• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

So much hype around this game... SO MUCH.

I cannot seem to figure out what's so good about it, but I will definitely finish it. it's a GOOD game but it's not the 'citizen kane' of the generation like everyone says.

I mean, the polish is no way NEAR the level of the uncharted games, and so far to me the combat has been repetative as, either you're fighting
humans or runner zombies or clickers

That said I'm only about 33% of the way through so it might keep getting more amazing as I go and I'm not going to stop but all the hype it had I was expecting it to blow me away but so far all I'm seeing is a stock standard game here, nothing revolutionary, nothing that makes it stand out so much. I rate Uncharted 2 and 3 better so far, I even rate Tomb Raider better so far.

LegoDad

Well... you're a little ways in. There are a couple fights you'll have to redo.

Restarting the encounter might do the trick and only make you replay (max) one fight.

Yep I see that now, like halfway through the chapter.. And restart encounter puts me right where my save is. I don't think a restart chapter would fix it.. but may be my only choice.. ugh.

SystemBug

game is great...

so i made a poster for it!

9243784097_9e4ca0ca62_b.jpg

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.

I cannot seem to figure out what's so good about it, but I will definitely finish it. it's a GOOD game but it's not the 'citizen kane' of the generation like everyone says.

I mean, the polish is no way NEAR the level of the uncharted games, and so far to me the combat has been repetative as, either you're fighting

That said I'm only about 33% of the way through so it might keep getting more amazing as I go and I'm not going to stop but all the hype it had I was expecting it to blow me away but so far all I'm seeing is a stock standard game here, nothing revolutionary, nothing that makes it stand out so much. I rate Uncharted 2 and 3 better so far, I even rate Tomb Raider better so far.

I 100% agree. The extreme over-praise TLoU has received is so overblown that I'm absolutely baffled, and I'm a huge Naughty Dog fan. The graphics were far more unpolished than U2 and U3, and the story was decent with an awful ending that ruined it for me. Plus the combat and samey environment wore out their welcome with me by the 11 hour mark. But a solid 8.5/10 game. Game of the generation? No.
I also prefer U2 and U3, as well as Tomb Raider (both TR and Bioshock Infinite are in the running for my GOTY 2013)

I didn't put any points on the bow, as it didn't feel like a weapon I'd use when in trouble. In fact, I didn't use it at all when I could use the other weapons.

I'd definitely upgrade shotgun first. You'll need it in closed spaces, where the bow and rifle are pretty much useless.
EDIT: Upgrading revolver/pistol is a good choice as well, as you get plenty of ammo for them on normal difficulty.

The bow+sway mastery is a godsend for the harder difficulties. Also, its the most satisfying weapon next to the shotty once upgraded. Its a bitch when the arrows break though.

Pro tip: If you use it on runners, there is a much higher chance it won't break than if you used it on a clicker.

game is great...

That's awesome. Thnx. Been trying to find a good TLoU background for my phone.

sharath_kumar

Neo Member
I 100% agree. The extreme over-praise TLoU has received is so overblown that I'm absolutely baffled, and I'm a huge Naughty Dog fan. The graphics were far more unpolished than U2 and U3, and the story was decent with an awful ending that ruined it for me. Plus the combat and samey environment wore out their welcome with me by the 11 hour mark. But a solid 8.5/10 game. Game of the generation? No.
I also prefer U2 and U3, as well as Tomb Raider (both TR and Bioshock Infinite are in the running for my GOTY 2013)

There are some graphics glitches. But I think this is more due to the limitations of PS3 rather than polish of TLOU. This game is more open than Uncharted series. In closed quarter areas, it has the same polish. But in open areas which allow for more exploration, you can see glitches if you know where to look.

Lol 33% through.

Hey I haven't given it my final review yet, but that doesn't mean shit - just saying "lol 33% through" is a really crap response to the comments that I've made about the game which I think are really relevant.

The game lacks polish - fact.
The combat is even more repetitive than Uncharted (up to this point I don't know if it changed) - semi-fact.
There is nothing more to it so far than moving from point to point collecting parts and items to make different weapons and items to fight enemies, there is no climbing, nothing more than a point to point stealth / combat shooter with great dialogue and great characters - fact.

What about this game makes it the game of the generation I cannot seem to fathom, it's way overhyped, but that's a perspective from just 33% through the game - lets see if it changes, I really REALLY hope it does because I am yearning for something more!

This is the kind of situation where I believe demanding a refund from the retailer or the developer if it doesn't get better would be warranted because the game hasn't delivered on what the the game has been marketed and reviewed to be - in australia at least consumer law states that a product should be able to function as described in marketing materials and so far I'm seeing nothing of that.

