• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Does the NG plus game trick still work? I finished the game on Hard and I want to play on grounded+ so I started a new game + on hard and played the first chapter then when I spawned with Tess I did the chapter select and I selected the first chapter on grounded but how do I know it worked???

You can check as soon as you get your backpack, if the upgrades from your previous game are there. And if you upgraded your health, you can see from the moment you patch yourself up with a healthpack.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
According to Druckmann:
“Then we come to that ending and that lie and that okay and what does that okay mean? It’s definitely not a complacent ‘yea I’ll go along with you’, in fact, it’s the opposite. It’s Ellie waking up for the first time, waking up and realizing she can’t rely on him anymore. While she loves him for what he’s done for her, she hates him for robbing her of that choice. She knows that she has to leave him and make her own decisions and mistakes.”

Can't say I'm fond of this perspective at all.

Stoze

I never said it wasn't a decision, and you are free to think there was a decent chance. I don't know where you got that through the games story telling. No one even got a chance to examine Ellie expect for a few hours at the end of the game. And it is impossible to not bring up what ifs (you are doing it to!), without knowing about what happens afterwards we can only speculate. I'm sorry you think I am devolving this to definitions and not accepting you "cure-all" answer. But what is going to happen? You are going to shoot a clicker with a magical dart and it'll be cured? You haven't come close to convincing me on your pragmatic outlook on this. I fail to see how it is morally right to let them kill Ellie.

Even with the clickers gone, humanity is far from saved, and no guarantee it will recover.

What ifs wasn't the right phrase to use, my bad. And yeah, we'll just have to disagree with the ending then. I believe Naughty Dog's intention was to create an ending with Joel choosing Ellie over the rest of the rest of humanity. There are a million reasons people can think of on why that really isn't the choice or that the alternative is too unlikely, but that's not what the ending decision is about to me (and hopefully others?). I believe Joel's decision is the humane choice to make and would make it myself, but I don't think it's the right one because I don't believe right involves placing yourself above others on this magnitude.

I could go into specifics about what my interpretation about "the rest of humanity", what that means and how I came to that, and what beats in the story and dialogue lead me to believe it's a binary choice along those lines, but that would take a while I'm honestly out of energy making walls of spoiler text so this may be my last post on the matter. I apologize for that.

Cure
noun
a substance or treatment that cures a disease or condition

CBI is incurable, it completely fucks the brain, and in the case of stalkers/clickers/bloaters it even tears people's goddamn eyeballs out.

The Fireflies (and pretty much everyone in the US) lack any kind of structure to mass produce a vaccine, let alone distribute it or convince people it works. At this point, it's actually easier to wait for all the currently infected to die out and kill the cordyceps strain with them.

And this is why I'm stopping here. Look at my other posts and above, my and original post. It doesn't matter what "cure" means. Your assumption that anyone won't be able to spread the vaccine, however long it takes, is one I believe takes away from the writer's intent of the ending concerning Joel's decision.

I think you are looking into the vaccine too much and its ability to "save the entire human race".

He would make a good Firefly.

Horribly outdated goals reinforced by the same brutality that any one of the "evil" groups has, but justified because it's for the "greater good".

Well, it's not like she's going to leave in the middle of the night and simply completely abandon the camp. My guess is when she's old enough she will find her own way in life, and isn't afraid of being alone anymore, which was a major part of her coming of age tale.

LeFAIS

Joel felt like Ellie was his daughter and if I was in his shoes, I'd rather be a scumbag to humanity, than be a scumbag to my daughter.

Also, they didn't have a guarantee that they would even find the cure.

ascii42

Marlene IMO is innocent. She gave no choice for Ellie, sure, but neither Joel did. She was desperate to find a cure for saving humanity, she didnt like her choice too but there was no other way.

Right, I did think about her, and I agree. She even says that giving permission was really just a formality, they would have operated on her anyway. I just didn't mention her because her death happens during a cutscene instead of making you perform the kill like with the surgeon.

