• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story |OT| Now confirmed worldwide

I had completely forgot this was coming out so soon...

It's not good. I have uni work piling up and probably shouldn't be spending any money, but I've always been interested in this game. Always saw it as the last Wii game I'd probably buy, and after having just read some stuff on it and watched a few videos I want to get it.

Told myself Mass Effect 3 would be the last game I'd buy before my next student loan payment came through but I may have to rethink that...

Foffy

Banned
Man, trying to finish games I have before I buy new ones..but man, am I ready for this.

Hopefully I'll finish Solatorobo this week so I don't juggle and eventually add another game to my not finished list.

Enlightened

Neo Member
Do Want.
Would have been nice if they included dual audio but the voice-overs sound decent enough from the little I've heard so it should be alright. Looks to have a lot of replay value too which is a great thing. I'll have to import the limited edition and pick up the NA version of the game when it comes. And if it never comes, guess I'll be resorting to doing some surgery on my Wii.

Welp, steel case it is.

You hear me Nintendo? SSB4 needs a fucking collectors edition, with the soundtrack and/or and artbook and/or a fighter figure of the SSB roster at random. I would kill for a good figurine of Samus, Bowser, Ridley or Little Mac(yeah, those two will be in SSB4... i hope)

fernoca

Does it run on Dolphin?

Seems like it.

A few GAFfers posted pics of it on Dolphin too:
Last story, only played for about an hour and with standard settings.

tls1xmag.jpg

tls2qgj3.jpg

Wii The Last Story
ba60117d8c7535740b35a4be004c4f7719f40132.png

0a38e7cbcec317d2d1aca0caa8e1bb3c72e469bb.png

7ddb0684c58c5fa1c49b4ae6602d3a16dc08891a.png

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
What would you think is considered a success for this title in PALand?

Taking in mind Xeno's ~115k sold there

thefro

It plays like Mass Effect 2?
I was already intrigued, but after this...sooo mine.

Mass Effect 2 is probably the closest game to it that I can think of that people have played. Both games are pretty heavily influenced by Gears of War.

The big difference is you're primarily using your sword in The Last Story and your bow is mainly a support weapon. Without special arrows you can't really kill enemies easily with arrows (unless the game intends for you to do so), so the cover system is more about sneaking up on enemies, or tanking to allow your allies to cast spells.

I actually like the combat quite a bit better than Mass Effect, mainly because the battles actually have strategy to them instead of fighting mobs of the same 3-4 enemies spawning from nowhere. It may be key for you to take out enemy archers or an enemy mage/healer first, for example, whereas just hacking/slashing away at the front line enemy grunts would lead to a much more difficult battle.

You have up to 6-7 characters in your party as opposed to only three. There's some Zelda-like bosses too.

Both games are pretty similar as to how streamlined they are.

Some other differences are that obviously there is no good/evil system with dialog trees, even though you do get to make dialog choices here and there in TLS. Also Zael's skills are predetermined, so you can't make him a different class (although you can play as those other classes in the multiplayer). There's also nothing similar in TLS to the planet exploration/discovery in the Mass Effect series. The Last Story does has the open city and some optional chapters to find but you're not able to discover new places outside of the storyline.

totowhoa

Banned
Just imported from GAME.

Man, all these years and I never knew UK pricing was pretty much the same as US pricing after shipping. I missed on some good games that I should have picked up. Still need to beat (well, play even) Xenoblade. I think I'm more like to play a shorter game like this though, even with all the games coming up in March that I'll be picking up. Glad to have this and Rhythm Fever to go out on for the Wii.

Torraz

Mass Effect 2 is probably the closest game to it that I can think of that people have played. Both games are pretty heavily influenced by Gears of War.

The big difference is you're primarily using your sword in The Last Story and your bow is mainly a support weapon. Without special arrows you can't really kill enemies easily with arrows (unless the game intends for you to do so), so the cover system is more about sneaking up on enemies, or tanking to allow your allies to cast spells.

I actually like the combat quite a bit better than Mass Effect, mainly because the battles actually have strategy to them instead of fighting mobs of the same 3-4 enemies spawning from nowhere. It may be key for you to take out enemy archers or an enemy mage/healer first, for example, whereas just hacking/slashing away at the front line enemy grunts would lead to a much more difficult battle.

You have up to 6-7 characters in your party as opposed to only three. There's some Zelda-like bosses too.

