• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Holy crap, just got to the
hotel basement. Found the keycard started the generator and ran like hell and got lucky on my first try

Wow that was creepy as hell

I knew exactly what was going to happen
as soon as I started the generator

3q0sd3.jpg

I wasn't lucky though.

It's so great to have a game with such good AF. 1080p and 60fps get all the attention, but AF gets no love. It's glorious not having textures turn into a blurry mess 5 feet in front of Joel. So damn crisp as far as the eye can see.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Yup, I can see it that way, as well. The ambiguity really works well here.

Its ambiguous in that we never get Ellie's actual opinion on the matter but the game hints heavily
that she would sacrifice herself.

I think that deep down, Joel knows (or assumes) that would be Ellie's decision as well and that's why he felt like he needed to lie to her in the first place. He lied to her for selfish reasons because he didn't want to lose another "daughter" (I think despite his statements to the contrary that is how he sees her).

For her part, Ellie isn't stupid. I think she knew Joel was lying to her right as the words were coming out of his mouth. The last thing she remembers is drowning before waking up in the back of the car. Joel even remarks how the sedation wore off. Why would the fireflies sedate her if they weren't planning on using her? Let alone the fact that she's wearing a hospital gown. Joel's story doesn't make any sense.

I think the lie will play a part in the sequel (lets face it, its inevitable). Its only a matter of time before Marlene's murder reaches back to Tommy's camp, with him being a former member and all. He still has friends/associates in those circles. I wouldn't be surprised if the government comes looking for her eventually either.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If anyone here is playing this game for the first time on the PS4 and are by chance curious what it looked like on the PS3 then just watch a video of the recorded footage from your playthrough. That's a pretty accurate representation.

if anyone is curious.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I figured it out last night. There's an issue with PS4 display settings. Go into video output and choose either Limited or Full RGB depending on what your set supports, most likely limited. Don't use auto for RGB. After that, choose Deep Color Auto. The RGB settings won't properly apply until you switch that option. Fixed crushed blacks for me.

A good test is the lower left corner of TLoU's title screen. You should be able to see some torn wallpaper there. If it's black your settings are wrong.

I enjoyed reading some of the sequel ideas posted. But how will Naughty Dog possibly follow up this game since it was SO good? Hopefully a whole new location, characters, and story. Having a sequel live up to the original will be a tall order, that's for sure.

Not only Naughty Dog, frankly I'm not sure any game will come close to something like this in a long while. Maybe till the end of this new console generation. I feel like practically everything about it, especially the pacing, was one of those once in a blue moon kind of things. Hope im wrong.

I wasn't lucky though.

I feel like we all expect it, but nothing can ever prepare you enough for it. lol

The attention to detail is amazing in this game I'm doing my Grounded play through and just got to the part where
Henry doesn't let Sam take the toy. I knew from earlier playthroughs that Ellie gives it to him later on so I watched to see what she did. She walked over to the toy but just stood over it and didn't do anything so I turned around for a second and then turned back quickly and I could see her just finish standing up from leaning over and the toy was gone.

I wasn't lucky though.

I kinda did, but I didn't know that
some were already spawned right behind me waiting for my most vulnerable moment
. I heard them it my headset and almost threw my controller. As a
non-horror gamer
the
basement
was hell.

It's funny that she never mentions Marlene when talking about everyone she's cared about having left or died, she's known Marlene longer than anyone.
I think at least in her mind she felt that Marlene had abandoned her when she made her go with Joel. She wanted to stay with Marlene, but all she had to offer her was "You'll be fine." So I can see why someone at 14 could feel abandoned by that.

It's now Winter. Ellie has killed a deer and two men approached her, to trade for the deer. One of them goes to get medicine for - I assume - Joel. Then Ellie and the stranger get attacked by Clickers and Runners.

After dying a few times there I've given up for the night. If it needs saying again, I have loved playing it so far. It's an amazing game and experience

Yeah you are about 2/3 through. Still some great moments to come!

mf.luder

Playing on Hard currently, just met up with Ellie. I really want to play through the campaign again before playing that DLC content. It's so tempting though!

e_i

I just can't past the part where
Joe, Elle, and the woman are in a building and Joel has to go BY HIMSELF and clear out the zombies leaving Elle and the woman behind. WTF? Do I have to take out the zombie stealth-like?

I like the little touches to this game, like with the characters grimacing when they pull up another character.

woen

Yup, I can see it that way, as well. The ambiguity really works well here.

Yep. Just like the ending conversation and the
okay from Ellie, you have a least 3 ways of understanding it (I guess it's the creative director who talks about it in the Behind the scenes video)

Playing on Hard currently, just met up with Ellie. I really want to play through the campaign again before playing that DLC content. It's so tempting though!

