• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Let it be known that I am the first person to earn the Grounded, Survivor, Hard, and Normal Trophies for this game.

I am also the only person, as of the time of this person, to earn the Grounded Trophy.

http://psnprofiles.com/trophy/2752-The-Last-of-Us-Remastered/49-Completed-Grounded-Mode

http://psnprofiles.com/trophy/2752-The-Last-of-Us-Remastered/16-No-Matter-What-Survivor

http://psnprofiles.com/trophy/2752-The-Last-of-Us-Remastered/15-No-Matter-What-Hard

http://psnprofiles.com/trophy/2752-The-Last-of-Us-Remastered/14-No-Matter-What-Normal

Sorry, it just feels good to be first at something

Awesome, man! I can't imagine Survivor, not to mention Grounded. Even though I grew up adoring limited resource, survival horror, I do not have the patience anymore.

Do you really think they'll do another full review for it or just maybe update their old review?
0Db0AiF.jpg

Right. And since it's just an update it's Phil reviewing it again. He won't change his mind or admit he's wrong so as I see it, it goes one of two ways. 1) The score is raised likely .5 (maybe 1.0) for the enhanced presentation and increased playability and because most people at Polygon think 7.5 was the wrong score to give it. Or 2) its score remains the same (maybe .5 less??) because it's the same game Phil didn't like the first time, only a year older and less impressive. I'm leaning toward option #1.

Really debating hard on this one. Normally don't replay too many games due to my massive backlog, but I loved this game and the Gamestop deal has me teetering on the edge. Ugh.

Just buy it if you have the money. $25 is a great deal, plus I'm sure you would like to replay it again if /when the sequel comes out.

Right. And since it's just an update it's Phil reviewing it again. He won't change his mind or admit he's wrong so as I see it, it goes one of two ways. 1) The score is raised likely .5 (maybe 1.0) for the enhanced presentation and increased playability and because most people at Polygon think 7.5 was the wrong score to give it. Or 2) its score remains the same (maybe .5 less??) because it's the same game Phil didn't like the first time, only a year older and less impressive. I'm leaning toward option #1.

They will throw something in about the trigger placement changing gameplay significantly.

jacobeid

Banned
I'm going to go pre-order this game tomorrow, aren't I?

After buying three copies (one for myself, two as gifts) and the SP DLC , my wallet was hoping to escape from this but I don't think I can resist.

So I see everyone talking shit about polygon and I'm just wondering why. I've never really followed them. I'm on my phone so I don't really wanna look up anything. Anyone care to share why there's so much hate?

Lol! How about some quotes from their recent remaster preview

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/16/5902983/the-last-of-us-remastered-ps4-preview-graphics

The Last of Us is a stunning visual masterpiece.

Naughty Dog's The Last of Us Remastered, which launches July 29 on PS4, looks to be the definitive version of one of the best games of 2013.

6.5 confirmed

Written by: Samit Sarkar

Unless it's written by Phil Kollar or Arthur Gies, I don't see too much changing. Most the staff loved TLOU. Like most of the population.

Gray Matter

So I see everyone talking shit about polygon and I'm just wondering why. I've never really followed them. I'm on my phone so I don't really wanna look up anything. Anyone care to share why there's so much hate?

They (Phil kollar) gave the game a 7.5 when virtually every outlet gave 9s and 10s.

You can see why all the "hate".

At this point, reviews really don't mean as much since this is a remaster, it's really all about the technical details.

EDIT: it would be like going to medium to very high settings.

During the Besties section for GoTY 2013, The Polygon panel practically admitted that their scoring for TLoU was wrong.

It'll probably be a 9 this time round, with a retrospective look on how Joel is now an awesome character because reasons.

Polygon has great editorials, well written and fairly impartial news, awesome and original video content, and hilarious personalities (Justin and Griffin mainly). However, their reviews are led by Arthur Gies, noted MS-obsessive, and have had some unsavory scores and content for certain games.

StuBurns

Banned
I had no problem with their score, I don't think games 'deserve' anything, it's all about how it's received by the reviewer, it was just funny because everyone believed Polygon were in MS's pocket, and when Sony drop their generation defining masterpiece, Polygon give it a way below the curve score.

The score should remain what it was, or Kollar is spineless, revisionist or incompetent.

Polygon has great editorials, well written and fairly impartial news, awesome and original video content, and hilarious personalities (Justin and Griffin mainly). However, their reviews are led by Arthur Gies, noted MS-obsessive, and have had some unsavory scores and content for certain games.

I would say that Gies's problem is that he has pre-defined biases and preferences that makes him very critical on some aspects of some games, and then flagrantly overlook other aspects because he thinks it doesn't matter.

