• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Rixxan

So grounded mode is pretty tough (and awesome)

just dropped into the hotel basement, I love how you can literally die in one shot if they shoot you in the head, and its just random

very realistic penalty this way

died nearly ten times already, nuts

made it my entire survivor run on ps3 with under 10 deaths so its definitely a step up from survivor

With that particular Clicker, you can just lure it away from it's position with a brick/bottle.

It's definitely possible to unlock all the doors in one go on Survivor, but after using a shiv on that clicker, the chances have dropped dramatically. Every little scrap of blade and binding counts. Luckily, you can just unlock the ones you missed the first time around in NG+.

Damn. I threw a bottle to lure it away but I couldn't get the prompt to boost the others until I killed it. Probably needed to get it well clear.

Which upgrade should I got for first? I have 70 pills atm, not sure whether to get weapon sway or shiv master. I want the more durable shiv but if I can get the sway down I can just kill clickers with the bow. Hmm

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Damnit. At work, but I really want to play again. Just got the (weapon)
best bow in gaming
last night, and I can't wait to do some serious, stealthy damage tonight.

cheezcake

So I just finished it, I didn't have a PS3 so this is my first playthrough and I had nothing spoiled for me going in.

It was good, but honestly given the trillion GOTY awards I expected a lot more. Even just in terms of this year, if I ranked all the games I've played it would come in 4th behind Divinity: Original Sin, Dark Souls 2 and Transistor. There were moments in the story that were really great,
playing as Ellie was fucking awesome
, and the rest of the game storywise is pretty well done.

But from a gameplay perspective it felt pretty average, especially against other people. In pretty much any human encounter I could just sneak past everyone and stealth kill way too easily, even when I'm caught the pretty bad AI tended to just run in the open or switch from cover to cover randomly making them easy to pick off.

Also the points where you have to find a pallet for Ellie to cross some water or a ladder to climb stuff felt really out of place, I would understand if there was some meaningful dialogue going on between Joel and Ellie during those parts but more often than not they were just silent, and you would waste 3-5 minutes doing some inane, simple task.

Maybe I'm just over these types of games.

SRTtoZ

Just got to Lincoln, but holy shit, that underground mall with all the clickers was a NIGHTMARE on Survivor. Loved every minute of it tho.

RkOwnage

How do I view my collectibles? Is it broken down by level, or am I boned if I miss something? Following a guide but I've also been warned of glitches. Second playthrough (played it once last year on PS3, but couldn't focus due to welcoming our daughter into the world!)

Great game, 60fps is amazing.

Altima

Just bought the game I thought this game is a TPS like Uncharted but I'm wrong....

Never play this kind of game before. I'm so bad at stealth kill.

So I just finished it, I didn't have a PS3 so this is my first playthrough and I had nothing spoiled for me going in.

It was good, but honestly given the trillion GOTY awards I expected a lot more. Even just in terms of this year, if I ranked all the games I've played it would come in 4th behind Divinity: Original Sin, Dark Souls 2 and Transistor. There were moments in the story that were really great,
playing as Ellie was fucking awesome
, and the rest of the game storywise is pretty well done.

But from a gameplay perspective it felt pretty average, especially against other people. In pretty much any human encounter I could just sneak past everyone and stealth kill way too easily, even when I'm caught the pretty bad AI tended to just run in the open or switch from cover to cover randomly making them easy to pick off.

Also the points where you have to find a pallet for Ellie to cross some water or a ladder to climb stuff felt really out of place, I would understand if there was some meaningful dialogue going on between Joel and Ellie during those parts but more often than not they were just silent, and you would waste 3-5 minutes doing some inane, simple task.

Maybe I'm just over these types of games.

To be honest, when I first finished it I kinda just had an "oh" feeling. It took me a day or so before I really started to like the game, especially the ending. I personally value great story and presentation with "average" gameplay in this type of game over the other way around, which is possibly a reason why I ended up liking it so much.