Stoze

According to Druckmann:
“Then we come to that ending and that lie and that okay and what does that okay mean? It’s definitely not a complacent ‘yea I’ll go along with you’, in fact, it’s the opposite. It’s Ellie waking up for the first time, waking up and realizing she can’t rely on him anymore. While she loves him for what he’s done for her, she hates him for robbing her of that choice. She knows that she has to leave him and make her own decisions and mistakes.”

I agree, wow. If that's true then I kinda wish I wouldn't have read that, but I'll just have to stick to my original interpretation of the final scene. If Druckmann truly meant that to be the intent then I think he misfired on his direction there.

Ferr986

To be fair thats was how I saw the ending too
I knew their relationship was never going to be the same, Ellie still doesnt believe Joel and shes not comfortable that he keeps lying

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
To be fair thats was how I saw the ending too
I knew their relationship was never going to be the same, Ellie still doesnt believe Joel and shes not comfortable that he keeps lying

How did you come to that conclusion? The ending didn't give anything away to me..
maybe it was the questions she was asking?

According to Druckmann:

Yup. That's how I interpreted as well. It just makes much more sense considering the game is designed to build up to this. That's why it's so critical that
you play as Ellie in Winter. It shows how she is (or can be) independent.

Ferr986

How did you come to that conclusion? The ending didn't give anything away to me..
maybe it was the questions she was asking?

because you can see how her doesnt believe him (even if she says ok). Living with someone that keeps lying on something so important for her shouldnt be easy, I assumed their relationship would take a hit after that day

StuBurns

Banned
Honesty isn't always the best policy. I think because his lie is so obviously bullshit, and she knows that, I saw the question as testing if he was willing to lie to shield her from the truth. He did it for somewhat selfish reasons, of course, but it did benefit her on some level. It took something away too, and it took away her ability to choose obviously, but the truth is she never had a choice, the fireflies certainly didn't give her one.

I know Druckmann has clarified what the ending means, and that's fine, it's 'canon', but it was never my interpretation, and it still isn't.

Stoze

It is. Neil was saying his interpretation.

Yeah, I guess I didn't realize that because the Druckmann quote is kinda out of context, and not meant to be his intent but rather his interpretation. I had to look up the IGDA speech to check it out. He acknowledges it's his interpretation and that it's different from most gamers'.

Even still his perspective seems surprisingly outlandish to me being the one who wrote the game, but it's totally a possible interpretation to have. It's just always jarring to hear the creator's view on their creation.
The way the conversation unfolds and the way Ellie says "okay" really makes it seem the other way around, which is why I think that's a weird perspective to take considering the direction of the scene. That's down to how I view though, of course.

StuBurns

Banned
I'd like to know what Ashley Johnson thinks about the 'okay'. There's Druckmann's opinion of what he wrote, but ultimately I guess it's on what she believed when she said it. They talked about some of these things in the commentary tracks, but not for the ending if I remember correctly.

Stoze

Man I should really get into the multiplayer, but I kinda want to replay the game. Not sure if I should go Survivor+ for dat 100% feel of maxing everything out and getting the collectibles I missed, or Grounded+ for the challenge.

Curufinwe

Does the NG plus game trick still work? I finished the game on Hard and I want to play on grounded+ so I started a new game + on hard and played the first chapter then when I spawned with Tess I did the chapter select and I selected the first chapter on grounded but how do I know it worked???

It worked fine for me.

Just check your difficulty in the Options and your upgrades when you can.

hexen

Neo Member
any hints please, i'm stuck and it's frustrating beyond belief. :(

chapter 9, "the hunt", the area where ellie and that guy are trapped in a dead end and undead are swarming in through the windows? i got to the bloater spawn once in around 30 tries, but was out of ammo. hard difficulty. if i try to preserve ammo by killing them with bottles+knife i get overpowered by the sheer number of enemies, if i try to shoot them i'm out of ammo too fast.

DrM

Redmond's Baby

chapter 9, "the hunt", the area where ellie and that guy are trapped in a dead end and undead are swarming in through the windows? i got to the bloater spawn once in around 30 tries, but was out of ammo. hard difficulty. if i try to preserve ammo by killing them with bottles+knife i get overpowered by the sheer number of enemies, if i try to shoot them i'm out of ammo too fast.

