• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Menaged

It's really interesting how this game seriously pushes the entire survival thing. I am used to games funneling me through some predetermined path (even the open world ones) where you have to eliminate most or all enemies. So even if you choose stealth you still have to kill almost everyone to complete something.

Not in TLOU. I get to the part with 6-7 enemy soldiers. I'm thinking "damn, how am I going to waste them all, since few of them seem to always perfectly cover each other". After 6 failed attempts at stealth (didn't want to waste ammo and I'm playing on hard difficulty), the strangest thought occurred to me; why am I trying to eliminate all of them? Perhaps I have a problem only with one of them. So, I proceeded to eliminate only a single solider which was impossible to sneak by and left others alone.

Same situation happened in a area with a bunch of clickers and runners. I've used bottles to distract most of them, ended up eliminating only a single clicker which was impossible to avoid.

I feel the same way.
After the basement section, I realizied that I don't have to fight in every encounter. Running away or sneaking past enemies is also an option.
On my Survivor playthrouth I used this tactic a bit more. I think I did it at the place you're describing, a bit after Tess dies. I tried killing them all but it was impossible, so I try a different path, and suddenly I see the exit near me, and I decide to go for it.
I must say that just sneaking by is much more tense. My heart rate went up, as I was wishing not to hear that "whoosh" sound.

Synless

Why does the 30fps mode have such a janky stutter? I've played plenty of games at 30fps to know it shouldn't jutter like that.

kubus

It's really interesting how this game seriously pushes the entire survival thing. I am used to games funneling me through some predetermined path (even the open world ones) where you have to eliminate most or all enemies. So even if you choose stealth you still have to kill almost everyone to complete something.

Not in TLOU. I get to the part with 6-7 enemy soldiers. I'm thinking "damn, how am I going to waste them all, since few of them seem to always perfectly cover each other". After 6 failed attempts at stealth (didn't want to waste ammo and I'm playing on hard difficulty), the strangest thought occurred to me; why am I trying to eliminate all of them? Perhaps I have a problem only with one of them. So, I proceeded to eliminate only a single solider which was impossible to sneak by and left others alone.

Same situation happened in a area with a bunch of clickers and runners. I've used bottles to distract most of them, ended up eliminating only a single clicker which was impossible to avoid.

In short, there is no fucking around in TLOU. You enter conflicts only when you absolutely must, you watch your ammo like it's the last drop of water in a desert, it's much better to bash someone's head into a wall with a single strike instead of bludgeoning your enemy to death and break your precious improvised wooden club.

TLOU truly is a 10/10 game. Gameplay is perfect, atmosphere (specially the ambient sounds) is incredible, voice acting is superb (probably the best I've ever heard), character animations are mind blowing (considering memory restrictions of the original platform). Now I fully understand why so many people call Naught Dog, Naughty Gods.
Funny, I feel exactly the opposite of this and it's one of the few problems I have with the game.

More than once I tried to sneak past by an area infested with clickers and runners, only to come to a door and being told that I have to kill everyone first before proceeding. For example,
inside the school
. A bit before that, something similar happened. Then later, in Pittsburgh, after
the ambush
I sneaked past all the hunters but there was no exit. So there goes all my stealth efforts, kill everyone it is.

The game does not always make it clear to the player what is expected of them. Most of the time it does, but especially on Grounded it's very frustrating when you learn that you've basically wasted 30 minutes on doing a perfect stealth run only to learn that you have to go back because I don't know.

This MP....it's horrible :eek:
Really? I think the party matchmaking is a bit messed up, but once it gets going it GOES and playing with some friends, some GAF folk, and alone in no-party has been a lot of fun. It's not for everyone, though.

BTW, this is the reversible cover:

Y8DHRR.jpg

d9b

Banned
Why does the 30fps mode have such a janky stutter? I've played plenty of games at 30fps to know it shouldn't jutter like that.
If you jump back from 60 your eyes are adjusting to lower frame rate I guess. If you stick with 30 for a while and your eyes get used to it it's fine. 60 fps is butter I have to admit, although there's some funky things happening with occasional shadow.
Love this game (first time player) but it's a bit rough around the edges at certain points. I'm talking about graphics. I hope they are working on a patch. Shame because otherwise it looks ace.

