• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Huggers

If anybody wants to watch, I'm doing first playthrough on PS4. Technically I started on Survivor for about an hour or so into the game but I decided to go back from the start and do the run in Grounded instead.

I'm streaming for a friend who wants to watch a bit of gameplay while I chat with him on Skype but if anybody else want to see me fail at the game live here is the link:

http://www.twitch.tv/plainr_

Awesome I'm there

FootballFan

Ok 3 things I need to say as a first time TLOU player:

1. This may in fact be one of the best games I've ever played. This game is honestly so fucking good and that can't be overstated enough. The intro made me feel things I haven't felt while playing a videogame in a long while.

2. I HATE Clickers.

3. I fucking love Ellie like holy fucking shit. Fuck. *flips you off*

The scene where she first meets Bill is incredible. It was that moment that I realized how awesome she is.

So, as someone playing for the first time, I have to say, this game fully justifies all the hype it has.

I've never seen such emotional voice acting (specially in the prologue when
Sarah dies
- this actually brought tears to my eyes). Framerate (60 FPS) is super tight and I haven't noticed any drops even with loads of NPCs on screen.

Graphics are very nice, specially when you take into account that this is a last gen game (but despite being perhaps the best looking console game of last gen, it kinda goes to show that there is a big gap between best of PS3 and earliest of PS4 (Killzone, Infamous), despite what some people claim, that there isn't a large enough gap between generations).

Gameplay in general is amazing, it's truly about survival. I love how the ammo is very scarce and you have to be careful with every shot, crafting system is great. Character animations are excellent.

Oh and by the way, once you go 60 FPS, there is no going back. I tried locking to 30 FPS and the moment I started turning around the camera, I almost screamed: GOD, NO!!!! Reverted to 60 FPS in about 5 seconds, never touched that unholy option again. I have no problem playing 30 FPS games, but given the choice, 60 FPS all the way.

It's great reading the first time impressions here.

Glad you guys are having fun, quite literally one of my favourite games ever.

Did they change the default weapon sway? I remember aiming being hard as fuck without upgrades in the original version.

ibi2WC44A5iXu8.gif

It's dat feel of 60FPS

jaosobno

Awesome! I love reading first timer impressions :) Mind if I ask what part you're at now? You can spoiler tag the location if you think it's appropriate

I'm still early in the game. Finished the prologue part, now I'm
looking for Robert with Tess.
Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to play, so I'm hoping to do much more in the coming days.

Oh, and multiplayer is probably one of the best I've ever played (top 3, hands down). I usually enjoy more dynamic (that is, faster) gameplay, but the slow pacing and the strategy required to win is something I really like in this game. And thanks to the name of the official MP thread, which I saw before starting my first match ("For the love of god please stop running"), I learned a valuable strategic move - crouch and move :)

ibi2WC44A5iXu8.gif

Deag god, is this the latest Naughty Dog tribute to GAF or is it fan made? Looks incredible.

Now I want a TLOU game made specifically for the PS4. God damn, that would look incredible. Savage Starlight sounds so cool too when I imagine it. Also, FUCK 30fps. 60fps even if graphics will be worse in U4, who gives a damn, it feels so good. It's a true change in gameplay.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There is an odd effect around characters when you move the cameras possibly motion blur related? Most noticable when they are a little distance from you - if you move the camera left/right you get a double image overlapping them. Pretty distracting.

Sound is pretty critical to enjoying this fully. When I played through on PS3 I did normal + listen mode, figuring listen mode was giving me the player the situational awareness that Joel would naturally have. Also I often had to play at quiet volume levels as it is most definitely a 'play after the kids are asleep' game. On PS4 I'm playing on hard with listen mode off as recommended, but importantly I'm using headphones and turning the volume up. The difference is huge. I'm not getting detailed directional cues (only stereo headphones, getting Sony golds today) but you still get left/right separation, and clear enough warning when someone is about to spot you.