I do agree the pallet crossings were a bit tiresome by the end, would have been good to mix that up a little. Out of curiosity, what difficulty did you play on? Your comment on the AI being easy to pick off makes it sound like you'ld benefit from a higher difficulty?

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
So i had a chance to get back into this last night - probably for the first time since I bought my PS4 ...

Oh i had almost forgot...

That feel when you find a couple bullets and smile inside... then you find some more and get honestly excited! ... then you find a few more. And some shotgun shells. And a steel pipe... and the pit in your stomach is back and you almost want to cry because you didn't just find extra ammo. You just found the beginning of a fucking scramble for survival.

The little one liners and wrapping your arm around someone as you both hide behind a wall.

HUGE brawls with Bill and Ellie backing you up while you just wail away on 2 no wait is it 3 oh FUCK me it's 5 Runners all up in your shit... so you decide fuuuuck this and take out the shotgun only to instantly regret using the ammo.

Dat Grin when the change from controllers clicks and you're back in that shitty little mall with Tess and Ellie finding your way through the dark and dealing with clickers for the first time. You remember spending 10.. no 20 .. was it actually 30 or more?? minutes in this room perfecting how to get through on survivor. And then you remember you are only playing on hard and you have two molotov cocktails literally burning a hole in your pocket.

omfg the 60...

I also saved Ellie from a runner inside the capitol building and through a weird combo of throwing a brick, full on sprinting, the confined space and the infected being tangled up with a character i saw an execution animation that i have never fuckin seen before.

This. Game.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Damn. I threw a bottle to lure it away but I couldn't get the prompt to boost the others until I killed it. Probably needed to get it well clear.

Which upgrade should I got for first? I have 70 pills atm, not sure whether to get weapon sway or shiv master. I want the more durable shiv but if I can get the sway down I can just kill clickers with the bow. Hmm
Shiv master is pretty much useless on Survivor, especially if your saving shivs for doors.

I'd go for either max health or weapon sway.

SRTtoZ

Damn just for shits and giggles I checked out my local Gamestop in southern NY and it has low stock. I wonder if they short shipped this or its selling REALLY well.

Shiv master is pretty much useless on Survivor, especially if your saving shivs for doors.

I'd go for either max health or weapon sway.

Yep this right here. Health + Weapon Sway first IMO.

Gaz_RB

Put some hours into Grounded mode and I am now convinced this is the best way to experience The Last Of Us.

Not only do you die from 1 or 2 bullets but so do your enemies, Resources are scarce, It is just surviving with instinct.

also it feels a lot better that the enemies are not bullet sponges. 1 shot to the chest and dead. The way it should be in a game like this.

Seriously. It's perfect.

I think Uncharted should have less bullet spongy enemies as well.

So i had a chance to get back into this last night - probably for the first time since I bought my PS4 ...

Oh i had almost forgot...

That feel when you find a couple bullets and smile inside... then you find some more and get honestly excited! ... then you find a few more. And some shotgun shells. And a steel pipe... and the pit in your stomach is back and you almost want to cry because you didn't just find extra ammo. You just found the beginning of a fucking scramble for survival.

The little one liners and wrapping your arm around someone as you both hide behind a wall.

HUGE brawls with Bill and Ellie backing you up while you just wail away on 2 no wait is it 3 oh FUCK me it's 5 Runners all up in your shit... so you decide fuuuuck this and take out the shotgun only to instantly regret using the ammo.

Dat Grin when the change from controllers clicks and you're back in that shitty little mall with Tess and Ellie finding your way through the dark and dealing with clickers for the first time. You remember spending 10.. no 20 .. was it actually 30 or more?? minutes in this room perfecting how to get through on survivor. And then you remember you are only playing on hard and you have two molotov cocktails literally burning a hole in your pocket.

omfg the 60...

I also saved Ellie from a runner inside the capitol building and through a weird combo of throwing a brick, full on sprinting, the confined space and the infected being tangled up with a character i saw an execution animation that i have never fuckin seen before.

This. Game.

Word. Game of the years.

SRTtoZ

I HATE the autosave feature. Just jumped off a ledge on accident, cant go back and get the collectibles.

