• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story (US) |OT| One of Wii's epic last breaths.

The same cannot be said for pigs.

Well, it's their own fault for being so damned delicious.

Many thanks for those quick answers H.Protagonist, that very nice of you! :)

Can't wait to get the game myself.

Sure. Not a problem. I usually hang out in OT, but occasionally I meander over into Gaming when I hear my name being called. :)

my amazon statement says Delivery Estimate: Friday August 17, 2012

edit: @ H.Protagonist: tell xSeed people that i said thanks for giving us this game :)

I will. We're happy when you're happy, so let's all be happy. ^_^

She is XSEED people!

Heeheehee...

Dynedom

To be honest, I can better relate with a 4/10 review than with a 9/10 one. Last Story is a decent game, very flawed but fun. A solid 7/10 in my book. I can understand why someone would give at an 8, but there are so damn many flaws in the game that anything above that is rather ridiculous.

Yep. Game is a fun distraction but it's not something I have any interest in really playing ever again. Definitely not one of the "all-time great" jRPG's. This is even taking out the technical problems.

Also, I know opinions are like assholes, etc and I can see people enjoying this game more than most jRPG's this gen (but that's setting the bar low anyway) but I will say this:

If you think The Last Story has a better OST than Xenoblade, you are out of your mind. I'm not even a huge Mitsuda/Shimomura mark (if anything, I like Uematsu more) but there is seriously more well-written and memorable music in the first 2-3 hours of Xenoblade than there is in the entirety of The Last Story.

Hero

The frustration is understandable, but we really do appreciate everyone's patience/support of the title. People have had some choice words for me over twitter/FB (-_-) and I just want to assure as many as I can that we're not, in fact, doing this to ruin lives and kill puppies.

As for my role at XSEED, I'm the Senior Editor. I handle the text in the games (in addition to our translator, Wyrdwad, who posts here sometimes). I also moonlight as the community manager on top of that, so I run the twitter/FB, write blogs and do interviews, etc. My role on TLS was very minor, though, as the localization was already done. I had input on packaging/marketing stuff for it, but that's about it.

Yeah, it's always frustrating to not get what you want when you expected it but people just needed to put down their pitchforks and torches and take a breath. :D Sorry to hear that you had to endure harsh comments on social media. I used to want to be a CM for a company but I realize it's probably a lot of hard work dealing with angry people in the nicest, most polite way possible.

Cool to hear about your role at XSEED. Any chance of you guys doing the same work on Pandora's Tower? Is The Last Story an XSEED test game for Wii owners? :p

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If you think The Last Story has a better OST than Xenoblade, you are out of your mind. I'm not even a huge Mitsuda/Shimomura mark (if anything, I like Uematsu more) but there is seriously more well-written and memorable music in the first 2-3 hours of Xenoblade than there is in the entirety of The Last Story.

ACE+ played a bigger role in the OST than either of them (and Mitsuda only did the vocal theme). And they did an amazing job.

I'm hoping for the best from Last Story's OST but now I'm kind of concerned.

Cool to hear about your role at XSEED. Any chance of you guys doing the same work on Pandora's Tower? Is The Last Story an XSEED test game for Wii owners? :p

Her answer is probably more meaningful than mine (unless she just can't say anything) but so far their line seems to be no, based on this Kotaku interview.

Berry told me they have no plans to pursue games like Pandora's Tower[...]

Dynedom

ACE+ played a bigger role in the OST than either of them (and Mitsuda only did the vocal theme). And they did an amazing job.

I'm hoping for the best from Last Story's OST but now I'm kind of concerned.

Yeah that's what is so crazy. I think Shimomura was responsible for some of the more ambient pieces but ACE+ crushed a lot of the OST. I was really impressed. Xenoblade has some of my favorite battle themes ALL IN ONE GAME. Can't remember the last jRPG I played that achieved that.

That being said (as this is a TLS thread), The Last Story does have some great tracks. I hope no one thinks I hated the entire soundtrack. :(

Seik

Banned
Yeah that's what is so crazy. I think Shimomura was responsible for some of the more ambient pieces but ACE+ crushed a lot of the OST. I was really impressed. Xenoblade has some of my favorite battle themes ALL IN ONE GAME. Can't remember the last jRPG I played that achieved that.

That being said (as this is a TLS thread), The Last Story does have some great tracks. I hope no one thinks I hated the entire soundtrack. :(

Nah don't worry, I know what you mean.

Xenoblade blew my mind, big time. The last JRPG that marked me as much as Xenoblade must be FFVII or something like that, so...more than 10 years. It simply have that thing. Everything is pretty much done right. ;)

Dynedom

I'd post some of my fav Last Story tracks but I wonder if they'd be spoilerish. The YouTube comments certainly would be.

Forget it. Part of the fun is hearing them for the first time mid-game.

Apdiddy

Thanks for the update H.Protagonist -- it's not a big deal that the game is a little slow in reaching retail, I'm just happy that it's going to be out in the U.S.

If I pick it up Sunday along with NSMB2, that's cool too!

Hero

Also just wanted to let people know that on the website DeepDiscountDVD.com they have The Last Story for 29.99 and free shipping. They are REALLY SLOW on shipping though (5-10 days) and probably get titles in later than most retailers. I got it this way since my backlog is still too big so I don't mind waiting a few weeks but for anyone trying to save some cash thought it'd be good to throw out this option.