Not that hard -
You have some time before the attack to create molotov or bomb from stuff in that room. I wasted three runners with Hunting rifle (they dropped ammo) and both Clickers with single molotov. After that quick dash to collect the stuff and then some running around the main room with some precise head shooting. Check the table near the beds because ammo and molotovs can appear there. You will be near the end when bloater appears.

Raptor

Ragdolls are pretty neat.

mIab.gif

This is exactly why I love this game gunplay above all others so much, this game have what I always wanted a shotgun to behave, you see in here the gibs and gore is there while the enemy went flying backwards, seeing that is pure bliss to me, pure orgasmic joy of the highest degree.

This game.....

According to Druckmann:

Ah, lame. I wish I hadn't read that. I thought the ending was deliberately ambiguous.

Huh... that's exactly how I interpreted it, I thought they did a perfect job of capturing that expression on her face.

Which is fucking amazing when you think about it.

I'm confused - how did you guys interpret it? I thought that was pretty clear.

Mogwai

Question regarding Left Behind:
Can someone tell me the point of showing Ellie fetching Joel medicine for a second time? This didn't really do anything story-wise except for telling us that Joel needed a lot of medicine.

Stoze

My general strategy: At the beginning when it's not chaos, let an enemy deal with the other person for crowd control. After that, sprint around constantly, kite enemies around like crazy until they're in a big group, drop shrapnel bombs when they're grouped up. Circle around up the stairs to try and funnel one enemy at a time at the top platform. Rinse and repeat.

Remember, Ellie can insta-kill zombies by stabbing when they are either grabbing another npc, after they are hit by a bottle or brick, or after being hit by a single shot from a gun or bow.

Save a molotov for the bloater, it will deplete almost all his health.

Superflat

I'd like to know what Ashley Johnson thinks about the 'okay'. There's Druckmann's opinion of what he wrote, but ultimately I guess it's on what she believed when she said it. They talked about some of these things in the commentary tracks, but not for the ending if I remember correctly.

Edge did a post-portem interview and Ashley gave her interpretation there:

Ashley Johnson: It’s funny because that ending, everybody’s interpreted it so differently. In my mind, Joel and Ellie have already gone on this whole journey and Ellie is fully prepared – if finding the cure and getting the cure means dying – then so be it. But finally having a connection and a relationship with somebody, that becomes more important because it’s like, I’ve finally connected with somebody in this world. If your choice is to save me over everybody else in the world then…ok. I trust you now and let’s live life.

Man, it's ridiculous how I still remember this from a year ago lol

Jobbs

Banned
Question regarding Left Behind:
Can someone tell me the point of showing Ellie fetching Joel medicine for a second time? This didn't really do anything story-wise except for telling us that Joel needed a lot of medicine.

The story in Left Behind portrays what happens prior to the events of Winter in the main game. Ellie is finding a first aid kit to stitch him up with. In the winter act of the main game, we infer that Joel has an infection and a fever, and Ellie acquires antibiotics and treats him.

Melchiah

I'm confused - how did you guys interpret it? I thought that was pretty clear.

More grey, with less black and white morality. I interpreted, that Ellie went along with the lie as she didn't want to be left alone, and because she knew Joel would be there for her, no matter what. Whether what he did was right or wrong, there was no judgment on her behalf. The beauty of the ending was, that anyone can make their own interpretations. I just didn't want to hear what the author had in mind, as it makes it less ambiguous.

EDIT:
Edge did a post-portem interview and Ashley gave her interpretation there:

Ashley Johnson: It’s funny because that ending, everybody’s interpreted it so differently. In my mind, Joel and Ellie have already gone on this whole journey and Ellie is fully prepared – if finding the cure and getting the cure means dying – then so be it. But finally having a connection and a relationship with somebody, that becomes more important because it’s like, I’ve finally connected with somebody in this world. If your choice is to save me over everybody else in the world then…ok. I trust you now and let’s live life.

