• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

antitrop

1. This may in fact be one of the best games I've ever played. This game is honestly so fucking good and that can't be overstated enough. The intro made me feel things I haven't felt while playing a videogame in a long while.

After I played it last year, I decided that it was easily the best game I had played since Resident Evil 4.

Cubed

For those having LOD issues:

Are you playing the digital version?

I'm on disc and don't have those issues... I mean, even at those specific parts shown in the YouTube vid.

FTF

Had a scare as for whatever reason my PS4 wouldn't power on (had to unplug it from my surge protector and then plug it back in...please just be a one time thing) but then fired up the game, quickly downloaded the patch and played the first hour or so.

As someone who beat the PS3 version multiple times, holy shit is the 60fps amazing. A couple of times I switched back to 30fps just to see and it was such a huge difference. I don't know if it was the jolt of seeing the game at 60 and then back to 30, but at 30 it was worse then I remember the PS3 version looking when I played. I can't go back.

And I was one that was worried the cutscenes would have that HFR/true vision/hobbit effect (which I hate with a passion) at 60fps but nope, they were just as great as the gameplay at 60. But anyway, the intro is as amazing as I remember and the game is just so, so great. Can't wait to sink my teeth into the game again and get sucked right back in. Then play the equally great Left Behind again. Ahh, this freakin game.

HORRORSHØW

Ok 3 things I need to say as a first time TLOU player:

1. This may in fact be one of the best games I've ever played. This game is honestly so fucking good and that can't be overstated enough. The intro made me feel things I haven't felt while playing a videogame in a long while.

2. I HATE Clickers.

3. I fucking love Ellie like holy fucking shit. Fuck. *flips you off*

The scene where she first meets Bill is incredible. It was that moment that I realized how awesome she is.

ah yes. keep going, my friend. the game's an awesome ride.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Cross-posting from the photo mode thread because GOD DAMN THESE MODELS.

ibcIvCLEe3OnST.jpg

im0myGZfsbQJv.jpg

iQbr0g6ww1euk.jpg

DOWN

Banned
0383_ddf92.gif

This is what I like to hear. Let these developers know that 30fps is no longer acceptable.
But seriously, I can play the PS3 version just fine at 30fps but it's bad in remastered. I was actually wondering too if it's maybe unoptimized or something.

Or maybe it's just because I compared them back and forth so it's more obvious?

But yeah the 60fps plays great, 30fps is no prob for me anywhere but in this game for some reason. In fact, I usually encourage developers go with 30fps if it helps graphical fidelity.

Oh god maybe I'm getting used to 60fps

ramuh

Had a scare as for whatever reason my PS4 wouldn't power on (had to unplug it from my surge protector and then plug it back in...please just be a one time thing) but then fired up the game, quickly downloaded the patch and played the first hour or so.

Holy crap that happened to me two days ago! I would push the power button it would beep and then nothing... I had to unplug it and replug it back it and then it went through a "rebuilding library" or some other crap thing.

As I said earlier, you just aren't used to playing 60 FPS and being able to switch it on the fly. 30 is and always has been that juddery. The original game ran at a lower average frame rate than the straight 30 of the Remaster even. The change is jarring when you can turn it off at the touch of a button.

Dire

But seriously, I can play the PS3 version just fine at 30fps but it's bad in remastered. I was actually wondering too if it's maybe unoptimized or something.

Or maybe it's just because I compared them back and forth so it's more obvious?

But yeah the 60fps plays great, 30fps is no prob for me anywhere but in this game for some reason. In fact, I usually encourage developers go with 30fps if it helps graphical fidelity.

Oh god maybe I'm getting used to 60fps

Probably horribly inappropriate but whatever, there's a famous quote from Harriet Tubman: I freed a thousand slaves I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves.

The thing is you don't really realize how terrible something is until you understand how amazing the alternative is. I think what many console gamers do when supporting 30FPS is compare their favorite game in 30FPS to something like Call of Duty which is a typical console 60FPS title, but that's obviously going to be a pretty silly comparison. When you compare apples to apples, 30FPS looks exactly like what it is - completely unacceptable. The only reason there's been way more outcry from the PC side of the river on this issue is that with PC it's a lot easier to compare apples to apples.

