• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story (US) |OT| One of Wii's epic last breaths.

Effect

The frame rate can get pretty bad but doesn't really bother me to much anymore. I said before and I'll say it again. If it wasn't for the frame rate I'd rank it above Xenoblade Chronicles (still love) in terms of enjoyment. I am glad these are the last major games I'm playing on the Wii instead of it just being Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. Both of these games (even counting The Last Story's frame rate issues) blow that way and I say that as a Zelda fan that has played and beat nearly all of them.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Just got to chapter 11, fighting the
pirate turtle thing
was the first real neat boss fight I've had. Everything else before that was just brute force and messy.

The jprg cliches are bothering me a lot more than in Xenoblade though. Not sure why.

deviljho

Can anyone please comment on the difficult of the game? Many of the reviews I've read say that combat is too easy because you have 5 lives for each battle. Thanks.

CorvoSol

The frame rate can get pretty bad but doesn't really bother me to much anymore. I said before and I'll say it again. If it wasn't for the frame rate I'd rank it above Xenoblade Chronicles (still love) in terms of enjoyment. I am glad these are the last major games I'm playing on the Wii instead of it just being Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. Both of these games (even counting The Last Story's frame rate issues) blow that way and I say that as a Zelda fan that has played and beat nearly all of them.

I think I liked Skyward Sword more, but I agree that Last Story and Xenoblade are a wonderful way to end the Wii's run.

Can anyone please comment on the difficult of the game? Many of the reviews I've read say that combat is too easy because you have 5 lives for each battle. Thanks.

You'll be glad you have five lives later on in the game. Early to mid game you will probably never die, in the later levels it's not uncommon to get two shotted by some enemies.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Just got to chapter 11, fighting the
pirate turtle thing
was the first real neat boss fight I've had. Everything else before that was just brute force and messy.

The jprg cliches are bothering me a lot more than in Xenoblade though. Not sure why.

I hated that fight. It probably wouldn't have been as bad if the enemy telegraphed its spin move. Or maybe it does and I just didn't notice.

I really appreciated having those lives, I was dying a lot at the beginning. Around the middle of the game now and I'm not really using them as much. Haven't lost all 5 in a fight though, so I guess it does make it too easy considering how much I was sucking early on.

JosiahB

No, during the story mode. Somehow I ended up with two other party members, we're all at level 35. I'm considering restarting the game.

I don't remember my party members actually helping much at all in that fight (other than Mirania, of course). Just charge Burst to max and release to kill all the tentacles (at least it did with me, that might vary with level). Then use Vertical Slash to attack the head. Also, if Lowell is in your party, command him to use his Berserker skill so that he doesn't cast Ice (for some stupid reason, there's no way to command him to stop :/).

No, during the story mode. Somehow I ended up with two other party members, we're all at level 35. I'm considering restarting the game.

Do you have the sword Lapis Lazuli? You should of gotten it somewhere before that point. I think it's from one of the chests you come across. It does 5x Burst damage, so all you need to do is charge the burst after 3 hits and release it to kill all the tentacles at once.

Makes the fight much easier.

I think he keeps reviving even if you beat him again?

Nah
he stays down for good the second time, the mooks keep flowing in forever though so you may as well just leave.
It's kinda sad that that fight has the only really jamming battle music, too. The whole soundtrack was pretty forgettable, actually.

Well, I think I've done everything in the game before having to start over. Had a great time. Sad to see it end. I hope there's a prequel or sequel to this. Would love more adventures with these same party members.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I think my game glitched.
Ch 19 underground passage. After killing the spider, and keeping Horace alive, I've opened up the next room with some stone monsters...only nothing happens. Horace is stuck behind one of the stone blocks in the previous room. He'll upgrade my equipment, but he won't move. There aren't any search points in the next room so what ever is supposed to trigger the next event fucked up. Which means I need to go back to my previous save.
What a load of shit.

Penguin

So far the game started off on a high note, slowly declined then kind of middled out, now it's really picking up steam with.. well when stuff starts going down

Esura

Banned
Is anyone trying to make the characters look like their artwork? Down to the color and right articles of clothing?