Pikma

Banned
Low shipment, huh? got a problem with my newegg preorder, lost the discount AND now it looks like it's backordered, Amazon doesn't have any copies left and what they might have probably doesn't come with the pre-order bonuses.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but there's no way to play this via dolphin if I don't have a wii, right?

Unless you own an uncommon DVD drive in a specific range of pretty old LG/Hitachi drives, there's not really any way to get the game on the PC without getting into legal/moral debates.

Aside from that, assuming it works without LLE audio, there's nothing copyrighted in Dolphin since it doesn't require a bios.

(The LLE plugin does contain copyrighted code and a file necessary for it isn't included, but most games support HLE audio which works "out of the box.")

But even then, from the looks of things it's not playable enough in Dolphin to replicate the real experience on the Wii. Unfortunately.

If anyone has the ability to cancel their preorders, Deep Discount has it for $30. The only thing is that the game won't ship for the 5-10 days. I'm in no hurry so I went ahead and ordered it from there. http://www.deepdiscount.com/video_game/WII-LAST-STORY

Thanks to CAG for the tip!

That's awesome. I'm assuming that it comes with all the pre-order stuff?

Not sure.

I'd assumed that they did because I was under the impressions the bonuses weren't necessarily pre-order bonuses, but included with every first (only?) pressing copy. I could be totally wrong though. For that price I went ahead and ordered anyway so we'll see.

it seems they don't have the artwork and CD so I'll keep waiting for amazon to ship the game =/

I thought the artbook was all first run copies, packaged as part of the game case? I'd be fine without the CD but I'll stick with Amazon if I'm wrong about the artbook.

I own the Last Story's OST and it's okay, but if that one fast paced song (ya'll who've heard know what I'm talking about) from the third disk is the final battle song, that is probably the WORST final battle theme I've ever heard. Hopefully you guys will enjoy that wreck when you hear it in-game. I thought most of the third disk from the Last Story OST was pretty underwhelming, save for one beautiful song with Kanon's lovely voice.

Thank goodness Kanon's song from the Last Story showed up on her collaborative album with Uematsu, with some tracks composed by the ACE+ people that you guys know from Xenoblade, titled "The New Story". Great album. Now I don't have to ever put in disc 3 of the Last Story OST in any CD player.

PhantomR

Banned
Hope I don't get screwed in doing this. Cancelled on Amazon, ordered from here.

I can assure you that deepdiscountdvd is a VERY reputable site (no I don't work there). I've just ordered a ton of anime from them in the past.

Yeah we may not get the soundtrack, but oh well. I'll just try to see if it's on iTunes later or something. No big deal.

Haliela

Amazon went ahead and bumped my order to overnight shipping free of charge due to the delay. They'll do it for anyone who calls and complains I'm sure. <3 Amazon so much. They always help you if they mess up.

zroid

Banned
Amazon went ahead and bumped my order to overnight shipping free of charge due to the delay. They'll do it for anyone who calls and complains I'm sure. <3 Amazon so much. They always help you if they mess up.

You 'mericans are so lucky. Compared with Amazon.com, the .ca counterpart is shite.

Fortunately I live 30 minutes from a warehouse so free shipping *is* overnight shipping for me.

...too bad no Canadian retailers appear to even have the game yet :(

Just wanted to chime in and say that my order from Amazon has changed to "Shipping Soon", so don't lose hope just yet, fellow Amazon buyers.

Fyerfly

Neo Member
My copy just shipped from Amazon. Expected to arrive Friday. I've been in a complete media blackout with this game, really looking forward to it.

Phenomic

My copy just shipped from Amazon. Expected to arrive Friday. I've been in a complete media blackout with this game, really looking forward to it.

Just wanted to chime in and say that my order from Amazon has changed to "Shipping Soon", so don't lose hope just yet, fellow Amazon buyers.

Mind if I ask when you guys preordered? Mine still doesn't hasn't shipped and it makes me a sad panda.

My Gamestop (in Toronto) called me today and left a message saying its coming Thursday. Weird that everyone elses is saying Friday.

Phenomic

I preordered from Amazon in March and it's still "not yet shipped". Still scheduled for the 17th though...

I just got home from work a couple of hours ago and it finally says Shipping Soon (meaning today)...

I preordered July 29.......... :3

So much for first come first serve basis haha. I preordered near the end of June and mine still says Not Yet Shipped as well. Just was wondering if there might have been some rhyme or reason to who got a copy shipped and who hasn't yet, but evidently it's not based on first come first serve.

Also, nice to see some Positivity for the Gooch. Glad to see at least a few journalists are seeing something good within.

So much for first come first serve basis haha. I preordered near the end of June and mine still says Not Yet Shipped as well. Just was wondering if there might have been some rhyme or reason to who got a copy shipped and who hasn't yet, but evidently it's not based on first come first serve.

Also, nice to see some Positivity for the Gooch. Glad to see at least a few journalists are seeing something good within.

Maybe having Prime shipping makes a difference, since they gave a shipping estimate that they do their best to meet, versus free shipping (assuming you used it) that they can take an extra day or two and just bump up to better shipping for free.

Top Bottom