pics. I'm saving them on my phone. They look mindblowing on my S3. :p

Holy shit....20 hours and not even half way through. Definitely getting your money's worth. Would all these pics be considered spoilers for those that haven't made it to that point in the game? I mean people seem to tag shit like
university
all the time, so it just seems like posting visuals of all these locations might be spoiler-ish.

Septimius

Holy shit....20 hours and not even half way through. Definitely getting your money's worth. Would all these pics be considered spoilers for those that haven't made it to that point in the game? I mean people seem to tag shit like
university
all the time, so it just seems like posting visuals of all these locations might be spoiler-ish.

Well, stuff like
the seasons
is something that's not a critical spoiler, but I know I'd like to experience it without knowing, so when he gets to around then, it might be somewhat of a point.

I've seen all his pictures, though, and they're not giving away anything, really. It's just the same stuff anyone would know about the game having seen the E3 2012 demo, I recon.

iNvid02

so i booted this up again and started replaying the first chapter in bill's town when my PS3 fan starts going into overdrive. i dont think i've ever had it go into that "max setting" territory before, it handled everything like a champ during 2 playthroughs (its a 320gb slim)

might have been a one off but if this is the beginning of its downward descent then it could have done worse. the last 2 discs to grace your bluray drive will likely be tlou and gta 5 old friend

Septimius

so i booted this up again and started replaying the first chapter in bill's town when my PS3 fan starts going into overdrive. i dont think i've ever had it go into that "max setting" territory before, it handled everything like a champ during 2 playthroughs (its a 320gb slim)

might have been a one off but if this is the beginning of its downward descent then it could have done worse. the last 2 discs to grace your bluray drive will likely be tlou and gta 5 old friend

I wouldn't really think overheating to be a progressive thing. Either there's more dust, or it's hotter in your room this time around. 5 degrees difference can be all that's needed. Or just go nuts and try to get some dust out of there. I'm sure it'll be fine :>

Nowise10

Did anyone encounter white flashes in the game? Some areas, specifically when I got to the school with Bill it got really bad to the point I had to look away, as the game would constantly have this white glob that would flash incredibly fast on my TV

zma1013

university

Not really. Even though there's another thread called The Last of Us SPOILERS, this is still basically a spoiler thread. I wouldn't recommend reading this thread at all if you haven't played the game yet.

Joeki11a

Banned
Wow why it took 10+ hours for the gameplay to get fun?, thats all I will say. Hope the sequel goes more on that route than the boredfest I had to deal with for 10 hours

RDreamer

I like listen mode, and I think it's not cheap, it's a good representation of the tracking skills and sound listening that Joel has but we (as players) don't have, specially if we're not playing in 5:1 earphones and high volume to be able to hear the same as Joel hear. I liked a lot that listen mode can be avoided by enemies if they are sneaking because they realised of your presence.

But would love that listen mode don't give so many tips, as weapons, full silhuette of the character, etc, that give you info that Joel can't know. It would have been much better a generic silhuette of the kind of enemy (because of the different sound that they made) and tips about if it's getting closer of further.

I think if they do it again they should keep listen mode in, but nerf it a bit. It should probably have a recharge like multiplayer, or perhaps it can only be used when you've been stationary for a little bit. The idea behind it is that Joel's listening really hard, well you can't hear that stuff if you're moving around, so it should really only work when you're sitting in one spot. And it should probably show more generic outlines. Also, enemies should sneak a bit more and not show up as easily sometimes. I know when they're stationary they're unseeable, and that was cool when it happened, but I think you can still see them when they should be pretty quiet and sneaking.

Or they could just steal MGS4's sound ring idea.

Cloudy

Banned
Were any of you guys disappointed by the unlocks? I thought that we'd get some funny stuff like how naughty dog usually do for the uncharted series. I really thought that there'd be a Doughnut Joel skin or something.

The mood of this game totally goes against that

Izick

Said this in the spoiler thread, but I just beat the game and wow was it great. One of the best, most cohesive games I've played. I also think it's going to stay that way due to the story and themes, something where I think Bioshock Infinite faltered in some areas.

Just amazing.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
~This post contains spoilers at around 60%. Spoiler-tagged, of course.

One thing I love is the story of the world is mostly told through notes or environmental pieces. Right now I'm learning about
Ish and the group he created, only for most of them to die. I don't know what happened to Ish and Susan yet though.

It's awesome because characters I haven't even met feel so real and I'm rooting for them in-game.

zma1013

You think that is jaggy?

You must not play a lot of console games then.

