• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Triz

I did that part on Survivor last night. I cheesed it a bit:

If you position yourself facing the doorway when you pick up the keycard, the stalkers that instantly spawn won't come in straight away. They just.. run around a bit waiting for you to come out. Eventually they'll get sick of waiting and come in one by one, making it a lot easier to take them out. Now with the generator, I just bolted to the door straight after I turned it on. Didn't even bother fighting.

You can cheese it more by already having the card before you turn on the generator.

aparisi2274

This god damn game stresses me out so much, but in an awesome, awesome way!!

I just saved after
Ellie shot the guy that was strangling Joel in the hotel.

I am at about 46% complete and can't wait to pick it up again tomorrow night.

just beat it, took me 18 hours and 18 minutes an like 6 seconds, only if it was 18 seconds ha. Yet I apparently missed a bunch of collectibles anyway. Really glad their is a new game+ will make the harder modes easier and much more enjoyable since you have your whole arsenal from the beginning.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
just beat it, took me 18 hours and 18 minutes an like 6 seconds, only if it was 18 seconds ha. Yet I apparently missed a bunch of collectibles anyway. Really glad their is a new game+ will make the harder modes easier and much more enjoyable since you have your whole arsenal from the beginning.

no, you don't.

huh... winter.
Am I the only one that kinda wish ps3 had tressfx?
:p

This is probably the fifth spoiler you've posted in as many pages. And this is a big one. It's incredibly inconsiderate.

Things really pick up in Winter.

I was wondering when Cannibalism would rear its head. Why you gotta eat people like that Nolan North? Also Joel is a bad mother fucker.

Akainu

My brother borrowed this and it's pretty great. Maybe Naughty God should make a stealth game.

Is this Savage Starlight a real comic? I notice it has dark horse on the back.

One thing I hate. When things just come out of nowhere.
I searched that whole place under the hotel and then I find a card and things start pouring out of nowhere. It was the same when my curiosity started the generator.

So reached Spring. About how many approx hours do I have left? It's 11:30pm and was wondering if I can go through the ending tonight or do it tomorrow.

Mentioned this earlier but got no responses: Started a New Game+ and it doesn't list any of the artifacts that I found in my initial playthrough. My first save file shows 105 collectibles found but my NG+ file only shows like 33. Lists the skill books but no Pendants or Notes. My upgrades carried over but nothing to help me find what artifacts I do or do not have. Is this a glitch or do I really have no way of knowing what artifacts I need to find (other than the numbers shown on Chapter Select)?

MYE

So reached Spring. About how many approx hours do I have left? It's 11:30pm and was wondering if I can go through the ending tonight or do it tomorrow.

If you dont feel tired, finish it tonight.
I did Winter to Spring to Ending in two sittings today.

If you're playing on Hard, go to bed :p

StoopKid

This god damn game stresses me out so much, but in an awesome, awesome way!!

I just saved after
Ellie shot the guy that was strangling Joel in the hotel.

I am at about 46% complete and can't wait to pick it up again tomorrow night.

lol im at the same point.

Zertez

Have there been any reported issues with video and audio stuttering during cutscenes in Last of Us? I have been playing through the UC series lately and there have been a lot of issues with cutscenes from audio out of sync, stuttering, freezing etc. The reason I ask here is because I have an unopened copy of Last of Us ready to play, but dont want to open it, if Im going to have problems.

The UC disc are flawless with no scratches, I tried cleaning up the file system to make sure I had no corrupted files and also cleaned the OS. Nothing seem to work. The only other game I have an issue with is the Walking Dead by Telltale. That game is a mess of stuttering and video problems. The rest of my PS3 games dont have any problems except the UC series and Walking Dead. Any ideas how to fix the issues or if my PS3 is on its way out?

Edit: Thinking about it now, Borderlands 2 also has a video problem with cutscenes.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
If you dont feel tired, finish it tonight.
I did Winter to Spring to Ending in two sittings today.