The dlc integrates well with the campaign if you play it directly after the
university
chapter. If you end up giving in, try to make it at least to that point beforehand.

Joe, Elle, and the woman are in a building and Joel has to go BY HIMSELF and clear out the zombies leaving Elle and the woman behind. WTF? Do I have to take out the zombie stealth-like?

I like the little touches to this game, like with the characters grimacing when they pull up another character.

Yes, you should use stealth for this part.

JB1981

Yes, stealth kill as much as possible everywhere. If you have enough patience you should be able to clear that area without firing a shot. Use firearms as a last resort. Strangle Infected and Runners. Take out Clickers with shivs or bricks. Remember to use bricks or bottles to stun or as a distraction or to lure in a certain direction.

Its ambiguous in that we never get Ellie's actual opinion on the matter but the game hints heavily that she would sacrifice herself.

I think that deep down, Joel knows (or assumes) that would be Ellie's decision as well and that's why he felt like he needed to lie to her in the first place. He lied to her for selfish reasons because he didn't want to lose another "daughter" (I think despite his statements to the contrary that is how he sees her).

For her part, Ellie isn't stupid. I think she knew Joel was lying to her right as the words were coming out of his mouth. The last thing she remembers is drowning before waking up in the back of the car. Joel even remarks how the sedation wore off. Why would the fireflies sedate her if they weren't planning on using her? Let alone the fact that she's wearing a hospital gown. Joel's story doesn't make any sense.

I think the lie will play a part in the sequel (lets face it, its inevitable). Its only a matter of time before Marlene's murder reaches back to Tommy's camp, with him being a former member and all. He still has friends/associates in those circles. I wouldn't be surprised if the government comes looking for her eventually either.

SPOILER TAG YOUR POSTS

Gavin996

Unconfirmed Member

I remember going through a section towards the end, and I just thought "Fuck it" and went in terminator style.
It went surprisingly well considering.

Its ambiguous in that we never get Ellie's actual opinion on the matter but the game hints heavily that she would sacrifice herself.

Ellie wants to do stuff after they leave the hospital but at the same time she has survivor guilt .
Which makes it easy for Marlene to manipulate her , we have Marlene putting the whole world on her while she feeling guilty that she only person still alive .
Either way can you say Ellie really had a choice in matter or she would be fully able to judge things for her self after what happen to her.

Garibaldi

Jesus wept, do you ever get a medkit in grounded mode? Joel has been running about for about 4 hours now holding his side. 3 magnum rounds is all I have. How I've made it I've no idea.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
wow! Huge difference. I'm glad I didn't start monkeying around with my TV settings.
Glad it worked for you too.

Thanks a lot!
Glad it worked for you. It was driving me crazy too.
A good test is the lower left corner of TLoU's title screen. You should be able to see some torn wallpaper there. If it's black your settings are wrong.
I spend tons of time getting my settings just right so this issue annoyed the crap out of me. Whatever updated added the deep color setting defaulted Auto on RGB to Full as long as the set would accept the setting, even if it's not properly supported, and wouldn't actually update video settings until you turn Deep Color on.

Jesus wept, do you ever get a medkit in grounded mode? Joel has been running about for about 4 hours now holding his side. 3 magnum rounds is all I have. How I've made it I've no idea.
Not really. You'll have to craft or get lucky. I don't think your partners ever give you any randomly like in lower difficulties.

Hubb

It's funny that she never mentions Marlene when talking about everyone she's cared about having left or died, she's known Marlene longer than anyone.

She knew Marlene for max 3 weeks.

EDIT:
Marlene on the other hand has known Ellie for a long time.

I said the other day that point blank shotgun should always gib and send flying back and lo and behold this game has it like that, and Jesús fucking christ dem headshots gore.

Im in love with this game, I made a good decision......
sticking it in my ass.

Lol

0224_jordan_630x420.jpg

Evil Beaver

...but I killed EVERYONE in the hospital. Even the doctors. Plus in The Last of US live show they said the epilogue scene was a goodbye to the characters. meaning that their story is done.

Hubb

...but I killed EVERYONE in the hospital. Even the doctors. Plus in The Last of US live show they said the epilogue scene was a goodbye to the characters. meaning that their story is done.

ND has said a good bit about their games that wound up being false.

found a glitch in the
bookstore of chapter 5
if you can make your way to the top and sneak by the guy guarding the door, all other enemy AIs in that area stop moving. Scrap that the game spawns 4 enemies by each of the 4 paths way going up. I dont know if they are meant to spawn but they are. using a brick to distract one makes all of them move.

Finally got to play (and beat) Left Behind. Damnnn that was good.

The ending obviously wasn't anywhere near as good or complex as the main game, but it fit the theme of the DLC's story quite well.

But the journey of getting there? Simply amazing.