Yeah, I just came off of playing Black Ops 2 on Xbox 360 right before getting The Last of Us and my god Black Ops 2 is such a horribly blurry ass game. I'm dumbfounded by how much a similarly scripted, linear game that doesn't push graphics is so blurry.

Superflat

Wow why it took 10+ hours for the gameplay to get fun?, thats all I will say. Hope the sequel goes more on that route than the boredfest I had to deal with for 10 hours

10+ hours for the gameplay to get fun? Were you doing a 50 hour playthrough? :U

Were any of you guys disappointed by the unlocks? I thought that we'd get some funny stuff like how naughty dog usually do for the uncharted series. I really thought that there'd be a Doughnut Joel skin or something.

I was a little disappointed initially because it seems like not every outfit from the game is available. There's a lot of new stuff though.

Joel will be rocking the military backpack and Ellie has a Angel Knives shirt on right now. The Daxter backpack + Jack&Daxter hoodie for Ellie is an adorable combination as well.

Just got past the part where
Ellie has to evade the child predator guy in the burning restaurant, damn that part was fucking intense! Especially after he goes stealthy
I love this game

Superflat

Replaying the game on easy, so I'm taking out basically every enemy and exploring every section thoroughly afterwards. Taking my time to stop and look at things in a more relaxed setting also brought to my attention a bunch of really cool Ellie animations and dialogue I didn't notice or get the first time (or the second). Really cool.

Vashetti

Banned
What the fuck is up with this game... whenever I exit it, it fucking restarts the PS3... i have a super slim.

So frustrating.

Happens every time for me (phat console).

The lack of single-player fixes in the 1.02 patch was a bit worrying I think.

I hope Naughty Dog aren't blinded by the "MASTERPIECE 10/10" responses (which are definitely deserved) and realise that there are actual glitches in the game that hamper the experience and need to be fixed.

Sullichin

Beat this today. Hard, listen off. Loved it overall. I got frustrated in several places because I died so many times. Embarrassingly, I died over 90 times on my playthrough! Having checkpoints in the middle of encounters would probably trivialize the difficulty, but it was still annoying to finally do one room perfectly and then fuck up, get killed and have to start over. That being said, the game was at its most intense when I fucked up but made it out alive. Take out a few enemies stealthily, get spotted, frantically equip a gun with one bullet in it and make it count. Tons of really intense moments. The only time I killed a
bloater______
was when
playing as Ellie
, otherwise they just seemed like far too much trouble to deal with so I sneaked past whenever possible. I tried fighting
the two near the end on the way to the hospital, but they didn't seem to care that I unloaded an entire flamethrower tank on both of them
so that didn't work out very well.

I preferred the indoor environments like
the hotel
over the more open, bigger outdoor areas that are designated for combat encounters. I was so impressed with the attention to detail and the uniqueness factor of every new area that hearing a few generic bad guys say "i'll search over here" was the closest the game came to ruining the illusion of its unique world. Still, the game takes many mechanics common to games and uses them in ways that don't feel stale or out of place. The looting, for example. Now, I liked eating apples out of toilets in Bioshock Infinite. I thought that game was similarly well paced compared to TLOU. But the looting here makes much more sense within the world. There's no weird dissonance that you should be saving the world but you're rummaging through trash cans while your partner is in dire distress. I absolutely loved the downtime between encounters, searching beautifully constructed, large one-off areas for any scraps of material I could find useful. In hard mode, materials were rare enough that I wanted to search every corner, and I felt rewarded when I would find 1/4 of a scissor blade. I hardly ever had a comfortable amount of ammo, shivs, or health packs to work with. And since I found the combat pretty difficult, there were definitely rooms that I didn't explore fully for loot or outright avoided because I was sneaking past enemies. TLOU gets a lot of praise for its storytelling and presentation but I was equally impressed with its gameplay. It felt like a survival horror / stealth mashup, and with the exception of a small amount of encounters
(the sniper section, mostly)
, didn't feel like something that I've played a hundred times already. I love the cinematic camera angles during melee attack, and how you're not invulnerable during these animations. AI partners might be oddly invisible to enemies most of the time, but they saved my ass on several occasions by pointing out enemies I couldn't see. I thought that was a nice touch.