Does anyone elses disc drive stay continously spinning whilst playing this?
I thought it stopped after a while like all the other PS4 games, but mines spinning from the moment the disc is inserted.

I just bought a pair of Sony headphones for my PS4 and I've seen alot of you guys here saying that there's a The Last of Us profile for the headphones, but I can't see it in the Companion App. All I have are Watch_Dogs, Infamous, Shooter and Fighting. Where can I find the TLOU:R profile?

If you updated the app you should see it in the second row middle section for the gold wireless headset

I've seen a handful of people say the same thing now. Do you think it's the stark contrast of switching from 60fps to 30fps in-game? Or is it something else?

Synless

I've seen a handful of people say the same thing now. Do you think it's the stark contrast of switching from 60fps to 30fps in-game? Or is it something else?
I don't recall having this issue if I was playing a 60fps game and switched to a 30fps game ever. Though, after playing for a while, my mind adjust to it, so maybe it's just that.

Okay, so I'm eating crow.

I AM noticing object pop-in/phase-in in certain key parts, and it's quite jarring/immersion breaking when you actually trigger it.

Basically the big ones I've noticed thus far are the mattress in the second floor of the
book store (where the hunters are hold up)
that's near the coffee counter at the back...if you're walking towards the mattress from the shelves it will slowly phase in (oddly enough, the pillows will be floating in space until the entire mattress phases in).

Another one I noticed, once you get out of said building through the back way...if you look at the red brick wall you see a gas meter with a network of piping, and the pipes will phase in and out as you walk just a few feet back and forth.

We should probably start taking video/screen captures of these things and post them, because obviously Naughty Dog is reading the forum so hopefully they'll take note of these things and start including fixes in their next update.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Funny, I feel exactly the opposite of this and it's one of the few problems I have with the game.

More than once I tried to sneak past by an area infested with clickers and runners, only to come to a door and being told that I have to kill everyone first before proceeding. For example,
inside the school
. A bit before that, something similar happened. Then later, in Pittsburgh, after
the ambush
I sneaked past all the hunters but there was no exit. So there goes all my stealth efforts, kill everyone it is.

The game does not always make it clear to the player what is expected of them. Most of the time it does, but especially on Grounded it's very frustrating when you learn that you've basically wasted 30 minutes on doing a perfect stealth run only to learn that you have to go back because I don't know.
This never happens in the game and I've played it multiple times now. The only times this somewhat happens, it is grounded in the context of the story or area; a garage door you can't possibly open without alerting everyone ( Lot of places,
the ambush
you specifically mention is a small area with enemies that are already aware of your presence. It is not feasible to open that door without them noticing. ), an enemy holding the key to a door, the door being locked from the other side and needs to be opened by another character, or there simply just being to many people to not get spotted or someone guarding the door. A number of other significant encounters (
Bookstore, Hotel, Hospital, Underground, Capitol Building, more
) most definitely enable you to just sneak past.

You need to keep in mind that this is not a stealth game, it's a survival game. Stealth is sometimes the answer, and sometimes it is not. Such is the nature of survival. Playing this game as a full-on shooter or playing it as a full-on stealth game is not the way you should be playing this game ( Yes, I believe that certain games can be played 'wrong'. That is not meant to be an insult. ); you should be able to adapt to the situations the game throws at you. Sneaking past the enemy and then getting to a garage door you can't possibly raise without alerting everyone is a situation you should be able to adapt to. Getting spotted and shot at during sneaking around, alerting all enemies, is a situation you should adapt to. It makes sense in the context of what this game is.

EDIT;
If you updated the app you should see it in the second row middle section for the gold wireless headset
It's not in the app and I see no option to update.

Man, frustrating as hell.

Official Sony stores with their 10% discount on games won't receive the game for at least 2 weeks.

Nearby stores are selling the game at$65 even though the official retail price is $35.

Fuck this shit, I'm downloading 50gb.

delume

Just finished my second session with this lovely game (work felt infinite today) and ended at
Bill, Ellie and myself heading to get a battery.
Crafting has kicked in a bit more and creating the
extra holsters
has made Joel feel super flexible in combat situations. Some great incidental dialogue between Ellie and Joel
"Does it sound like i can whistle?!"
The tension when dodging clickers is incredible and when the apocalypse comes I will be stockpiling bricks.

