• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

ObbyDent

Banned
Ending spoilers:
I just knew they were going to kill her. I just didn't anticipate that Joel would kill everyone including the doctors to get Ellie back alive. I reluctantly played that section and was gutted when he killed Marlene. I didn't realize that I was playing as a selfish, psychopathic old man until the final 30 mins. He doomed humanity so that he could live out his years with someone that could replace his daughter. It's not that I don't understand why he couldn't let her go, I just angry that he didn't for the sake of humanity. Ellie definitely wanted her death to mean something and Joel stole it from her.

There are more like Ellie that are immune. Not only do they reveal that in the last level if you actually looked, but in reality, there is never just one single immune person.

Seriously.
I don't get how that turned people off. The ENTIRE journey led up to that decision. The whole point of the story was finding things and people to live for in a hopeless situation

I think it's because in video games,
we are so brow beat with hero saves the day. Hollywood & America are so stuck on happy endings that when faced with something different many don't know how to respond. I'm glad the game went there and I hope more games have unpopular, ambiguous endings. It sure makes the story memorable. Besides Ellie is what? 14? U don't let children make adult decisions

Playing on normal and finding the human enemies quite dumb. Several times I walked in their view and nothing, they continue searching. I played the ps3 version on hard btw. Should I do the same and what does everyone else think about the A.I?

stephen08

It doesn't really matter if
there are more that are immune or not. Either way someone has to be sacrificed for the greater good. That's a decision that only the person themselves can make. I get the impression Ellie was willing to make that sacrifice and for Joel to take that away is to rob her of control over her own life.

Cloudy

Banned
Playing on normal and finding the human enemies quite dumb. Several times I walked in their view and nothing, they continue searching. I played the ps3 version on hard btw. Should I do the same and what does everyone else think about the A.I?

Why would you go easier instead of harder on a second play-through?

Cloudy

Banned
there are more that are immune or not. Either way someone has to be sacrificed for the greater good. That's a decision that only the person themselves can make. I get the impression Ellie was willing to make that sacrifice and for Joel to take that away is to rob her of control over her own life.

Would you let YOUR minor child sacrifice his/herself for a CHANCE to save others? Unless you would, I don't see how you can question Joel

Would you let YOUR minor child sacrifice his/herself for a CHANCE to save others? Unless you would, I don't see how you can question Joel

This.
Not only is it just a CHANCE to save other, but seeing what others are willing to do for survival made at least me wonder if humanity was worth saving. Quality before quantity all the way for me and I loved Joel's decision because it was my decision as well.

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions on fixing the gamma/brightness problems. I changed a few settings in my PS4 display output menu and the game looks PHENOMENAL now. I can't believe I didn't do this sooner. If someone wants to try it, here's what mine looks like with a 50" Sony Bravia LED (you might need different ones depending on what type of display you're using)

ibzJml52aBnfyY.jpg

Gekidami

Banned
Ending spoilers:
I didn't realize that I was playing as a selfish, psychopathic old man until the final 30 mins.
Really? Him coldly killing anyone in his way throughout the game wasnt a hint?
He snaps Roberts arm without a second thought and doesnt even react when Tess shoots him.
He was going to gun down Henry because he left him despite Henry having no other choice, Joel didnt care.
To learn where Ellie is he beats a guy to death then naps another's neck when he gets the info.
All throughout the game its said/hinted that Joel did some terrible things in his past both by Tess, Tommy & Joel himself. He points out that he used to be a 'hunter' like the ones in Pittsburgh, ambushing anyone who came by. Joel has no regrets and just says that they're "Survivors".

It seemed pretty clear that Joel isnt a very nice person. "Shitty people, been that way for a long time".

ocean

Banned
So apparently drunk me bought this game last night. Shame my PS4 was off and not hibernating, I'm now waiting for it to download.

milkham

Ending spoilers:
I just knew they were going to kill her. I just didn't anticipate that Joel would kill everyone including the doctors to get Ellie back alive. I reluctantly played that section and was gutted when he killed Marlene. I didn't realize that I was playing as a selfish, psychopathic old man until the final 30 mins. He doomed humanity so that he could live out his years with someone that could replace his daughter. It's not that I don't understand why he couldn't let her go, I just angry that he didn't for the sake of humanity. Ellie definitely wanted her death to mean something and Joel stole it from her.

look at it this way
the fireflies are a bunch of broke ass rebels being hunted by the military. assuming they have the actual means to create a vaccine from ellie's brain, which is not guaranteed, what happens then? how do they distribute it? do they just give it to anyone they see altruistically or do they use it to further their goals versus the military? will people get the vaccine or will a whole lot more people just die? Joel's motivation is selfish, but its not as binary as "save humanity" or "don't save humanity"

Lucent

Man, they really botched the 30fps option. lol. I am pretty sure I'd remember it running like that in the original version. It did not run like that. And the 60fps isn't as jarring as I thought it'd be. But overall the game is much clearer. Don't really notice any jaggies except for some shadows. Character models are crazy detailed.

