• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Are you playing on a PC monitor?

I have a 42" Sony Bravia from 2009 and the blacks were completely crushed on Full. Auto defaults to Limited and everything looks fine then.
Nope. I never use Full unless I'm just messing around and I usually redo the settings on this set using test patterns every couple of months.

I know some ND Devs read our posts here, can you guys have your own store so we can buy TLoU or Uncharted shirts/hoodies/everythingelse?

Some of the shirts you guys made for yourselves are great. I think most of us here would definitely jump at the opportunity to buy some :D

A good game. If you're expecting the second coming of video games or for your perception of reality to be shattered you'll be disappointed. It's a solid game but it's visually dull (the entire game is brown sewers, grey streets, and dilapidated buildings, and there's many moments where it's kind of a slog.

But it's good.

The sarcasm, I can taste it..

SRTtoZ

Game of the generation, huh? I think MGS 4 was better than this, and MGO was a lot better than TLOU online IMO.

As a huge fan of MGS4, this game to me is a much better experience overall. The pacing is way better than anything MSG-wise.

Melfice7

Something must be wrong with the optional conversations trophy, im 100% sure i got all of them and game says i have 1 missing :|

Hubb

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I actually can't believe how dirty Joel and Tess are. They look super dirty. I mean before they were dirty but now they are dirtttttyyy.

ciD_Vain

I finally got this game! I was so eager to play it since I got so busy with work and life in general around the time the PS3 game came out that I never got to play it. I was ecstatic when they announced the remastered version.

I barely got the bow and arrow and I'm really enjoying it so far and the graphics are amazing but I have a couple issues with it. Firstly, the enemy AI is really strange...they often don't see me when I'm literally three feet away from them and I feel like they never seem to see Tess or Ellie at all, I could be wrong on that one but it just feels that way. Secondly, I feel like the controls or physics with Joel are a bit off, like maybe somewhat too tank-like. I kind of wished he was just slightly more agile.
i loooooved Resident Evil 6 controls and secretly wish that movement was more like that
Other than that though, this game is phoenomenal! I'm not even sure how long I have left but I feel like I've done a lot already!

nib95

Banned
Setting the rgb to limited has done wonders for the image. Dark areas look like they should now. Thanks again whoever pointed that out.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I think since the new PS4 software update I've been getting black crush issues. Destiny BETA was way too dark, Far darker than the Alpha, and LoU R seems darker than I remember it being on the PS3 as well.

Setting RGB to Limited just kills black depth, but leaving it to Full crushes blacks. I've adjusted to the latter now, but I still feel there's not enough shadow range and detail.

With both Destiny and LoUR my brightness settings aren't perfect by default, and this rarely happens as my VT65 plasma and Kuro are both professionally ISF calibrated. Don't get me wrong, the game still looks stunning, but the gamma does seem off.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I think since the new PS4 software update I've been getting black crush issues. Destiny BETA was way too dark, Far darker than the Alpha, and LoU R seems darker than I remember it being on the PS3 as well.

Setting RGB to Limited just kills black depth, but leaving it to Full crushes blacks. I've adjusted to the latter now, but I still feel there's not enough shadow range and detail.

With both Destiny and LoUR my brightness settings aren't perfect by default, and this rarely happens as my VT65 plasma and Kuro are both professionally ISF calibrated.
Had the issue with Destiny too but I was able to compensate for it there using in game options. The brightness adjust in TLoUR seems to do nothing for me.

BTW I'm still jealous as fuck of your TVs

nib95

Banned
Had the issue with Destiny too but I was able to compensate for it there using in game options. The brightness adjust in TLoUR seems to do nothing for me.

BTW I'm still jealous as fuck of your TVs

:p

But yea, can't be coincidence that a similar issue is there witn both games. My guess is it could be a problem with the new console software update. It did after all add some new picture options (colour depth, which doesn't seem to do anything either way).

Hope it gets fixed.

Hubb

I can't get used to aiming with the touch screen !

R3/L3 are mapped on the front bottom corners. R2 and L2 on the back touchpad and R1/L1 on the top two shoulder buttons (R/L). This means you have to shoot and aim with the back touchpad which is not the best solution, but you can always change the control scheme.

That is what I've found (haven't tried remote play myself). Sounds not so easy.

bender

What time is it?
Zooming in with scoped riffle makes my TV think its getting a 4:3 signal. Same thing happened with the PS3 version. Any idea what is causing that. I have an older Kuro.

x-Lundz-x

Collectables question, maybe spoilers.

the part when you are at the university campus with the statue and the monkeys, one of the conversations is to talk to Ellie when you see a firefly symbol on the wall. I did not get credit for this conversation no matter how many times I restarted the checkpoint, anyone else?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is Winter considered the best section of the game? It's so damn thrilling! It has a Misery feel to it.
It's a fantastic segment that I always dread playing because it's so desperate and so cold I always get depressed for a while after word. It's masterfully crafted.