The
past
sections in particular were just fantastic. I could have spent all day in the
halloween store, just trying on masks, playing with the skull
and just in general admiring the artwork (seriously, ND continue to top themselves with the level of detail and vibrancy in the art. There were a bunch of fantastic character moments, both between the characters and like in the main game you even get a sense for other people in the world who are long gone through looking at their belonging and notes. Other mind-blowingly awesome parts:
the arcade, the photo booth, and that awesome super soaker fight (I lost every time)
. I just love how they made so many things playable/interactive.

The
present sections
were great as well. It was a great tonal shift, and the DLC's most intense sections were here.
Being in the water with the stalkers was fucking terrifying
. Overall there is very little combat in the DLC, but the addition of
playing both sides against each other that comes into play towards the end was really neat
, it makes me wish it were expanded further and added to the main game as well.

So this is probably the DLC of the year (ever?), although Outlast's Whistleblower was a close second for me. I'd love to see ND do single-player story DLC again, and I'd like more games in general to try it out.

Oh, and I finally properly adjusted my PS4 to my surround sound and played around with the audio settings and holyyy shit. I thought the game sounded good before, but now its insane. Gunshots are deafeningly loud, as they should be, and the new music for Left Behind is absolutely beautiful.

Stealth the runners and leave the clickers for afterwards. Use the bricks and sneak up on the clickers and bash them three times to kill them. do not use your shivs unless you have to.

The first time through the game is hard but once it clicks everything becomes much easier. I am finding the game much more easier the second time around.

found a glitch in the
bookstore of chapter 5
if you can make your way to the top and sneak by the guy guarding the door, all other enemy AIs in that area stop moving. Scrap that the game spawns 4 enemies by each of the 4 paths way going up. I dont know if they are meant to spawn but they are. using a brick to distract one makes all of them move.

ths method is a glitch, i just did the area by luring that guard away then taking him out and those 4 didnt spawn

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

Nope lol. You have to craft them with already limited supplies. There is very little room for error on Grounded difficulty, it's very intense.

How far are you into the game?

5amshift

Banned
Didn't play the DLC before this, but playing it on the PS4 is absolutely amazing! The story telling for it is absolutely incredible. Plus,
you get to play The Turning!
Almost brought a tear to my eye.

First time player here.

Wow.

This game has happily entered my top 5. What a fantastic experience. The gameplay, the writing, the characters, the atmosphere, the story: I loved every bit of it. Even the music is perfect! A lot of love went into this game, and it shows. I love the mix of quiet, even serene moments of exploration interspersed with frantic, desperate fights for survival. It strikes a wonderful balance of action and calm, a balance that few games pull off so well.

Already started my next playthrough on hard. And after that, onward to survivor and beyond!

Damn, what an amazing game.

Summed up my feelings about it as well. One of the best games I have ever played...in fact, it is one of the most gratifying, intense and enjoyable experiences I have gotten from any medium in the last 2-3 years.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
After revisiting this game again I think it's tied with Metroid Prime as my favorite ever. I'm on a sixth playthrough in a year yet I still am compelled to keep playing and the intensity and emotional elements never fail to hit me.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
After revisiting this game again I think it's tied with Metroid Prime as my favorite ever. I'm on a sixth playthrough in a year yet I still am compelled to keep playing and the intensity and emotional elements never fail to hit me.

Same here. The game has become my all-time favorite, and it is not easy competing against the childhood nostalgia of games like Zelda:OoT.

border

I finished the game and am going to start the Left Behind DLC. Left Behind now wants to connect to Facebook for some reason -- can someone tell me if it is worth doing this? Is there an amusing surprise here or just a dumb gimmick?

kubus

I finished the game and am going to start the Left Behind DLC. Left Behind now wants to connect to Facebook for some reason -- can someone tell me if it is worth doing this? Is there an amusing surprise here or just a dumb gimmick?
It will post one picture to your wall. It makes sense within the context of the game and I thought it was cute. Give it a whirl, unless you really don't want any game related things on your profile or something.

I didn't do it but it's an amusing surprise. You won't miss anything if you don't do it though.

border

Out of curiousity, is it even remotely possible to stealth your way through the last two segments of the game (
at the hospital
)?

I kept trying to at least stealthily murder my way through, but there are so many enemies I couldn't keep things from turning into a shootout, even using strangling and the bow to stay quiet.

Eventually I just said screw it because I wanted to see the rest of the game. I had no idea that was going to be the last level. I felt like I was only 70% of the way through.

nib95

Banned

Haha, I used this exact thing to test mine too! I found a screen grab online of the title screen whilst browsing on my laptop, and I could see those torn bits (laptop is spyder calibrated) so as soon as I couldn't in the game, I knew something was up. Luckily messing with RGB settings in the console and my TV sorted the issue.

Top Bottom