Edit - Just to clarify, this is me being overly harsh on the game, I'm still really enjoying it, it's a fantastic game, perhaps deserving of a 8 or 9 out of 10 but not all those 10's... no fucking way in the world. The Witcher 2 stomps all over it as game of the generation.

Superflat

This is the kind of situation where I believe demanding a refund from the retailer or the developer if it doesn't get better would be warranted because the game hasn't delivered on what the the game has been marketed and reviewed to be - in australia at least consumer law states that a product should be able to function as described in marketing materials and so far I'm seeing nothing of that.

What did they advertise that you feel swindled on?

Hey I haven't given it my final review yet, but that doesn't mean shit - just saying "lol 33% through" is a really crap response to the comments that I've made about the game which I think are really relevant.

The combat is even more repetitive than Uncharted (up to this point I don't know if it changed) - semi-fact.
There is nothing more to it so far than moving from point to point collecting parts and items to make different weapons and items to fight enemies, there is no climbing, nothing more than a point to point stealth / combat shooter with great dialogue and great characters - fact.

What about this game makes it the game of the generation I cannot seem to fathom, it's way overhyped, but that's a perspective from just 33% through the game - lets see if it changes, I really REALLY hope it does because I am yearning for something more!

Edit - Just to clarify, this is me being overly harsh on the game, I'm still really enjoying it, it's a fantastic game, perhaps deserving of a 8 or 9 out of 10 but not all those 10's... no fucking way in the world. The Witcher 2 stomps all over it as game of the generation.

lol no sure if serious anymore, but atleast finish the game before you even rate it.

Really though, 33% seems so far away in retrospect to whats coming.

Grinchy

Banned
This game is really hyped up. I'm glad I played it while I still knew nothing and wasn't reading any threads. Because of how hyped and popular it has become, it's inevitable that some people are going to want to dislike something about it. There is always a backlash when there's hype and popularity.

If I had read some of the crazy impressions before I played it myself, my expectations would have been unrealistically high too.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

Your comment about the polish: if you're talking about the bugs, fair enough.
About repetitive combat: if you're talking exclusively about enemy variety then okay, but a) you still have more to look forward to, and b) in Uncharted all you did was fight guys, bigger guys, and sometimes monsters.

However, the bolded is absolute tripe. GAF hypes games, but that's because it's a gaming forum and people get excited about their anticipated titles. The reaction on here to that sort of stupid media hype that you claim "everyone" has been using is always negative/laughed off.

I loved (and platinumed) Uncharted 1 and 2, but was sick of 3 by the time it was over.
To me at least, TLoU feels like a breath of fresh air compared to the Uncharted series.
Granted, I haven't played the new TR yet, but I wasn't initially turned on by the prospect of a TR reboot anyway.

TLoU has been on my radar for a long time. I didn't need forums or news sites to tell me to get excited for it. I'm taking my time with it and it's delivering in many ways. I can see how it's GOTY for many, but if you were seriously expecting GOTG (hype or no), then... I guess we're wired very differently.

Septimius

I don't really know how to react. You say an 8 or 9 out of 10 game deserves to be returned. First off, reviews are not part of the game's marketing. A game marketing about other reviews do not mean you have to feel it's as good a game for it not to be false advertising.

I know the consumer laws, and I'm pretty sure they say that an item of purchase should function to the consumer's expectations. Can you play the game? Yes. Done. Even if you want to take it one step further: can you shoot infected? Can you throw bricks? Yes? Done. There are no consumer satisfaction requirements in any consumer laws anywhere. It should function as one expects, and as a game, it does.

Playing it on hard, I'm REALY wishing I had the knocking move. Fuck finding glass bottles.

And Ellie never gave me med kits and ammo on normal... she gives me med kits when I realy need them too.

Carcetti

Just saying something is a fact doesn't make it a fact. Just makes for annoying reading.
Fact.

Also, reviews have nothing to do with marketing materials. If I review a car and claim it can fly and swim, you can't demand a refund from car maker if it turns out not to be a submersible airplane.

You've lost your damn mind.

Why are you calling your shitty opinions "facts"?

The game doesn't lack polish. I don't know what you're looking at but the lighting and the bouncing of light (including bouncing the colors from the light) is amazing and, GAF can keep me honest here, hasn't been done in the Uncharted series. The level of detail in the ruined cites are jaw dropping, especially if you remember this is done on 7 year old hardware with 512MB of ram.

The animations are smooth. Glitches are at a minimum. Cut scenes are gorgeous. Sound is excellent (especially on an uncompressed sound system). There's no lack of polish.

