• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story (US) |OT| One of Wii's epic last breaths.

Giolon

I'm on Chapter
now. I feel like this game just drags on too long after the point of no return. The climax was
Zael and Callista's wedding escape
and the game has dragged on for like 2? 3? 4? hours since then.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm ready to start this game now! I cleared through some backlog, and now I've got time with my Wii for The Last Story and a bit of Kirby in between.

Is there anything I should know before I begin?
Missable chapters; keep an eye out for them. Read the unspoilered parts in this post when you get to about Chapter 13, and then read the spoiler-tagged parts after Chapter 19.

Do some of the sidequests when you're in town because they can give you stat boosts and agility boosts are always awesome.

Cheska said:
The only complaint I had was how ugly the game was, and not necessarily graphically but just bland. There was barely any color to the levels, and I felt like I was playing Gears of War all over again.
That's definitely one of the problems I had with the game outside of the framerate and some little things. The game really needed more colour. You get to the
Stargazing Tower
and think, "oh hey, colour!! :D" and then you're back to greys and browns again outside of whatever dyes you decided to put on your party's armours.

Kazerei

Banned
Missable chapters; keep an eye out for them. Read the unspoilered parts in this post when you get to about Chapter 13, and then read the spoiler-tagged parts after Chapter 19.

Do some of the sidequests when you're in town because they can give you stat boosts and agility boosts are always awesome.

Thanks

Zornica

Banned
I'm ready to start this game now! I cleared through some backlog, and now I've got time with my Wii for The Last Story and a bit of Kirby in between.

Is there anything I should know before I begin?

don't waste your time and money on upgrading armors. weapons have priority. Armor upgrades have minor influence on the game.

RedSwirl

Dagran's last form
is kinda kicking my ass. First fight of the game with any real challenge in my experience. I can actually get all the way up to his third form with all five of everyone's lives intact (we're all at around level 56), but once we get there the damage is just fucking ridiculous. Wiped out all my party's lives in probably two minutes.

Also, I'd totally forgotten Uematso scored this game until I got to that fight.

Dagran's last form
is kinda kicking my ass. First fight of the game with any real challenge in my experience. I can actually get all the way up to his third form with all five of everyone's lives intact (we're all at around level 56), but once we get there the damage is just fucking ridiculous. Wiped out all my party's lives in probably two minutes.

I think I was around level 63 at that point. All I did was use everyone's spirit moves when I could and used Zael's Gale (ha a rhyme.) on Yurick's and Calista's magic circles. Beat him my first try. Not sure if you need more levels or a new strategy. Good luck.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Yah still digging it. Combat is really interesting, but seems pretty easy so far. Why would you NOT Gather, I haven't seen a situation in which you wouldn't want to do it? What's the benefit of not? There is so much more to gain from always having it on.

Is it more efficient to play with Manual or Auto attacking?
Right now I have Manual, but does that make it too easy?

Effect

Finally got back to playing after taking a break. Got to the first point last night where I was actually becoming angry with the game. I up to the part where you finally learn about the
Outsider when you are under the castle
. The damn things you have to fight in this section are just way to fast. You have to gather/burst to fight them but it wouldn't be a problem I think if you weren't in the location you are. The last group was better but there were so many. First time where I've had to respawn from a checkpoint twice in a row. I really hope that's the last I see of those things.

From where I'm at, to those that have beaten the game, how far am I into the game?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got back to playing after taking a break. Got to the first point last night where I was actually becoming angry with the game. I up to the part where you finally learn about the
Outsider when you are under the castle
. The damn things you have to fight in this section are just way to fast. You have to gather/burst to fight them but it wouldn't be a problem I think if you weren't in the location you are. The last group was better but there were so many. First time where I've had to respawn from a checkpoint twice in a row. I really hope that's the last I see of those things.

From where I'm at, to those that have beaten the game, how far am I into the game?

I think the point of no return is coming up after that, but it still seems to go on forever even after that.

And those enemies weren't that bad, I didn't have any trouble apart from what you mentioned - due to the design of the area sometimes they would freeze somewhere I couldn't hit them.