Me too! At the end of the capital building part SPOILER!
after tess dies
, I was running from the men who enter the building and forgot to check the room, so when I jumped down I couldnt get back up. Fack, hope I didnt miss anything.

Any tips on how to complete sections where there's a lot of clickers? I don't have any burning bottles, shivs or wooden planks to use.

It's the part where Joel is separated from Ellie and Tess, after the subway segment.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Grounded run, just did the first couple of early encounters, when shit broke down it was all headshots, at the very least I got that going for me, can't even imagine stealthing through some of the later bits.

cheezcake

To be honest, when I first finished it I kinda just had an "oh" feeling. It took me a day or so before I really started to like the game, especially the ending. I personally value great story and presentation with "average" gameplay in this type of game over the other way around, which is possibly a reason why I ended up liking it so much.

I do agree the pallet crossings were a bit tiresome by the end, would have been good to mix that up a little. Out of curiosity, what difficulty did you play on? Your comment on the AI being easy to pick off makes it sound like you'ld benefit from a higher difficulty?

I probably would've in hindsight, I was playing on normal + no listen mode. When I play a story driven game for the first time I pretty much always play on normal/regular difficulty, so the narrative pacing doesn't feel wonky.

Any tips on how to complete sections where there's a lot of clickers? I don't have any burning bottles, shivs or wooden planks to use.

It's the part where Joel is separated from Ellie and Tess, after the subway segment.

Immediately go to your left (crounched, slowly), throw a brick at a wall in the right to distract the clicker at the end of the corridor, go through the door to the left of where the clicker was, and just run upstairs like a mad person and meelee the runner at the door. You should then trigger the next section.

So how many playthroughs does it take to get all the trophies? I'm playing on hard atm. What's the best method, hard first playthrough, survivor second?

Nafai1123

Banned
Just got to where
you leave Bill and encounter the human scavengers. That giant warehouse is fucking hard. Trying to get through it stealthy using the bow.

Finally upgraded my aim sway which makes a huge difference.

Use the many bricks/bottles to your advantage. Throw them away from where you have to go and just sneak by them if you can't kill them.

LaneDS

Man, I still can't get into this game. I can see it's well crafted and plays well, but it just doesn't click.

How far into the game are you? I remember playing it last year and finding that I didn't start really enjoying it until a few hours in, as the gameplay became more familiar whereas earlier it was more tedious. Never felt it ever became outright fun, but I think that's more a function of the gameplay's context. Surviving encounters had some element of satisfaction, but I don't think back to playing it and say "boy that was just so much fun". That said, by the end I loved it and think if you're only two (maybe even three) hours in you should give it a bit more time to see if it does in fact click.

mstevens

Just got past the part where
sam turns and henry kills himself

Wow. ND are the masters at those types of scenes. I've never played a game like it.

Alric

Loving the game. Never played the PS3 version because I kept holding off til it went down in price. Sort of glad I just got the PS4 version because that 60fps is so nice and the gameplay / story is amazing.

Anyone know how far in I am? I just got to the part where
the hunters slam a bus into your truck, fought my way into a warehouse past a run down checkpoint and called it a night.

subrock

First time through the game is in progress. Story is really well done. I think the sound design is one of my favorite parts of this game.

Getting quite frustrated in the "dudes-everywhere" type scenarios that result in me dying over and over again to cheap ass one hit kill clickers. Restarting for the 15th time breaks the immersion.

Loving the game. Never played the PS3 version because I kept holding off til it went down in price. Sort of glad I just got the PS4 version because that 60fps is so nice and the gameplay / story is amazing.

Anyone know how far in I am? I just got to the part where
the hunters slam a bus into your truck, fought my way into a warehouse past a run down checkpoint and called it a night.

Maybe 20-25%. You ain't seen nothin, the best is yet to come :)

Putty

Feels so good getting back into this PS4 version! An amazing job in such a short time! I'd REALLY love an Unchartered Trilogy! However, I don't think it would be ND doing it.