Cause, man, those artworks are glorious. Only one I'm having trouble with making them look like their official art is Mirania.

Is anyone trying to make the characters look like their artwork? Down to the color and right articles of clothing?

Cause, man, those artworks are glorious. Only one I'm having trouble with making them look like their official art is Mirania.

I did that for Zael. What armor does Syrenne need to look like her artwork? There were a few of them actually that I couldn't figure out.

Esura

Banned
I did that for Zael. What armor does Syrenne need to look like her artwork? There were a few of them actually that I couldn't figure out.

Upgrade Hunter's Armor and go to the Color menu and remove her chain mail. Then adjust the colors of the pieces to those of the artwork.

For Mirania, Heavy Armor top (remove the armor pieces) and Stealth bottom.

Lowell, his default Feather armor. Just remove armor pieces.

Yurick, the Brave top and bottom.

The white dress Calista got in the artwork isn't in game. Well, it is actually (Calista's Ballgown) but you can't change it's blue color.

Now the only one I'm having trouble with is Dagran. But screw him anyway. :(

The more you upgrade those pieces the more they start resembling the artwork a bit. Also add extraneous armor pieces too.

Upgrade Hunter's Armor and go to the Color menu and remove her chain mail. Then adjust the colors of the pieces to those of the artwork.

For Mirania, Heavy Armor top (remove the armor pieces) and Stealth bottom.

Lowell, his default Feather armor. Just remove armor pieces.

Yurick, the Brave top and bottom.

The white dress Calista got in the artwork isn't in game. Well, it is actually (Calista's Ballgown) but you can't change it's blue color.

Now the only one I'm having trouble with is Dagran. But screw him anyway. :(

The more you upgrade those pieces the more they start resembling the artwork a bit. Also add extraneous armor pieces too.

Thanks. I really liked how upgrading your armor unlocked more cosmetic options. This is something I would like to see included in more RPGs.

Also the party banter.

As for artwork weapons, I almost didn't want to upgrade Zael's Chaos Blade but the upgrade was too good to pass up.

This game really deserves more attention. The online is lacking in players! I remember when the game first came out in Japan you could jump online anytime and get full rooms!

Sorry if this has been asked to death but I don't want to reread through the thread and spoil things, but...

What's the best way to play this in people's opinions -- Wii Remote with Nunchuk or Classic Controller?

RedSwirl

At Chapter 17 so far, and this game is going surprisingly briskly. I'm having characters regularly level up, some times in consecutive battles, and some of them gaining up to four levels from a single battle.

Overall this game to me seems like a typical JRPG made with current generation design trappings - much more linear and scripted than Xenoblade, pretty similar to something like Gears honestly. Didn't expect to get so many of the typical JRPG tropes in this game either. Character designs are really cool though.

rpmurphy

Really late posting since it was quite a wait to be able to play the game, but it turns out I never got the soundtrack CD because the GameStop clerk that gave me the game didn't know there was a pre-order version. I didn't know that the package would look different and assumed that it would be inside the box. Gah.

I guess I learned my lesson... still pretty sad though about the whole situation. :[

The game though is pretty ok, not quite getting in tune with the combat yet but I think I'll figure out how it works. Played some online co-op as well and that was funny.

I confess that I haven't started my copy of The Last Story yet, but I just read 1UP's review and the opening paragraph is one of the most beautiful descriptions of the emotional impact of games that I've ever read, so I thought I'd share:

1UP said:
20 hours seems like a ridiculously short amount of time, especially when it comes to caring about someone. Making a friend or falling in love takes much longer than that. 20 hours is nothing compared to the length of a life; yet games, at times, can compress so many emotions into a handful of meaningful minutes that once you have completed your adventure and the credits roll, you feel like a little part of your heart has gone -- that you've said farewell to a friend you've known forever.

The Last Story is one of these rare games.
Makes me want to get right on w/my playthrough! I told myself that I'd finish Xenoblade first though...

Zornica

Banned
Makes me want to get right on w/my playthrough! I told myself that I'd finish Xenoblade first though...

you are better off doing that anyway, xb fits that discription way more than tls ever could. and you shouldn't rush through xenoblade, especially not for tls.
if you wanna play tls, take a break and play it now, but DON'T make your experience of the better of both games suffer for it.