And I think I kind of screwed up. Most of my armor is at +5. But the game stopped giving me silver things to upgrade and started giving out gold ones like candy. So I have like 4 pieces of armor at like +8 (and I used some to upgrade some weapons) and the rest are all stuck at +5 because I can't upgrade then anymore, and I don't know if I can get back to an area to get any of the silver things.

Finished the game a couple weeks back now I think...it was awesome. Sadly it's not as good as Xenoblade, but it's such a satisfying experience anyways. I clocked in at a bit over 19 hours.

I dunno about anybody else, but I thought the plot was completely predictable about 30% into the game. It's still enjoyable, but I'm surprised that all the characters were completely oblivious to what was happening.

I can agree that the progression for armor upgrade materials is pretty bad too, once the gold ones drop, they drop almost exclusively. The only way to get more of the lesser ones is to run around town and hope to pick some up here and there.

I'll probably end up replaying it though, it's such a fun game.

Javier

Chapter 38:
Just when I get to finally kill the asshole that is Jirall, he mutters his final words and I feel like a horrible monster. I guess that was the point, but still...

Doorman

Finished the game a couple weeks back now I think...it was awesome. Sadly it's not as good as Xenoblade, but it's such a satisfying experience anyways. I clocked in at a bit over 19 hours.

I dunno about anybody else, but I thought the plot was completely predictable about 30% into the game. It's still enjoyable, but I'm surprised that all the characters were completely oblivious to what was happening.

I can agree that the progression for armor upgrade materials is pretty bad too, once the gold ones drop, they drop almost exclusively. The only way to get more of the lesser ones is to run around town and hope to pick some up here and there.

I'll probably end up replaying it though, it's such a fun game.

I think it's made incredibly obvious for you when for basically the entire latter half of the game or more
Dagran is never in your party and nobody seems to find that odd or even seem to really pay it any attention. It also made it hard to feel sympathetic for Dagran in the end like the game seems to want you to, when he winds up feeling really unimportant to the rest of the cast once you get out of jail.

Still, even while most of the story was predictable, I thought it was told well. Told well aside from the hastily-constructed love story, at least.

So I just finished this and absolutely loved it. Amazing game and probably my last one on the wii. I don't know if anyone even bothers to look on the community side or will even see this post, but if for some reason you were on the fence about this game I'd fully recommend playing it. It was tons of fun!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, for all the bad I heard about this game, I was very pleasantly surprised upon finally playing it. Even if there are cliches all over the place, even if the game isn't blooming with colour, even if the music isn't as memorable as Uematsu's other soundtracks, and even if there are missable chapters, I had a ton of fun with it and it's clear that this game had a lot of love and care put into it. I felt that there were some parallels with Final Fantasy in some small instances and some characterization. It has quite a bit of quests and the optional chapters are worth seeking out, imo, especially the ones that expand on some characters like Horace or some of your party members like Mirania or Yurick. Battle system was fun, especially on manual, but some stuff could be better (ex: lessening # of lives, adding difficulty levels, and some of the attacks need to allow the player to stop time for better positioning, etc.).

Some parts of it need work and it's rather flawed, but I'm willing to look past it for enjoyment. A lot of the characters have decent personalities and the voicework is pretty good (honestly, I wouldn't be against hearing this cast in a videogame again; a lot of the stuff was well-directed).

And going back to the beginning of the thread, it is possible to like both Skyward Sword and The Last Story. :p

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Five lives felt like a bit too much early on because I was horrible at the game and really didn't deserve to win some of the battles I did.

But later on it almost felt necessary. Damn enemies with 1 hit KOs.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Finally started this up. 4 hours in and I can definitely say my favourite part of the game is colouring and clothing options. Story is sort of bad in a hilarious enjoyable way, and I don't really find combat that engaging. I'll playthrough and have fun with this, but I'm feeling it won't come anywhere close to my enjoyment of Xenoblade.