Keep playing.

ascii42

What specifically has it been marketed to be that you believe the game is missing?

because
point to point stealth / combat shooter with great dialogue and great characters
This is pretty much what I think Sony/Naughty Dog have said it is.

So basically, you would be demanding your money back because the game is merely fantastic instead of "OMG GOTG!"?

Ataraxia

So what you're basically saying is that game developers should be punished whenever they make a product that is almost universally loved because someone somewhere will inevitably feel that it failed to live up to the hype and will thus be disappointed with it. It is not Naughty Dog's fault that many of the professionals are calling TLOU Game of the Year and that so many players are calling it one of the best experiences they have ever had playing a video game. Naturally - as with anything - there will be detractors and if they have the power to demand refunds simply because it didn't meet their expectations it would only be an incentive for game developers to purposefully dumb down their games to stave off hype and anticipation. On no planet would that be a good idea.

IceBreak

Banned

Do you think people thought Citizen Kane was 'citizen kane' before they finished watching it? I don't get why people make declarations like this (one way or the other) without finishing the game.

ScOULaris

Anyone who is complaining about the graphics must either have a shitty TV or a dying PS3. It's one of the best looking console games ever made, easily. I'd say better than Uncharted 3.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
game is great...

That is fantastic!
9243784097_9e4ca0ca62_b.jpg

Any chance you could post a super high res version of it.

Could very well be the first ever video game poster I hang in my movie theater poster frames is my living room.

I loved (and platinumed) Uncharted 1 and 2, but was sick of 3 by the time it was over.
To me at least, TLoU feels like a breath of fresh air compared to the Uncharted series.
Granted, I haven't played the new TR yet, but I wasn't initially turned on by the prospect of a TR reboot anyway.

TLoU has been on my radar for a long time. I didn't need forums or news sites to tell me to get excited for it. I'm taking my time with it and it's delivering in many ways. I can see how it's GOTY for many, but if you were seriously expecting GOTG (hype or no), then... I guess we're wired very differently.

We seem to be in increasing agreement around various threads.

I feel it my responsibility therefor to mention that I vehemently mostly disliked the TR reboot. I can see reasonable factors that would result in someone enjoying it at least for a single playthrough, though.

Palehorse

Yeah I was definitely enjoying the game throughout but didn't really put it on any best of lists in my mind until I finished it.

I try to avoid hype, as I've been burnt by going into movies expecting greatness incarnate and being disappointed. I now really try to keep my expectations to a minimum whenever possible to avoid that. With everything.

In the case of TLOU it's been hyped by so many now that people coming to it a couple weeks late are going in with huge expectations.

(I am guilty of hyping it myself. I lent my PS3 and TLOU to a friend because I enjoyed it so much...but that in itself will have hyped the game for him because I've never done that with any other PS3 game including the Uncharteds which I enjoyed a lot.)

So with all the hype it's reasonable to expect some backlash when people go in expecting the game of all games and don't get it right away. And no matter how much you tell people "Wait and play more, you'll see." it just makes it worse, because their expectations get higher the farther they get into the game.

"This game must spew golden happy when I get to the end for people to react this way!...Awww...that's not as good as I thought." Because they imagined something simply incredible. I loved TLOU from start to end but I deliberately avoided hype and speculation so when I went in it was all fresh.

So now I just feel sorry for those people who go in expecting TLOU to be the game that blows them away in all respects and makes their game life complete...the hype has effectively ruined the game for them and they won't experience it the same way I did.

Which makes me sad.

Edit: Thinking more on this, the hype produces expectations for that person, what they want in a GotG. "I want guns that shoot sharks, TLOU must have guns that shoot sharks because everyone says it's the best game ever." When they don't get a sharkgun they are disappointed. This happened with Unforgiven for me. I went in expecting Dirty Harry and Good, Bad and the Ugly wrapped up with the Terminator, I didn't get that and thought the movie was crap. I went back a couple years later and watched it again knowing what to expect...my view on the movie did a 180, Xbone style. I love Unforgiven now and see why it was given Best Picture.

If people don't have anything in their heads when they enter a movie/game, they can form opinions based on their reactions, instead of a)expecting sharkguns, or b) tearing it apart because they are seeing flaws when there should be none in a GotG.

TL;DR Hype makes huge expectations, when it gets high enough no game can possibly meet them.

Mr. RHC

Can someone fill me in on why everybody acted during the first days as if the opening was the best thing ever? I thought it was pretty weak and cliché.

Endo Punk

Can someone fill me in on why everybody acted during the first days as if the opening was the best thing ever? I thought it was pretty weak and cliché.

It was cliche as hell with minimal gameplay but the atmosphere, animation, dialogue and acting really elevated the opening.