I've been using photomode like crazy and my favourite thing is that I have so many screens, I can scroll through them and it kind of tells the story of my playthrough. Really neat feeling

robinsxe

Im playing the EU version and im having serious issues with the physics of dead bodies. When I go in clearing a room, usually 1 or 2 corpses gets stuck in some enless animation on the ground and moves around on the floor, while being dead. Another bug i've encountered is that the game has booted me from a scene 2-3 times into the black "you are dead"-screen, without me being dead. I've just been sitting behind a crater or whatever, and it has killed me for no apperent reason.

Anyone else experience these bugs?

60 fps is amazing btw.

Gotta say how much I dislike how easy streaming is now this generation. For these types of games it just bums me out, cause I know people that may not have had an interest will just spoil the entire experience. Or some of my friends stopped playing halfway through and I'm sure the ease of just heading to the stream area and viewing at Who Knows Where part in the game will lessen the experience.

Also it makes me die a bit inside when I see this game being streamed all over the place with quirky people answering comments and talking about random crap, with rooms named "epic headshot bow only playthrough!!". It just gamie's up the game to me... This has bothered me for a while, but I know people don't share a similar pet peeve.

If these games just had a by default, "Hide games I have not yet played" or a better spoiler management I'd be a bit happier.

But this whole new fad just cheapens a lot of these interesting personal experiences... To me.

This is my first time playing the game, playing it on hard. I have listen mode turned on but I've only used it for that tutorial section that asks you to. However after 15 hours of gameplay I've died 50 times lol. Its fun though.

The reversible cover of the physical copy

amcvholkwbcguuxpflo9.gif

Daffy Duck

I completed this game on normal on my PS3 last year, and I really want to play this on the hardest difficulty, but would it be more advisable to play it on a lower difficulty then go for the grounded playthrough on a second go with NG+?

jiiikoo

Banned
I just bought a pair of Sony headphones for my PS4 and I've seen alot of you guys here saying that there's a The Last of Us profile for the headphones, but I can't see it in the Companion App. All I have are Watch_Dogs, Infamous, Shooter and Fighting. Where can I find the TLOU:R profile?

jaosobno

It's really interesting how this game seriously pushes the entire survival thing. I am used to games funneling me through some predetermined path (even the open world ones) where you have to eliminate most or all enemies. So even if you choose stealth you still have to kill almost everyone to complete something.

Not in TLOU. I get to the part with 6-7 enemy soldiers. I'm thinking "damn, how am I going to waste them all, since few of them seem to always perfectly cover each other". After 6 failed attempts at stealth (didn't want to waste ammo and I'm playing on hard difficulty), the strangest thought occurred to me; why am I trying to eliminate all of them? Perhaps I have a problem only with one of them. So, I proceeded to eliminate only a single solider which was impossible to sneak by and left others alone.

Same situation happened in a area with a bunch of clickers and runners. I've used bottles to distract most of them, ended up eliminating only a single clicker which was impossible to avoid.

In short, there is no fucking around in TLOU. You enter conflicts only when you absolutely must, you watch your ammo like it's the last drop of water in a desert, it's much better to bash someone's head into a wall with a single strike instead of bludgeoning your enemy to death and break your precious improvised wooden club.

TLOU truly is a 10/10 game. Gameplay is perfect, atmosphere (specially the ambient sounds) is incredible, voice acting is superb (probably the best I've ever heard), character animations are mind blowing (considering memory restrictions of the original platform). Now I fully understand why so many people call Naught Dog, Naughty Gods.

I probably would've in hindsight, I was playing on normal + no listen mode. When I play a story driven game for the first time I pretty much always play on normal/regular difficulty, so the narrative pacing doesn't feel wonky.

You should've gone at Hard Mode when you started to notice how easy your playthrough. I guarantee you'll end up in very different scenarios than you're accustomed to. My friend and I for instance had this exact same discussion but with very different outcomes. He was surprised to see the enemy so resilient in taking you done. You should have a second round with this game with a higher difficulty and share your impressions.

Top Bottom