• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Season 2 New Trailer

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Fuck yeaaaahhh! This looks incredible, just like the first season. Ah man, I can’t wait. I’m really curious about how they’ll handle some of the plot.

Saturn Dragon

Neo Member
Did anyone else didn't enjoy the show and abandoned it after a couple of episodes?
All I thought while watching it is I'd rather play the game.
I knew the major story beats, rolled my eyes at the gay episode and overall idk it was bland. The story is not compelling enough in this medium. The game hit differently IMO.
First two episodes were kinda ok. Though I didn't like Pascal as Joel at all, and Bella, well... I could write a thousand pages essay about why she's not a convincing Ellie.
I kept watching because I had a lot of free time.
Gay episode is pointless and FORCED.
Following episodes were more or less trying to keep the storyline of the game but without as much tension, and that's what made it all a bland version of the original storyline from the game.

As Pascal and Bella are sub-par avatars of the game characters, which IMHO were one of the highlights of the game, both visually and characterization (voice actors were AMAZING in the game) and the show having like 10% of the action... There we have a show with a bad pace, not good looking actors and bland performances.

DanielG165

Minor nitpick, but the actress playing Ellie doesn't look anywhere like how her growth is from the first game to the second.
I think she looks old enough. Ellie is 19 in Part 2, and Ramsey, the actress playing her, looked pretty spot on in the trailer. She just doesn’t look as grungy as game Ellie does in Part 2 lol. Plus, age of course wears differently on people, so it’s harder to have them look a certain age in a live action show versus a carefully curated game model.

hinch7

Looking good. Hopefully a bit more action in this one. Can't wait for the hospital scenes with Abby.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Actually, now that I think about it more, I'm not sure they can save the big moment for the end of the season. For that moment to work, we can't fully know who Abby is yet. That moment is supposed to happen, THEN you're supposed to understand her motivations as the story progresses. And they can't wait until the end of season 2 or into season 3 to tell us who Abby is. They'd have the audience following along with a character an entire season and nobody knows who the hell she is. That can't work. So I don't know how they're gonna work it.

Toons

Would have been a perfect choice, instead we get Miss down syndrome 2023

Way too old to have played ellie in the first season.

I have to admit its gonna be fun seeing this wound opened again for many. Who am I kidding, for some it never healed. Also anyone thinking they are changing that story beat is entirely delusional. Its gonna happen. Just a matter of how far into the season they do.

But a whole new wave of discussion is going to be had. That part im less eager about but it must be.

Last edited:

WoJ

Did anyone else didn't enjoy the show and abandoned it after a couple of episodes?
I knew the major story beats, rolled my eyes at the gay episode and overall idk it was bland. The story is not compelling enough in this medium. The game hit differently IMO.
Pretty much my feelings on the show. It was okay but not even close to the game. And I'll be the one to say it...the Ron Swanson episode sucked. That was the episode I walked away from saying "they wasted an hour and a half on a side character" when they could have toned down the side story and interjected some the experience Joel and Ellie had going through Bill's town in the game.

instead we wasted an episode on a side character. It never felt to me like the Joel and Ellie relationship in season 1 was earned like it was in the game. And the Ron Swanson episode is a major reason why. We lost 90 minutes that could have helped flesh out Joel and Ellie to a side story.

That said, the season 2 trailer looks good. I will be interested to see how quickly they pull the trigger on the Abby and Joel scene.

dcx4610

I didn't like the show at first. I really didn't like Bella as Ellie at all. If you stick with it though, she really grows on you and does a good job. I do think the game is better but the TV does do its own thing and its worth watching even if you'd played the game. Season 2 looks to be great.

While Kaitlyn doesn't really look like Abby, I think it will probably be a more realistic depiction than the game.

If you thought gamers were a bunch of entitled whiny bitches who can't see the world they're playing, from the eyes of the creator, but only and exclusively, through their own sense of self-righteous, holier than thou vantage point, oooooohhh booooy, you're in for a rude awakening with the TV and Movie nerds, who are in a different league when it comes to this stuff. Lmfaooooo.

Can't fucking wait for the meltdown from the next two seasons (covering the whole 2nd game), and hope the girl who's playing Abby gets some personal security whenever she's going out lol.

Go get that birdie 1 under par, Queen!

Cute Girl Golf GIF

Moon Walk Dance GIF

Celebrate Will Smith GIF

Last edited:
And you can see the same issues as in the game. The main characters had great chemistry between them.
However, after one of them dedicated their life to a golf career, everything fell apart.
There isn't a single good example in entertainment where the older generation successfully passes the torch to the new generation and ideas.
This is because the first The Last of Us was a product of the old world, while The Last of Us 2 is a product of the new world.
The transition of the old characters to a new game and new ideas within the same franchise was not handled well.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
If you thought gamers were a bunch of entitled whiny bitches who can't see the world they're playing, from the eyes of the creator, but only and exclusively, through their own sense of self-righteous, holier than thou vantage point, oooooohhh booooy, you're in for a rude awakening with the TV and Movie nerds, who are in a different league when it comes to this stuff. Lmfaooooo.

Can't fucking wait for the meltdown from the next two seasons (covering the whole 2nd game), and hope the girl who's playing Abby gets some personal security whenever she's going out lol.

Go get that birdie 1 under par, Queen!

Cute Girl Golf GIF

Moon Walk Dance GIF

Celebrate Will Smith GIF
I actually think it will be the polar opposite. The TV audience will handle it much more calmly, there wont be any death threats and harrassment towards the actor like the small dicked gamers.

Lunarorbit

I had the same reaction but thought the nick Offerman episode was great. I cried at the end.

But then I didn't finish it. After joel gets impaled I just dropped it. I'm not particularly interested in watching season 2 even though tlou games are some of my favorites all time, I love hbo shows, like all the actors... Just don't really care

I actually think it will be the polar opposite. The TV audience will handle it much more calmly, there wont be any death threats and harrassment towards the actor like the small dicked gamers.
If they kill off Pedro the show is dead, I'll tell you that right now. Guy literally carried the first series singlehanded.

Top Bottom