Korigama

Just finished this last night. Wasn't too sure what I would think of it when I first got it, but I enjoyed it more than I might have expected, certainly more than anything that Square Enix has done with Final Fantasy since Sakaguchi's departure (great cast, interesting story, fun combat that's unconventional combat for the genre, and a nice soundtrack). Deserves more credit than it wound up getting, even if the lack of attention can be attributed to being overshadowed by Xenoblade to a degree.
Dagran's last form

Really late response on my part, but the song from the fight with
Zesha, the second of the Gurak twins
in that same late chapter had a very Uematsu sound to it as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIR2w33GkHE

Bladenic

Got the game Thursday from the Amazon sale. I'm sure to be beating a dead horse but damn the packaging is gorgeous.

Just finished chapter 6. I'm having fun with the battles, but everything else seems sort of average. The characters and VA are really good thus far, but the rest hasn't grabbed me or anything. Are the various quests timed? And is it worth doing most of them? It's a bit annoying because there doesn't seem to be any quest logs or whatnot. I also know of the missable optional chapters, but I have DarkSchala's post bookmarked so I should be good there.

And unless I'm mistaken, there's no way to direct your party correct? Some sort of positioning would be nice, for mages especially.

Zornica

Banned
Just finished chapter 6. I'm having fun with the battles, but everything else seems sort of average. The characters and VA are really good thus far, but the rest hasn't grabbed me or anything. Are the various quests timed? And is it worth doing most of them? It's a bit annoying because there doesn't seem to be any quest logs or whatnot. I also know of the missable optional chapters, but I have DarkSchala's post bookmarked so I should be good there.

if by quests you mean stuff that townspeople want you to do, then no, it's not timed, but besides the one guy giving you a dragon armor it's also not really worth doing in my opinion. Real sidequests on the other hand, the ones that are actual chapters, are great and you should not miss them!
If you think everything besides VA/characters and battles is average, you'r
probably right. So you better not expect a great story.

Bladenic

I tried searching on YouTube for a scene that I apparently missed that was optional. I get the final fucking boss spoiled for me. In Chapter 11, did not see that coming even remotely as of yet. Holy shit, I am dumb and MAD. Ugh.

OMG, best sidequest ever. It was the one where the guy is looking for a master archer. Naturally, I
aimed for one of the dudes with the Charm Arrow. I wasn't expecting it to actually work, but it did! I was giggling like an idiot. I reloaded since the guy disappeared, and I want to see everyone else's lines.

Guy I shot: "Hmmmm... what an attractive young man"

Arrow dude freaks out.

Guy I shot chases him while screaming: "Let's work out till dawn!" or something like that, haha.

I do have a question, actually. Are the blunt weapons just to sell? They're described as being useless, but are worth a ton. But I always keep them just in case there's some trick to them.

Bladenic

OMG, best sidequest ever. It was the one where the guy is looking for a master archer. Naturally, I
aimed for one of the dudes with the Charm Arrow. I wasn't expecting it to actually work, but it did! I was giggling like an idiot. I reloaded since the guy disappeared, and I want to see everyone else's lines.

Guy I shot: "Hmmmm... what an attractive young man"

Arrow dude freaks out.

Guy I shot chases him while screaming: "Let's work out till dawn!" or something like that, haha.

I do have a question, actually. Are the blunt weapons just to sell? They're described as being useless, but are worth a ton. But I always keep them just in case there's some trick to them.

I've been selling mine. Don't see any point to keeping them, and they're worth a ton of money.

I wish more people who got the game on the Amazon sale would post here, topic is dead.

Anyway I did Chapter 20 and started 21. Game is really fun. It's killing me that I got the final boss spoiled for me, but the plot is becoming sort of intriguing now. The characters are what carry it though. I'm sad that Syrene and Lowell were absent for so long, especially Lowell since he's my favorite. I really like Zael and Calista though, their great VAs definitely help. Yurick became so much better now too, he was insufferable earlier.

I'm a Lowell fan, too, pal. I like your taste.