Also I played until 3.30am last night. I am now regretting that :p

Vaga

So good to hear newcomers reaction to the game, it's a feeling both sweet and sour. Enjoy the experience, get ready for a rollercoaster ride and keep posting impressions.

ShortBleakFantail.gif

Just finished Left Behind for the first time(and got all the trophies in one play through without a guide nonetheless). That was much better than I was expecting. The entire balance of the tone, story, gameplay
(getting the clickers to gang up on the hunters...mmm!)
, the puzzles, exploration, another amazing score, and just a variety of things to do made the dlc arguably better than the main game. The only problem I had with it was
the constant jumping back and forward. I understand what they were going for, but it would have worked better if either the dlc was longer, or the cuts between certain points were less sporadic

Other than that, it was perfect. And Skeleseer can
suck mah dick.

60fps makes one of my favourite games of all time even more enjoyable. I didn't enjoy the MP that much on ps3 due to it feeling too weighty and slow due to the 30 fps. But playing it at 60fps is absolutely amazing and has made MP 100X more enjoyable.

Dunkers92

So awesome seeing first timer impressions on the game. Friday needs to hurry the hell up, I am very jealous of you all. I have a week off next week as well. Didn't plan that to coincide with TLOU at all obviously ;)

Interesting to hear the stock of the game being generally low in a lot of places. Where I work in the UK as of today we will only have 10 copies for non preorders on Friday

farmerboy

Hey, haven't got my copy yet, but there are a few questions I have if anyone is willing to answer.

How is the sound? If I recall correctly, in some interview, someone mentioned that the sound resolution was also increased. I guess by that they meant overall fidelity. Is that the case?

Also, what about the sound mix? I've heard a few complaints in general about the sound mix in early ps4 games. Do they seem to have the mix right? Does mucking around with those azimuth settings make any discernible difference?

I personally play as much as I can with a 5.1 setup and I'm hoping for some feedback from anyone doing the same.

Gaz_RB

Hey, haven't got my copy yet, but there are a few questions I have if anyone is willing to answer.

How is the sound? If I recall correctly, in some interview, someone mentioned that the sound resolution was also increased. I guess by that they meant overall fidelity. Is that the case?

Also, what about the sound mix? I've heard a few complaints in general about the sound mix in early ps4 games. Do they seem to have the mix right? Does mucking around with those azimuth settings make any discernible difference?

I personally play as much as I can with a 5.1 setup and I'm hoping for some feedback from anyone doing the same.

TLOU has some of the best sound/sound options in console gaming. You have nothing to worry about.

XxCGSxX

I bought a PS3 a couple of years ago mainly because I'm a ND fan since I was a kid and I just wanted to play Uncharted. Marathoned all three games in 1 month, one of my favorite games to date. Then I sold the ps3 for more than what I paid for since I knew the ps4 was probably coming in ~2 years and at that time I didn't have the money or time to catch up on ps3 exclusive series. Then out of nowhere TLoU was revealed, I almost freaking cried myself to sleep that night. Now here I am, finally playing it, now with the ps4 as my main platform instead of the Xbox. Couldn't stop playing it today, it's just so fucking good, gameplay, story, everything. I just can't wait to keep playing and see what happens next!!!

New player impressions are amazing. Glad to see they enjoyed it as much as many of us did... I'm also interested to see what they think about the rest of the game. I had to put my copy down
on my way to the capital building
. I know this had to be the best gaming story to me cause I remember all of it like I just played it yesterday.

Btw the game looks amazing but that's how I remember it looking... Comparison videos help a lot, time to at least see the frame difference for myself.

When I played the original on ps3 I had surround sound (rather cheap surround sound). But it sounds so much more crisper and sharper now. Plus my god playing it on my headphones through my controller is god like. I had listen mode enabled but I've not even needed to use it as I know exactly where enemies are.

red731

Just a quick remastered question -

I have the gold wireless 2.0 sony headset, do you guys use no enhancement or the infamous ss or killzone sf one?