Great moment for me was
after Tess died (very grim), and Ellie and I ended on the other side of the doors. I pottered around looking for items and checking out the architecture. There was dialogue from the soldiers about busting in the door but i just assumed I was safe because they would be stuck on the other side of the cutscene. ;) Next thing they burst through door, Ellie starts swearing and I go sprinting up the stairs with gunfire all around us. Felt terrifying, embarrassing and I won't be that stupid again. Game does a great job of making you feel your in their world.
Lesson learnt.

jiiikoo

Banned
EDIT;
It's not in the app and I see no option to update.

Same here. No option to update nor do I have the Preset present. But, I managed to sort it out. I downloaded the Companion App from the US PSN store, and there it was. Not sure if the EU app gets updates later than the US version, but downloading the US one worked fine.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Started yesterday and it's pretty clear that this is a huge step up from the ps3 version. There are people saying the gap isn't big enough to double dip if you own the original, but if you love the game, consider getting it because it's like night and day. When I entered the first nature area (with the ladder) I noticed a pretty stark difference, the game just looks a lot cleaner. The 60fps is the best part though. Can't wait to get back to it this evening.

btw I did run into a pretty weird animation bug. When you need to hand over your passports to the officer, the passports were spinning in mid air and he wasn't moving for a few seconds, really weird.

kubus

This never happens in the game and I've played it multiple times now. The only times this somewhat happens, it is grounded in the context of the story or area; a garage door you can't possibly open without alerting everyone ( Lot of places,
the ambush
you specifically mention is a small area with enemies that are already aware of your presence. It is not feasible to open that door without them noticing. ), an enemy holding the key to a door, the door being locked from the other side and needs to be opened by another character, or there simply just being to many people to not get spotted or someone guarding the door. A number of other significant encounters (
Bookstore, Hotel, Hospital, Underground, Capitol Building, more
) most definitely enable you to just sneak past.

You need to keep in mind that this is not a stealth game, it's a survival game. Stealth is sometimes the answer, and sometimes it is not. Such is the nature of survival. Playing this game as a full-on shooter or playing it as a full-on stealth game is not the way you should be playing this game ( Yes, I believe that certain games can be played 'wrong'. That is not meant to be an insult. ); you should be able to adapt to the situations the game throws at you. Sneaking past the enemy and then getting to a garage door you can't possibly raise without alerting everyone is a situation you should be able to adapt to. Getting spotted and shot at during sneaking around, alerting all enemies, is a situation you should adapt to. It makes sense in the context of what this game.
I know that it makes sense in the context of the game and after arriving at a door that clearly can't be opened without making a LOT of noise it's logical that the game wants me to clear out the area first. I accept that it is that way and that's the nature of survivaling (even though those barriers are placed there deliberately by the developers to steer the player into engaging the enemies) but that doesn't take away that I really hate it when this happens. It makes some sections a drag to play and I feel like I wasted some good time when I arrive at the "invisible wall" that denies me from moving forward.

It's kind of the same problem at the part where
Joel gives Ellie the rifle
. You can keep taking down guys stealthily, but you won't be able to proceed until you get spotted and
Ellie shoots a guy for you
. It's necessary for the plot development but that doesn't excuse the bad gameplay design there.

I still really enjoy the game though, don't get me wrong. Like I said, to me it's a minor flaw in an overall really amazing game.

Just finished my second session with this lovely game (work felt infinite today) and ended at
Bill, Ellie and myself heading to get a battery.
Crafting has kicked in a bit more and creating the
extra holsters
has made Joel feel super flexible in combat situations. Some great incidental dialogue between Ellie and Joel
"Does it sound like i can whistle?!"
The tension when dodging clickers is incredible and when the apocalypse comes I will be stockpiling bricks.

Great moment for me was
after Tess died (very grim), and Ellie and I ended on the other side of the doors. I pottered around looking for items and checking out the architecture. There was dialogue from the soldiers about busting in the door but i just assumed I was safe because they would be stuck on the other side of the cutscene. ;) Next thing they burst through door, Ellie starts swearing and I go sprinting up the stairs with gunfire all around us. Felt terrifying, embarrassing and I won't be that stupid again. Game does a great job of making you feel your in their world.
Lesson learnt.