The game really is a lot of fun when it comes to battles, but there have been some cases of frustration because of the camera and the cover system. Sometimes the camera just goes psycho on me if there are big enemies around, which doesn't let me see shit. And, of course, trying to roll during these instances and realizing you're just taking cover is annoying. Gah. It happens very rarely, though (so far), which is why it's extremely jarring.

Also, Bladenic, you should be really close to the sidequest I was talking about. Hopefully you don't miss it. Something tells me you'd enjoy it. Location, just in case you're curious (and since I'm not exactly sure when it triggers):
second floor of the tavern. It's the two guys on the round table by the save point

As for me, I finished up chapter 24 last night. I could've sworn I jumped from 22 to 24, though. I really don't remember seeing chapter 23. Am I going crazy? Anyway, the boss in chapter 24 was pretty annoying, honestly. I mean, goddamn. The boss was the
vampire thing that can only be made vulnerable by silver bullets. Chasing it around wasn't very fun

Bladenic

I'm a Lowell fan, too, pal. I like your taste.

The game really is a lot of fun when it comes to battles, but there have been some cases of frustration because of the camera and the cover system. Sometimes the camera just goes psycho on me if there are big enemies around, which doesn't let me see shit. And, of course, trying to roll during these instances and realizing you're just taking cover is annoying. Gah. It happens very rarely, though (so far), which is why it's extremely jarring.

Also, Bladenic, you should be really close to the sidequest I was talking about. Hopefully you don't miss it. Something tells me you'd enjoy it. Location, just in case you're curious (and since I'm not exactly sure when it triggers):
second floor of the tavern. It's the two guys on the round table by the save point

As for me, I finished up chapter 24 last night. I could've sworn I jumped from 22 to 24, though. I really don't remember seeing chapter 23. Am I going crazy? Anyway, the boss in chapter 24 was pretty annoying, honestly. I mean, goddamn. The boss was the
vampire thing that can only be made vulnerable by silver bullets. Chasing it around wasn't very fun

That's actually chapter 20. I did it last night. It's an optional one. And yeah, he was very annoying. The invulnerability wasn't annoying but the running away sure was.

olimpia84

Finally got around to start this after beating Xenoblade. I think I'm in Chapter 5 and even though I barely played this I'm already enjoying it.

Heh. I just discovered a man that tells you how many people you've bumped into, how many times you've hit your head on sign posts, fallen, etc., and gives you items for certain amounts. I'm happy the game keeps track of that in some way.

Playing this on Wii just gets me excited to play it on Dolphin for a future playthrough.

Zornica

Banned

chapter 23 is probably optional then, so you can miss it if you continue the story to a certain point. I am not sure where 23 was, but talking to named and important people around the tavern, the castle and the weapon shop guy should help

edit: chapter 23 is not optional, my bad.
20,21,24 and 25 are optional. do not talk to Therius unless you intend to miss them.

Bladenic

Okay, I'm about to start chapter 32. I did the optional sewer battle (the one against 3 super strong enemies), got the guardian blade. Is there anything else worth looking into at this point before I initiate the point of no return? I got 2 threads and one is for Calista's Ballgown, which I have, and one for her dress, which I do not. Did I miss it somehow?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So I just get to chapter 19 and end up seeking my way to the spider.

After I kill the spider, my team freezes and I no longer get the option to seek the walls.

I then reset to try it again, and it reverts me back to the save point. However, this time, I STILL can't seek a weak point on the walls :(. I'm trapped.

Anybody else have this problem? Is my save file glitched?

olimpia84

So I just get to chapter 19 and end up seeking my way to the spider.

After I kill the spider, my team freezes and I no longer get the option to seek the walls.

I then reset to try it again, and it reverts me back to the save point. However, this time, I STILL can't seek a weak point on the walls :(. I'm trapped.

Anybody else have this problem? Is my save file glitched?

I beat that chapter today and didn't recall my team getting stuck. Usually you have to seek a weak wall and let Horace open it but there are instances in that chapter were there are some doors that you can open normally and one part were you have to check a tomb to activate a boss fight.

