• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Remnant |OT| of DON'T LISTEN TO REVIEWERS!

manzo

Holy fuck what a journey!

lr.jpg

Then time to hit Star Ocean 4. After dealing with that turd, time to kill the DLC bosses and purify in the awesomeness of LR! :D

Jonsoncao

Banned
Seda said:
I can't believe most people put this game off. A JRPG that mixes up the battle system, has good VA, and has an actual plot is considered a failure?

TLR is the game i enjoyed the most this generation.

Also, for me, White Conqueror was much easier than AC. At the same BR.
how come? unless u are using different strategies for those two

since the white one has much higher ATK and also is much faster than you

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Pretty sure the conqueror scales somewhat according to how powerful you are/or if you've done the right quests. For me, the regular conqueror was a bit difficult, while the white conqueror was a cakewalk.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
So ah, k, question:

I just got to some city where I can buy a weapon that's Yama-specific, only I can't equip anybody other than Rush. So what's the point of being able to buy a weapon that he can't use, then?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Lost Fragment said:
So ah, k, question:

I just got to some city where I can buy a weapon that's Yama-specific, only I can't equip anybody other than Rush. So what's the point of being able to buy a weapon that he can't use, then?

Buy the weapon and forge it up along an upgrade path that one of your Yama characters uses and they'll ask for it if it's better than what they've got. This is pretty useless if you're playing the Xbox 360 version and somewhat handy if you're playing the PC version.

Llyranor

Quick Q now that I have a new PC on the same. Thinking of double-dipping. New features all seem good. BUT, I remain concerned about removing the leader cap? For those who've played both versions, how do you find the balance btw the games, re: leaders, and using generic soldiers, and the difficulty level?

I suppose I could just use the story-related leaders only or something, which is what I did for the 360 version (minus 1). Next Steam sale or something!

ivysaur12

Banned
Ok, just bought this for the 360 cause of how much people on GAF like it.

Not sure what I think so far. I played until I was first able to save, which was not much at all, but is the framerate and popup always this bad? And some of the textures are really muddy. I'm doing an install right now, so hopefully that will help.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I think I'm about to give up on getting any enjoyment out of this game. I really want to like it since this might be as close to HD SaGa as I'm ever gonna get, but there's just too much about this game I either think is annoying or just plain not fun.

At the big city with the academy in it, btw. Should I keep going or is it pretty much more of the same from here?

Ceebs

Llyranor said:
Quick Q now that I have a new PC on the same. Thinking of double-dipping. New features all seem good. BUT, I remain concerned about removing the leader cap? For those who've played both versions, how do you find the balance btw the games, re: leaders, and using generic soldiers, and the difficulty level?

I suppose I could just use the story-related leaders only or something, which is what I did for the 360 version (minus 1). Next Steam sale or something!
The game was rebalanced taking into account the PC changes.

Llyranor

ivysaur12 said:
Ok, just bought this for the 360 cause of how much people on GAF like it.

Not sure what I think so far. I played until I was first able to save, which was not much at all, but is the framerate and popup always this bad? And some of the textures are really muddy. I'm doing an install right now, so hopefully that will help.
Yeah, you pretty much need to install it.

starsky

Lost Fragment said:
I think I'm about to give up on getting any enjoyment out of this game. I really want to like it since this might be as close to HD SaGa as I'm ever gonna get, but there's just too much about this game I either think is annoying or just plain not fun.

At the big city with the academy in it, btw. Should I keep going or is it pretty much more of the same from here?

I think you should keep going. I really like SaGa and this game is the best HD JRPG I've played so far.

Gah I've been putting a ridiculous amount of time into this game.

Anyway I think I'm at BR 76 and I'm working with 5 unions:

Torgal/David + 2 generics- About 3300 or so HP. - Probably my main damage unit. They're also most likely to lock with bosses.
Rush + 3 generics- 2500ish? Mostly healing.
Baltor errh whatever that fishgeneral's name is + 2 generics - 2000ish HP Not sure what I'm doing with these guys. They're decent support as they can rez but otherwise dunno.
Emm + 3 generics - 2500ish HP Again more healing + summon for tanking.
Jager + 2 generics +++ Completely ridiculous dialogue - Holding onto this guy cause he'll get real good eventually.

