• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Season 2 New Trailer

It's confirmed to span more than one season. With 7 ep seasons, I wonder if they can even cover it in 2.

Screenshot-20240926-115450.png

That's good news, wonder why they have a scene from the very end of the game included

Zimmy68

This hits all the right beats, almost perfect.
But I would have ended it with the close up of a bloodied Joel, on the ground looking at Ellie.

HogIsland

That's good news, wonder why they have a scene from the very end of the game included
No clue but I'd be happy to see them mix up the chronology. My biggest criticism of season 1 is that it encapsulates each major story beat into 1 tidy episode. It gets a little predictable when you know a character introduced at the start of an EP will be dead in 45 minutes.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Anyone think they will keep the museum part in? That was honestly my favorite part of TLOU2. Really hits you in the feels.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I have a feeling the show will make Abby a lot more likeable than the game.
She was already more likable than revenge bitch mode ellie in the game, people are just hung up on her for getting a revenge that anyone would have tried to achieve if they were in her shoes.

Oh no, she was a cunt and brutal to the dude who killed his father and a lot of fireflies (that were probably her friends), how could she do that...

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
All I care about is last of us 3 and than they throw the show at us, they throw another remaster at us it’s interesting when it comes to this series.

Bartski

Gold Member
I still hate Bella as Ellie but love everything else. Curious how they altered the script so it makes sense Abby being flimsy little girl

Trunim

I have never experienced someone being so fitting for their role in season 1 and then being the most unfitting I've ever seen for season 2.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I thought the opposite funnily enough, She annoys the fuck out of me.
So didn't Ellie in TLoU2, so, perfect then.

I was team Abby after the constant selfish bitch-mode Ellie was in, lacking all introspection that cost her everything.

Jormatar

I would enjoy this show a lot more if they had found someone better to play Ellie. Feels like massive miscast, now more than ever when she should be older in S2 yet she looks exactly the same as in season 1.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
True i suppose but personally for me she does not make a decent Ellie, she always looks semi retarded.
Funny thing is, the woman they cast for Abby (Kaitlyn Dever), was who some people were saying should have been Ellie. She even looks more like Ellie from the game (TLoU2).

unbelievable_101_unit_01125r-2000-9fff637ff3804201841ec3337fa4d870.jpg

At this point I'll say it looks great but please don't follow the story of 2 that closely, everyone knows what I'm talking about.

Trilobit

The "gay episode" was fucking beautiful. You don't need to be gay yourself to enjoy something like that, or feel moved by it.

I thought it was weird that they made a whole episode about a sidecharacter in a show with so few episodes. The season felt like it should have been several more episodes, especially with the Offerman episode squeezed in. It mostly detracted from the main focus which should have been Ellie and Joel. It was also a very basic love story and I can't see it have been praised as much if it was a straight couple instead.

Looking forward to season 2. The funguys seem to be even creepier this time.

Last edited:

Hunter 99

Looks amazing,can't wait! The 1st season exceeded my expectations,it was awesome.
This trailer actually gave me minor excited goosebumps

I don't know what it is but this series look too "Disney Channel" to me. It doesn't feel as grounded and natural as the games. Everything looks too "pretty".
Disney Channel might be a bit too on the hyperbole side, but I know what you mean. There have been articles and videos that have went over why and I think with time newer filmmakers will course correct from having their films looking a bit too clean.

kiphalfton

Yup. Ditched it after episode 2. Thought it was fucking terrible and felt extremely "cheap" for an HBO show.

Yup.

Doesn't help it has really bad pacing issues too... which isn't an issue for the first game.

Which is the opposite of the second game, so that's one thing that could help season 2 come out ahead of season 1.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I thought it was weird that they made a whole episode about a sidecharacter in a show with so few episodes.
Out of all the side characters, Bill was the most talked about back in the day of the original game and people wanted more lore on how it all came to be. That, and Holywood's boner for sticky manlove in everything on screen. At least it was told tastefully and very, very well acted.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Abby was fine in the game. People just judge her too harshly based off her character model.
Disagree. She was not some disaster of a character, but the games did a poor job of making me care about her at all. And they made me come to loathe Ellie, who was my favorite character from TLOU1. One of the many reasons I didn't like the game. I think the show will have me feel something for Abby this time around. Or at least I hope.