Just made it up to Ch. 19 or so today myself after an epic playthrough(only had 3 hours logged prior). This game is awesome. So far I'm liking it more than Xenoblade which I've beaten and fleshed out(200 hours) and love. Hope TLS keeps up everything that it's doing. This is a blast. Lisa is up there with Elly(Xenogears) and Celes(FFVI) as one of my favorite videogame babes. Love whomever is voicing her too.

Falcs

Banned
Finally finished this game. Really took my time with it. Took me 33 hours all up. Loved every hour of it. Probably the best RPG I've played since the SNES!!
The story was good and the characters... damn! Just loved them all!
End game spoilers -
I really enjoyed the extra optional chapters at the end after you beat the last boss. Once that whole thing with Dagran was over I felt like the game was finished. But I could still see some of their lives go on through the extra chapters. Such an awesome game.

I'm moving onto Xenoblade now. I really hope I like it as much as this.

Finally finished this game. Really took my time with it. Took me 33 hours all up. Loved every hour of it. Probably the best RPG I've played since the SNES!!
The story was good and the characters... damn! Just loved them all!
End game spoilers -
I really enjoyed the extra optional chapters at the end after you beat the last boss. Once that whole thing with Dagran was over I felt like the game was finished. But I could still see some of their lives go on through the extra chapters. Such an awesome game.

I'm moving onto Xenoblade now. I really hope I like it as much as this.

I think you will.

Xenoblade is different from The Last Story but at the same time it's amazing in so many ways.

I have a feeling you'll enjoy it as much as you did TLS.

TunaLover

I´m on my second plythrough and I think it´s where the game battles really shine. The first playthrough the game resembles more a button smasher brawler, I was dissapointed how easy was defeat enemies and bosses because I could win without using magic circles and specials at all, the second playthrough is how the game difilcuty should, it really challenge your abilities, you need perform counters, make magic circles often to avoid your party die, because in increased difficulty you need their support, bosses exposse a pattern that you need to know in order to defeat them, as usual you will need magic circles to increase your weapon attack, or silence enemy summons.

Second playthrough is like a completely new game.

Just beat the game as part of the $8 Amazon crew. I should have paid full price. Game was spectacular. I like it more than Xenoblade which was also a great game. The characters were pretty damn refreshing in TLS as well.They were definitely the highlight.

So, uh, this is a really good game.

On chapter 25 or something, I don't know,
somebody was just assassinated WHO COULD HAVE DONE IT I TOTALLY CANNOT SEE THE TWIST COMING
. But I'm just impressed.

The locales/world is not particularly impressive (it's just... small), and the graphics are even less so... but the characters, music, story, voice acting, and pacing are all top notch. I just wish I could play as someone other than Zael!
minor story bits aside

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So I picked this up 2 weeks ago and have been playing... currently on chapter 39, seems that I don't have much more to do
this chapter, final chapter, then a few post game sidequests
... about 25 hours in or so.

Honestly, I am EXTREMELYdisappointed with this game. Loved Blue Dragon, loved Lost Odyssey, and the previous OpRainfall game, Xenoblade, was my GOTG. But this...? After wanting for it to come to the US so badly I feel kinda burned.

Nothing about the story really grabbed me, apart from
the wedding escape scene
and a lot of the plot points were pretty predictable. I do like the characters (especially Syrenne, she's a pretty unique archetype in RPGs), especially the character design. High point of the game for me. Graphics look kinda bland and indistinct, especially compared to the lush worlds of a lot of other RPGs this gen. And music so far is completely forgettable.

But no, its the gameplay that I don't really like. It really feels like Sakaguchi was desperate to make a western RPG... everything feels super-linear even more so than FFXIII (at least this game has a big town to explore with lots of sidequests) and they had to put in that cover mechanic... you will be walking while characters are talking to you, then hit the invisible tripwire into a cutscene that will not only . Really feels like Mass Effect 2/3, except those games felt mechanically better. The combat just feels wonky, half the time I can't trigger Gale to diffuse the magic circles (an otherwise decent idea), I will stick to the wrong covers (also no way to turn around covers at a 45 degree angle?). Character AI keeps getting themselves killed and will do stupid shit like cast spells that heal enemies even after they acknowledge the enemy is strong against particular spell. The framerate is horrific and the camera is even worse, half the time I feel I'm just mashing A with no idea what's going on (and the best is... I usually win). Every time I try to play tactfully, the game engine's glitches fuck me over.

