• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Ferr986

On the topic of AI though, I forgot how jarring it is when Ellie walks in plain view of a clicker without being noticed and how annoying it is when she is constantly standing in the way but just won't move.

but It would be unfair if Ellie was able to get caught and get you on problems seeing as how you have 0 control on what she may do.

hohoXD123

but It would be unfair if Ellie was able to get caught and get you on problems seeing as how you have 0 control on what she may do.

Well yeah, I can see the reasoning behind it, but it doesn't make it any less jarring. Better AI for Ellie would have been nice but I can understand how it must be difficult to get it right for stealth sequences.

woen

Is it? See my post at the top of the page.
Joel lies because he doesn't really know what she would have wanted, but as the audience, with more information, we can think that maybe she wouldn't have wanted to.

Well it's how I see it, maybe I'm wrong and your explanation makes sense too.

TRios Zen

First time play-through here and I'm glad I waited. Impressions:

Pros:

1. great atmosphere/tension
2. fantastic character development
3. gun-play is solid, controls are mostly flawless.

Con:
1. why the #$%@ does the shotgun toting guy I just killed shotgun disappear when he's dead?

Seriously, this is a great game and while I maybe don't love it as much as some, I can see why many people DO love it. I just wish they found a better way of limiting ammo then they have.

I just got to the science building so I'm not done yet, and I'm already contemplating my next play through so I'm not hating on the game at all. It's just a little frustrating when it seems like they are artificially limiting my ammo (even if I understand why they are).

LegendX48

First time play-through here and I'm glad I waited. Impressions:

Pros:

1. great atmosphere/tension
2. fantastic character development
3. gun-play is solid, controls are mostly flawless.

Con:
1. why the #$%@ does the shotgun toting guy I just killed shotgun disappear when he's dead?

Seriously, this is a great game and while I maybe don't love it as much as some, I can see why many people DO love it. I just wish they found a better way of limiting ammo then they have.

I just got to the science building so I'm not done yet, and I'm already contemplating my next play through so I'm not hating on the game at all. It's just a little frustrating when it seems like they are artificially limiting my ammo (even if I understand why they are).
that happens to all enemy weapons. They literally despawn as they die.

Curufinwe

Final score: 7.5 or 8 out of 10 (for reference I would give Uncharted 2 a 9).

What would you give Uncharted 3?

I am only five hours in to TLoU and I have having so much more fun playing on Normal than I did playing U3 on Normal. 60 fps helps, but the lack of absurdly annoying combat encounters is the main thing. Hopefully the enemies later on in TLoU don't get equipped with deadly accurate sniper rifles and rocket launchers.

TRios Zen

that happens to all enemy weapons. They literally despawn as they die.

OH yeah, I used a shotgun as an example, but you are of course correct, it is all weapons.

In an otherwise fantastic game, that is dumb.

Limit the amount I can carry on me. Make me "craft" a bandoleer. Hell, leave a single bullet in any found gun, anything except the magical, despawn.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
What would you give Uncharted 3?

I am only five hours in to TLoU and I have having so much more fun playing on Normal than I did playing U3 on Normal. 60 fps helps, but the lack of absurdly annoying combat encounters is the main thing. Hopefully the enemies later on in TLoU don't get equipped with deadly accurate sniper rifles and rocket launchers.

Nah, you don't have to worry about that. I loved UC2, despised 3, but think TLoU is the best game ND has ever made.

see5harp

Started a playthrough on Survivor diffculty and I really do like the 60 fps. Midway through the prologue though, when you are running through the alley, there's a guy that jumps up and grabs you. I can't remember how it went on PS3, but I get no button prompts for a QTE and the dude ends up biting my back. I've replayed like 6 times to no avail. I can't figure out whether it's just bugged in my game or whether there's really no QTE here. I've also tried turning off and reloading the save point.

Andrew.

Banned
Started a playthrough on Survivor diffculty and I really do like the 60 fps. Midway through the prologue though, when you are running through the alley, there's a guy that jumps up and grabs you. I can't remember how it went on PS3, but I get no button prompts for a QTE and the dude ends up biting my back. I've replayed like 6 times to no avail. I can't figure out whether it's just bugged in my game or whether there's really no QTE here. I've also tried turning off and reloading the save point.

