• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers S2 |OT| We're Going To Texas - [Renewed for 3rd and final season]

Cant wait to see how it all unfolds tomorrow night (UK viewer here).

More than anything I hope it gets picked up for a third season at the very least. A bit of critical recognition at a few awards show would definitely help and I think there are standout episodes and performance's from this series that warrant that.

This series has been the best thing ive seen in years, would be a crying shame if it was to end abruptly.

I still remember Carnivale :'(

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Damon said an uptick in ratings would help tonight, but I'm honestly not hopeful for a season 3. Then again, I wasn't hopeful for a season 2, so who knows.

As far as how this season ends, I'm fully convinced there will be a satisfying resolution to this season's story, with some things left unanswered, just like season 1. I remember watching the end of season 1 thinking "if they never make another episode, I'm perfectly ok with this ending". I'm figuring the same thing for tonight

Never thought we'd get a season 3 of The Newsroom but HBO allowed Sorkin to close that one out (which I loved) so here's hoping

Never thought we'd get a season 3 of The Newsroom but HBO allowed Sorkin to close that one out (which I loved) so here's hoping

Well, we're back to the numbers in that case, right? Were Newsroom's ratings as bad as Leftovers?

The other thing is, I don't think there's a larger answer or overarching answer/ending Lindelof is building to. Each season (presuming they don't blow it tonight) has kind of been it's own thing. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for them to keep going, but being pushed into a definitive endgame is what Lost's problem was (from what I gather, I didn't watch).

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
For the new page:

Hey folks, just a gentle reminder that this is a television OT, and as such, is meant for discussing S2 of Leftovers. If you disagree with another poster, your options are to either provide a counterargument to their points or to ignore them. Please do not engage in personal attacks, metacommentary, and sniping as it's disruptive to the thread.

If you do see issues that need to be addressed, such as overt trolling, personal attacks, or anything else, please contact moderation via PM and we'll take a look at it. I haven't seen any of this season, but it sounds like a stark change from S1. Please enjoy the show and the discussion in this thread by keeping it focused on the content on screen and supplementary material. Let's try to keep the thread on track. Thank you.

Hey folks, just a gentle reminder that this is a television OT, and as such, is meant for discussing S2 of Leftovers. If you disagree with another poster, your options are to either provide a counterargument to their points or to ignore them. Please do not engage in personal attacks, metacommentary, and sniping as it's disruptive to the thread.

If you do see issues that need to be addressed, such as overt trolling, personal attacks, or anything else, please contact moderation via PM and we'll take a look at it. I haven't seen any of this season, but it sounds like a stark change from S1. Please enjoy the show and the discussion in this thread by keeping it focused on the content on screen and supplementary material. Let's try to keep the thread on track. Thank you.

Crud

Banned
We all know who the problem is in this thread its clearly obvious...

Excited for tonight. Shit is going down!

~Kinggi~

Banned
Ya'll shoulda just did like me and utilize GAF's wonderful ignore feature.

Cant wait for tonight. All signs point to good finale. Crossing fingers.

Kadayi

Banned
He is the Guilty Remnant, and Lost was his departure. Since he is unable to move on from that show, he sees it as impossible that others can continue to enjoy Lindelof's work and has made it his mission to be a living reminder of Lindelof's failures.

I expect to go out to my car one morning and find him there, in white, smoking, with a piece of paper stating "The Leftovers sucks".

Indeed. I'm all for critical discourse but there's seemingly no desire there to actively engage in a discussion versus play denial runaround, which is outright Troll behaviour as far as I'm concerned.

Not going to lie, I did enjoy the twist with Evie and co not being departed but joining the GR.

Yeah I liked the fact that they seeded it early. I aired my thoughts about the girls having done a bunk earlier in the season (that shot of them sat silently in the car post swim stuck in my mind) but I didn't envisage that it was because they were doing anything other than escaping from the town. Joining the GR was a neat move in terms of aligning elements. It make perfect sense that for someone as militant like Meg, Jarden would exist as this natural target for the GR.

i'd like to think at the very least, HBO will give it another season to close things out. i don't expect it to be around much longer either way, show probably doesn't have insane production values but it's probably not particularly cheap either

definitely deserves way higher ratings. especially this season

Damon said an uptick in ratings would help tonight, but I'm honestly not hopeful for a season 3. Then again, I wasn't hopeful for a season 2, so who knows.

As far as how this season ends, I'm fully convinced there will be a satisfying resolution to this season's story, with some things left unanswered, just like season 1. I remember watching the end of season 1 thinking "if they never make another episode, I'm perfectly ok with this ending". I'm figuring the same thing for tonight

I'm hoping that they get the critical awards and the uptick necessary for renewal if nothing more than for the fact that I'd like to see more of this sort of original drama on the screen, but if the sword of Damocles falls the other way I'm kind of OK with the story wrapping up with this season as well. Its been a run ride, and if Alan Sepinwalls Twitter comment is anything to go by, it should be a good season finale.