If you're playing on Hard, go to bed :p

I keep glimpsing stuff about the seasons in this thread and getting confused.
I'm just after the point these guys above me reached. It seems like the whole journey so far has had an autumnal setting, but I might be being really dense...

Does it clearly change seasons to point out big milestones, or is this just how people refer to 'chunks' of the game?

Replicant

I did that part on Survivor last night. I cheesed it a bit:

If you position yourself facing the doorway when you pick up the keycard, the stalkers that instantly spawn won't come in straight away. They just.. run around a bit waiting for you to come out. Eventually they'll get sick of waiting and come in one by one, making it a lot easier to take them out. Now with the generator, I just bolted to the door straight after I turned it on. Didn't even bother fighting.

Yup.
Get the keycard and dispatch the 4 stalkers first. Then turn on the generator and run like a sprinter. Post getting out of that Hell hole on Survivor, I realized how hard my heart was beating even though I didn't feel it while I was on adrenalin avoiding every freaks down there. And oh, on my 1st playthrough on Normal, the fucking bloater was right behind me after I turned on the generator so I had a shock, Jurassic Park style.

MYE

I keep glimpsing stuff about the seasons in this thread and getting confused.
I'm just after the point these guys above me reached. It seems like the whole journey so far has had an autumnal setting, but I might be being really dense...

Does it clearly change seasons to point out big milestones, or is this just how people refer to 'chunks' of the game?

Game unfolds through seasons and informs you of every transition.

antitrop

I would say just finish all of Spring tomorrow with a good night's rest and prepare yourself for the experience of finishing this game.

Fess

Finished my first play through last night. Wow. How can ND ever top this? By far their best game ever made, up there with the very best of the generation.
10/10

Kvik

I think El Diablo is my new favourite gun. Totally demolished that
small encampment before the ranch when Ellie ran off

Finished my first play through last night. Wow. How can ND ever top this? By far their best game ever made, up there with the very best of the generation.

Just finished TLoU for the first time as well tonight. 27 hours 18 minutes. Played Hard, with no listening mode (so glad I did, it was sooo intense and worth it!. Damn, this a masterpiece of an experience. I've got the exact same feelings as the quote above. I'd go so far as saying it could be the best game I've ever (EVER) played as a complete experience. By far the Game of the Generation for me (and I know, I know, GoTG gets thrown around every week here on GAF). The only other game that evoked so emotion, or had me this invested in the presentation, storytelling, ending, ect... Would be Metal Gear Solid 3. I thought that was the best game + experience + emotional ending I'd ever see.... I'm glad that I've been proven wrong! ND has my utter respect and gratitude for creating this game! Wow!!...

Grinchy

Banned
10/10

I'm wondering how the hell they can ever make another Uncharted game after this. It makes Uncharted look like it was made by amateurs.

damidu

finished hard playtrough, took around 18 hours and the ending made me depressed.
game has some really strong characterization and storytelling, rarely seen in the medium.
kudos to ND

Nowise10

I just got done with the game. One of the best game I've ever played. Really flipping amazing stuff.

During the last "battle" I had to switch the difficulty to Easy, when I did the entire game on Hard, because I just couldnt do it. I spent 20 minutes in one run taking my time and getting every enemy, and I shit you not, I got to the last enemy in the room, and shot at him, and I thought he was dead, I run out, and nope. He shoots me and I get sent back 20 minutes. So I flipped the difficulties and blasted through it. Im disappointed in myself, but oh well.

Just finish it on survivor
the last part before you grab Ellie was rough, had one bar of health and no alcohol. Ended up going all ninja-like till i was in front of the door and ran for it.
Soo good! ha letting my friend borrow my PS3 just to play this

Neiteio

So what are folks thinking the DLC will be? I personally hope it's some kind of horde mode.
Something like VR missions in MGS where you go through encounter after encounter would be nice.