I think the prompts get shut off for Survivor but Im not positive. You really dont need them anyway once you know what you're doing.

Hmm, isn't that the part where
Tommy is supposed to shoot him
? Other than that it's just running all the way through from what I can remember... maybe it is a bug.

antitrop

OH yeah, I used a shotgun as an example, but you are of course correct, it is all weapons.

Limit the amount I can carry on me. Make me "craft" a bandoleer. Hell, leave a single bullet in any found gun, anything except the magical, despawn.

For what it's worth, I absolutely agree with you. It's just one of those little things that takes away from the immersiveness of the rest of the game.

It's a bug, you're supposed to be saved. Happened to me once then on the second time I was saved almost instantly.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

On survivor you don't get the prompts. Anytime you're grabbed just start spamming square immediately and you're good unless it's by a clicker or your health is low.

I enjoyed reading some of the sequel ideas posted. But how will Naughty Dog possibly follow up this game since it was SO good? Hopefully a whole new location, characters, and story. Having a sequel live up to the original will be a tall order, that's for sure.

Question: Can I play and complete Hard+ and then use the glitch to go to Survivor+? I'd rather get the trophy for fully upgrading Joel/weapons on Hard+ rather than having to start all over on Survivor.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Agreed; though there are some very interesting narrative choices in the final two seasons. As to the final question:
Would Ellie have wanted to sacrifice herself if she knew it meant her death? I wanted to wait until I finished Left Behind until I asked tho. I think she would not as relationships seemed to mean more to Ellie than saving the world; though, I can see the other way around, as she did go to an awful lot of trouble to find the fireflies.
Your thoughts?

I feel like she
would have sacrificed herself if given the choice. I think her questioning Joel at the end of the game points to that. I kind of feel like she accepted/prepared for her "death" when she was bitten and was surprised/disappointed(?) when it didn't happen and that she knows she's been living on borrowed time since. Also during Left Behind and the main game it is mentioned a few times how it is rare for anyone to survive to old age in this new world because the infected or other survivors will get to you eventually. So basically everyone knows they will meet a grizzly end. I think, under those circumstances, it would almost be a blessing to meet your end on your own terms especially in knowing that you might be able to save humanity.

I can't help but boast more about how great this game is.

The craziest part about playing a game this good is it really hammers home the idea that I, and I know I'm beating a dead horse here, have had my standards slowly but surely lowered greatly over time. I couldn't help but remember Bill Hicks' bit on how mediocre musicians are demons and were sent here to lower the standards. This trend has most certainly carried over in to the gaming world. I really don't want to think about games I've spent time finishing that were, simply put, garbage compared to TLOU.

Thankfully, I can keep the thought of TLOU in my head every time I hover my mouse over the 'submit order' button when purchasing from now on.

Thank you, TLOU. Thank you very much.

Honest answer probably has to do with PS3 memory allocation.

I agree though. They could have:

1) had a small number of bullets in left over guns
2) had some of them be "broken", like cheapy make-shift guns that break after a few shots.
3) Have a variety of weapons so you have to choose between the guns with various ammo types (single shotgun with 3 shots, double shotgun with 4 shots left, choose one but not both)

daveo42

Banned
Except melee weapons.

I do like that. Really wish there was an option to carry a 2nd one around. Even if I had to root around in my bag for it, I'd def welcome it.

As for ranged weapons, I guess it makes more sense for them to drop nothing as opposed to an empty weapon you can't pick up or interact with from a gameplay perspective, but not really from a narrative one.

sjay1994

Sigh, I think my game is bugged.

I constantly see rooms loading up in my game, more so than the PS3 version, and collectibles don't register even when I clearly picked them up.

The ones you look at in ellies backpack are the ones that are really messing me up

Put in a couple of hours in on my first play through yesterday. Loving it so far. Characters are relatable and believeable. Loved the atmosphere and setting. Game looks great even if it's a last gen game. Looking forward to get more time with this game.

Well it's how I see it, maybe I'm wrong and your explanation makes sense too.