Is this your very first time playing through it?

So sad. Bought a copy from Walmart last night because I got off work late, and this sucks cause nothing was in it. Went back and bought another copy because I really wanted to play it and opened it in the store, which sucks still because we're kind of short on cash right now at home.

Walmart won't let me exchange my non existent copy from my original purchase, and definitely goin to call corporate tmmrw.

Should have known, considering my copy sealing plastic wasn't on all the way and after opening it, and the back plastic was stretched.

Game so far though feels fresh since I haven't played it since release period, and it feels new and familiar all at the same time. Due to that though I don't feel the visual jump, just the framerate improvements. Which that by itself has made the game much better to play on every level.

leng jai

Really? I think the party matchmaking is a bit messed up, but once it gets going it GOES and playing with some friends, some GAF folk, and alone in no-party has been a lot of fun. It's not for everyone, though.

BTW, this is the reversible cover:

Y8DHRR.jpg

Reversible covers with no spine are useless :/

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
I know that it makes sense in the context of the game and after arriving at a door that clearly can't be opened without making a LOT of noise it's logical that the game wants me to clear out the area first. I accept that it is that way and that's the nature of survivaling (even though those barriers are placed there deliberately by the developers to steer the player into engaging the enemies) but that doesn't take away that I really hate it when this happens. It makes some sections a drag to play and I feel like I wasted some good time when I arrive at the "invisible wall" that denies me from moving forward.

It's kind of the same problem at the part where
Joel gives Ellie the rifle
. You can keep taking down guys stealthily, but you won't be able to proceed until you get spotted and
Ellie shoots a guy for you
. It's necessary for the plot development but that doesn't excuse the bad gameplay design there.

I still really enjoy the game though, don't get me wrong. Like I said, to me it's a minor flaw in an overall really amazing game.
Yes, they were put there by the developers, but they are never invisible walls. When they block your progress, they contextualize this within the story. You don't go back to kill everyone because the developers put an invisible wall in, you go back because you are Joel, and Joel would not risk opening a loud garage door that would very likely alert all enemies. Sneaking around and getting to that door, realizing you can't get through and then turning back while planning how to take everyone down with the resources you have is an integral part of the game.

I did not know you had to get spotted in that specific moment you're describing and was under the impression that
Ellie shot by herself without any need for anything from your side, or would at least shoot the final enemy if he was the only one left and Ellie hadn't shot yet
, so I'll have to check back on that, but again, as you said, it is contextualized in the story. You are Joel
wanting Ellie to practice her shooting
, not Kubus trying to sneak through without alerting anyone.

But I can see how it can be an annoyance if you expected to be able the sneak through the whole game.

I wish there was an option to silence the footsteps of your AI buddies. I'm playing with listen off and headphones for the first time (did PS3 run with TV speakers), and every time I try to sneak past bunch of clickers, trying hard to listen in and to make sure the path is clear with heightened nerves and what not, and TURP TURP TURP TURP goes Ellie across my screen. Goddamn heart attack every single time.

I heard my PS4's fans for the first time last night after a marathon session. Not nearly as loud as the PS3 used to get but still... it's getting quite the workout, it seems.

I had the same issue when using optical out. When I changed it to HDMI audio on my receiver it detected a 5.1 set-up in game (rather than 7.1, but I don't know if that's supported).

Damn. I should try that - I posted the same problem as well. Have my PS4 going HDMI into my TV, then optical out to my receiver. Game only detects 2.0 - i wonder if it thinks its just outputting to my TV.

Will try running HDMI through my receiver to my TV instead and see if that fixes it

This was exactly my set-up. I think doing HDMI out for audio will fix your issue. (Auto-detect in-game was insisting I was using my TV speakers when I wasn't)

OK at the risk of embarrassing myself; I'm going to ask for some help with this. I currently have my PS4 hooked up to my TV via HDMI, and have opitcal out for audio from my PS4 to my receiver. If I hook my PS4 to my receiver via HDMI, how am I supposed to connect my PS4 to the TV?