Jtrizzy

Played this for 2 or so hours on ps3, but quit bc of frame rate. Needless to say this is an amazing game. The sound design is so good too.

Do we know is GTA 5 remaster will be 60 fps? I had to drop that one too.

Huggers

That is unbelievable they whipped this up in 5 months. UC4 is surely going to be stunning.

Fascinating reading opinions from people that are playing it for the first time. I know this game is incredible but it's good to hear others coming in fresh feel the same way

Definitely rough around the edges in a few places graphically. I'm about 30 minutes in and I've noticed quite a few spots where everything looks good except for one really bad texture that sticks out as a result. There's a real early bit where you're walking through a building and there are spores floating around - some kind of effect looks quite bad when you're shining your flash light around. Don't know the name of it.

I'm guessing it's fairly consistent like this throughout?

Defect

I was expecting Infamous level graphics with this game. I really need comparison shots to notice the real differences because right now it looks graphically like the ps3 version.

*Only beat the intro.

Also 60fps is amazing. Don't know how I played it on the ps3.

Definitely rough around the edges in a few places graphically. I'm about 30 minutes in and I've noticed quite a few spots where everything looks good except for one really bad texture that sticks out as a result. There's a real early bit where you're walking through a building and there are spores floating around - some kind of effect looks quite bad when you're shining your flash light around. Don't know the name of it.

Yeah there are a few weird textures here and there but it seemed to get better to be fair.

Something I did notice though is that they have completely changed the lighting in some areas. When you are
in the museum where Tess and Ellie get attacked by infected
I noticed it was pitch black and had to use my flashlight. However I swear in the ps3 version the entire museum had much more light in the rooms. My brightness on my TV is fine so not sure what that was all about. It definitely made that encounter much more tense on the ps4 version though not been able to see enemies! So I didn't mind. Was just surprised at the complete change of lighting.

The first part of the game is rough, yeah. I remembered playing through it on the PS3 and felt like people did overhype the visuals.

The pacing, environments, almost everything improves remarkably after so hang in there. It gets much, much better.

Alucrid

Banned
I feel like Clickers are easier to deal with than normal infected. They're faster and move really annoying. At least with Clickers you can stand near them as long as you want and the don't care.

Vaga

Did you wait for the game to fully install?

plainr_

Guys help me I don't know what to do! It's been over a year since I last played TLOU. I'm stuck in the first encounter with the clickers. I'm so close but I don't want to fuck it up. Keep in mind I am playing in grounded mode.

http://www.twitch.tv/plainr_

EDIT: Oh wait I can make one.

milkham

Okay. damn it I'm shitting my pants now. I can't make one.

if you have a brick or bottle and a melee weapon, you can toss the brick at them, and while they're stunned run up and melee for one hit kill. it will alert anything around though since its not stealthy at all

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Somebody quick tell me if I can choke out those crazy looking clickers
Been watching your stream, man. That last clicker's a pain in the ass lol

If you want a tip:
You can sneak up on him and bash his head in with a brick. 3 hits kills him.

Be careful!

Played it to death on PS3 and have no desire to do so now. However, I can't wait for more impressions and especially ending discussions of people who played it for the first time. Will keep a watchful eye on the thread.

strazmiejsca.jpg

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Plainr vs. The Clicker is pretty fuckin intense!

Korten

Banned
I know this may be a bit off topic, but I want to stream some multiplayer on Twitch... But why does it bring it to Justin.tv? I never signed up on there. I thought I did something to make it go to Twitch but I guess not.

Should I resign up for twitch?

milkham

I know this may be a bit off topic, but I want to stream some multiplayer on Twitch... But why does it bring it to Justin.tv? I never signed up on there. I thought I did something to make it go to Twitch but I guess not.

Should I resign up for twitch?

it used to be that justin.tv and twitch accounts were the same but they split the systems a while back making some weird account issues, i had to email them and ask them to change mmake my account a twitch one instead of a justin one

watching plain_r 's stream is fun he's very vocal hahahah

Top Bottom