Exactly as I said. Fantastic fucking ending, lots of loose threads, emotionally satisfying as shit. Could end here, and I'm fine with it.

As I said, thank you everyone that was involved with this show. Loved it so much.

Mully

That was absolutely incredible. This finale was the only episode of TV I've ever watched where I've cried.

This may be top Breaking Bad season 5 for me when it comes to storytelling.

Holy shit. This finale, this season. Such a metoric rise from the promising but uneven first season. I loved it, some of my favorite TV of the year.

Mully

I kind of want it to end here. The Leftovers has been so tight and self-contained when it comes to the narrative and theme. I'm not sure what they could do at this point.

I kind of want it to end here. The Leftovers has been so tight and self-contained when it comes to the narrative and theme. I'm not sure what they could do at this point.

I agree. "You're home." is a perfect way to end it.

This show as a fantastic display on how people cope with loss. OMG.

I feel like Evie's response to Erica on the bridge was a response to the audience

"YOU UNDERSTAND."

I love the lack of hand holding. Allowing the story to be told instead of telling the story. So damn satisfying. The character arcs felt earned.

Nah, I don't want them to end it until the reveal demons or aliens end up being behind everything, that and they need to kill meg, fuck that bitch.

Nah, I don't want them to end it until the reveal demons or aliens end up being behind everything, that and they need to kill meg, fuck that bitch.

165595-your-scientists-were-so-preocc-K8Ym.jpeg

I can't endure another season. It was a struggle just to get here. Amazing show. Phenomenal season ending. I just can't anymore..fuck this stupid fucking life. Sorry for the nonsense..

Mully

The One and Done™;188205677 said:

I really loved how John and Kevin were basically the same person at the end. John tried to ignore what happened on the 14th, while Kevin was constantly reminded. They both are struggling to move on from that day, but they can't. John can't because his town was somehow, "saved,"; and Kevin can't because everything fell apart around him. Neither has an explanation, but both are fighting for things to be normal. Then, John shoots Kevin, and Kevin somehow lives. No one knows why, but both have accepted that they'll never know and nothing will ever be normal and they'll be there for each other. It was great seeing that bond at the end.

I really loved how John and Kevin were basically the same person at the end. John tried to ignore what happened on the 14th, while Kevin was constantly reminded. They both are struggling to move on from that day, but they can't. John can't because his town was somehow, "saved,"; and Kevin can't because everything fell apart around him. Neither has an explanation, but both are fighting for things to be normal. Then, John shoots Kevin, and Kevin somehow lives. No one knows why, but both have accepted that they'll never know and nothing will ever be normal and they'll be there for each other. It was great seeing that bond at the end.

That scene was SO SATISFYING.

John (In tears): I don't know what's going on
Kevin: Me either
Both men cry and kind of laugh at their lack of control or understanding of a bizarre situation.

The One and Done™;188205677 said:

Yes. I think they widely split the themes of the episode, keeping the concrete elements for a potential third season but a big step in the direction of pure allegory to close it here. "You're home" nailed it.

No way Coon and Theroux don't walk away with Emmys.

God. So good.

pargonta

ending on the same piano note had me in tears.

I was like.. they're gonna do it.. they're gonna do it!!

and then boom. so good.

Seeing Lily on the bridge with all the people running was one of the most nerve-wracking things I've seen in a while. Fuck. The "that's not your baby!" bitch made me so mad.

Great finale. If the series ends there I don't mind one bit. Solid stuff all around. I think I cried at least 3 times during that show. Kevin's singing Homeward Bound hit me really hard. Then Kevin and John meeting at the hospital. And finally hearing the piano theme at the end with everyone there welcoming Kevin home....damn. I feel emotionally drained in a good way.

Seriously one of the best seasons of TV I've ever seen.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I was hoping Kevin would just slug Meg in the face for the hell of it.

I was hoping Kevin would just slug Meg in the face for the hell of it.

Season 1 and early Season 2 Kevin probably would have done that. But he's been awakened during that scene and doesn't care to waste time with the GR's bullshit. If you think about his arc all the way from season 1, he's won. He got his family back and then some.

The One and Done™;188213468 said:
Season 1 and early Season 2 Kevin probably would have done that. But he's been awakened during that scene and doesn't care to waste time with the GR's bullshit. If you think about his arc all the way from season 1, he's won. He got his family back and then some.

I would even say he GETS the GR after his Patti trip, and understands them more than he was willing to admit.

hokahey

I was so nervous it wouldn't deliver. And then those last 20 minutes or so. I teared up at the scene back at his house.

Season 2 of the Leftovers will forever be on my list of best seasons of television.

Top Bottom