• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Jobbs

Banned
Loved the game, completed it twice on easy and survivor. Loved the story, characters, everything. But i think it's best to be experienced on easy, because gameplay isn't tight enough for high difficulty.
Also, the game would've been much cooler if Joel was the same age as Ellie.

Gonna say no.

Melchiah

i hated the bow until winter, then realized how useful it actually is and dropped some upgrades on it. it doesn't need much though, the ability to stealth drop an enemy in 1 hit is worth while in itself.
especially in the fall/winter segments, toss a bottle to lure someone out and take them out silently with 1 arrow

flame thrower is beast as well, especially for
bloaters, you can drop them in 1 shot. its next to useless against the guys with the assault rifles at the hospital though

The fully upgraded bow is fucking incredible with zero sway and it's the only weapon that you can use for distant stealth kills, including Clickers as long as its a direct head shot.

Obviously you dont really use it when you're in trouble. However, it's best usefulness is the fact that it keeps you out of trouble.

Bow and rifle all day son. This game has one of the most satisfying bolt actions Ive experienced since the re4 days.

I found the bow crucial when I was trying to be stealthy. The fact that I could often get back arrows was a huge plus. The rifle was only useful once or twice though.

But yea, agreed about the shotgun. It's almost a necessity.

I thought it was too slow, and imprecise, which is why I didn't use it at all. There weren't really situations where I wouldn't have had ammo for the other weapons, or an opportunity to sneak past, or up close for the kill.

Flamethrower worked well against the swarms of infected, but I never did use it against
the Bloaters, as I thought it would be better to handle them from afar. Which is why I didn't got the trophy. ;)

I think I'll try both, if I ever start a new game+.

I only used the rifle in some outdoor conflicts, and against
the Bloaters near the end, and when Ellie was fighting side by side with David, as my explosives and pistol bullets were gone at that point.

I actually realized how awesome the bow is, because using it is pretty much the only way you can clear that infected area in
the sewers with Sam after you got separated from the rest
without alerting anyone.

I just used shotgun and upgraded machete to clear the area, and it wasn't even that hard, but it sure was tense. =) It was the only situation, where
the Clickers didn't run straight towards me when I made noise. Some of them waited until I moved closer.

After playing the last of us I feel super excited about the potential for games. I have seen art bow in front of ND. Much respect.

Question fellow gaffers
Was I the only one that didn't kill the doctor right away? I struggled a lot, not because it was out of character for Joel, as he was a terminator or so I felt, I just didn't thought he deserved it, them the brakes on a ruthless world.

After playing the last of us I feel super excited about the potential for games. I have seen art bow in front of ND. Much respect.

Question fellow gaffers
Was I the only one that didn't kill the doctor right away? I struggled a lot, not because it was out of character for Joel, as he was a terminator or so I felt, I just didn't thought he deserved it, them the brakes on a ruthless world.

Shot all three before I could bat an eyelash.

Vodh

Loved the game, completed it twice on easy and survivor. Loved the story, characters, everything. But i think it's best to be experienced on easy, because gameplay isn't tight enough for high difficulty.
Also, the game would've been much cooler if Joel was the same age as Ellie.

That sounds like it would make it a teenage love story, when the game as it is is about a father-daughter relationship. Don't really see how changing that would have been an improvement.

Fixed1979

Question fellow gaffers

I hesitated, tried to find away around him, then ended up shooting him in the leg...which ended up killing him I guess

Lots of love for the bow in here, I think I fired it 3-5 times. I'll try upgrading it and using it a bunch more on this new play through.

Skins don't show up in all cutscenes. :( I guess some of them are prerecorded? Looks weird using a different shirt and backpack, only for the default outfit/backpack shown in most cutscenes.
Most of them are pre-recorded yes.

I just used shotgun and upgraded machete to clear the area, and it wasn't even that hard, but it sure was tense. =) It was the only situation, where
the Clickers didn't run straight towards me when I made noise. Some of them waited until I moved closer.
Yeah I wanted to save ammo and health, so I was determined to clear that entire area only using stealth. I tried almost everything, but the bow was the only option that worked right away.

Melchiah

Yeah I wanted to save ammo and health, so I was determined to clear that entire area only using stealth. I tried almost everything, but the bow was the only option that worked right away.

I played on normal, and the there weren't many times when I was low on ammo, or other supplies. I was actually a bit surprised by that.

Shot all three before I could bat an eyelash.

