• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Raymo

I went to gamestop to trade in PS3 TLoU for Remastered TLoU for $25 off. There was 4 people in front of me and another behind. All five of the people in line were also picking up the last of us. 4/5 of them traded in their old copies and the other one had it preordered. The employee checking us out said all the other gamestops in the area were calling them for stock. He said the demand was exceeding their expectations.

Derpcrawler

Did anyone else notice extremely short distance LoD and objects popping? Most noticeable on vegetation. Game is updated to 1.01. Made a video to show it in action, with so much vegetation I can see it getting annoying for myself. To be sure rebooted console and tried both 60 and 30FPS modes, both have same LoD.

http://youtu.be/rdmqU19Koy8

I went to gamestop to trade in PS3 TLoU for Remastered TLoU for $25 off. There was 4 people in front of me and another behind. All five of the people in line were also picking up the last of us. 4/5 of them traded in their old copies and the other one had it preordered. The employee checking us out said all the other gamestops in the area were calling them for stock. He said the demand was exceeding their expectations.

7/8 people on my friends list are playing TLOU:R right now - it's more popular among my PSN friends than any PS4 title so far. Even Infamous and Watchdogs only had like 50% of my friends playing them.

All anecdotal of course - but I have to imagine it's selling well.

When I went to pickup my copy this morning from gamestop guy there behind me in line was so happy to get it jumping up and down. Never seen anyone so happy to get a game...maybe guy was drugs or something.

Arun1910

Not surprised. In the UK they had a trade in where you trade in a game to get TLoU PS4 for £9.97.

Not to mention they seem to have a PS3 to PS4 discount trade in thing.

Oublieux

But as soon as you feel that double framerate, it's like a revelation. This is probably one of the games that starts that negative connotation snowball for 30 fps in certain titles.

I feel like I should state that I am both a PC and console gamer before saying anything.

That being said, I am not in this camp. I can see and feel the difference between 60 and 30 FPS in TLOU:R, but it's not to the extent I would completely dismiss other 30 FPS titles. Given the choice (such as on my PC), I'd shoot for a higher frame rate, but it's not a mandate for me. I honestly consider a game that is consistently at 30 FPS perfectly fine; it is not that jarring of a transition for me.

But, I do chalk it up the possibility I'm just not as sensitive to it as others are.

Not really a spoiler but it has to do with weapons and I wanted to not ruin it for first timers.
For those of you who have played through survivor what are the recommended weapons to upgrade? I am at my first spot and am thinking bout saving my parts.

Formosa

What does the Amazon preorder bonus come with? I still didnt get the email about the code from Amazon yet but I already have started the game, if I get the code later... Can I just apply to it? Or do I have to start the game all over again?

psychotron

Did anyone else notice extremely short distance LoD and objects popping? Most noticeable on vegetation. Game is updated to 1.01. Made a video to show it in action, with so much vegetation I can see it getting annoying for myself. To be sure rebooted console and tried both 60 and 30FPS modes, both have same LoD.

Sure did. Posted earlier about it. Sticks out really badly. Didn't notice on PS3.

KorrZ

Not really a spoiler but it has to do with weapons and I wanted to not ruin it for first timers.
For those of you who have played through survivor what are the recommended weapons to upgrade? I am at my first spot and am thinking bout saving my parts.

Bow is an absolute beast once it's upgraded - and invaluable for survivor because of the reusable arrows. Shotgun is also good to upgrade for when shit gets REAL. I pretty much don't waste parts on the handguns at all anymore.

So some shadows ARE better at 30fps but there are also shadows completely missing that are there at 60.
Shadows are mega bugged. Some disappear when you go near them others clip through walls and surfaces. Some outright go away when switching modes and sometimes they come back. Completely random.

Bow is an absolute beast once it's upgraded - and invaluable for survivor because of the reusable arrows. Shotgun is also good to upgrade for when shit gets REAL. I pretty much don't waste parts on the handguns at all anymore.

That's what I was thinking. Using it for the smaller stuff didn't seem like a smart move giving how limited supplies are.

DirtyLarry

Sure it has been mentioned already but really the easiest way to see the difference between 30 and 60 FPS is spin in a circle while standing still on each setting.
Sure, it is not the absolute best way to see the difference, but you clearly see the difference.

If better shadows are worth it to you after doing that, I am not sure what else can be done.

Shadows are mega bugged. Some disappear when you go near them others clip through walls and surfaces. Some outright go away when switching modes and sometimes they come back. Completely random.