I feel like she would have sacrificed herself if given the choice. I think her questioning Joel at the end of the game points to that. I kind of feel like she accepted/prepared for her "death" when she was bitten and was surprised/disappointed(?) when it didn't happen and that she knows she's been living on borrowed time since. Also during Left Behind and the main game it is mentioned a few times how it is rare for anyone to survive to old age in this new world because the infected or other survivors will get to you eventually. So basically everyone knows they will meet a grizzly end. I think, under those circumstances, it would almost be a blessing to meet your end on your own terms especially in knowing that you might be able to save humanity.

Yup, I can see it that way, as well. The ambiguity really works well here.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Maybe I never noticed it, but there's a shit ton more pop-in on the PS4 version for me.
It's considerably reduced from the PS3 version. There was an area in Lincoln wherr you could continually make walls and clickers spawn and despawn while while back and forth over an invisible line. That issue is completely gone on PS4. Pop in tends to occur at the same places as on PS3 but to a lesser extent and faster.

Nicodemus

Neo Member
First time player here.

Wow.

This game has happily entered my top 5. What a fantastic experience. The gameplay, the writing, the characters, the atmosphere, the story: I loved every bit of it. Even the music is perfect! A lot of love went into this game, and it shows. I love the mix of quiet, even serene moments of exploration interspersed with frantic, desperate fights for survival. It strikes a wonderful balance of action and calm, a balance that few games pull off so well.

Already started my next playthrough on hard. And after that, onward to survivor and beyond!

Damn, what an amazing game.

psychotron

It's considerably reduced from the PS3 version. There was an area in Lincoln wherr you could continually make walls and clickers spawn and despawn while while back and forth over an invisible line. That issue is completely gone on PS4. Pop in tends to occur at the same places as on PS3 but to a lesser extent and faster.

I must have just not noticed. The vegetation building just a few feet in front of me is pretty jarring sometimes.

StuBurns

Banned
I always felt like 'Okay' was her accepting whatever sins Joel had to commit to save her. Druckmann says otherwise though, so there's that.

It's funny that she never mentions Marlene when talking about everyone she's cared about having left or died, she's known Marlene longer than anyone.

It always felt like the lie was so transparent that she obviously knew it was bullshit, it's just what she chose to take away from directly confronting him about it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I must have just not noticed. The vegetation building just a few feet in front of me is pretty jarring sometimes.

I noticed it really bad on that early spot with Marlene where the people are executed on the bridge, grass popping up plainly in your line of sight but other areas with much longer views handle it fine. It's pretty weird.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I always felt like 'Okay' was her accepting whatever sins Joel had to commit to save her. Druckmann says otherwise though, so there's that.

It's funny that she never mentions Marlene when talking about everyone she's cared about having left or died, she's known Marlene longer than anyone.

It always felt like the lie was so transparent that she obviously knew it was bullshit, it's just what she chose to take away from directly confronting him about it.
I'm sure she knows he's lying but I doubt she realizes the full extent of it. She probably assumes it's just a white lie to preserve her feelings instead of covering up a massacre

Is this game unusually dark for everyone else? My Plasma is calibrated and it looks great for blu ray and other games. For this, I have crushed blacks during the nighttime sections

TRios Zen

Honest answer probably has to do with PS3 memory allocation.

I agree though. They could have:

1) had a small number of bullets in left over guns
2) had some of them be "broken", like cheapy make-shift guns that break after a few shots.
3) Have a variety of weapons so you have to choose between the guns with various ammo types (single shotgun with 3 shots, double shotgun with 4 shots left, choose one but not both)

I think the game becomes MUCH less intense if you aren't always low on ammo. So while I think you may be right regarding technical reasons for despawn, I am not arguing to have virtually unlimited ammo. I know you weren't suggesting I was, just throwing it out there.

I just think that there are any number of ways (including examples you gave above) to handle it better. Therefore, game can't be greater than a 2/10.

HAHA. Just kidding, great game so far, minor complaint. Can't wait to finish it. To be honest up to where I am, I haven't found it to be too difficult on "hard", even with the limited ammo. Can't waste shots to be sure, but I haven't quite hit zero in all guns in any encounter yet.
Leaving the subway/underground battle was the hardest part as it took me a few times to get through that. Had limited shotgun ammo though and pistols weren't cutting it

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is this game unusually dark for everyone else? My Plasma is calibrated and it looks great for blu ray and other games. For this, I have crushed blacks during the nighttime sections
I figured it out last night. There's an issue with PS4 display settings. Go into video output and choose either Limited or Full RGB depending on what your set supports, most likely limited. Don't use auto for RGB. After that, choose Deep Color Auto. The RGB settings won't properly apply until you switch that option. Fixed crushed blacks for me.

