• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story |OT| Now confirmed worldwide

fr3shme4t

Neo Member
I realized when posting that it wouldn't take Sherlock Holmes to discover who I may or may not be.

To clarify stuff: Mistwalker is basically Sakaguchi-san and like 4 other people. I'm not sure what you'd call them. A production house?

The core of the Blue Dragon team (+ me + others) at Artoon (which merged with AQ Interactive half way through dev) developed the game (programming, art, level design, etc.) at the direction of Mistwalker.

Anyways, I don't want to derail this thread. Just enjoy the game everyone!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'd say TLS would do worse than Xenoblade based on the decline of the Wii market and comparative lack of critical acclaim.

But you never know. The aesthetic seems a little more palatable to western tastes and there might be enough pockets of Sakaguchi love to surprise us.

They are also taking a slightly lighter hand advertising TLS though, so I'm siding with Xenoblade outselling it.

Not that we'll probably ever know for sure.

I have a feeling a lot of people are going to be pleasantly surprised by this game.

I really hope so, but have a feeling that the general consensus will be that it's good, but not as good as Xenoblade. I played it when it came out in Japan last year and loved it, thinking nothing would touch it for the rest of the year but, even though I'm excited to play it again, thought Xenoblade made it feel more linear.

Mael

I realized when posting that it wouldn't take Sherlock Holmes to discover who I may or may not be.

To clarify stuff: Mistwalker is basically Sakaguchi-san and like 4 other people. I'm not sure what you'd call them. A production house?

The core of the Blue Dragon team (+ me + others) at Artoon (which merged with AQ Interactive half way through dev) developed the game (programming, art, level design, etc.) at the direction of Mistwalker.

Congrats on your work there!
And if you worked on YIDS I owe you a beer at least

JimboJones

Oxx

It just wouldn't be a niche Nintendo release without a whiff of a botch.

I hope importers have a better time of it than some did with Xenoblade.

Enlightened

Neo Member
I'd say TLS would do worse than Xenoblade based on the decline of the Wii market and comparative lack of critical acclaim.

But you never know. The aesthetic seems a little more palatable to western tastes and there might be enough pockets of Sakaguchi love to surprise us.

I normally don't choose games based on whether it has received critical acclaim or not. That's just the cherry on the top. Also, I don't know if you can say the Wii market has declined by much since Xenoblade's release in Europe. I'd probably go with the latter half of your post, personally. If the game looks interesting, I buy it. If I enjoy games made by a certain developer, I buy pretty much anything new he develops. You also have the fact that Sakaguchi has made many critically acclaimed FF Games, even if not everyone agrees his latest games were of that level. Just the mere fact that he created the FF series would probably help sell as many, if not more than what Xenoblade sold...and, by all means, 100K isn't exactly an impossible number to overcome. Truth of the matter is, we probably won't have actual numbers to compare so we'll probably never know.

Oxx

Yeah, the market for non-dance/party Wii games departed a long time ago. Nothing has really happened since Xenoblade to make it massively worse, but I can't imagine matters have improved either.

JimboJones

I went ahead and just cancelled from GAME just in case, someone asked on their facebook page and they simply stated "I'm afraid we won't be stocking the Limited Edition."

They didn't mention anything about preorders.

Edit: They responded to my question about preorders and confirmed that you won't receive the limited edition even if you did preorder it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I really hope so, but have a feeling that the general consensus will be that it's good, but not as good as Xenoblade. I played it when it came out in Japan last year and loved it, thinking nothing would touch it for the rest of the year but, even though I'm excited to play it again, thought Xenoblade made it feel more linear.

Because it IS linear, but there's nothing wrong with that. It takes what it is, and does it very well. My only problem being a bit of frustration with a couple of the bosses in the middle of the game (namely the
shitty dragon bosses that require that you abuse command mode to get anything done
)

You guys did a bang up job. I adored the JP version of the game. I hope it does well in EU.

NeoRausch

just checked my amazone.de account. everthing cool on the limited edition side of life.

also, just subscribed to the thread for later friendcode excange. i guess it's going to be the last time for a single game i'm gonna do this.

you will be missed "one game only"-friendcode!!! (not!)

thefro

Because it IS linear, but there's nothing wrong with that. It takes what it is, and does it very well. My only problem being a bit of frustration with a couple of the bosses in the middle of the game (namely the
shitty dragon bosses that require that you abuse command mode to get anything done
)

Yeah, I think we talked about this in the other thread, but for both those bosses
you can reflect their multi-beam attack back at them by blocking at the right time. Makes things a lot easier as that knocks them to the ground and stuns them.

I'm glad I never use anything but Amazon for my games, most reliable retailer I know. They have never cancelled anything for me, one time an item I ordered went out of stock at Amazon Germany and they sent me one from Amazon France, awesome service.

Hmm, but they are $10-15 more than the other sites. Also, isn't all the packaging in German?

Nintendo usually only does one LE package for Europe that includes a fat booklet in five languages including English, it was like that for Skyward Sword and Xenoblade, and the German USK logo on the Last Story LE box indicates it will be the same here.
Regular editions, however, only come with country-specific booklets/packaging in one language.

Enlightened

Neo Member
What do you mean about mistwalker not doing development tasks? I'm confused about who made this game upon seeing two developers listed in the OP. Who did what?

I think one would refer to Mistwalker as a design studio.

Mistwalker doesn't have the manpower to actually make games. They basically design the games(come up with story, concepts, characters, music, battle system, etc. etc) and then supervise while a second developer is doing all the programming and such. Mistwalker did the same exact thing with Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey.

It would be great if they could someday have enough manpower and money to make and publish their own games...especially the publishing part, since NoA doesn't seem very fond of bringing games over.

Aeana

Mistwalker is directly analogous to something like Armor Project, Yuji Horii's group who does the scenario, game design, etc. for Dragon Quest games. It's not a bad situation to be in, really, and I think it works pretty well in many situations. Most likely, Sakaguchi is happy with Mistwalker being as it is because it gives him a bit more freedom and allows him to choose developers who are well-suited to the game he wants to create.

Enlightened

Neo Member
Most likely, Sakaguchi is happy with Mistwalker being as it is because it gives him a bit more freedom and allows him to choose developers who are well-suited to the game he wants to create.

You have a point there. I actually do like how each Mistwalker game gives off a completely different look and feel.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Zavvi anyone?

It took Zavvi three months, one missing package, one mistakenly shipped copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and many emails before they were able to get my copy of Xenoblade to North America. I can't recommend them.

I'm glad I never use anything but Amazon for my games, most reliable retailer I know. They have never cancelled anything for me, one time an item I ordered went out of stock at Amazon Germany and they sent me one from Amazon France, awesome service.

Nintendo usually only does one LE package for Europe that includes a fat booklet in five languages including English, it was like that for Skyward Sword and Xenoblade, and the German USK logo on the Last Story LE box indicates it will be the same here.
Regular editions, however, only come with country-specific booklets/packaging in one language.
Any way to set Amazon.DE to English?

)

Oh I know, I'm saying that anyone playing Xenoblade first then Last Story will probably feel the linearity all the more.

And yeah, I hated those bosses! :p

b3b0p

Strange, my Game.co.uk order was cancelled saying no stock.

Ordered from HMV. Then wrote an email begging and pleading for it to be shipped in a box.

Big B

I'm looking forward to this one more than Xenoblade because I just played FF XII. Sooo tired of MMO format rpgs.

Top Bottom