Weird. I just noticed shadows under ledges and shadows from cables vanished at 30fps when I switched.

All things considered the difference isn't worth dropping to 30 at all

whitehawk

Banned
This is my first time playing through, glad I waited. Great game so far, glad I'm playing it at 60fps for the first time through. Plus 1080p. Switching to 30fps is jarring.

I can't find any multiplayer games though. Is it not working?

What's the difference between normal and hard?
I played through the game on normal back on the PS3,and found I always had more than enough ammo and supplies, sometimes had to leave stuff behind. Is it just harder to come across items?

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Can you kill clickers with a brick attack? Keep getting eaten. Don't have a melee weapon and don't want to use my gun as there are lots around. In the end I went around them all (except the one by the gate), but want to know for future reference
If you sneak up on Clickers, you can melee them with a brick 3 times to kill them. It alerts the other enemies in the area though.

Goddam. That Summertime thirst.

Is it me or is the area
after the capitol building, in the subway filled with spores much more particle filled?

Looks completely different then how I remember it.

KyleCross

Just picked mine up at Best Buy for $15 after the PS3 trade and $25 worth of vouchers. Gonna stream it in 60fps, hope it goes well. I sucked pretty bad at the game my first time through. XD

Does the save system allow you to play Left Behind and a standard save at the same time?

What's the difference between normal and hard?
I played through the game on normal back on the PS3,and found I always had more than enough ammo and supplies, sometimes had to leave stuff behind. Is it just harder to come across items?

I'd like to know this as well. Normal wasn't that tough, but I don't want a brutal slog if I go with hard now.

Wait we have a cloud? Whenever I hear about 'the cloud' on this site it's in regards to 'the other side'

Back on track, now I have played the first 2 uncharted's.. But man, this is some dark, gritty, for adults only after dark video gaming right now

Yes if you are a ps plus member you can save all your saves to the cloud. you can set this to do it automatically or do it manually.

I need to go return Murdered: Soul Suspect and pick this up. My wife played through most of the PS3 version while I watched, so it would be nice to actually play it this time.

i am excite

sense

Does the save system allow you to play Left Behind and a standard save at the same time?

I'd like to know this as well. Normal wasn't that tough, but I don't want a brutal slog if I go with hard now.

i played normal on ps3 and now playing hard on ps4 and it isn't a brutal slog or anything. you just get the right amount of supplies to get through so as long as you are not careless with using up your stuff it is manageable without being frustrating. i made it to bill's town without dying more than once and i have enough bullets and supplies at all times. i am going to assume on survivor and grounded things would be desperate where you have to find ways to sneak around. on hard i am still able to clear out areas mostly by sneaking and melee.

Hello, ..... Need help. I'm in California, can someone tell me whats supposed to be in the game case? The copy i got was 'resealed' by the gamestop employee (he says i can bring it back for an exchange if there's a problem). ugh,.... should have known better .... but i wanted to confirm there's no online multiplayer code or any other inserts in there that i missed. Please take a photo and let me know. Thank you!

milkham

Hello, ..... Need help. I'm in California, can someone tell me whats supposed to be in the game case? The copy i got was 'resealed' by the gamestop employee (he says i can bring it back for an exchange if there's a problem). ugh,.... should have known better .... but i wanted to confirm there's no online multiplayer code or any other inserts in there that i missed. Please take a photo and let me know. Thank you!

nothing inside but the disc

No worries - it's completely empty inside except for the disc.

Multiplayer down for anyone else? Just got booted in the middle of a match and now if I click on Factions I just get "Error Aunthentication failed" and thrown back to the main menu.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Almost bought it tonight. Having a hard time at $50. If Sony wanted to give me credit for the digital PS3 one I bought and then remove the PS3 version from my digital inventory that would be great. Otherwise I'll probably wait for a sale or it to pop up on PS+

I can barely hold that one game alone on my 60GB.

Arun1910

That is going to be annoying and is the shortest draw distance I have ever seen

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Wow, I never knew that... Could be useful in the higher difficulty modes!

Yeah, it's a super valuable supply saver. Bricks are so disposable anyway, might as well use them for all they're worth.

You can have multiple saves.

And hard is the most balanced difficulty imo. A decent challenge without being overwhelming.

antitrop

That is going to be annoying and is the shortest draw distance I have ever seen

Somebody didn't live through the N64 era!

T3xUZLg.png

That's not a Dark Souls fog gate...

Top Bottom