Haven't had too much trouble with this party(the only fight I had to retry was that big dude + little girl waaaay back when and that was only cause he spammed Kilohit like a jerk) although I did get ripped up hardcore by the Eldritch Dragon which I guess was one of the extras added in from the DLC.

Currently I'm halfway through the 6 Bases. Should I consider rearranging my party in any way?

My biggest beef with this game is that it's way too easy to miss stuff. For example I had no idea I missed out on a quest just by not speaking to that Ghor dude between each Base encounter. This isn't counting the other quests I missed for saying ".." instead of "..." or whatever else.
Also if I ever do a replay of this game it's going to be the PC version no question. Having no leader cap would give me a good reason to use guys like Gabriel.

Aaron

Just started this game on PC after giving up on it near the end on the 360 last year. There's a lot of little tweaks that make it much nicer, but no restrictions on leaders is easily the best part, and it scales so it's not a cakewalk either. Skipping the blah story also helps.

masterkajo

I really enjoyed the battles but the story was by far the worst in any JRPG I have played. It wasn't even a story it was just a sequence of random events with horrible voice acting and confusing dialogue.

Monocle

Absoludacrous said:
The monster dismantler achievement is just...ugh...

Currently sitting at 980/1000.
Just keep plugging away. If it's taking too long, go to the upstairs room with the teleporter in Robelia Ruins, link all the Pests there (first clear the lizard things in the hallway), dismantle those you capture, zone out (walk down the stairs), save, reload the file, and repeat the process.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Bought this for PC at $15 at Best Buy yesterday. Installed it... hmm...

Runs pretty good. Textures do look muddy but that's a cary over from the console version. I hate the fact that it tears a lot, I can't find the V-sync anywhere, though capping the framerate to 60 could do the trick. Character models are good... BUT WTF IS UP WITH THEIR TEETH? JEEESUUUS.

Rush looks pathetic, has a pathetic voice, and has buckteeth I think. Not good for a main character to suck that hard. Story seems mildly interesting but the battle system is really complex and fun. I am barely 30 minutes in though.

Am I missing something here? I didn't get an achievement for beating the final boss.

End spoilers
I thought you guys said Rush was dead. All he did was pull the same trick JRPG heroes of late have been pulling.

Footos22

You wont get an achievement for beating the final boss unless you did every sidequest in the game. This activates the absolute conqueror. the same boss just alot harder.
But was the most challenging boss in the game minus some of the dlc bosses
some sidequests are missable which is a bitch but hey ho.

my second 1000/1000 rpg on xbox
loved the shit out of this even if the story was pretty bleh

orion434

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Oh for fuck's sake. Well I ain't putting in a second playthrough with my nose in an FAQ the entire time.

*Uninstalls*

There are pretty good FAQ's on the side-quests, and the Achievement that will take the most time is the monster dismantler.

Chairhome

Relix said:
Bought this for PC at $15 at Best Buy yesterday. Installed it... hmm...

Runs pretty good. Textures do look muddy but that's a cary over from the console version. I hate the fact that it tears a lot, I can't find the V-sync anywhere, though capping the framerate to 60 could do the trick. Character models are good... BUT WTF IS UP WITH THEIR TEETH? JEEESUUUS.

Rush looks pathetic, has a pathetic voice, and has buckteeth I think. Not good for a main character to suck that hard. Story seems mildly interesting but the battle system is really complex and fun. I am barely 30 minutes in though.
For V-sync, try D3dOverride to force V-sync.

----------------------

Tech question:
I bought this for PC a while ago, I let my brother install it on his PC so he could try it out since I didn't have time to play, but he registered it to his Steam acct. Can I install it again on my PC without registering it on Steam?

Mudo

Yep, if you have the PC version and are using an ATI card, get D3Doverride - it forces Vsync and works like a charm. The game was tearing so bad before I found this that it was basically unplayable. Now..perfect!

Relix said:
:lol :lol that's hilarious exactly what I thought. I had a hard time watching the cutscenes because of this.

Moobabe

Chairhome said:
Tech question:
I bought this for PC a while ago, I let my brother install it on his PC so he could try it out since I didn't have time to play, but he registered it to his Steam acct. Can I install it again on my PC without registering it on Steam?

I'm not 100% sure. Though I would think installing it offline would mean you can't register it in steam?