Some other differences are that obviously there is no good/evil system with dialog trees, even though you do get to make dialog choices here and there in TLS. Also Zael's skills are predetermined, so you can't make him a different class (although you can play as those other classes in the multiplayer). There's also nothing similar in TLS to the planet exploration/discovery in the Mass Effect series. The Last Story does has the open city and some optional chapters to find but you're not able to discover new places outside of the storyline.

Whoa, this sound great and just seriously upped my hype-level.

Mdk7

Thanks for the amazing and well detailed explanation Sir, i really appreciate!

Haunted

Well done on the thread title and the OP. Succinct with all the necessary information.

Looking forward to playing this one. Hopefully someone figures out good Dolphin settings/the Dolphin devs make a new version for this, as I heard some GAFers had trouble running it smoothly.

Last Wii game I'm going to buy, here's hoping it's a worthy denouement for the console. :D

Apenheul

Damn, I really need to repair my console to play this. For some reason my Wii can't read any DVD's...

I had this too, ordered an official cleaning kit from play-asia and used it with cleaning alcohol instead of the liquid they provide with it. Now everything works again, like it's a new system.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I have a feeling a lot of people are going to be pleasantly surprised by this game.

I think the Mass effect comparisons are pretty apt. It definitely has a bit of a ME thing going on in the combat.

Just remember to abuse command mode!

Son1x

This almost slipped under my radar! I'll buy it one of these days. I haven't bought a Wii game in a year probably but I'm pretty excited for this.

Yuterald

Got my LE import pre-ordered. Wii is ready. I'm pretty psyched for this! Importing Xenoblade was such a good move. I had an extremely memorable summer because of that game. The hype was through the roof, hah! Hope this game turns out to be a nice surprise. I doubt I'm going to like it more than Xenoblade, but we'll see.

fr3shme4t

Neo Member
I spent 2 years working on TLS doing graphics and engine programming.
So I'm glad this game finally made it out of Japan and is being received well.

Enjoy everyone!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Mistwalker isn't doing actual development tasks as far as we know and he mentioned doing programming. I'm just curious/nosy of what team exactly he was in, Cave, or whoever, what other games he worked on (RE U/DS Chronicles?) or if he never was in any of them and only worked there after they were all merged, or whatever, if that merge was why he was let go, etc...

What do you mean about mistwalker not doing development tasks? I'm confused about who made this game upon seeing two developers listed in the OP. Who did what?

Aeana

Mistwalker isn't doing actual development tasks as far as we know and he mentioned doing programming. I'm just curious/nosy of what team exactly he was in, Cave, or whoever, what other games he worked on (RE Chronicles?) or if he never was in any of them and only worked there after they were all merged, or whatever, if that merge was why he was let go, etc...

Artoon was the codeveloper for this game. Programmer credits on the game are

YUTA KAWANO
YASUNORI HIRATA
ANDREW ELLEM
BLANCHARD GUILLAUME
TAKUO MATSUSHITA
HIROSHI TANAKA
AKIHIKO TSUTAHARA
HIROFUMI KOJIMA
MASAKAZU MORI
RYO NAGASHIMA

So I assume this person is one of those people.

MBison

Does this use Wiimote functionality or can be played all on classic controller? Was gonna play on Dolphin and wondering if I needed to hook up my sensor bar.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Ahh, leave him be. It's not cool (and shouldn't be allowed) to out people on this forum

What do you mean about mistwalker not doing development tasks? I'm confused about who made this game upon seeing two developers listed in the OP. Who did what?

Mistwalker is really just an idea's factory or videogame architects, once they have a project ready to go they hire a developer to actually build the game for them.
I think it's actually an excellent way of designing videogames, but they dont seem to have the funds to hire/partner a AAA dev and so they've always tended to go to the devs from AQ interactive (artoon, cavia etc).

renitou

And we still don't know his name. What's the problem?
If someone says they worked on a game, and I look at the credits that are actually in the game, I don't see how that's doing anything wrong.

"Even if you’re following the law, you can do things where people get queasy."

Oxx

I'd say TLS would do worse than Xenoblade based on the decline of the Wii market and comparative lack of critical acclaim.

But you never know. The aesthetic seems a little more palatable to western tastes and there might be enough pockets of Sakaguchi love to surprise us.

Top Bottom