Josemayuste

I find it difficult for the tv show to match what the videogame did in terms of narrative, tbh, you can't have the level of engagement that a videogame provides in a tv show. That said, I'm more than ready to be proven wrong and for the tv show to be on par with what I consider one if not the best story ever told in any videogame to date when it comes to evoke emotions to the player, never did I felt such anger, pity, rage, delusion, depression uncertainty, clemency or repentance in such a way as I did with f****ng The Last of Us 2, I mean, no other game managed to make me feel, not even a third of those feelings, TLOU2 meanwhile, oh man, what an emotional rollercoaster it was.. that game made me feel all of them if that makes sense.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I thought it was weird that they made a whole episode about a sidecharacter in a show with so few episodes. The season felt like it should have been several more episodes, especially with the Offerman episode squeezed in. It mostly detracted from the main focus which should have been Ellie and Joel. It was also a very basic love story and I can't see it have been praised as much if it was a straight couple instead.

Looking forward to season 2. The funguys seem to be even creepier this time.

It was an episode to show the lives of a few regular people who found love in the middle of this apocalypse. We don't see much of that during the rest of the show.

Last edited:

Trilobit

It was an episode to show the lives of a few people in this apocalypse. We don't see much of that during the rest of the show.

Yeah. there was probably a point to it, but for me it impacted the momentum in the story detrimentally. Showing the lives of others could have been incorporated while still continuing the main characters' story.

EruditeHobo

I want to know how they will divide up the seasons. I figured since they were stretching it out to two seasons, "that scene" wouldn't happen til the end of season 2, but based on the trailers, it looks like it may stay true to the game. But obviously, can't be 100% sure just based on trailers.

Gonna be season 2 ending IMO. Something akin to Ned on GOT... but in season 2, not 1.

However... interestingly, we do see Ellie playing the guitar for Dina. So that must be on the road to Seattle? Think they will flash on that somewhat, but mostly will be Jackson, and showing rift form between Joel & Ellie, and also cutting to Abby for her/WLF development... and then they come together with the big cliffhanger near the end.

Just my assumption. Think it's the best way to do it, dramatically...

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Gonna be season 2 ending IMO. Something akin to Ned on GOT... but in season 2, not 1.

However... interestingly, we do see Ellie playing the guitar for Dina. So that must be on the road to Seattle? Think they will flash on that somewhat, but mostly will be Jackson, and showing rift form between Joel & Ellie, and also cutting to Abby for her/WLF development... and then they come together with the big cliffhanger near the end.

They may reorder it as a flashback towards the end as to why all the motivations and audience shock factor whom never played the game.

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
Did anyone else didn't enjoy the show and abandoned it after a couple of episodes?
All I thought while watching it is I'd rather play the game.
I knew the major story beats, rolled my eyes at the gay episode and overall idk it was bland. The story is not compelling enough in this medium. The game hit differently IMO.
The opposite. I stopped the game and watched the whole season 1. Overrated and not even in my top 10, but still good enough to watch season 2. The "gay epsiode" was one of the best espisodes except the stupid scene where one of them ran on the street and got shot.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell

If they do it that way then I'm guessing it's in the final episode, though not the final scene. They wouldn't leave fans hanging like that. And then the final scene would be

Ellie talking to Tommy about going out for revenge and Tommy saying he can't go and Ellie leaving in search for revenge and season 2 ends like that.

But still, to make it fit time-wise, like mentioned, they'd have to make it so the flashbacks were all front-ended or happen in real time. It would make sense though to do it that way because

Having the game without Joel is different than having a show without Joel. In the game, the flashback moments are not interruptions since you have hours of gameplay and down time in between. In the show, forcing in lengthy flashback moments that could honestly take up entire episodes just wouldn't fit and would hurt the pacing
so I think it might be right that they show the flashback moments in season 2 or just start the story immediately after season 1 and have the flashback moments not flashbacks at all, but occurring organically in the timeline of the show.

mitch1971

Gold Member
Did anyone else didn't enjoy the show and abandoned it after a couple of episodes?
All I thought while watching it is I'd rather play the game.
I knew the major story beats, rolled my eyes at the gay episode and overall idk it was bland. The story is not compelling enough in this medium. The game hit differently IMO.
Watch 3 episodes then gave up. I'd played the game enough times to know what happens.

Hugare

Trailer is really, really good. And this is coming from someone who didnt enjoy the first season.

But I'll say it yet again: Bella looks 14. Worked well for Part I, but she still looks 14. She doesnt look older. So will be jarring af to see her looking just like Ellie at 14 when she should look older.

I know, Bella isnt young, but she looks young. This is why she was chosen to portray a 14y girl in the first place.

Saturn Dragon

Neo Member
First season was boring af. (Game was amazing)
Can't expect much from season 2 when the game it's based off has a storyline that's the ultimate all over the place whack(woke) bore fest

Top Bottom