They've confirmed there will be some single-player story content. But perhaps speculation regarding this would be better suited for the spoiler thread!

mxgt

Banned
Finished it yesterday, hard difficulty without listen and it took me 16 hours 44 minutes, got 109 collectibles.

Really enjoyed it overall, got a bit tiresome towards the end but the storytelling and visual quality is some of the best I've seen in a video game. 8/10.

Radec

Winter and Spring really shows how beautiful this game is.

How do they do it on a console that was designed like in 2005.

Jobbs

Banned
Still playing my way through on hard, liking the game a lot. Ellie's amusing.
A little while ago when I was trying to get away from that gun truck, in the alley behind it, a dude came -- I was getting ready to sneak up on him and ellie jumped on his back and shived him. I reacted audibly to that, here alone in my room in the middle of the night.

Right now I'm working my way through some
sewers with the dude and his little brother.

Some general thoughts based on the game so far (which for me is a little more than half, if the % on the save file is any indication): I think "hard" IS the appropriate difficulty setting. I've only played on hard, and it's really not that hard. It's a moderate challenge. And for a while now I've been maxed out on everything I can craft and every ingredient, except for blade, which I never seem to find enough of. I conserve, I save, I don't use these various implements of destruction I have unless I NEED to, and so far I really don't NEED to. I don't sneak by everything, either, I generally take everyone out.

In short? "Hard" is a moderate challenge, it's fun but not frustrating. I know for absolute certain this game would not be as fun for me if it were any easier.

Still playing my way through on hard, liking the game a lot. Ellie's amusing.
A little while ago when I was trying to get away from that gun truck, in the alley behind it, a dude came -- I was getting ready to sneak up on him and ellie jumped on his back and shived him. I reacted audibly to that, here alone in my room in the middle of the night.

Right now I'm working my way through some
sewers with the dude and his little brother.

Some general thoughts based on the game so far (which for me is a little more than half, if the % on the save file is any indication): I think "hard" IS the appropriate difficulty setting. I've only played on hard, and it's really not that hard. It's a moderate challenge. And for a while now I've been maxed out on everything I can craft and every ingredient, except for blade, which I never seem to find enough of. I conserve, I save, I don't use these various implements of destruction I have unless I NEED to, and so far I really don't NEED to. I don't sneak by everything, either, I generally take everyone out.

In short? "Hard" is a moderate challenge, it's fun but not frustrating. I know for absolute certain this game would not be as fun for me if it were any easier.

You won't find survivor to be too much harder either then. I know when I did my first playthrough I thought hard was a decent challenge, but after a couple of weeks of multiplayer I think Survivor difficulty is actually easier than putting it on hard lol

ShogunX

Am I the only one who wasn't that affected (or at all) when Tess
ate lead
?

No.
She was a pretty unlikable character and I hope her death is not part of the great story telling people talk about after they have finished the game

Aright guys. I woke up this morning with a goal.

I am going to platinum this game. I only need to collect the rest of the collectabls, shiv doors, listen to conversations, listen to
Ellie's jokes
, upgrade all weapons, upgrade a single supplement, and do the mp stuff. The multiplayer trophies don't look too bad to complete. I already beat the game on survivor+ so I am going to go through on easy just to see what it is like and just how much it differs from hard and survivor.

Wish me luck.

No.
She was a pretty unlikable character and I hope her death is not part of the great story telling people talk about after they have finished the game

Not at all. No spoilers beyond your post's:
I viewed it honorably, I didn't feel sad. She died to that we could have a moment to escape, and she was a goner once she was bitten anyway.

41% Complete, 16 hours in.

I haven't seen anything saying Fall or whatever so I assume I am still in Summer.

You'll know. There will be a splash screen with the season on it.

Quoted for new page

Aright guys. I woke up this morning with a goal.

I am going to platinum this game. I only need to collect the rest of the collectabls, shiv doors, listen to conversations, listen to
Ellie's jokes
, upgrade all weapons, upgrade a single supplement, and do the mp stuff. The multiplayer trophies don't look too bad to complete. I already beat the game on survivor+ so I am going to go through on easy just to see what it is like and just how much it differs from hard and survivor.