Moxx19

Banned

Because it was well executed, and set the foundation for the rest of the story nicely. It has everything you could possibly want in a good opening from a story perspective.

Simply stating that "X" has been used before in a story does not invalidate its use. Especially how the game actually executes the moment and surprises you at how its done.

People need to learn the difference between tropes and clichés.

This game is really hyped up. I'm glad I played it while I still knew nothing and wasn't reading any threads. Because of how hyped and popular it has become, it's inevitable that some people are going to want to dislike something about it. There is always a backlash when there's hype and popularity.

If I had read some of the crazy impressions before I played it myself, my expectations would have been unrealistically high too.

I think it's overhyped as well. Looking at TLOU as an experience, it's AAA. You feel like you're in an awesome movie or television show (or reality?) and the story is great and satisfying. Judged as a game? Directly judging pacing, graphics, glitches, variation/repetition, etc? Tons of flaws. Tons.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

The bolded is not true. It is an objectively poor assessment. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this is more a statement of how you're choosing to play the game than what the game's combat offers.

Effect

Just how much stealth is really required in the game? Other then some key moments is it required or just a way you can play if you wanted? Ammo in limited supply? Thanks.

Tex117

Banned

I...I...just finish the game dude. I bet I didn't love it around 33% completion. Once Fall and Winter hit, I was all in.

And I have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to your "semi-fact" on combat. There are alot of options when compared to Uncharted, or even other games.

There is plenty of polish, especially for the scope of the game.

It is my favorite? No. Is it a great game and an example of how games can tell a story like a movie in the "cinematic" style that deals with mature themes? Yes, it is the bench mark now.

ascii42

Just how much stealth is really required in the game? Other then some key moments is it required or just a way you can play if you wanted? Ammo in limited supply? Thanks.

Depends on what difficulty you play. Easy and probably Normal ought to give you enough ammo to take all the enemies out, but it's still smarter to use at least some stealth so you don't have to deal with them all at once.

Septimius

The lines between action and stealth is very blurred in this game. It makes the action very, very dynamic and very interesting to play through. You can be sneaking up on an enemy, kill him by choking, but be spotted. Then you run away shoot some back, and hide further down a hall. They'll come looking, but if they don't see you, you can start trying to flank them. It means stealth isn't "stealth gameplay", and it works fantastically.

Otherwise, you can play as you want, but there are certainly some areas where it's highly advantageous to just let the sleeping beasts sleep. If you play on the higher difficulties, encounters will be rewarding and require consideration. Or I guess, go normal or easy and visit Molotov Cocktail town. Population: dead.

The scarceness of ammo really drives the atmosphere. If you want an experience you'll remember, and you like a bit of challenge in your games, go for hard.

I think the shortest answer to this question is that it depends on what difficulty you choose. There are almost always options, but resources are more scarce as the difficulty goes up, which directly affects the pressure you can apply to a situation.

Edit: Beaten horribly

RPGCrazied

How come in plus mode you don't keep pendants or comic books? Those are going to be so hard to find without a guide or some sort.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
How come in plus mode you don't keep pendants or comic books? Those are going to be so hard to find without a guide or some sort.

My comics are gone in NG+. Everything else I still have to pickup, but the comics aren't there.

Grinchy

Banned
I think it's overhyped as well. Looking at TLOU as an experience, it's AAA. You feel like you're in an awesome movie or television show (or reality?) and the story is great and satisfying. Judged as a game? Directly judging pacing, graphics, glitches, variation/repetition, etc? Tons of flaws. Tons.

Don't get me wrong. I don't actually think it's overhyped. It's one of my favorite games of this generation easily. I was merely saying that people who paid attention to the hype and the crazy impressions before playing it will probably be primed to find reasons why the happy customers are wrong.

I think, as a game, it's fantastic as well.

Effect

The lines between action and stealth is very blurred in this game. It makes the action very, very dynamic and very interesting to play through. You can be sneaking up on an enemy, kill him by choking, but be spotted. Then you run away shoot some back, and hide further down a hall. They'll come looking, but if they don't see you, you can start trying to flank them. It means stealth isn't "stealth gameplay", and it works fantastically.

Otherwise, you can play as you want, but there are certainly some areas where it's highly advantageous to just let the sleeping beasts sleep. If you play on the higher difficulties, encounters will be rewarding and require consideration. Or I guess, go normal or easy and visit Molotov Cocktail town. Population: dead.

The scarceness of ammo really drives the atmosphere. If you want an experience you'll remember, and you like a bit of challenge in your games, go for hard.

That doesn't sound to bad. Thanks (including everyone else that responded).

Top Bottom