• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

DukeBobby

Fuck shiv-master. If you get grabbed by a Clicker then you fucked up, end of story.

Save those bad boys for the shiv doors and on a Survivor run, you NEED the shiv doors as well as all the safe combos.

Yeah, shiv master is pointless. I'd rather die than use one my precious shivs.

You'll only lose a few minutes of progress anyway.

Finally finished the game on hard. Took me 22 hours and an embarassing amount of deaths. The assault rifle must be the most worthless weapon in the whole game at that point and I am still torn what to think about the game. Technically superior first class story telling versus the often mediocre experience with cheating/stupid/scripted enemies. I rather would have seen smarter enemies than gorgeously lit landscape. All in all a great ride and hopefully part 2 is already in development.

Melchiah

haha well to each his own. I think we both agree that someone who gets grabbed often enough should buy the upgrade. Someone who never does doesn't need it and would be wasting his upgrade supplies by buying it. Sneaking around is the best part of the game to me.

It certainly was useful for me. =) I don't tend to play games on hard, RFoM being the only exception, so the normal difficulty offered me a plenty of challenge, even with the upgrade. I remember the early part of the game, before having points to put on Shiv Master, being even frustratingly challenging at certain points. Sometimes I didn't even know why I alerted a Clicker, or I just happened to be too close to one of them, which made the ability even better as a backup. Not to mention those parts, like
the the hotel's cellar and the sewers
, where a swarm of the infected stormed on you.

Sometimes I think the "incorrect" way of playing can create more tension, and serve to increase the atmosphere. One example could be Dead Island, where I dreaded the confrontations with the Rams, until I learned how to beat them easily. After that, they became far less intimidating, and that in turn lessened the feeling of fear.

Any word from ND about these phatty PS3 issues? I bought the game yesterday not realizing how widespread the issues are. I can't even get past the opening cutscene!
That sucks dude :/ My phatty is fine, but for some reason they are several PS3 games namely The Last of Us and Heavy Rain which behave very weird on certain consoles. One of my friends has loading times above 3 minutes in these games and is experiencing constant audio drops and freezing issues, but every other game runs perfectly fine. At the same time I can play through these games 3 times in a row without a single glitch. I really don't know how this can even happen in a closed console environment when the unit itself is not broken and the game is running fine for most people. It should run the same for everyone, but for some reason it doesn't.

I really don't know how Naughty Dog could even fix this, when there is no common pattern. My friend who has these problems has the exact same PS3 model as me. Really weird.

The only reasons I can really think off:

-Overheating (clean your PS3)
-Firmware (update to the latest one?)
-External peripherals connected to the PS3 (unplug everything)
-Blu-ray drive doesn't read as fast as it should, which only becomes a problem with really demanding games
-Issues with the PS3 database (you can rebuild it using the recovery mode)

It's definitely not disc based, as my friend's disc plays in my PS3 just fine, but not in his. I always think it could have something to do with fragmentation of the PS3 hard drive, but the way Linux works it technically should reduce fragmentation to a minimum.

Maybe you should try to replace the hard drive if you can just to see what happens.

Any word from ND about these phatty PS3 issues? I bought the game yesterday not realizing how widespread the issues are. I can't even get past the opening cutscene!

Someone from NaughtyDog was asked about it in an interview and he said that he heard that it had something to do with the Ps3s firmware and he has no further information.

The only thing this game needed was a knocking move kind of like Metal Gear where you could knock on the walls to make noise to distract the enemy AI.

RoKKeR

Man, the extended moments of time when the game slows down and lets you relax is what takes it to a whole new level. Walking through abandoned houses, scrounging for supplies, hearing remarks from Ellie about the things she sees, reading the stories of those who once inhabited this place, (
I'm currently uncovering the story of Ish after escaping those god damned sewers
) it's absolutely sublime.

The game of darts. :) And Joel fail haha

lmpaler

Fuck shiv-master. If you get grabbed by a Clicker then you fucked up, end of story.

Save those bad boys for the shiv doors and on a Survivor run, you NEED the shiv doors as well as all the safe combos.

Add listen Mode the that and it is agreeable. I turned mine off after I found out it was in the game from the tutorials. Along with melee prompts and hints

ZeroRay

Man, playing the opening of
Pittsburgh
on Survivor is one of the most intense gaming experiences I've had in a while.

Playing the
Hotel Lobby/Basement
on Hard for the first time gave me more tension and fear - but the fact that I knew the mechanics very well in my new playthrough - combined with the lack of supplies and bullets got me going to an almost different plane.