Ruthless but hey them the brakes.

I hesitated, tried to find away around him, then ended up shooting him in the leg...which ended up killing him I guess

I tried to find a way around him with no luck, pointed my gun at him and he wouldn't yield, after walking around thinking what to do I think I hit triangle and it initiated a killing animation where you use the Scalpel to his neck

I played on normal, and the there weren't many times when I was low on ammo, or other supplies. I was actually a bit surprised by that.
Yeah I played on hard and was pretty full on supplies as well. After I cleared that section the hard way I was almost empty though lol. No more bombs or molotovs and pretty low on ammo and health as well. I pretty much said fuck it and restarted the encounter over and over till I finally tried the bow and cleared the section immediately. What I didn't knew was that you get a shit ton of stuff just 10 minutes later when you loot all the houses. After I was done my inventory was pretty much maxed out and I couldn't craft anything nor pick up more items, because everything was full lol

baekshi

Banned
Incorrect, my DLC Season Pass and Online MP pass were different.

Not talking about DLC Season pass.

and Survival Edition code is the same - Sound pack and Online Pass.

That's weird. I enter the Sights and Sounds Pack DLC code and I'm still bar from playing multiplayer.

Just checking again.
Check in your download list, it's probably there and download the 100kb online pass file.

RoKKeR

Ohhhhhh my shit, the section after the E3 demo where
Joel is alone in the dark spore infested basement
creeped me the hell out.

Any advice on good upgrades from pills? I did level one weapon sway but haven't figured out what else will be useful.

Ohhhhhh my shit, the section after the E3 demo where
Joel is alone in the dark spore infested basement
creeped me the hell out.

Any advice on good upgrades from pills? I did level one weapon sway but haven't figured out what else will be useful.
That scene was creepy as shit. Especially as it went on and on.
I started to panic a bit when the rats came running down the hallway lol

Spend your pills on weapon sway, shiv master and maximum health. Don't bother with anything else, mostly useless.

Melchiah

Yeah I played on hard and was pretty full on supplies as well. After I cleared that section the hard way I was almost empty though lol. No more bombs or molotovs and pretty low on ammo and health as well. I pretty much said fuck it and restarted the encounter over and over till I finally tried the bow and cleared the section immediately. What I didn't knew was that you get a shit ton of stuff just 10 minutes later when you loot all the houses. After I was done my inventory was pretty much maxed out and I couldn't craft anything nor pick up more items, because everything was full lol

Well, the upgraded machete helped a lot during that part. ;) I only used the shotgun for a couple of first ones.

I was also maxed out on supplies for a good part of the game. I never used any of the smoke bombs either. I'll have to try them, if I ever replay the game.

EDIT:
Who the hell decided that Ellie should be voiced by a 30-year old woman? Thanks to ND I'm now sporting a forbidden boner.

Haha! I really can't sympathize with that feeling though.

Vashetti

Banned

The health upgrades are useful.

I didn't bother with crafting/healing speed until the others because I tended to do that outside of combat and therefore didn't need the extra speed.

baekshi

Banned
That scene was creepy as shit. Especially as it went on and on.
I started to panic a bit as the rats came running down the hallway lol

Spend your pills on weapon sway, shiv master and maximum health. Don't bother with anything else, mostly useless.
No.

I'll say in the order of these:
Weapon Sway
Max Health
Faster Health / Crafting
Everything else.

Shiv Master is useless TBH. I never got to use it SP - not in survivor or +. Save your shivs for doors and supplies.

Ourobolus

Banned
Going through Survivor+ now, and I am so happy that I eventually realized (during my Survivor playthrough) that thrown brick/bottle + sprint and melee is the way to go. Saves so many charges on melee.

Jobbs

Banned
Who the hell decided that Ellie should be voiced by a 30-year old woman? Thanks to ND I'm now sporting a forbidden boner.

I think the voice works and I don't honestly relate. I think Ellie is cute but I can safely say that at no point was I experiencing.. what you experienced.

Here is something for your trouble:

bq10aqqa63l25sw8.gif

:D

RoKKeR

How. HOW can the writing be this good?! The scene with
Joel teaching Ellie to shoot with the whole "it was him or me" quasi thank you from Joel
, man, doesn't skip a beat.

Melchiah

Shiv Master is useless TBH. I never got to use it SP - not in survivor or +. Save your shivs for doors and supplies.