Seeing the way this looks, I can't wait for Uncharted 4 being built from the ground up for the system.

Also, I wanted to note that I have the physical version and I have not seen any pop up for foilage at all like someone pointed out in a video. Draw distance is really nice.

funkypie

Banned
I played the game on Normal last time and did ok, lots of parts to salvage. I'm doing ok on Hard but man it is fucking tense, I've also died a lot more and parts are kinda rare.

I have two holsters and I'm working on upgrading my bow and revolver xD loving playing this game again.

The only times I'm dying on surviver is when I've purposely killed myself to restart the encounter for messing up the stealth.

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions on fixing the gamma/brightness problems. I changed a few settings in my PS4 display output menu and the game looks PHENOMENAL now. I can't believe I didn't do this sooner. If someone wants to try it, here's what mine looks like with a 50" Sony Bravia LED (you might need different ones depending on what type of display you're using)

ibzJml52aBnfyY.jpg

So what did u change?

Just went through Ellie's backpack and browsed her Artifacts.... I didn't do this my first time around on the PS3 version.

Fuck man... Her commentary... :(
When seeing Riley's Firefly Pendant

"I miss you."

When seeing Sam's Robot Toy

"That was so stupid... I should have said something different to you."
(Wonder what she's referring too her... I'm guessing the "I don't believe in Heaven, infected people are no longer here")

When seeing her Mother's note to her

"I'm trying to make you proud."

When seeing the picture of Joel and Sarah

"I should have given this to you when I had the chance"

Ellie ;~;

Cubed

Starting with the Dam chapter I've started seeing more pop-in of objects. Pretty bad and noticeable.

Up to that point it's been fine. I have the physical copy.

I will say you can see other signs of the difficulty they had porting this. It may "run" and "look" better, but it's not as polished as the PS3 version. I see flickering textures, messed up lighting coming into interior dark areas from texture seams, and the pop-in issue already mentioned.

Patch that stuff and this game is flawless.

Starting with the Dam chapter I've started seeing more pop-in of objects. Pretty bad and noticeable.

Up to that point it's been fine. I have the physical copy.

I will say you can see other signs of the difficulty they had porting this. It may "run" and "look" better, but it's not as polished as the PS3 version. I see flickering textures, messed up lighting coming into interior dark areas from texture seams, and the pop-in issue already mentioned.

Patch that stuff and this game is flawless.
nah, just remake the game for the ps4. start from the ground up.

Lingitiz

I feel like I'm enjoying the gameplay a lot more than I did on the PS3 version. I loved the PS3 version but the combat started to fall flat for me towards the end. Although this time I'm playing on hard with listen mode off so it probably helps a lot. I genuinely feel like I'm having to make tough decisions about what weapons to use, and I constantly seem empty on all guns. It makes things way more tense.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Man, they really botched the 30fps option. lol. I am pretty sure I'd remember it running like that in the original version. It did not run like that.[/B]

Without doubt it's screwed up. I've seen it played on my brothers ps3 (never played myself) and it looked much smoother.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you are using hdmi cable from the tv to the playstation set it to rgb limited on both your tv an console. Panasonic plasmas don't support rgb full through hdmi only through dvi to hdmi or vga to vga.

You'd think that my 2013 PS4 would work properly with my 2013 Bravia via HDMI. I realise HDMI can b a crapshoot sometimes, but sony's own definitions of full etc would be consistent across devices :(

knitoe

Finished this game on Hard then Survivor on the PS3. Never thought the game was hard probably due to the fact the ammo was still plenty and I had max out skills / weapon upgrade. Now, playing NG Grounded is pretty intense. Just got to university research building. Most of my kills are from melee, throw brick / bottle + grab finisher, and for them clickers, throw brick / bottle + 1 hit melee weapon swing. And, still, I am scrapping for ammo. Shiv only for opening doors, but I still don't have enough. So, yeah, if you don't want a world of hurt, play Grounded on NG+.