RPGCrazied

Wow, I just now notice this game can play in 1080p mode and I've already beat the game once. Unlike saying 720p on the back of the box. A lot of games when you force 1080p won't even work, and will run at 480p if you have 720p and 1080i not selected.

Looks much more crisp.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
7eDWfqW.jpg

Aww yeah, I loves me some Football Lager Beer!

Man, the extended moments of time when the game slows down and lets you relax is what takes it to a whole new level. Walking through abandoned houses, scrounging for supplies, hearing remarks from Ellie about the things she sees, reading the stories of those who once inhabited this place, (
I'm currently uncovering the story of Ish after escaping those god damned sewers
) it's absolutely sublime.

The game of darts. :) And Joel fail haha
Yeah that part was great. What follows after that not so much lol

Vashetti

Banned
Wow, I just now notice this game can play in 1080p mode and I've already beat the game once. Unlike saying 720p on the back of the box. A lot of games when you force 1080p won't even work, and will run at 480p if you have 720p and 1080i not selected.

Looks much more crisp.

That works when you deselect 1080i, 720p, 576p in display settings right?

Does it affect performance in anyway?

My TV is native 1080p and TLOU already looks stunning in 720p on it.

RPGCrazied

That works when you deselect 1080i, 720p, 576p in display settings right?

Does it affect performance in anyway?

My TV is native 1080p and TLOU already looks stunning in 720p on it.

Right. And no, I haven't see any performance issues, well, not yet anyway. I'm still fairly early in the game. Though the only thing I hate is tearing, and this game doesn't have that.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Yeah, shiv master is pointless. I'd rather die than use one my precious shivs.

You'll only lose a few minutes of progress anyway.

No, the shiv upgrades are actually really important if you want to conserve shivs and resources. I know that doesn't make much intuitive sense, but it's kind of true.

There are a few points in the game where being able to shiv a clicker is quite helpful, as it saves you from an all-out resource-burning fight. Especially if you don't have arrows.

With the upgrades you can keep a shiv in reserve for stealth combat, and kill up to three clickers with only one! I usually do this when I start to get too many shivs that you have to leave one behind... instead I will use the three charges to kill three clickers or whatever and then pick up that shiv I couldn't carry before.

Since having the upgrades, I seem to always have three shivs on me at all time. One of them might not be able to open a door (because it's not fully charged) but I can open with the other two.

It's a big relief to be able to shiv a clicker now and then... that's why the upgrade helps, cause you can use that one shiv three times.

edit: It's possible I am confusing the upgrades with the survival books. lol

Jarnet87

There's been two patches so far with minimal single-player fixes.

I'm a little worried that ND may be blinded by the "10/10 masterpiece!" reviews and not acknowledge that there are several glitches in the single-player.

Guess I was lucky not to have any freezing or crashes on my phat PS3. I only had one glitch. It was one of the first infected encounters. When I grabbed an infected and choked him I fell through the world lol, popped back up and then the camera was stuck.

Boss Man

Finally got around to ordering this game.

Hope it lives up to the hype! Damn PS3 library won't stop...I wanted to sell it before PS4 came out.

RPGCrazied

The only glitch I saw in my 17 hours of playing was when an enemy guy falls through the floor of a house, and you can only see his head. Pretty comical, and was hard to hit him.

No Love

Banned
I had a very vivid dream (still remember it) last night that I was infected.

However, I was still me, but other infected could sense that I was infected and wouldn't attack me, but they'd look at me. For some reason the infection didn't affect me, and the two other infected I was dealing with could force themselves back to normalcy and would sneak into uninfected people's camps and trick them.

It was pretty damn freaky. I haven't played this game in over a week since I beat it, either.

Naughty Gods *bow*

Just seeing Ellen Page's face irritates the fuck out of me recently with her comments on TLOU.

Edit: New page fuckkkkk

BUY THIS GAME NOW
The only reason you feel so strongly about the Ellen situation is because you played the game and have experienced Ellie as a character now. Before release, when nearly everyone else has just seen her face, its very easy to be on be on her side, as I would have been before I beat it.

Grinchy

Banned
I had 3 areas completely devoid of the enemies that were supposed to be there. I think they were all glitched because I saved when I first got there and then came back to the area later, finding that all the enemies were gone.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I just passed/won the huge fight at the abandoned
library
with all the
Hunters
. Not really a spoiler but eh.

Pretty tense stuff.

Encountered some silly Ellie-in-front-of-the-enemies moments again, but they're not bothering me anymore I guess (although they still looked stupidly silly nonetheless!)

Also fucking Yuri Lowenthal everywhere.

Anyways, still far from here?

