• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

This sounds awesome. So not only do you die from 1 or 2 bullets, but so do your enemies? Niiice and realistic.

Is SURVIVOR or GROUNDED unlocked from the start?

Honestly, the only thing that made grounded mode more difficult for me was that they made the checkpoints further apart, artificial difficulty yay!

Still stand by the fact that even on Grounded this game is really easy. I am halfway done my run through and I haven't not yet upgraded a gun or skill, use only melee]and if I have an extra character joining Ellie and I, I will just let them fight as much and then clean up.

The gameplay is easily broken and provides me very little challenge. Everyone bitched at me on my PS3 run through that I played on Hard and that "survival is how it's meant to be played" blah blah, but no, still an easily broken and exploitable game system.

Great story, graphics and characters tho.

That sounds like a really boring way to play the game. Just sayin'.

funkypie

Banned
What's up with the friend list? Some people have the last of us remastered twice next to their name while others just once when playing. Werid.

That sounds like a really boring way to play the game. Just sayin'.

I get that, but I'm just saying that I purposely do this, and the fact you can shows how unbalanced all the systems are (why are there skill and weapon upgrades if they are never needed, etc.)

Another game that adds RPG type elements just because.

Just got to Winter on Grounded difficulty and immediately started The Left Behind DLC on Grounded as well. I'm convinced that it's my favorite difficulty for sure, but should not be a starting difficulty for most. I beat the game 3 times on PS3; first time on Hard, second on Survivor and third on Survivor+. I feel I have a pretty good grasp on the mechanics so most newcomers should start on Hard just to learn the mechanics and learn about enemy behavior. So on a subsequent play through your not becoming frustrated by something you just weren't taught and don't really know how to complete paired with the devastating 2 hit kill abilities of most enemies.

Edit: Grounded Mode ProTip #1: Get good at throwing bricks and kicking dicks.

Receiver -->TV?

So.. how much harder is Grounded? I did Survivor and only really struggled with a few encounters, and very much enjoyed the feel that difficulty gave.

Does playing on easy allow me to go to grounded+ after I beat it on easy? I want to get all the sp trophies in the most efficient and quickest way. What's the best method? I'm so confused by all the new game plus and difficulties and what carries over etc

Maybe it's just my imagination but I played the game at launch on PS3 on the same difficulty as the PS4 version and it seems easier. Anyone else? Again, maybe it's just my imagination lol.

I know that lowering difficulty allows you to still gain the trophy for the new lowered difficulty, but do we know if you can ADVANCE the difficulty and still get a trophy for that difficulty?

Now that I remember how to play Last of Us I regret only choosing Hard.

OK at the risk of embarrassing myself; I'm going to ask for some help with this. I currently have my PS4 hooked up to my TV via HDMI, and have opitcal out for audio from my PS4 to my receiver. If I hook my PS4 to my receiver via HDMI, how am I supposed to connect my PS4 to the TV?

If you have a HDMI capable receiver why would you have it set up any other way than having all your devices plug into the receiver, then have the HDMI out from your receiver plugged into your TV?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The game is excessively bright in some places. Specifically in the outdoor area in the beginning where it's dark and its just
Joel, Elle and Tess. Where they discover Elle was bitten but not infected
Right before you enter the building with the first difficult encounter. I actually had to adjust my TV settings to make it look close to right. I wonder if I might need to switch my console to RGB Limited.

Anyone else notice this?

So.. how much harder is Grounded? I did Survivor and only really struggled with a few encounters, and very much enjoyed the feel that difficulty gave.
It isn't that much harder in my opinion. I'm up to the hotel part and I've died around ten times. You just have to play cautiously and patiently. The checkpoints can be unforgiving sometimes though. They are further apart from each other.

Impressions of my first play through:

Wow.

This game is incredible. The stunning graphics, the fluidity of the gameplay and combat(DAT 60FPS), the writing, the voice acting, the sound design....I could go on and on, but I'm sure all of this has been said before.

I'm only in Summer, but this game has it's hooks in me.

PS: Thanks to GAF for the hard mode + listen mode off recommendation. This feels really balanced and never cheap (so far at least).

The game is excessively bright in some places. Specifically in the outdoor area in the beginning where it's dark and its just
Joel, Elle and Tess. Where they discover Elle was bitten but not infected
Right before you enter the building with the first difficult encounter. I actually had to adjust my TV settings to make it look close to right. I wonder if I might need to switch my console to RGB Limited.