It definitely wasn't useless for me on normal difficulty. I still had plenty of shivs to open every door, although I missed one or two of them. In fact Shiv Master saves them for you, as they don't break on one stab. And the skill was very useful in those occasions when a Clicker grabs you, as it didn't result with a certain death anymore.

How. HOW can the writing be this good?! The scene with
Joel teaching Ellie to shoot with the whole "it was him or me" quasi thank you from Joel
, man, doesn't skip a beat.
And you are actually just approaching the best part of the game. You are almost done with Summer now, some heavy stuff is coming your way I just experienced hours ago. I'm in the next section now and had to stop for today to let it sink in. Have fun :)

Just finished the game for the first time last night......so good.

As for that part towards the end I
hesitated for a second to shoot the doctors, but I quick flash in my mind put me completely into Joels shoes, and I blew that dude away, then actually shot the second guy against the wall before realizing that was probably unnecessary.

I really, REALLY enjoyed the Uncharted series, but for me personally, Last of Us has been a game that has absolutely solidified my view of Naughty Dog as one of my top, if not THE top developer working at the moment. If somehow anyone from ND sees this, thank you for your hard work, and for providing me with this incredible experience.

This game, man. This game. The feels it gives me.

That ending was absolutely perfect. And the section where Joel is carrying the unconscious Ellie. This soundtrack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuZl4AHk4BI added with Joel's "Come on baby girl, I gotcha" and "We're okay, we're okay, we're okay" and "I got you, I got you"... Naughty Dog, you collective brilliant bastards

baekshi

Banned
It definitely wasn't useless for me on normal difficulty. I still had plenty of shivs to open every door, although I missed one or two of them. In fact Shiv Master saves them for you, as they don't break on one stab. And the skill was very useful in those occasions when a Clicker grabs you, as it didn't result with a certain death anymore.

Maybe on easy or normal - never tried those difficulty though.

Andrew.

Banned
Fucking hell, the standoff in the Winter chapter is brutal on Survivor.

:'(

Just keep moving,
using David as bait so you can one shot the enemies from behind
and picking up any bottles or bricks lying around. It's not as bad as it seems.

Grinchy

Banned

The point is that you shouldn't be grabbed at all. If you play well enough that you're never in that situation, then the upgrade is useless.

Cory_t_

Any word from ND about these phatty PS3 issues? I bought the game yesterday not realizing how widespread the issues are. I can't even get past the opening cutscene!

Melchiah

The point is that you shouldn't be grabbed at all. If you play well enough that you're never in that situation, then the upgrade is useless.

Striving towards a perfect playthrough isn't really what I'd call enjoyable, so it's nice to have the Shiv Master upgrades as a backup option, instead of facing a certain death after every screw up.

Vashetti

Banned
Any word from ND about these phatty PS3 issues? I bought the game yesterday not realizing how widespread the issues are. I can't even get past the opening cutscene!

There's been two patches so far with minimal single-player fixes.

I'm a little worried that ND may be blinded by the "10/10 masterpiece!" reviews and not acknowledge that there are several glitches in the single-player.

kazebyaka

Banned
That sounds like it would make it a teenage love story, when the game as it is is about a father-daughter relationship. Don't really see how changing that would have been an improvement.
they can just make them siblings. Better if twins. Ultra-brutal stealth action survival game with kids as main characters? It would be in history books.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Only issue I have with the game is the night level is really washed out and bland.

I don't expect it to be a high contrast black crush mess, but it looks like the brightness is set to max and washes everything out.

Andrew.

Banned
Fuck shiv-master. If you get grabbed by a Clicker then you fucked up, end of story.

Save those bad boys for the shiv doors and on a Survivor run, you NEED the shiv doors as well as all the safe combos.

Jobbs

Banned
they can just make them siblings. Better if twins. Ultra-brutal stealth action survival game with kids as main characters? It would be in history books.

I think this is cool, actually, but it wouldn't be the same game. it would involve changing what the game is about, and I like the game very much as it stands. maybe for another game. :)

The sequel.. Ellie and her long lost brother, killing fuckers. Story and feels ensue.

Grinchy

Banned
Striving towards a perfect playthrough isn't really what I'd call enjoyable, so it's nice to have the Shiv Master upgrades as a backup option, instead of facing a certain death after every screw up.

haha well to each his own. I think we both agree that someone who gets grabbed often enough should buy the upgrade. Someone who never does doesn't need it and would be wasting his upgrade supplies by buying it. Sneaking around is the best part of the game to me.

Top Bottom