Man, it's ridiculous how I still remember this from a year ago lol

I like her interpretation more than Druckmann's.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Just took me forever to get into the
highschool
and the section before it.

What difficulty were you on? I buzzed through on Grounded+ with not much of a problem. Also using a few rounds here and there will get you ammo drops from some enemies, as some other posters have mentioned. Trying to stealth and melee everyone got me next to nothing.

High school pt 1
High school pt 2

That was far from a perfect run but you can still get through tough areas with a fairly small net loss of stuff.

I asked this yesterday but no one answered me. I just bought this game, did they fix the glitch where sometimes shadows don't line up right in 30fps mode. I'd like to know before I start playing.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
What difficulty were you on? I buzzed through on Grounded+ with not much of a problem. Also using a few rounds here and there will get you ammo drops from some enemies, as some other posters have mentioned. Trying to stealth and melee everyone got me next to nothing.

High school pt 1
High school pt 2

That was far from a perfect run but you can still get through tough areas with a fairly small net loss of stuff.

Grounded+, but I'm trying to save as much ammo as I can. Basically trying to punch / brick / bottle everything. The section before your first video took me a lot longer. I just got into
Pittsburgh
now, though.

Mogwai

The story in Left Behind portrays what happens prior to the events of Winter in the main game. Ellie is finding a first aid kit to stitch him up with. In the winter act of the main game, we infer that Joel has an infection and a fever, and Ellie acquires antibiotics and treats him.

That much I had figured already :)

I just don't see how it's adding significant value to the story as we already did give Joel the antibiotics in the base game. It gave a realistic angle, but why not focus the DLC fully on the Riley flashback or perhaps something with Joel? That would have been more interesting to me.

StuBurns

Banned
That much I had figured already :)

I just don't see how it's adding significant value to the story as we already did give Joel the antibiotics in the base game. It gave a realistic angle, but why not focus the DLC fully on the Riley flashback or perhaps something with Joel? That would have been more interesting to me.
She had never used a gun until TLoU, any pure prequel would have been without combat.

Melchiah

I had a glitch in the fall chapter, where you
dismount the horse, and go to open the gate through the clicker-infested area. Joel just got stuck on the ground, and couldn't move.
I had to restart from the last checkpoint, which luckily was just before that.

Man, had to turn it down to normal. The first room with the runners was getting on my nerves, however I feel the rest,
I'm at Bill's place
, I could've completed on hard. Don't have that much problem with the clickers.
and Tess dead, really..., you leave me emotional Druckmann! Two deaths in two hours. Didn't expect that!

shwimpy

Just 100%'d it. Grounded was such an amazing ride. Never thought I would ever like a stealth mechanic so much in a game but wow, ND nailed it. On the PS3, I blasted through the game on normal but grounded is certainly a gamechanger. What a fantastic game... probably my game of last generation (or second to Demon's Souls).

Hardest part on Grounded was definitely
pretty much all of Ellie/David tag team sections.
I think I spent close to an hour trying to finish both sections. Rest of the game was fairly manageable once you learned the scouting patterns and the exits.

Can not wait for Uncharted 4. So excited Druckmann/Straley took over. As thankful I am to Amy Hennig for creating the franchise, Uncharted 1 and 3 were not very good games.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
PS3 version, but I thought these moments from a let's play were pretty funny.

iVyUbXoJacx7p.gif

iLfokkTOSvCls.gif

Really terrible player though. Almost painful lol

Cubed

85% complete the trophies after completing my Grounded+ run.

I just need to complete the two multiplayer journeys and get 5 downs or executions on two maps.

Cubed

The
book store
checkpoint on grounded blows. :(
Just run through. I did on my first try.

Hug the left outside, through the tents, and go around to the left of the building. Head up the metal staircase to access the second floor. Shoot the two guys that are between you and the exit (or distract them with a brick/bottle) and RUN!!!!!!!!

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Sometimes those are the best to watch.

haha I can't deny that. But believe me, this one was just a waste of time. She never even finished the series.

Top Bottom