• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

HORRORSHØW

Awesome, will do right away.

Still kinda shocked it's there by default TBH. What is GAF's opinion on this? I've wanted to play LoU for a long time but I never imagined it would feel more like Splinter Cell than Resident Evil so far... if removing "x-ray" vision doesn't do it I'll probably bump up the difficulty. I want to feel something during those encounters damn it!

hard + listen mode off is the way to go, imo. you can adjust the difficulty from there, but listen mode should be turned off all the time.

Hubb

Still kinda shocked it's there by default TBH. What is GAF's opinion on this? I've wanted to play LoU for a long time but I never imagined it would feel more like Splinter Cell than Resident Evil a few hours into it... if removing "x-ray" vision doesn't do it I'll probably bump up the difficulty. I want to feel something during those encounters damn it!

My personal opinion is close to what you are doing. I started with hard my first playthrough and then a few hours into it I knocked off Listen Mode to see if I can deal without it. More challenging, but was far from impossible (didn't play with headphones here).

0383_ddf92.gif

This is what I like to hear. Let these developers know that 30fps is no longer acceptable.

Wtf lmfao, when did they create this?

I have played the game 3 times(on my 4th playthrough with the PS4 via Grounded) and never used listening mode. It's not needed and is really just a cheating tool.

I will say that it makes going into multiplayer a bit tough as everyone is using it and it takes a few matches to adjust to having that ability.

Hubb

Matchmaking isnt working for a 4 player party? Any fix for this?

Matchmaking seems to be having problems in general if the MP thread is anything to go by. Tonight might not be the best night for MP.

How do you play online?

Took me 10+ minutes to get in a match and then I just stuck with that group of 8 and we played for a bit. Once I was kicked back to the search menu I gave up. Wasn't worth it.

About to dive in. Let's hope this lives up to what everyone has been saying about it.

Regardless though, I'm going in with no expectations.

What difficulty is good for a first playthrough?

Could this be the game to convert lots of console owners to why 30 fps is only ever adequate, and that 60 fps should always, where reasonable, be the aim?

Seems lots of people are shocked at how slow 30 fps mode feels after playing at 60.

Alright so I switched to Hard and the game restarted to my latest checkpoint.

Seems like the game keeps track of the difficulty on which you've completed individual levels?

antitrop

Could this be the game to convert lots of console owners to why 30 fps is only ever adequate, and that 60 fps should always, where reasonable, be the aim?

Seems lots of people are shocked at how slow 30 fps mode feels after playing at 60.
When you switch from 60 directly to 30, it definitely looks worse than I remember TLoU on PS3 being. But obviously it's not, it's considerably better (30 locked > 22-30), the difference between 30 and 60 is just that great. Going from 60 instantly to 30 does make it feel like a slideshow.

Vire

That part is easy
Just countdown from 5 once you turn on the generator. Seriously. Then haul ass to the door.

The hardest part of the game is easily
when you and David are stuck and a bloater comes into the room with a runner and clicker.
Goddamn that part is hard. So easy to die over a stupid mistake.

Edit:eek:h, you meant the actual hotel. Well the only tip I have is
don't try opening the elevator door before clearing that entire floor. They will always shoot if there's one alive.

I did it! :)

feelsgoodman.jpeg

I just got in a rough checkpoint since I literally had no bullets or anything to help. That and the bloater in the
gym
earlier have given me the most trouble so far.

I got this though... I'm gonna make it through Grounded!

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Have you tried using the virtual surround sound button on this game? I have a Gold headset, and every game I tried with VSS turned on sounds worse. Otherwise the headset is great though.

Yeah I have it on, sounds good though. Try tinkering with your output settings, I have mine set to linear PCM and it sounds fine.

dmr87

Still kinda shocked it's there by default TBH. What is GAF's opinion on this? I've wanted to play LoU for a long time but I never imagined it would feel more like Splinter Cell than Resident Evil. To be fair I'm early in the game. In any case if removing "x-ray" vision doesn't do it I'll probably bump up the difficulty. I want to feel something during those encounters damn it!

Listen mode is terrible, that's why you go with hard and turn that off for your first playthrough.

antitrop

Still kinda shocked it's there by default TBH. What is GAF's opinion on this? I've wanted to play LoU for a long time but I never imagined it would feel more like Splinter Cell than Resident Evil. To be fair I'm early in the game. In any case if removing "x-ray" vision doesn't do it I'll probably bump up the difficulty. I want to feel something during those encounters damn it!

Even though it's turned on by default, you're not forced to press the button that triggers it. :p

Wait we have a cloud? Whenever I hear about 'the cloud' on this site it's in regards to 'the other side'

Back on track, now I have played the first 2 uncharted's.. But man, this is some dark, gritty, for adults only after dark video gaming right now

Yes it's a punch in the gut. It's what a lot of us love about it

Hard, Listen Mode Off.

Playing survivor for the first time. Not having the prompts for stealth mele kills is strange

Afterlife

Just had the hardest time buying the game. 3 stores were sold out thank god for best buy, got the last copy too. Now time to play this game again.

When you switch from 60 directly to 30, it definitely looks worse than I remember TLoU on PS3 being. But obviously it's not, it's considerably better (30 locked > 22-30), the difference between 30 and 60 is just that great. Going from 60 instantly to 30 does make it feel like a slideshow.

It's funny how the brain works like that. 30 fps in isolation feels fine. Even great for some. If you've never played anything but 30 fps game.

But as soon as you feel that double framerate, it's like a revelation. This is probably one of the games that starts that negative connotation snowball for 30 fps in certain titles.

so a few gaffers and I did a 8 player private that was a blast, too bad you cant earn towards survivors. Been researching after 30 seconds and have decent luck getting into a new game in matchmaking though

So does anyone know if I'm going to have to redo the entire game on Hard to get the trophy, or am I only gonna have to replay the early part I played on Normal before switching? In other words is that trophy stackable, or does it have to come from one continuous playthrough?

KorrZ

The melee combat which already felt fantastic in the PS3 version just feels so much more...fast and intense at 60 FPS. I'm honestly shocked at how much of a difference it makes.

Pryce

30FPS lock makes the game look incredible....

....but there's no way in hell I'll play this game at 30FPS after seeing it at 60.

lmbotiva

The melee combat which already felt fantastic in the PS3 version just feels so much more...fast and intense at 60 FPS. I'm honestly shocked at how much of a difference it makes.
i know, its crazy how good it looks bashing heads against surfaces at 60 frames

dmr87

I'm only ten minutes in and I already love it.

What is Listen Mode,btw?

Wallhack basically, you can see enemies through walls. If you turn that off and play with headphones then you'll appreciate the game even more because the sound is so good that you are able to hear where the enemies are and it also raises the tension while playing. Also play on hard, normal is another tension killer, too easy.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can you kill clickers with a brick attack? Keep getting eaten. Don't have a melee weapon and don't want to use my gun as there are lots around. In the end I went around them all (except the one by the gate), but want to know for future reference

Top Bottom