Anyone else notice this?

Yeah, a few other people have mentioned it too. Not sure why ND decided to crank up the gamma during that section.

StuBurns

Banned
Not only did GameStop sell the game for £10 less than the others, they got it me a day early. Just played the prologue, now I'm like you Remastered GAF.

Sixty Feels Per Second

Ferr986

Why? WHY?? Why do Europeans never get this stuff? I'm stuck with this ugly ass bullshit on the inside and that huge ass butt fucking ugly USK logo on the front. ARGH!!

EU here and yeah, I dont have the reversible cover. Luckily, my preorder came with a steelbook with that same exact art. It looks pretty good.

Btw I played the first hour (never played the PS3 version). Kind of a mixed bag right now, but its unfair to say anything this early yet.

Revan

Has it happened to anyone else where the cutscenes don't play smoothly? And are janky and all over the place (frame skips, audio out of sync)?

Az

Picked it up yesterday. Wish it was my first time playing it again.

Oh, and during the intro I had a weird glitch of one of the characters teleporting back and forth.

HardRojo

I get that, but I'm just saying that I purposely do this, and the fact you can shows how unbalanced all the systems are (why are there skill and weapon upgrades if they are never needed, etc.)

Another game that adds RPG type elements just because.
Skills and upgrades that are never needed? You must be confusing this game with Tomb Raider which had a frustratingly large number of upgrades and skills per weapon/category that were not even needed.

Zing

Banned
Honestly, the only thing that made grounded mode more difficult for me was that they made the checkpoints further apart, artificial difficulty yay!
But, you only need these checkpoints if you are dying. If you are dying, then it isn't as easy as you proclaim, is it?

murgo

EU here and yeah, I dont have the reversible cover. Luckily, my preorder came with a steelbook with that same exact art. It looks pretty good.

Btw I played the first hour (never played the PS3 version). Kind of a mixed bag right now, but its unfair to say anything this early yet.

Are you talking about the Amazon.de steelbook? So you got the normal game case as well?

Wooooo, my copy just arrived, a day early.

Based Gamestop UK.

240.gif

I hate Amazon

Vashetti

Banned
I'm not at home right now and my boyfriend sent me a pic on FB of our copy already arrived from Gamestop UK.

"y is u mad"

Fucking bitch lol

First time playing. Only wanted to play til 11. 12:45 later, the wife comes downstairs to yell at me. Im good and tired today. Going to be a long day at work. Im working my way out of the government building/city hall right now.

Maybe it's because I watched AngryJoe die 25 times on that part but I beat the first Clicker/Runner encounter on grounded on one try. Dat satisfaction. Fuck the museum final room though.

Grounded is the new real way to play the game.

This. So much this. I just got to Lincoln and aside from the obligatory way Naughty Dog introduces you to shooting I haven't fired a single shot yet. I've broken enough bricks to build a house though.

On Grounded mode, anyone know if infected also just take 1-2 shots before going down or do they "need" a headshot for that?

Also, guy in here saying how broken gameplay is.....OOOhhhhhKaaaaay.

StuBurns

Banned
Played the first hour or so, just got to the rain. A few bugs here and there, not super polished, but it really is a huge leap from the PS3 version, it feels so good. Can't wait to play more.

Frillen

So if I beat the game on Hard I will get the Hard, Normal and Easy trophies right? And then, if I beat the game on NG Survival+ I will get the Survival+, Hard+, Normal+ and Easy + trophies? Is this correct?

The suburbs
+ headphones = Scarier than Ravenholm.

Seriously, it's creepy shit. Also forgot how AMAZING the sound designs of explosions & shotguns are.

Formosa

For the peeps that preordered at Amazon... What does that "Extra Supply" preorder bonus do? How can I check in game how much supplies I have? (I know... a stupid question lol)

BFIB

So far, I'm really enjoying my second playthrough. Beat this on PS3, and it quickly became one of my favorite games of all time.

Upon my second playthrough, I think it has become my number one favorite game ever. The atmosphere is second to none, and I'm a sucker for post apocalyptic worlds.

I'm really taking my time on this playthrough, looking at every nook and cranny I can find. But I just got to the downtown area, and it may just be me, but it seems the coloring is way off. Got to the subway, and its even worse. I could barely see during that encounter before heading out from the subway. Hopefully this is the only time that happens!

Top Bottom