Is Winter considered the best section of the game? It's so damn thrilling! It has a Misery feel to it.
Yep that chapter is craaaaaazzzzyyy.

I was like this
1199838.gif

On that moment of winter when Ellie
was doing "that" to Dave

With both Destiny and LoUR my brightness settings aren't perfect by default, and this rarely happens as my VT65 plasma and Kuro are both professionally ISF calibrated. Don't get me wrong, the game still looks stunning, but the gamma does seem off.

If you are using hdmi cable from the tv to the playstation set it to rgb limited on both your tv an console. Panasonic plasmas don't support rgb full through hdmi only through dvi to hdmi or vga to vga.

This game is unplayable on remote play. The analog sticks are terrible for aiming in general and when combined with the heavy sway aiming isn't even a viable option. Guess I'll wait until I get home to play this more.

Yup, same here. I have my Samsung set to PC mode, calibrated, and PS4 set to full since PC mode defaults to PC monitor levels. You can easily check your black levels by opening the PS4 browser and going here: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php
Upon checking, my black levels are fine.

I never had a black crush issue on the PS4 until recently, so I'm not sure what's going on. I immediately noticed it during the Destiny beta. I did notice that selecting "automatic" instead of "full" or "limited" defaults to "limited," which washes out the colors, most noticeably the blacks. It shouldn't be defaulting to "limited" when my TV is set to accept full range.

I fucking hated most of winter. The beginning part is cool but the blizzard I can't see shit and its slow going. Just awful.

Also, I'm getting really fucking sick of Joel getting stuck on objects I'm not that close to. Feels like I need to control him like Resident Evil 1.

2010 Panasonic plasma here. I ran into the same crushed grey blacks on the PS3 version, and am seeing no difference on the PS4. I'm surprised so many people who played the original are having a different experience with the remaster.

No combination of RGB settings on the TV or console correct the issue. The TV is correctly calibrated, and in-game brightness settings have no effect. This is the the only game or piece of media I have ever experienced this with.

nib95

Banned
If you are using hdmi cable from the tv to the playstation set it to rgb limited on both your tv an console. Panasonic plasmas don't support rgb full through hdmi only through dvi to hdmi or vga to vga.

The VT65 supports Full RGB over HDMI. I actually tried changing it to Full RGB in the TV HDMI settings and forcing it in the console settings too, and it sort of worked except now certain levels (like the demo level) look exceptionally washed out, whilst other levels (like the entire start of the game) look decent enough, perhaps still slightly on the bright side. Gamma does not appear to be consistent throughout the game.

The VT65 supports Full RGB over HDMI. I actually tried changing it to Full RGB in the TV HDMI settings and forcing it in the console settings too, and it sort of worked except now certain levels (like the demo level) look exceptionally washed out, whilst other levels (like the entire start of the game) look decent enough, perhaps still slightly on the bright side. Gamma does not appear to be consistent throughout the game.

No, its not. I'm playing it the second time now and the city during the rainstorm is just awful. Its hard to play through.

I have a gt50 and that level also looks washed out to me in rgb limited. I think it's a video issue within the game itself.

In regards to rgb full, i know at least the 2012 models don't support it via hdmi:
Panasonic TVs probably remap 0-255 anyway, because their LCDs also clip 0-255 except for DVI-HDMI, although I never tried it. The difference is so miniscule I wouldn't even bother with that. Just set up your chain with 16-235 by default, and you'll get just fine with video and gaming without losing/distorting gradations.

You can test it by going to the lagom test website and bring up the black level pattern and white saturation pattern.

I thought the issue was coming from the ps4 itself since limited rgb shows all the gradation steps, but it turns out that my tv doesn't support full rgb via hdmi, and since the ps4 doesn't have a dvi input i am SOL. You should test it on your plasma though, it might not have the issue.

Andrew.

Banned
The conversation trophy is fucking fucked. On the end of my hard plus run now and (Spring Spoiler)
Ellie won't stop by the airplane advert on the bus
. Tried various methods. Ain't happening.

Fix this shit. That's a great convo tidbit we 're missing out on.

nib95

Banned
No, its not. I'm playing it the second time now and the city during the rainstorm is just awful. Its hard to play through.
What do you mean it's not? What's not?

On a side note, my current fix for the time being is this.

For the overly dark gamma areas of the game.
VT65 HDMI mode set to RGB Full, with Gamma set to 2.6. PS4 also set to RGB Full.
This gets rid of black crush but retains some of that shadow depth and punch.

For the overly light gamma areas of the game.
VT65 HDMI mode set to RGB Normal, with Gamma set to 2.4. PS4 set to RGB Full.
This darkens up the overly washed out segments of the game, but doesn't crush blacks.

todd360

I beat grounded.
Does grounded remove the huge infected battle in the tunnel right before the hospital end game? I could have sworn there were bloaters in that area. I only had to fight 3-4 runners.

Top Bottom