Wish me luck.

Paganmoon

Am I the only one who wasn't that affected (or at all) when Tess
ate lead
?

I think it has to do
with us not getting to know the character for more than, what was it 30 minutes? didn't have any attachment to her.
. At least part of the reason as I see it.

Btw, not sure if it's been brought up but the Soundtrack is available on Spotify for those interested.

Wish me luck.

Good luck :)

kubus

I'm about 44% in,
I just reached the part at the hotel where you fall down the elevator into the water, leaving Ellie behind.

So far I'm not really sure if I'm playing it right. I'm playing on Hard with Listen Mode off. Maybe that's it, but I've heard that Hard+No Listen is the way to play this game and I gotta agree, the game is really intense. I'm on the edge of my seat everytime and when I get out of a clicker-infested building I need a few secs to relax and process everything that just happened. It's so good.

But there have been situations where I got stuck for more than an hour, and these parts are incredibly frustrating. Worst was the part where
you get into the high school with Bill, and you need to get through a hallway with a runner and a clicker, and then through a classroom
. I was stuck there for more than an hour... And there's only so many ways you can go about in that room. I tried to do stealth because I was running really low on supplies and I just can't handle 3 clickers and 5 runners coming at me at full force (I tried, multiple times). Eventually I got lucky and 2 clickers both dropped nail bombs and I boobytrapped the room and was able to get through the
classroom
. Also sneaked past the other three runners up ahead by causing a distraction somewhere else, making them shuffle past me and allowing me to go right to the door. ...At which point,
Bill says we need to wipe all the infected out first. God I was pissed. All that trouble to go through that section with stealth and the runners were really far away. Why did I have to go back and finish them off?!

This part nearly killed all my enjoyment of the game, but luckily I was able to get it done and move on. Parts after that were great. Still got a little stuck
when you had to move through the entire house with the ambushers - couldn't find the exit :p
but it was far less frustrating.

I hope I won't run into the same situation again. I feel like I'm still trying to get used to the game mechanics, or I am just too panicky. Like when I'm trapped between two clickers and I have no idea what to do. I try to throw a bottle far away in hopes they go the other direction, but instead they rush at me instead of the bottle... Like they heard that I was throwing it. Stuff like this is great - because it's realistic - but also very frustrating at times...

Do you guys think that setting the difficulty lower would fix some of my problems with the game? I'd rather go along with Hard because I don't want to pussy out, but I don't want to kill my enjoyment of the game either. I don't know what's up ahead. Is it gonna get worse? (And yeah I heard some stuff about the part I'm heading into now... Oh god wish me luck)

Dennis

Banned
I often try to clear an area by stealth first but after spending half an hour only to be one-shot killed by a clicker, I often end up just blasting and punching my way through.

Hard + No Listen (because Listen is cheap, cheating and shameful) here.

I often try to clear an area by stealth first but after spending half an hour only to be one-shot killed by a clicker, I often end up just blasting and punching my way through.

Hard + No Listen (because Listen is cheap, cheating and shameful) here.

I wasn't a believer in "no listen" until I played survivor (it is forced off on that mode). I have seen the light my brothers.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
41% Complete, 16 hours in.

I haven't seen anything saying Fall or whatever so I assume I am still in Summer.

Haha, same with me. Kept seeing all these "OMG Fall" posts and was wondering if I was missing anything. Surprised to learn that basically half the game is summer. Very anxious to see what all the fuss is about in the second half...

Septimius

I have no problem playing the game with no listen mode. But I know I should just turn off the music, because then I could use my headphones to figure out where stuff is anyway. So that means I'd have to turn on and off music for every encounter. Obviously, that's not really what I want. If there was an easy way to only turn off encounter music, I'd be in business. But it's important for me to hear where people are, and the music can get in the way of that.

Top Bottom