Her choice didn't matter as I'm sure they would have gone forward with the operation regardless of her consent. Marlene made that fairly clear when discussing the situation with Joel. Ellie only had the illusion of choice going either way.

milkham

Her choice didn't matter as I'm sure they would have gone forward with the operation regardless of her consent. Marlene made that fairly clear when discussing the situation with Joel. Ellie only had the illusion of choice going either way.

not even the illusion of choice, she never woke up. Between the time of Joel getting knocked out and waking up, they decided the ONLY way was to cut her open and kill her in... how many hours could that have been? blood thirsty scientists

Just went through Ellie's backpack and browsed her Artifacts.... I didn't do this my first time around on the PS3 version.

Fuck man... Her commentary... :(
When seeing Riley's Firefly Pendant

"I miss you."

When seeing Sam's Robot Toy

"That was so stupid... I should have said something different to you."
(Wonder what she's referring too her... I'm guessing the "I don't believe in Heaven, infected people are no longer here")

When seeing her Mother's note to her

"I'm trying to make you proud."

When seeing the picture of Joel and Sarah

"I should have given this to you when I had the chance"

Ellie ;~;

Fuuuuuuuuuuuu

How do you do this? i'm pretty sure there wasn't an option to open it :/

culafia

Just re-beat it. Some spoiler-filled thoughts:

I don't think Ellie is a compelling-enough character to warrant her own sequel. I also think the same for Joel. I love them as a protagonist duo, but I think separating them would result in a significantly worse experience. We should let this story lie.

Very conflicted on the ending. When viewed as "Joel will go to the point of irrationality to protect his child and Ellie, despite conflict, understands that," it's a nice, consistent ending. When viewed as "gurl don't need no man," I think it's a stupid, undeserved ploy to make her seem independent in a way that undermines her and Joel's actual relationship as it actually went down.

Story is among the best in games, period. Gameplay is great, but I sometimes dislike the environments we experience that gameplay in. Everything is great outdoors, but most of the time inside environments look extremely similar or are annoying sewer shit. Like, that sequence with the two brothers inside the sewers was really damn bad and not fun at all, and there are others just like it. I like playing the game, but the combat sequences are by far its achilles heel.

Ish is the protagonist TLOU2 deserves.

camac002

Yea it looked quite weird when I turned the 30fps mode on.
Kinda looked like it was choppy, but might just be my eyes adjusting to it.

Plugged in PS3 and PS4 into same TV, switched channels on the fly and it's the same smoothness as the PS3 version. There are some full screen motion blur differences as the camera pans but mostly it's the sudden drop from 60 to 30 and your brain having to adjust.

Even though I've always preferred 60 (and higher on PC), I don't think this is necessarily damning for 30 fps games as some claim simply because you normally are never going to switch frame rates instantly like this. I went and played Uncharted 2 later and it felt fine.

I think any future 30 fps games going forward should include that CG full screen and object motion blur seen in games like God of War 3, Ryse and The Order. That 40-45 fps feel.

GrazGamer

Was going to wait for a few more exclusives before buying a PS4, as a PC gamer, but succumbed yesterday even though I had played the PS3 version.

Playing this, it's actually just like playing PC versions of last gen games and that's no bad thing.

I justified it as I had never played the DLC lol.

Ending spoilers:

I thought it was the only ending that made sense.
After Sarahs death Joel was a broken man. He lost his faith in humanity when Sarah got shot by soldier, not killed by infected but killed by a human.
Thats the reason why Joel and Tommy didn't talk to each other. Tommy had hope, he wanted to do something. Joel didn't care. He just survived and did whats necessary in order to survive. He didn't care about humanity. Thatswhy Tommy joined the Fireflys and Joel didn't.
The game hinted at what Joel did all the time. In the very first section after the opening where you walk through the quarantine zone, stick around and talk to the people. Some of them are even scared of Joel.
Tess: "We're shitty people, Joel. Its been that why for a long time."
Joel: "We are survivors, Tess!"
Tess: "This is our chance!"
Joel was able to justify his actions to himself.

When Ellie asked him how he knew about the ambush by the hunters:
Ellie: "How did you know?"
Joel: "I've been on both sides."
Ellie: "So... you've killed a lot of innocent people."
Joel: "*gruml*"
Ellie: "I take that as a yes."
Joel: "Take is however you want."

Yeah an many more such hints.

So, when Joel met Ellie he was very reluctant. Shew reminded him of Sarah and he didn't want to care about other people because that would imply that he could lose them and he couldn't take that anymore.
When Marlene tells them that they have to smuggle a girl Joel doesn't want to take the job. Tess goes over to him and says "I get it." She knows why he is reluctant.
Afterwards there are many more scenes where you see him giving in to the fact that he bonded with Ellie. For example after the "Can't deny that view"-scene, when he looks at his broken watch. The watch he got from Sarah.

