• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

kubus

Out of curiousity, is it even remotely possible to stealth your way through the last two segments of the game (
at the hospital
)?

I kept trying to at least stealthily murder my way through, but there are so many enemies I couldn't keep things from turning into a shootout, even using strangling and the bow to stay quiet.

Eventually I just said screw it because I wanted to see the rest of the game. I had no idea that was going to be the last level. I felt like I was only 70% of the way through.
Yeah it's possible. I stealthed everything on my second playthrough, as going in guns blazing would be suicide on the higher difficulty levels. There's one route that you can take that makes that entire level a walk in the park. You can get to
Ellie
within ~2 minutes without being spotted that way. I think there's a video of it on youtube.

First time player here.

Wow.

This game has happily entered my top 5. What a fantastic experience. The gameplay, the writing, the characters, the atmosphere, the story: I loved every bit of it. Even the music is perfect! A lot of love went into this game, and it shows. I love the mix of quiet, even serene moments of exploration interspersed with frantic, desperate fights for survival. It strikes a wonderful balance of action and calm, a balance that few games pull off so well.

Already started my next playthrough on hard. And after that, onward to survivor and beyond!

Damn, what an amazing game.

Well said.

Just completed it again on Grounded. I stopped last night after completing the infamous winter segment. It was hard, but doable. Ironically, the cabin part before it is actually more difficult. The enemies drop ammo, but only so often. Having to reload in that tiny are with
clickers inside and Nathan Drake in the way of your one bullet?
Holy fuck is it annoying.

The hardest part for me however was the final segment during Summer. I had only a health pack with one-hit-by-anything-gurantees-death health remaining, and one 9mm bullet. You can't stealth your way through this part(for the most part). I had to retry so many times. I could only progress until I learned the patterns(random shotgunner always appears after killing the second enemy). And then eventually I made it to the fence just outside the house. And magically got sniped through the wall after killing everyone. Damn was I pissed lol

All in all, a challenging but rewarding mode for those who have played the game multiple times.

Korezo

Just got the game, and the last of us is the first third person view game that isn't plat forming to give me motion sickness. After 10mins of playing I felt like vomiting. I don't know why, I play 60 fps game on the PC all the time. I think I just hate the colors and the environments of this game.

Edit nvm. I just noticed I had motion smoother on my tv enabled, that was probably the reason.

IndustryX

Playing through Left Behind for the first time, going to try Survivor for my first playrhough then run back through for collectibles on my second run. I want that 100% Last of Us on my trophies ;)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just got the game, and the last of us is the first third person view game that isn't plat forming to give me motion sickness. After 10mins of playing I felt like vomiting. I don't know why, I play 60 fps game on the PC all the time. I think I just hate the colors and the environments of this game.

Edit nvm. I just noticed I had motion smoother on my tv enabled, that was probably the reason.
LOL

Fucking motion interpolation

Mild spoilers for a choice in Left Behind.

Is the drink that Riley finds and offers Ellie alcohol? If so she can straight fuck off. Ellie is like 13 or something. Underage drinking is bad.

Didn't play ps3 version. Loved the combat mechanics, took awhile, but it started clicking for me. Just finished single player main story. Can't decide if I want to play the DLC or go for the MP. So many great moments, I usually don't feel some much tension in a single play game. It really helped that you could die so easy ( I played on hard), it felt so satisfying to barely escape death...
tlou4.gif

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Is the drink that Riley finds and offers Ellie alcohol? If so she can straight fuck off. Ellie is like 13 or something. Underage drinking is bad.
Ellie is 14 and Riley is 15. They're both young. Besides, Ellie spits it right out.

milkham

I thought Left Behind took place like a year before the main story, so I thought Ellie would be 13. :p

Alright, thanks. Gonna go with Reject for the choice.

If i remember right, when
joel and tess discover that ellie shows up as infected on that scanner, she tells them the bite is two weeks old

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Wow, Left Behind was really well done. What a great bit of dlc. I immediately started on Survivor and I probably died more in the last encounter(s) than I did in the main game before on hard...
no ammo, all the time

It's bittersweet though, because you get this short burst of new content and material... aand then it's over again.

Will probably start survivor+ now. I fear Grounded is too much of a bump over hard.

Gavin996

Unconfirmed Member
If i remember right, when
joel and tess discover that ellie shows up as infected on that scanner, she tells them the bite is two weeks old

3 weeks old
Seriously the game just came out again and you are getting the facts wrong, not impressed milkham.

Jesus, Grounded mode is manageable but the checkpoints make me go full on RAGE MODE!!! I just arrived at Pittsburgh and lord have mercy on me during the basement.

Cloudy

Banned
The hotel basement is really easy the 2nd time
since you can explore and plan the escape route while fighting a few stalkers. I searched everywhere before I powered the generator and I ran so fast I didn't even see the bloater (had a molotov ready though)

Honestly I am having an easier time on Hard as opposed to Normal on my first playthrough. Seems like the enemy AI isn't less forgiving. You just have limited bullets.

I don't know how I feel about this kind of artificial "difficulty" though. I love using the guns...

libregkd

Just finished the game on Survivor. It's weird, I haven't really played the game since last June but Survivor didn't really give me trouble at all, in fact it felt a hell of a lot easier with only (late game spoilers):
the infected swarm during winter and the last section of the hospital
giving me any real trouble. It's as if how to play this game has been ingrained into me and now I won't freak out going into an encounter with a sliver of health and only 2 bullets on hand haha.

