• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Hubb

Just run through. I did on my first try.

Hug the left outside, through the tents, and go around to the left of the building. Head up the metal staircase to access the second floor. Shoot the two guys that are between you and the exit (or distract them with a brick/bottle) and RUN!!!!!!!!

You can actually sneak by the one guy that is just standing at the exit on the 2nd floor, then jump out the window to dodge the guys coming up the stairs. You can do that whole section without killing anyone.

I usually just kill one guy so I can grab some gun parts + item from the one room then head up stairs.

Beat the game yesterday for the first time. It was just mindnumbingly good.

Next is to play Left Behind and then a Grounded+ play. Might try some multiplayer in between as well.

Superflat

Mind blown; did not know you can kick people off ledges, probably because there aren't that many situations where you can. That looks hilarious.

In the schooyard section, I always climb on top of the buses and kick the infected off the tops. Pretty effective!

Another rare combat animation is grabbing an enemy's feet and pulling their legs out from under them. It only happens if an enemy is standing on a table or higher ledge than you. Happened less than a handful of times in all my playthroughs combined.

mcfrank

Just finished Survivor for the first time. Such an amazing game, even the second time through. I have never played Left Behind, which difficulty should I play on? Leaning toward Hard for the first time as normal would be too easy after just finishing survivor on the main game, but Survivor seems like it would be too hard without having been through it once before.

Cubed

It's funny that after beating grounded I can't go back to easy or normal. I used to play this game over and over again on those two difficulties just to enjoy it and kind of steamroll through, but I had so much fun trying to figure out all of the mechanics and tactics on my grounded run that I need more of a challenge to keep myself interested going forward.

I don't really want to play on grounded or survivor ever again but I do think hard, with listening mode disabled, is the best difficulty balance.

Stoze

Just finished Survivor for the first time. Such an amazing game, even the second time through. I have never played Left Behind, which difficulty should I play on? Leaning toward Hard for the first time as normal would be too easy after just finishing survivor on the main game, but Survivor seems like it would be too hard without having been through it once before.

You could easily do Left Behind on Survivor or Grounded, because there is very little combat in it. The DLC dosen't really focus on combat and it's only 3 hours long, so I think you'll be fine. Nothing in it comes close to the challenge of Winter sections on survivor or grounded.

Khayam

Banned
You could easily do Left Behind on Survivor or Grounded, because there is very little combat in it. The DLC dosen't really focus on combat and it's only 3 hours long, so I think you'll be fine. Nothing in it comes close to the challenge of Winter sections on survivor or grounded.

Funny, after beating the game in Hard mode (w/ listen mode On) I thought the DLC will get me started on the Grounded experience.

Was good and fun so far, but right now I'm stuck near the end
with the guys attacking the door. First wave is fine and good but second wave... i'm so clueless on where the ennemies actually are...

It'es really the absence of the listen mode that is a game changer, not so much everything else.

psychotron

Just had a glitch that nearly made me rage...
I was at the battle at Tommy's Dam, playing on Grounded, with no molotovs and not much ammo. After dying many times, I was able to kill several enemies with the axe and slowly take out the rest. I was thrilled, until I realized the door wouldn't open. I tried everything but the workers remained in cover while Tommy just wandered around. Not a single enemy to be found. Had to restart the encounter. Soooo pissed.

Curufinwe

It's funny that after beating grounded I can't go back to easy or normal. I used to play this game over and over again on those two difficulties just to enjoy it and kind of steamroll through, but I had so much fun trying to figure out all of the mechanics and tactics on my grounded run that I need more of a challenge to keep myself interested going forward.

I don't really want to play on grounded or survivor ever again but I do think hard, with listening mode disabled, is the best difficulty balance.

I'm running thru on Easy+ now to upgrade my last two weapons and it's pretty funny. I have so many long lasting shivs I just run straight up to all the clickers and stab them.

JaseMath

Just played through Left Behind for the first time. Really enjoyed it—much better (and much different) than I was expecting. The world The Last of Us has created is easily the most believable world I've experienced in all my years of gaming...it's an absolute feat of storytelling.

Also,
didn't like the kiss—felt really forced. Ellie's emotions toward and relationship with Riley are so apparent that it wasn't needed in my opinion.

nib95

Banned
Just finished a hard run, but want to do a new game+ run on Grounded, can someone run me through how I can do that using the exploit?

Hubb

Just finished a hard run, but want to do a new game+ run on Grounded, can someone run me through how I can do that using the exploit?