Yea, this is what I've been trying to get at.

I just popped in Dark Souls for the PS3. I've recently played GTAV for the PS3. Infamous: SS had a 30 FPS cap option. None of those games looked like TLoU:R at the 30 FPS cap. I play on my PC with variable framerates all the time, some games like Arma III only get around 35 FPS, DmC was 60 FPS, Dark Souls II is 60 FPS.

I completely understand that TLoU:R is running at 30 FPS when capped, but I'm telling you, and it's not just me, there is something missing from it that is creating a level of "jank" that didn't exist in the PS3 version, which ran at sub 30 FPS for a lot of the time. People are saying it's the motion blur stutter not adjusting to 30 FPS, like above, and that seems to be the most logical conclusion without actually talking to someone from Naughty Dog.

I'm not shitting on the game, The Last of Us is the best game I've ever played. But the Remaster has some issues, which I don't even fault Naughty Dog for.

The ps3 version was just as janky. Don't believe me. Finish the ps4 version in 60fps and watch the ground documentary immediately (it's what I did) and you will see just how janky it was when they show footage from that version. It probably looks worse also because the ps4 version has considerably less motion blur which covered up some of the jankiness inthe ps3 version.

Raptor

I said the other day that point blank shotgun should always gib and send flying back and lo and behold this game has it like that, and Jesús fucking christ dem headshots gore.

Im in love with this game, I made a good decision......
sticking it in my ass.

Lol

daveo42

Banned
I said the other day that point blank shotgun should always gib and send flying back and lo and behold this game has it like that, and Jesús fucking christ dem headshots gore.

Im in love with this game, I made a good decision......
sticking it in my ass.

Lol

You should look at some of those shotgun blasts in Photo Mode. Absolutely disgusting in every way. Absolutely great.

After about 8 hours I think I'm coming to the end, or at least the last 15%. Amazing, wonderful, and beautiful are the only way I can describe it. It's been a joy to play it so far

No way you are anywhere near the end. Where exactly are you, which spoiler tags please.

I figured it out last night. There's an issue with PS4 display settings. Go into video output and choose either Limited or Full RGB depending on what your set supports, most likely limited. Don't use auto for RGB. After that, choose Deep Color Auto. The RGB settings won't properly apply until you switch that option. Fixed crushed blacks for me.
wow! Huge difference. I'm glad I didn't start monkeying around with my TV settings.

Thanks a lot!

Gurish

I can't help but boast more about how great this game is.

The craziest part about playing a game this good is it really hammers home the idea that I, and I know I'm beating a dead horse here, have had my standards slowly but surely lowered greatly over time. I couldn't help but remember Bill Hicks' bit on how mediocre musicians are demons and were sent here to lower the standards. This trend has most certainly carried over in to the gaming world. I really don't want to think about games I've spent time finishing that were, simply put, garbage compared to TLOU.

Thankfully, I can keep the thought of TLOU in my head every time I hover my mouse over the 'submit order' button when purchasing from now on.

Thank you, TLOU. Thank you very much.
If i start to compare every game to TLoU before I'm making an order I'll probably won't play anything for years to come :X

123rl

No way you are anywhere near the end. Where exactly are you, which spoiler tags please.

It's now Winter. Ellie has killed a deer and two men approached her, to trade for the deer. One of them goes to get medicine for - I assume - Joel. Then Ellie and the stranger get attacked by Clickers and Runners.

After dying a few times there I've given up for the night. If it needs saying again, I have loved playing it so far. It's an amazing game and experience

mcfrank

It's now Winter. Ellie has killed a deer and two men approached her, to trade for the deer. One of them goes to get medicine for - I assume - Joel. Then Ellie and the stranger get attacked by Clickers and Runners.

After dying a few times there I've given up for the night. If it needs saying again, I have loved playing it so far. It's an amazing game and experience

You are about 2/3rds through.

Top Bottom