Metfanant

got to be honest...played the game on the PS3...and the framerate never bothered me..i could tell it dropped frames...but it was far from unplayable...

but this game at 60fps?...just looks incredible...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The game is pretty good. Just played about an hour. The combat is so so but it looks very cool. I let out a huge laugh the first time I smashed a brick in a guys face. I also think joel curb stomped a guy? I would'nt know I was just pressing the square button over and over. I'm really into the story so far and the environments are something else.

gdt

It's pretty odd that ND didn't pay more attention to those wonky shadows at 60 fps. Aliasing is quite rare and IQ is stunning in general. The dynamic shadows are practically the only visual flaw from what I've played so far. It doesn't show up often, but when it does, it is quite noticeable. May be they are still working on it (probably why 30 fps got it in a patch).

Speaking of 30 fps, it's hot garbage. I've not played any 30 fps game that stutters so horribly. It's like they created the 30 fps option as a last minute "sure,why not" and didn't bother to polish it. lol

lol

It doesn't work like that. The stutters is your eyes trying to adjust to 30 after the gloriousness of 60. If you stick with it for like 5 mins, you can play without vomiting and your eyes tearing up.

gdt

The game is pretty good. Just played about an hour. The combat is so so but it looks very cool. I let out a huge laugh the first time I smashed a brick in a guys face. I also think joel curb stomped a guy? I would'nt know I was just pressing the square button over and over. I'm really into the story so far and the environments are something else.

Joel will do that depending on whether or not you've been detected (got caught) or if its the last guy, no need to be quiet anymore.

Falling in love with this game all over again. Looks great, and arguably as good as some of the best next-gen has to offer.

That being said, NAUGHTY DOGS:

1. Don't outsource your MP anymore. Build a competent UI and don't make all the characters look like generic garbage, it doesn't stand up to the rest of the package. Learn a thing or two from Bungie how to set up a competent UI and cool character models !!

The gameplay itself is great, but man, it really does feel like another team designed the aesthetics of the MP.

2. Please get rid of the "dead eye" look for UC4...it is really distracting in the single player.

ckohler

Guys, should I play on Grounded difficulty?

I'm by no means an expert player and while I beat the game on Normal mode on the PS3, I did die from time to time. Is Grounded too hard for someone between casual and hard-core or is it only fun for really hard cores?

Guys, I'm having a really strange problem, well, at least I think its weird. When playing this I can't hear my party, but when I exit the application completely I can hear them again. Non of my friends are having this problem.

What I'm wondering, is there a setting I may have enabled or am I just fucked?

I'm by no means an expert player and while I beat the game on Normal mode on the PS3, I did die from time to time. Is Grounded too hard for someone between casual and hard-core or is it only fun for really hard cores?

It's very difficult.

Started playing around six tonight and intended to stop around ten. I get a notification that my controller is dying and I pop out to check the time and it's 11:30. Time flies when you're reliving the feels.

viveks86

lol

It doesn't work like that. The stutters is your eyes trying to adjust to 30 after the gloriousness of 60. If you stick with it for like 5 mins, you can play without vomiting and your eyes tearing up.

Really? haha. I should probably give that another shot then, just for the sake of curiosity. I couldn't even turn Joel where I wanted after I switched. The ND guys weren't exaggerating when they said it felt broken to go back to 30.

The multiplayer will seriously bring me into Destiny and then some. It's so goddamned good.

By the time I get into MP, I'm certain you will top those leaderboards as well. BRB. Too busy taking pictures!

LegendX48

Gotta say, you guys made Grounded sound like it'd be significantly harder than it actually is, well, one hit kill infected aside :p

Other than that, playing this version of the game is just.... It's fucking incredible.

plainr_

Gotta say, you guys made Grounded sound like it'd be significantly harder than it actually is, well, one hit kill infected aside :p

Other than that, playing this version of the game is just.... It's fucking incredible.

Okay fuck it. I'm restarting the game in Grounded. :p

Not only it's really unforgiving and extremely difficult, depending on what the game economy rolls for you it can be impossible to get through some areas without stealthing the majority of them.

On the other hand, if you already stealth through most of the game, it's not going to be that much harder unless you fail at it: the modest bump in enemy perception is small peas compared to everything else.

An example for the folks who already completed the game (and thus, SPOILERS!):
My Grounded run of the tunnel in spring was arguably my easiest: I had already figured out a sure-fire way to pass through its entirety using only 1-3 arrows on my Hard run, and had already perfected it on my Survivor run.

Nizz

Welp, just got home from work and had the game waiting for me. It's amost 1:30 in the morning here in the east coast. Unwinding with an ice coffee and getting ready to play but m worried I'll be up all night lol.

The impressions here are getting me so amped to play right now. 😀

terrible

Banned
The sound is just ridiculously good at times in this game. Walking by a car in the rain you can hear the water hitting the metal. Damn.

Top Bottom