Start a New Game+ on whatever difficulty you just beat.
Complete Chapter 1 of the game, Hometown
As soon as Chapter 2 begins (20 Years Later), pause the game and save. Exit to the main menu
Choose Chapter Select and select the first chapter "Hometown"
Select Grounded.

nib95

Banned
Start a New Game+ on whatever difficulty you just beat.
Complete Chapter 1 of the game, Hometown
As soon as Chapter 2 begins (20 Years Later), pause the game and save. Exit to the main menu
Choose Chapter Select and select the first chapter "Hometown"
Select Grounded.

Awesome. You're a star!

Start ng+. Play until the time skip then quit. After that open chapter select and play the first chapter again on Grounded and continue from there.

What's the best strategy to take out a bloater?

Fire. The armor piercing upgrades for the rifle and el diablo tear them apart as well. With both upgrades the rifle can drop one in 3 shots

Hubb

Gah, finally got to winter on my Grounded run and it was
Ellie's
artifacts that I was missing. Guess I flew by them my first playthrough and they didn't register. Now I just need to figure out which Shiv door the game thinks I am missing even though I have gotten them all.

Cloudy

Banned
Also,
didn't like the kiss—felt really forced. Ellie's emotions toward and relationship with Riley are so apparent that it wasn't needed in my opinion.

Would you feel that way if
Riley was a guy? People kiss folks they like. I don't see how it was "forced"

openrob

Reading Empire magazine's recent list of greatest games of all time, which placed TLOU at 1st place struck me as odd.

Now I haven't played the game (yet! Lack of a PS3/4) and it's seems great from the reactions, to the sales performance, but would people on here consider it a contender for the greatest game of all time? Or was that ranking based on current hype?

I think that spaces in the top ten are usually reserved for older games that have remained important over years, rather than still being in the marketing push phase!

Just curious, thanks.

and if it is, I may need to play it sonnet rather than later!

nib95

Banned
Reading Empire magazine's recent list of greatest games of all time, which placed TLOU at 1st place struck me as odd.

Now I haven't played the game (yet! Lack of a PS3/4) and it's seems great from the reactions, to the sales performance, but would people on here consider it a contender for the greatest game of all time? Or was that ranking based on current hype?

I think that spaces in the top ten are usually reserved for older games that have remained important over years, rather than still being in the marketing push phase!

Just curious, thanks.

It absolutely has the quality to be. Certainly in my top 10, likely even top 5, essentially beating Resident Evil 4 to it's own game. I personally never thought a game from the last generation would ever get in that coveted range, but then ND comes along and changes all that. Often best game of all time lists are partly fuelled by nostalgia, and it's very possible that LoU could have that same poignancy in future, for many gamers that are playing it today.

evildose

Neo Member

Just curious, thanks.

If you haven't played it yet then the remaster is def worth a rental at the very least. One of the greatest games of all time? I wouldn't place it in the list. It has a good story, great atmosphere and graphics, but the mechanics themselves seemed a bit off to me. It may be just me though as I thought the same of Uncharted as well. The controls just seem floaty, not really as precise as other games like it and, to me, you'd need to nail every aspect to be considered the GOAT.

Just curious, thanks.

Yes. TLOU is a GOAT tier game. And I've been playing games since the NES.

terrible

Banned
I think for me OoT and Half-Life would have to rank ahead of The Last of Us but I have no issues with having TLOU at #3 I don't think. If I could play all those games for the first time right now TLOU would surpass them relatively easily though.

Jobbs

Banned

Just curious, thanks.

it's perhaps my GOAT, certainly top 3. I grew up on NES and SNES and played all the greats in their time. TLOU is just that impactful. For me, at least.

Just curious, thanks.

Yep, I'm mid 30s and have been gaming for all my life. This game is an exceptional, once in a lifetime type game. I wish I could play it for the first time again. Loved it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Just curious, thanks.

Nowhere near deserving of the placement on that list, but it has a very engaging story and a great set of characters. The gameplay itself was just alright though. In the camp that adored the first time experience, but will not revisit for the sake of experiencing it as a videogame. Lots of people do though as this thread attests.

Just had a glitch that nearly made me rage...
I was at the battle at Tommy's Dam, playing on Grounded, with no molotovs and not much ammo. After dying many times, I was able to kill several enemies with the axe and slowly take out the rest. I was thrilled, until I realized the door wouldn't open. I tried everything but the workers remained in cover while Tommy just wandered around. Not a single enemy to be found. Had to restart the encounter. Soooo pissed.

Once I was able to enter that door before the encounter ended and the door locked behind me with no one else. I was stuck in the area and had to restart. Something is up with that door.

Gator86

Just curious, thanks.

Last of Us is definitely top 5 for me. It's just top of the line in almost every area. Sound, visuals, story, characters, gameplay, you name it. Just a ridiculously good game and one of the few that tells a story about characters who can make you genuinely feel something. It shames 99% of other games in that department.

Top Bottom