Glad the game has NG+, but I'm not going to jump right back into it. I need a breather from this game. With Infinite, I was ready to play again immediately on 1999 mode and try out new tactics. TLOU's slower pace might not be as well suited for multiple playthroughs. I'm sure I'll revisit it though, and I haven't touched the multiplayer yet. I realize Infinite and TLOU are very different games, but I can't help but draw comparisons between the two because Infinite is still fresh in my memory. On that subject, Ellie and Elizabeth have a lot in common, which is clear if you played both games. I mean, (spoilers for both games),
you rescue the girl from a surgery that is supposed to harness her special ability at the end of both games
, and so on. Anyway, for now they both have spots as the best games I've played this year so far.

Dennis

Banned
Beat this today. Hard, listen off. Loved it overall. I got frustrated in several places because I died so many times. Embarrassingly, I died over 90 times on my playthrough! Having checkpoints in the middle of encounters would probably trivialize the difficulty, but it was still annoying to finally do one room perfectly and then fuck up, get killed and have to start over. That being said, the game was at its most intense when I fucked up but made it out alive. Take out a few enemies stealthily, get spotted, frantically equip a gun with one bullet in it and make it count. Tons of really intense moments. The only time I killed a
bloater______
was when
playing as Ellie
, otherwise they just seemed like far too much trouble to deal with so I sneaked past whenever possible. I tried fighting
the two near the end on the way to the hospital, but they didn't seem to care that I unloaded an entire flamethrower tank on both of them
so that didn't work out very well.

I preferred the indoor environments like
the hotel
over the more open, bigger outdoor areas that are designated for combat encounters. I was so impressed with the attention to detail and the uniqueness factor of every new area that hearing a few generic bad guys say "i'll search over here" was the closest the game came to ruining the illusion of its unique world. Still, the game takes many mechanics common to games and uses them in ways that don't feel stale or out of place. The looting, for example. Now, I liked eating apples out of toilets in Bioshock Infinite. I thought that game was similarly well paced compared to TLOU. But the looting here makes much more sense within the world. There's no weird dissonance that you should be saving the world but you're rummaging through trash cans while your partner is in dire distress. I absolutely loved the downtime between encounters, searching beautifully constructed, large one-off areas for any scraps of material I could find useful. In hard mode, materials were rare enough that I wanted to search every corner, and I felt rewarded when I would find 1/4 of a scissor blade. I hardly ever had a comfortable amount of ammo, shivs, or health packs to work with. And since I found the combat pretty difficult, there are definitely rooms that I didn't explore fully for loot or outright avoided because I was sneaking past enemies. TLOU gets a lot of praise for its storytelling and presentation but I was equally impressed with its gameplay. It felt like a survival horror / stealth mashup, and with the exception of a small amount of encounters
the sniper section, mostly
, didn't feel like something that I've played a hundred times already. I love the cinematic camera angles during melee attack, and how you're not invulnerable during these animations. AI partners might be oddly invisible to enemies most of the time, but they saved my ass on several occasions by pointing out enemies I couldn't see. I thought that was a nice touch.

Glad the game has NG+, but I'm not going to jump right back into it. I need a breather from this game. With Infinite, I was ready to play again immediately on 1999 mode and try out new tactics. TLOU's slower pace might not be as well suited for multiple playthroughs. I'm sure I'll revisit it though, and I haven't touched the multiplayer yet. I realize Infinite and TLOU are very different games, but I can't help but draw comparisons between the two because Infinite is still fresh in my memory. On that subject, Ellie and Elizabeth have a lot in common, which is clear if you played both games. I mean, (spoilers for both games),
you rescue the girl from a surgery that is supposed to harness her special ability at the end of both games
, and so on. Anyway, for now they both have spots as the best games I've played this year so far.

I die lots of times and sometimes get pissed off but on the other hand, lowering the difficulty would remove the crucial tension from the game.

The level of detail they put into the abandoned apartments and other areas you only visit briefly are mindblowing.

I die lots of times and sometimes get pissed off but on the other hand, lowering the difficulty would remove the crucial tension from the game.

The level of detail they put into the abandoned apartments and other areas you only visit briefly are mindblowing.

there are certain parts that are unbalanced....

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I don't think any part of the game is unbalanced. Some parts are a little harder than others... but I've been through the game now on survivor and gotten through some of the toughest sections with barely anything but a brick or bottle and a round or two of ammunition.

I just want to take a second to thank ND for doing stealth that doesn't require you to constantly fucking crouch. When I play, Joel walks around like a bad motherfucker... like something out of No Country for Old Men. And you can do this, walk around, even run, and stalk guys like a predator. It is really entertaining for me.

I love stealth games... but I'm kinda getting tired of slow-ass crouch-walking. You don't have to do it in TLoU and I applaud/thank ND for it.

All praise should go to those outsourced Chinese companies credited at the end.

Top Bottom