At the end Ellie is everything Joels got. He lost his faith in humanity when a soldier shot Sarah. He was a broken man for 20 years and he knew that he couldn't take that another time. Especially not for humanities sake.
So he kills everyone who wants to harm Ellie.
I think nothing else would've made sense for the character.

omonimo

Banned
Both the "range" options were set to auto, I changed them to limited. And changed deep colour from off to auto.

So every time I need to this to fix it? Because the others games with limited are terrible on ps4. To be honest even with auto. I use full range colours on my ps4, because a lot of games are terribly bright with auto. Anyway, I need to say this remasterd feel too much rushed. I have encountered tons of graphic glitch, poly geometry which disappear & appear more than a time, low res light effects which cause terrible jaggies in the graphic geometry edges. Don't let me wrong, I have tried to replay the ps3 version yesterday & ps4 still it's definitely an enjoy to play, fps on ps3 sucks, but this port it's rushed.

Quick question. If I play grounded mode will I get all the trophies for the lesser difficulty modes ala hard, survivor?

In playing through on normal and will probs finish and skip to grounded and try complete it on grounded twice

Ted

Well the gold trophy just popped for getting all collectibles and I know I am missing a couple artifacts.

Collectables question, maybe spoilers.

the part when you are at the university campus with the statue and the monkeys, one of the conversations is to talk to Ellie when you see a firefly symbol on the wall. I did not get credit for this conversation no matter how many times I restarted the checkpoint, anyone else?

The conversation trophy is fucking fucked. On the end of my hard plus run now and (Spring Spoiler)
Ellie won't stop by the airplane advert on the bus
. Tried various methods. Ain't happening.

Fix this shit. That's a great convo tidbit we 're missing out on.

The collectibles/conversations and trophy weirdness was there in the PS3 version and has never been patched. I don't really care too much about trophies/achievements but this pisses me off no end everytime I see it:

pGRb99O.jpg

I have been through and viewed/listened to ALL of them several times, both by using square to read AND X to zoom and it just won't pop!

Eventually I just said fuck it, I'm not spoiling the flow of my Survivor run just to get this bullshit trophy to appear.

If they do patch the PS4 I hope they do the same for the original but I'm not holding my breath.

omonimo

Banned
Quick question. If I playboy grounded mode will I get all the trophies for the lesser difficulty modes ala hard, survivor?

In playing through on normal and will probs finish and skip to grounded and try complete it on grounded twice

I tried to play the grounded but when
Joel fall in a Bill trap
I found this part almost impossible. Then I come back to the lower difficult. It's really frustrating.

Ted

I tried to play the grounded but when
Joel fall in a Bill trap
I found this part almost impossible. Then I come back to the lower difficult. It's really frustrating.

I've only played on Normal and Survivor but do you not get unlimited ammo at this section in Grounded?

If you do, it's just learning to prioritise targets and making sure you re-load at appropriate times (and of course reasonable aim). The infected come from the same directions each time in the early part of this encounter so if you vaguely know the pattern it helps a lot.

Don't give up! Endure and survive. :)

To people saying 30fps is choppy, this is how it looks (feels) like when you change directly from 60fps. Try changing to a TV channel or movie instead and you'll see same choppiness, which will go away after a while.

omonimo

Banned
I've only played on Normal and Survivor but do you not get unlimited ammo at this section in Grounded?

If you do, it's just learning to prioritise targets and making sure you re-load at appropriate times (and of course reasonable aim). The infected come from the same directions each time in the early part of this encounter so if you vaguely know the pattern it helps a lot.

Don't give up! Endure and survive. :)

Try it in Grounded to understand what I mean. I played the other parts without any great problem, but this ... you need to do an headshot for every single infected because if you hit them in the other parts of the body, you are dead. I'm not that good to hit target in the head when they are in motions. At least, not in that "position".

The collectibles/conversations and trophy weirdness was there in the PS3 version and has never been patched. I don't really care too much about trophies/achievements but this pisses me off no end everytime I see it:

pGRb99O.jpg

I have been through and viewed/listened to ALL of them several times, both by using square to read AND X to zoom and it just won't pop!

Eventually I just said fuck it, I'm not spoiling the flow of my Survivor run just to get this bullshit trophy to appear.

If they do patch the PS4 I hope they do the same for the original but I'm not holding my breath.

Spoiler for 70% through the game:
In winter, did you go through Ellie's backpack and look at each artifact?

Top Bottom