Chairhome

Moobabe said:
I'm not 100% sure. Though I would think installing it offline would mean you can't register it in steam?
Does it require Steam Registration then? It wouldn't be a big problem for me to log on to his acct, just annoying.

rayner said:
There are pretty good FAQ's on the side-quests, and the Achievement that will take the most time is the monster dismantler.

Not exactly thrilled by the idea of replaying the game just yet. Besides if I do it'll be the PC version and welp no achievements there.

Missable sidequests are all kinds of stupid IMO.

orion434

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Not exactly thrilled by the idea of replaying the game just yet. Besides if I do it'll be the PC version and welp no achievements there.

Missable sidequests are all kinds of stupid IMO.

They are not as missible as some other games... basically do all of XXX sidequests before the end of Disc 1. Also some are dependant on the generals you recruit, so just make sure you recruit those guys as soon as you see them.

The only reason this game was so difficult to 1000/1000 was because of the BR and understanding it... but once you learn Weapon Arts ~ BR 105 it's actually really easy.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I've been reading...

Is it better to avoid link battles so you don't get promoted for BR and the game auto scales itself to kick your ass?

Enjoying the game. I am on the Ivory Peaks right now. Game runs fantastic on my HD 4870, nearly 60FPS most of the time. I actually capped the FPS at 60 and there's some minor tearing going on, but nothing maddening.

Relix said:
I've been reading...

Is it better to avoid link battles so you don't get promoted for BR and the game auto scales itself to kick your ass?

Enjoying the game. I am on the Ivory Peaks right now. Game runs fantastic on my HD 4870, nearly 60FPS most of the time. I actually capped the FPS at 60 and there's some minor tearing going on, but nothing maddening.

The only points where BR makes any real difference is in special abilities and enemy HP. For example if you have a higher BR you're likely to see people doing Switchback III instead of Switchback I or something. Enemy HP also tends to climb very high and the scaling is all over the place. For example at BR 99 the dragon I fought in the final dungeon had more HP than all three of the final bosses put together(though it seems that all dragons have shitloads of HP for whatever reason). Higher BRs trigger weapon arts anyway which all but break the endgame. Other enemy stats are also supposed to improve with higher BRs but you gain in strength far more quickly than they do.

All that said I'd skip on linking. It's supposed to improve droprates but the difference is so negligible it's not worth the hassle(never did get my jewel steel, fuck you TLR!). Lower BRs make "leveling" faster and it's boring and frustrating entering a dungeon where everyone is too weak to be worth fighting(yet they'll still chase your ass down if you try to avoid them)

EDIT: Then again you are playing the PC version. From what I've read BR has less of an impact. Even then I seriously doubt you can get the BR to scale to a point where you can't win. I think every area has a certain limit as to how strong enemies can get(like you'll never fight enemies just as strong as you if you go back to the first dungeon late in the game). If there's a certain boss kicking your ass there's no shame in grinding some BRs.

In fact for a certain series of battles I recommend it highly.

Diablos

Question: I tried to resume a year-old 360 save after giving up on TLR; still finding the battle system kinda dumb. But I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Currently, I can only have two parties... each one with two people. Would it make more sense to put four people in one party until I can get 3+ in more than one party? I find that I'm getting ganged up on way too much as things are now, regardless of how much I level up. I am currently on Disc 1, at the
Catacombs

Diablos said:
Question: I tried to resume a year-old 360 save after giving up on TLR; still finding the battle system kinda dumb. But I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Currently, I can only have two parties... each one with two people. Would it make more sense to put four people in one party until I can get 3+ in more than one party? I find that I'm getting ganged up on way too much as things are now, regardless of how much I level up. I am currently on Disc 1, at the
Catacombs

If you have a character that can do very well on his own (ie Blocter), you might be able to leave him in his own union and just create a union for Rush and 2 other soldiers. If that doesn't work, putting all 4 units in one union will do, though that limits the diversity of your actions in battle. It's been a while since I've played, so remembering the beginning of the game is a little hard right now lol

The catacombs is where you go to find
Rush's mother
right?

I actually did that area as one large group. Obviously chaining battles is out of the question and attacks that hit the entire group hurt badly but that area is still a fairly smooth ride.