Just got to Winter on Grounded difficulty and immediately started The Left Behind DLC on Grounded as well. I'm convinced that it's my favorite difficulty for sure, but should not be a starting difficulty for most. I beat the game 3 times on PS3; first time on Hard, second on Survivor and third on Survivor+. I feel I have a pretty good grasp on the mechanics so most newcomers should start on Hard just to learn the mechanics and learn about enemy behavior. So on a subsequent play through your not becoming frustrated by something you just weren't taught and don't really know how to complete paired with the devastating 2 hit kill abilities of most enemies.

Edit: Grounded Mode ProTip #1: Get good at throwing bricks and kicking dicks.

OK at the risk of embarrassing myself; I'm going to ask for some help with this. I currently have my PS4 hooked up to my TV via HDMI, and have opitcal out for audio from my PS4 to my receiver. If I hook my PS4 to my receiver via HDMI, how am I supposed to connect my PS4 to the TV?

Receiver -->TV?

Binabik15

I have a Logitech Z5000 system and the PS4 connected to it via optical, because it has no HDMI. Nothing else between it an the PS. Doesn't allow me to select more than 2 channels. So, this is normal?! Nothing I can do? I played it on PS3 with the same speakers in glorious 5.1 :/

Sorry, Ihaven't reade verything, I just checked this thread to ask about audio since I just started playing and noticed that it wasn't surround sound (didn't notice yesterday, as I had some weird sound issue with background noises dropping in and out and scratching sounds, making it hard to notice anything). Thenthe last post was about audio, heh.

DSmalls84

Depends on the game I think. Mine definitely got loud playing infamous, but I keep mine in an entertainment center and open the doors when I play.

Andrew.

Banned
All finished on Hard, yet somehow my dumbass missed a side convo or two and an artifact. All shiv doors, pendants and comics be got though.

Time for run #2

Voorhees

Put some hours into Grounded mode and I am now convinced this is the best way to experience The Last Of Us.

Not only do you die from 1 or 2 bullets but so do your enemies, Resources are scarce, It is just surviving with instinct.

also it feels a lot better that the enemies are not bullet sponges. 1 shot to the chest and dead. The way it should be in a game like this.

This. So much this. I just got to Lincoln and aside from the obligatory way Naughty Dog introduces you to shooting I haven't fired a single shot yet. I've broken enough bricks to build a house though.

Anyone else noticing a lot of bugs in this version?

Just in the prologue I had NPCs running on the spot, horrible pop in, weird texture lines around buildings (like white seams), enemies just scripting in and spawning in out of nowhere, a lot of clipping, etc.

I never remembered all these issues when playing the PS3 versions. Seems like this port is in need of some serious patching.

It's especially jarring because. Naughty Dog games are known for their spit and polish.

LAA

Sigh, gutted a little now.

Good news is I got the game today from Gamestop UK (So now I can trust them in the same league as ShopTo)

Bad news... I should have got the Day 1 edition with the pre order bonus, but no... It seems some did and some didn't and my invoice says I should get the pre-order bonus. Can live without the "Day 1" on the box (Though its a little annoying as that makes it more special/rare), but the code is what I'm most gutted about.

Sent them and e-mail/twitter, hopefully they'll pull through for me...

This. So much this. I just got to Lincoln and aside from the obligatory way Naughty Dog introduces you to shooting I haven't fired a single shot yet. I've broken enough bricks to build a house though.

Still stand by the fact that even on Grounded this game is really easy. I am halfway done my run through and I haven't not yet upgraded a gun or skill, use only melee and if I have an extra character joining Ellie and I, I will just let them fight as much and then clean up.

The gameplay is easily broken and provides me very little challenge. Everyone bitched at me on my PS3 run through that I played on Hard and that "survival is how it's meant to be played" blah blah, but no, still an easily broken and exploitable game system.

Great story, graphics and characters tho.

ufo8mycat

Put some hours into Grounded mode and I am now convinced this is the best way to experience The Last Of Us.

Not only do you die from 1 or 2 bullets but so do your enemies, Resources are scarce, It is just surviving with instinct.

also it feels a lot better that the enemies are not bullet sponges. 1 shot to the chest and dead. The way it should be in a game like this.

This sounds awesome. So not only do you die from 1 or 2 bullets, but so do your enemies? Niiice and realistic.

Is SURVIVOR or GROUNDED unlocked from the start?

Top Bottom