Like Forza 5's review, and how he thinks the lack of content doesn't matter because the game is fun, there's enough cars, and who gives a shit about the Nurb? Enough tracks for your regular racing fan. Content is probably the 2nd most important thing in a racing game behind the core mechanics ( physics, handling, etc), so I don't know why he decides that it doesn't matter for Forza 5 because it's fun.

Sky Chief

They also are well known for publishing glowing reviews of broken games and then repeatedly rescoring them when the public realizes their scores were completely unjustified.

During the Besties section for GoTY 2013, The Polygon panel practically admitted that their scoring for TLoU was wrong.

It'll probably be a 9 this time round, with a retrospective look on how Joel is now an awesome character because reasons.

Not "practically". Justin opened TLOU talk by saying (paraphrasing) "Let's just get it out of the way: our TLOU score was wrong. It was wrong, okay? I think we can admit that."

However, Justin is not Reviews Editor. And none of the Besties reviewed TLOU or are doing the Review Update. Arthur Gies is Reviews Editor. And Philip Kollar is doing the Review Update.

So while I think the score will improve slightly, I don't think we'll see any turnaround. Look at what Phil's been saying on twitter. He hasn't changed his mind about TLOU.

I would say that Gies's problem is that he has pre-defined biases and preferences that makes him very critical on some aspects of some games, and then flagrantly overlook other aspects because he thinks it doesn't matter.

Like Forza 5's review, and how he thinks the lack of content doesn't matter because the game is fun, there's enough cars, and who gives a shit about the Nurb? Enough tracks for your regular racing fan. Content is probably the 2nd most important thing in a racing game behind the core mechanics ( physics, handling, etc), so I don't know why he decides that it doesn't matter for Forza 5 because it's fun.

Not "practically". Justin opened TLOU talk by saying (paraphrasing) "Let's just get it out of the way: our TLOU score was wrong. It was wrong, okay? I think we can admit that."

However, Justin is not Reviews Editor. And none of the Besties reviewed TLOU or are doing the Review Update. Arthur Gies is Reviews Editor. And Philip Kollar is doing the Review Update.

So while I think the score will improve slightly, I don't think we'll see any turnaround. Look at what Phil's been saying on twitter. He hasn't changed his mind about TLOU.

I followed Gies on Twitter for a while but he really came across as a self important, pompous douchebag. One of those people who is never willing to admit he might be wrong on something. IMO he is about the worst person to have as a reviews editor.

I followed Gies on Twitter for a while but he really came across as a self important, pompous douchebag. One of those people who is never willing to admit he might be wrong on something. IMO he is about the worst person to have as a reviews editor.

There. You're a real Member now, David.

They (Phil kollar) gave the game a 7.5 when virtually every outlet gave 9s and 10s.

You can see why all the "hate".
I see. I've always thought reviews were kinda bizarre with how they handled the actual scores. 10's should really only be reserved for perfection. And there's very very few games deserving of 10's. 7.5 does seem low though.

Meh. Looking forward to it though.

StuBurns

Banned
I see. I've always thought reviews were kinda bizarre with how they handled the actual scores. 10's should really only be reserved for perfection. And there's very very few games deserving of 10's. 7.5 does seem low though.

Meh. Looking forward to it though.
There are no perfect games, reserving ten for perfect seems absurd.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
He enjoyed Left Behind more than the main game. That alone might raise the score a bit.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
So what are you guys gonna do...

30FPS or 60FPS?!

I just spent way too much money on the Olly Moss/Jay Shaw print from Comic Con.

Pretty sure the hype from the past two threads caused me to do that.

Time to go sleep before buyers remorse kicks in.

*edit* (Insert Polygon rant here)

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Um; we're trying to complain about reviews here. Can we not? It's not the time to get sidetracked by relevant discussion.

Oh my mistake, of course not.

*ahem*

POLYGON TO UPDATE SCORE TO 7.6, etc. etc.

Sky Chief

I had no problem with their score, I don't think games 'deserve' anything, it's all about how it's received by the reviewer, it was just funny because everyone believed Polygon were in MS's pocket, and when Sony drop their generation defining masterpiece, Polygon give it a way below the curve score.

The score should remain what it was, or Kollar is spineless, revisionist or incompetent.

A professional review should be about a lot more than just how much the reviewer enjoyed the game. That is an important aspect of any review but far from the only thing that a game should be judged on. A professional reviewer should also consider how others will receive and enjoy the game and take that into consideration as well. The Polygon guys are just way too wrapped up in their own opinions and self importance.

Top Bottom