I was nervous about trying out Grounded but after this playthrough I really want to have a go at it.

Just beat it for the first time.

I'm not going to be able to say anything that hasn't already been said about it. It's simply one of the single best gaming experiences you can have. 10/10.

knitoe

Just finished the game on Survivor. It's weird, I haven't really played the game since last June but Survivor didn't really give me trouble at all, in fact it felt a hell of a lot easier with only (late game spoilers):
the infected swarm during winter and the last section of the hospital
giving me any real trouble. It's as if how to play this game has been ingrained into me and now I won't freak out going into an encounter with a sliver of health and only 2 bullets on hand haha.

I was nervous about trying out Grounded but after this playthrough I really want to have a go at it.
The only hard part about Grounded is the long checkpoints and very limited ammo. If your playstyle has been mostly stealth melee kills, it's relatively easy going. I just finished the Grounded game and DLC last night and probably 90% of my kills were that.

Gavin996

Unconfirmed Member
Just beat it for the first time.

I'm not going to be able to say anything that hasn't already been said about it. It's simply one of the single best gaming experiences you can have. 10/10.

Having beat and played it for the first time this past week as well, I have to agree recommend it to anyone with a PS4.
And a PS3 as well I guess.

woen

Just finished Left Behind. I guess I needed to do it right after the main game haha.

I like the diptych work they made. There is little gunfights (which is the core gameplay in TLOU) but they used the others parts to make the past scenes with Riley a wonderful moment all along. It is well written as well, there is so much to say about it. The other part fills up a gap, it adds a little bit about the relationship between Ellie and Joel and obviously Ellie and Riley. It wasn't necessary, just I don't need to know what exactly happened between the story gaps (little or big), but I enjoyed it as much as the main game. Maybe a little more for the exploring parts in the Mall.

Just one disappointment about the "true" ending revealed last week at the "live event" :

I was impressed by how they managed to get a story that made sense from the first scene to the ending "Okay", I don't understand why ND showed that scene exclusively for a few people once since this is the true ending and answers at least one major question. I don't get it. Is it canon ? Will we see Joel and/or Ellie for the sequel ? Will this scene appear then, as an opening ?

Just one disappointment about the "true" ending revealed last week at the "live event" :

I was impressed by how they managed to get a story that made sense from the first scene to the ending "Okay", I don't understand why ND showed that scene exclusively for a few people once since this is the true ending and answers at least one major question. I don't get it. Is it canon ? Will we see Joel and/or Ellie for the sequel ? Will this scene appear then, as an opening ?

Live event ending
is not the true ending nor is it canon. It is cut content that was cut for a reason, because it would have weakened the ending used in-game.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

notsureifsrs

It's post apocalypse dude. Pretty sure that's like the lowest of issues in their state of the world.

Darksol

It's not the "true ending" and it isn't canon. It was an ending they considered, and ultimately rejected. I'd say canon is
everything that actually made the game, "okay" included.

Kvik

Yeah it's possible. I stealthed everything on my second playthrough, as going in guns blazing would be suicide on the higher difficulty levels. There's one route that you can take that makes that entire level a walk in the park. You can get to
Ellie
within ~2 minutes without being spotted that way. I think there's a video of it on youtube.

I can also vouch that this is entirely possible. I spent zero bullets and performed zero choke-outs (Hard+, haven't done my Survivors/Grounded yet). I'd say the key here is to time my movement against
the guard near the staircase up to surgery
since there's little room to hide near it.

Having issues playing with my buddy online today. Played one game in 40 minutes. By myself, it worked fine. However when he invited me to play together, it never really worked. Is this a common issue for the PS4 version and if so, does anyone know if they have said when it would be updated (fixed)?

Just completed it on normal. 1 year on the game is still fantastic and looks so good too. It definitely has a fantastic story but nothing will ever beat the first time I experienced the story.

I just arrived at Winter...

And this game is easily top 5 for me right now. Hell, I think about it when I'm at work. Thinking what I'm going to do, what I need to do. That's not normal for me.

Depending upon how it ends, it just might crack the top 2. Going to be hard to push Chaos Theory off the throne though.

Hubb

For whatever reason I just had the worst luck against (75% through the game spoilers)
David.
I never struggled as much as I did this time.

leng jai

The gamma issue seems to ease up once you get into the meat of the game. There's still some slight black crush but nothing like the extremely washed out effect of the first 2 hours or so. Strange.

Finished it on hard after playing through it once on PS3. The graphical upgrades make it look like a true next gen title but the base game is just so strong that it makes you appreciate what they were able to do on the 8 year old PS3. I'm not one for hyperbole but I'm more convinced then ever that Naughty Dog are the single best development studio around at this time and The Last Of Us is the best game I've played since Morrowind and probably one of the top 3 ever.

Shredderi

I played the basement on mute with Tswift playing in the background.

Just played that and this time I knew what to expect and holy shit was that tense! I'm like
"Okay, I started the generator now I'll run here and- OH MY GOD THE BLOATER SPAWNED HERE AND NOT WHERE I REMEMBERED and then I almost soiled myself.

mstevens

Does anyone know of a guide that explains tactics on specific encounters on survivor / grounded? I want to try those difficulties, but would like some guidance.

Top Bottom