I agree with the review in that when I reached the end with nothing left to do, I did not want it to end at all -- simply cause I didn't want to part with the characters. Now I'm replaying it, even though I had no intention to!

Ath

I think that 1up review really captured why I liked The Last Story so much. I really cared about the characters and I wanted to see their journey through. The battle system being such a pleasure to play helped as well.

For JRPGs, the cast is a huge factor in my enjoyment of the game. I liked the entire main cast of The Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles, while I couldn't care about the cast of Final Fantasy XIII so I never finished it (To be fair that's due to my PS3 getting stolen before I could finish it...but I'd stalled for a few months at that point anyway and I don't have the desire to start it again).

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Man, the people able to play this are lucky.
I rented it from Gamefly, put it in my Wii, and my Wii is unable to read the disc. It's not a problem with the game either, my Wii can barely read my new copy of Xenoblade (it takes like 3-4 tries, and it can crash during play). I'd get a new one, but Wii U is in two months so I can just play it on that.
At least I can just buy the game from them at a reduced price for future use. *sighs* Still...

Cheska

WTF at this boss battle. Does anyone have any suggestions for the late boss
Mithra from Chapter 34
? I've been at this for an hour and can't seem to get it down below 1/2 life before either I die too many times or the person who's magic I'm supposed to use dies.

Edit: Nevermind, beat it :D

WTF at this boss battle. Does anyone have any suggestions for the late boss
Mithra from Chapter 34
? I've been at this for an hour and can't seem to get it down below 1/2 life before either I die too many times or the person who's magic I'm supposed to use dies.

Edit: Nevermind, beat it :D

For that you're supposed to use Long Silence in order to get the boss to come down and fight or parry its silence attack back at him to lure it down.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Okay! New recruit here. I've been so backlogged (I just finally beat Uncharted 3, ahem), and was going to do Skyrim or Kingdom's of Amular next... but screw it. I have both The Last Story and Xenoblade staring me in the face. Decided to start with The Last Story.

I'm kind of excited. The general consensus is poor on the game, no? Well, I'm like 15 min in so far, and the voice acting is great, the game looks pretty good, and the combat seems intriguing. I hope the story holds up, I miss Sakaguchi.

Zornica

Banned
I think the general consensus is that the game is good with a vocal minority trashing it because it didn't compare to Xenoblade for them apparently.

nope, the general consensus is, that the game is very unpolished and borderline bad but at the same time incredibly fun. Voice acting is superb but everything else is kinda meh. It's like a good bmovie. It's shit but you can't stop watching it.
The game being bad has nothing to do with other rpgs (and I use the term very loosely, because it isn't very much rpg in it) being better.

I am glad we all got to play it, but I won't be bitter if it doesn't pop up in any "best games ever" lists (except if it's best voice acting ever ofc)

edit: to be clear: this is not entirely my own opinion, that's what most people in the JP and EU OT agreed on.

Cheska

Aaaaaand done! Personally had a blast throughout the entire thing, and I'd heavily vote it as having one of the best casts in a RPG. I especially loved how they handled things in the end,
the wedding and how the game continued on for a few more chapters despite already beating the final boss.
. 20-30 hour RPG's are now my personal sweet spot so this was the perfect length, and the pacing was nice. The only complaint I had was how ugly the game was, and not necessarily graphically but just bland. There was barely any color to the levels, and I felt like I was playing Gears of War all over again. However, other than that I would say that it was one of the better games I've played this year. I had initially imported the CE and remember being pissed that the day my copy shipped the game was announced to be localized. Now I couldn't be happier that I got the CE and an American copy, since I'd have been even more upset to have missed out on such a special set of a great game.

Kazerei

Banned
I'm ready to start this game now! I cleared through some backlog, and now I've got time with my Wii for The Last Story and a bit of Kirby in between.

Is there anything I should know before I begin?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Just did Chapter 7, the Stargazer scene. It was great! Beautifully directed. So Sakaguchi. These characters are wonderful and refreshing. One of the best jrpg's casts in ages in the genre.

Top Bottom