The only reason you feel so strongly about the Ellen situation is because you played the game and have experienced Ellie as a character now. Before release, when nearly everyone else has just seen her face, its very easy to be on be on her side, as I would have been before I beat it.

The overall thing was overblown to the moon. Her getting a bit upset to her likeness being used originally was understandable, but a lot of gamers fussing around treating the whole issue much bigger than she herself actually did.

RoKKeR

Oh shit!
SALT LAKE CITY!
Hell yeah my hometown!

Just got that info from the tape recorder.
It's been a hell of a few hours, damn. I don't want it to end.

Oh my God, the end of the
university sequence.
Speechless.

Andrew.

Banned
I didn't experience a single glitch in my my first run through the game. It was a flawless experience.

Me neither. Also, none of the AI ever walked in front of me or within my sight to look stupid in front the enemy. It was completely perfect.

I notice it more now, but only because I'm moving so fast between scenarios (sixth run). Your speed definitely affects the experience overall.

rataplein

ok, i beat the game a 2nd time. i failed to get all the conversations (36/37) and shiv doors (12/13) but got all the artifacts and comics. it is ANNOYING because i was following a guide. probably some save file glitch). i'll get them on survivor +

survivor was EASIER than my first "hard" run... it think it was because i was more familiar with the game. even though i used listen mode on the hard run.

but i think that knowing that you can fist fight most runners (extremely easy when you have backup) and burning groups of 4 or more clickers with a molotov helped. and then you have the flamethrower wich using it in short bursts can handle EVERY enemy possible...)

awesome game.

Andrew.

Banned
ok, i beat the game a 2nd time.

survivor was EASIER than my first "hard" run... it think it was because i was more familiar with the game. even though i used listen mode on the hard run.

but i think that knowing that you can fist fight most runners (extremely easy when you have backup) and burning groups of 4 or more clickers with a molotov helped. and then you have the flamethrower wich using it in short bursts can handle EVERY enemy possible...)

awesome game.

Congrats. You now know how to properly play The Masterpiece =D/XD

Now: Play again. Without Listen Mode.

Do it.

Now.

So my save says I'm 62% complete. Is that 62% of the collectibles or the story?

For what it's worth,
I just met back up with my brother and his wife at the dam.

Well, I just finished Survivor+. That was my third and final playthrough. I guess I'll just have to move on to lesser games now...

/sadness

Playing this makes me want to actually start my comic I had a dream of years ago: I was the main character and it detailed the survival and degradation/destruction of the group I was with (my brother, best friend, and others) over the course of a zombie-ish outbreak.

The dream lasted years. It was the most intense, exhausting, emotional, frightening thing I've ever experienced. I probably won't do it though. :p

RoKKeR

WINTER. Just took control of Joel.

This game, I can't fucking believe it. It just doesn't let up, the quality never slips, it just keeps getting better and better. And now I'm done for the day and I know I'll be thinking over everything I did today before I get a chance to play again.

I really hope we make it to SLC, it's my hometown and would fucking love to see Utah in what is becoming one of my favorite games of all time.

Also - the university chapter really hit close to home. I'll be headed off to college this fall and walking through the overrun dorm rooms, reading what the students had to go through...clearly I know it's just a game but it really, really made me stop and rethink everything with "what if I had to deal with this?"

LegoDad

I have some type of game glitch, where I can't progress any further. I open the cellar door, and boom black screen and the game just loops the sounds over and over. I never get the intended cutscene. I switched PS3's, and I still have the exact same issue.

Went from Slim w/ 500gb to Fat 20gb.

Anyone have a solution? I've deleted game data, redownloaded patches, etc.

PS3 doesn't freeze, as I can get into the XMB, but then the PS3 crashes when exiting game and restarts.

Evolved1

I have some type of game glitch, where I can't progress any further. I open the cellar door, and boom black screen and the game just loops the sounds over and over. I never get the intended cutscene. I switched PS3's, and I still have the exact same issue.

Went from Slim w/ 500gb to Fat 20gb.

Anyone have a solution? I've deleted game data, redownloaded patches, etc.

PS3 doesn't freeze, as I can get into the XMB, but then the PS3 crashes when exiting game and restarts.

Not the best solution, but did you try reloading the chapter?

Replicant

Just saw the documentary "Grounded". Ashley Johnson just called Troy Baker "So handsome. And with his frosty hair, he's like one of those Final Fantasy characters."

LOLOLOL.

Well, he is/was Snow Villiers.

Evolved1

I'll look into the restart of chapter. I don't think I'm that far in, or i'm right at the end of one.

Well... you're a little ways in. There are a couple fights you'll have to redo.

Restarting the encounter might do the trick and only make you replay (max) one fight.

Top Bottom