Aexact

Diablos said:
Catacombs

This may come too late but you only have 4 units? At the Catacombs? That seems far in. I'm guessing they're all leaders then as that's what the leader limit should be at that point of the game.
Did you hire soldiers from the Athlum town square? David should've told you to go hire some after the generals rejoin you. They're free and there should be a ratio on the right that tells you the max number of soldiers you can hire. If it's 0/x, then that may be your problem.

And you shouldn't level in this game, at least, not how you do so traditionally. The game gives you better stat level ups for fighting enemies that are stronger then you (you start the battle with low morale, not the same thing as being ambushed). If you grind against enemies that are weaker then you, you'll get almost nothing at all.

Chris R

gregor7777 said:
$9.99 on Steam right now. Midweek madness sale.
Was waiting for something like this. Bought, even though I'm so far behind on my gaming backlist and didn't really like the PC demo :lol

rhfb said:
Was waiting for something like this. Bought, even though I'm so far behind on my gaming backlist and didn't really like the PC demo :lol

I probably won't play this until well into next year, but I've been waiting on a Steam deal.

I figured it would be a half off or something. For $9.99, I can't resist.

Fucking Steam. :lol

batbeg

$9.99?! Fuck. I... I think I'm going to buy it even though I don't plan on having a computer that could run it for a very long time, just because that's so fucking cheap.

Dave Long

Banned
Yeah, I doubt I can hold out at that price, and I just got back from Target with Section 8 and Demigod in hand ($20 total for both...)

Aaron

PC version is so much better with autosave and all leader teams. Shame they never updated the 360 version, but I can still play with my 360 pad so it's almost the same thing.

Yaweee

(I'll just post this here instead of the TLR v. UI thread, since that debate was dead before it started)

I bought the PC version a few weeks back for $20 during Eidos week. How did I not see the $10 Christmas sale for it? Fuck. It should be seeing a permanent price drop to $20 soon, but SE has always been a bit douchey when it comes to pricing.

Anyway, I'm finally getting hooked on it. At BR 10, the "Eagle's Nest" or something like that near Celeipeleis for an interesting strategic battle, part of the main story. I got my ass whooped, then headed for the desert and unlocked a whole bunch of new areas and some new towns. Some thoughts and questions:

+ The PC version seems pretty good in terms of the improvements SE made to the gameplay, but it really lacks some basic PC functionality and it's leading to quite a bit of frustration. No load option, controller configuration, or graphics settings in game? That's BS. Also, achievements looked like they were designed pretty well in the 360 version, so their absence is missed.

+ Even if it isn't called SaGa, it so clearly is one. Nearly all of the mechanics and quite a few of the world elements remind me of something from the other games in the series:

Formations: RS1,RS3 (though better implemented in TLR)
Skill Learning: (everything)
Stat Progression (everything)
Union positions and movement in battle, particularly the larger ones: SF2's strategic battles
Weapon Grips: RS1's Stances
Giant Remnants over cities: US's Wonders.
World Map layout and unlocking: Part US, part RS1 (and I guess 3?)
Quests: US, RS1
Resource Gathering: RS1 (though better implemented in TLR)
Horrible Cave Design: RS1

Thank god they dumped that fucking Life Point system. It was never implemented well, and I hope those damn things stay dead forever. I'm also glad they got rid of durability on equipment.

+ Out of curiosity (since it doesn't matter in the PC version), did "unique" members you recruit Guild Hall (like Loki) count as Leaders in the 360 version with regards to the Leader limit, or did they count as just cool looking generic troops?

+ I actually like the story so far. The scenes are short, and generally well directed.

+ The music is fantastic.

+ I love the art design for the cities and outdoor dungeons. Caves, though, are fucking ugly and repetitive.

It's been a long time since I've been this in to a JRPG.

I'm in total agreement with the guy above me. I'm about 7 hours or so into the game and it keeps getting better and better. The art direction and music are awesome as well. I'm also really enjoying the battle system and party setup. I still can't believe I gave up on this game after an hour or so on the 360. If I had played it a little longer then I would have probably forgiven some of the graphical and presentation issues. I'm just glad I spent some time and played this PC version. Right up there with the next gen RPGs like Lost Odyssey and FFXIII for me so far.

Subitai

Yaweee said:
+ Even if it isn't called SaGa, it so clearly is one. Nearly all of the mechanics and quite a few of the world elements remind me of something from the other games in the series:
Hmm, maybe this should be noted in a thread title edit.

Top Bottom