Yeah, so this game really feels like a bad attempt at making a western game to me. May rank down there with Eternal Sonata as the worst RPG I played this gen.

NeOak

So i just got a sealed LE of this from Gamestop. Do I play it or do i return it?

Also, CCP or Wiimote+'chuck?

I don't really have any of the gameplay complaints that djtiesto voiced above, I think the battle system works pretty well. Playing with the classic controller pro (that I got with Xenoblade!), if that makes any difference.

This game strikes me as being sort of like what Resonance of Fate was trying to be (though more serious, and with swords instead of guns!), but actually good. And with terrible graphics, but it's a somewhat obviously under-budgeted Wii game, so what do you expect.

I guess it's not that much like RoF, given the qualifiers above. Maybe it's what I wanted RoF to be

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I don't really have any of the gameplay complaints that djtiesto voiced above, I think the battle system works pretty well. Playing with the classic controller pro (that I got with Xenoblade!), if that makes any difference.

This game strikes me as being sort of like what Resonance of Fate was trying to be (though more serious, and with swords instead of guns!), but actually good. And with terrible graphics, but it's a somewhat obviously under-budgeted Wii game, so what do you expect.

I guess it's not that much like RoF, given the qualifiers above. Maybe it's what I wanted RoF to be

And the funny thing is, RoF was one of my favorite RPGs of this gen... Up to the final chapter now. Will probably finish this weekend then give Fortune Summoners or VLR a shot.

Falcs

Banned
And the funny thing is, RoF was one of my favorite RPGs of this gen... Up to the final chapter now. Will probably finish this weekend then give Fortune Summoners or VLR a shot.
I have to agree with Elfforkusu. I loved the gameplay in this game. Didn't have any problems with it. Each to his own I guess. I also used the classic controller though. I don't think I would have enjoyed playing with the Wii remote. What are you using djtiesto? Although I guess it doesn't really make much difference with some of the issues that you're experiencing.

So i just got a sealed LE of this from Gamestop. Do I play it or do i return it?

Also, CCP or Wiimote+'chuck?

You MUST play this game! It's great! And I would recommend the classic controller with MANUAL attack mode.

Game over man, game over!

Just under 24 hours. Good lord, that final dungeon crawl was ridiculously long.
6+ hours of continuous dungeons?
Who does that in an RPG!? I don't really mind, but egads.

I stand by my previous assessment: I liked it quite a bit. Definitely a different take on story-based games than we usually see, and the game felt small as a result (in sort of the opposite way that Chrono Trigger feels big, despite being no longer as a game), but this was totally worth the money. Great characters
(I especially liked how there were basically no "villains". Just characters with a different perspective. Well, apart from Gannondorf, but he got clowned anyway so who cares)
, solid story, solid battle mechanics, solid (albeit very small) world. The graphics are mediocre as previously noted, but they did do a great job with the facial animations, which was neat.

I just wish I'd discovered manual attack mode sooner.

...what's Mistwalker up to these days? Wikipedia says some random iPhone games I'll never play, but I hope they put out another RPG soon-ish. The pedigree shows.

Kevtones

Something must be wrong with me but I'm loving this game. I'm home for xmas playing on a CRT with great color and the game looks REALLY nice.

Story is yeah, battles are a little imprecise, but the game has a lot behind it. Feels like genuine effort went into it.

Love the pacing too.

Falcs

Banned
Something must be wrong with me but I'm loving this game. I'm home for xmas playing on a CRT with great color and the game looks REALLY nice.

Story is yeah, battles are a little imprecise, but the game has a lot behind it. Feels like genuine effort went into it.

Love the pacing too.

Nothing wrong with you, man. It's an awesome game.

Top Bottom