• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers S2 |OT| We're Going To Texas - [Renewed for 3rd and final season]

My only main issue with the episode was the timeline at the beginning seemed off. The girls left in the car, Kevin was at home, they got to the river and he was there, having already talked to the grandad. I mean, maybe they stopped somewhere first, but it just seemed weird to me.

Yeah. And as said, should have shown the girls somewhere else in between.

Otherwise very good finale.

Bloodsent

Yeah. And as said, should have shown the girls somewhere else in between.

Otherwise very good finale.

In the grand scheme of things, what good would that have provided in an already over on time finale? I think it was important to show the transformation in the car of the three girls, Evie in particular, and what Kevin saw, but that in between time wouldn't have added much.

In the grand scheme of things, what good would that have provided in an already over on time finale? I think it was important to show the transformation in the car of the three girls, Evie in particular, and what Kevin saw, but that in between time wouldn't have added much.

Nothing added, but it's still a plot hole.

Ogni-XR21

Great season which could have been even better if they had kept the old opening ;)

While the last episode was not even in my top 3 favorite episodes, it was still great. I would be fine with this being the end just so I don't have so see Matt's reaction when Mary is suddenly 'gone' again.

BadAss2961

Really enjoyed this season.

My only problem was how undermanned the security at Miracle was. A town built to keep people out, but an unarmed riot was all it took to crumble everything.

Kadayi

Banned
Second viewing it still stands up very well. Also able to take in some of nuances.

I particularly liked Noras sound of triumph and relief that she was right that the girls hadn't departed and also that she wasn't responsible.

Also props to Jovan Adepo for his scene in the church. It's fair to say (and Lindelof acknowledges it in one of his post finale interviews) that they weren't necessarily able to give as much time to all of the characters as they'd of liked to and both Jill and Michael got the short end of the stick this season, but I think they did an outstanding job acting as foils to the other actors.

Second viewing it still stands up very well. Also able to take in some of nuances.

I particularly liked Noras sound of triumph and relief that she was right that the girls hadn't departed and also that she wasn't responsible.

Also props to Jovan Adepo for his scene in the church. It's fair to say (and Lindelof acknowledges it in one of his post finale interviews) that they weren't necessarily able to give as much time to all of the characters as they'd of liked to and both Jill and Michael got the short end of the stick this season, but I think they did an outstanding job acting as foils to the other actors.

Yes, I thought Michael's speech at the church gave a lot of insight as to why Evie joined the GR.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I can't believe how good this season was.
It's a completely different show.
Best finale I've seen in a long time.

Kadayi

Banned
As a bit of contrast to the interview Lindelof love I found this interview with Tom Perrotta. I do kind of feel that he's been somewhat overshadowed by Lindelof in terms of the coverage somewhat even though he's co-creator (understandable though given how verbose Lindelof is)

http://screencrush.com/the-leftovers-season-2-finale-tom-perrotta/

Yes, I thought Michael's speech at the church gave a lot of insight as to why Evie joined the GR.

Yeah I think its the case with Virgil that maybe he abused Erica or Evie and that's why John shot him.

neoism

how is kevin not dead...

amazing acting but those white clothed motherfuckers are getting on my last damn nerve....i also really hate john hes a complete fucking asshole...sucks if its over after this.. but i dont see it coming back...

Interesting that Wayne's daughter was touching Mary when she "came back" and it was specifically during an earthquake.

Holy shit! She was hugging her then!

Just want to echo the majority on here. Incredible television from start to finish this series and it ranks as one of the best I've ever had the pleasure of watching, it really is that good.

It tied all the loose loose ends up brilliantly but still had me asking myself the same thing I've been thinking since the beginning. What is any of it all about? Not the show and any of the storylines taking place like is Kevin Jesus, what's so special about Miracle, just what are the GR really all about, did he go to some sort of Heaven or why did 2% of the population depart among many many more?

It's about loss, about grief and how we deal with it. It's about people.

I realise that sounds like some high brow arty shit that some hipster would say but that's genuinely what I've taken from it.

Like I said, incredible television and hope to God or Kevin lol, that HBO give us a few more.

Two other things I just thought of:

Did Virgil molest/assault Evie? That would make more sense given John's age, and would also explain whatever Evie had broken inside of her that caused her to join the GR.

Lastly, another Kevin/Jesus echo: The doubting Thomas (John) didn't believe in anything supernatural until he literally put his fingers inside Jesus's (Kevin's) wounds.

They did a really good finishing this season up. It was an impressive finale, and a good ending if the show does not continue, which I hope it will.

The
baby snatcher part
was kind of dumb and shitty, but the rest was really solid.

Erigu

My only problem was how undermanned the security at Miracle was. A town built to keep people out, but an unarmed riot was all it took to crumble everything.
Note also how part of Meg's plan was to cause some bomb scare on the very bridge they intended to cross.
Maybe the show takes place in a world where something like that would help lower the security? I don't know!

Hyun Sai

Two other things I just thought of:

Did Virgil molest/assault Evie? That would make more sense given John's age, and would also explain whatever Evie had broken inside of her that caused her to join the GR.

Lastly, another Kevin/Jesus echo: The doubting Thomas (John) didn't believe in anything supernatural until he literally put his fingers inside Jesus's (Kevin's) wounds.

Virgil definitely did something to Evie. Must be rough for her when all the town is living the miracle dream.

Nice catch on the Thomas one.

SickBoy

My biggest complaint about the season is that the timeline seemed a bit wonky.

Kevin and the girls' meeting seemed a little off (as mentioned earlier). But as with most things you could make a case to explain it -- maybethey regrouped somewhere before heading out for the lake to make their "departure."

The other big one that gets me is the timing of Laurie's appearance in Jarden. When you consider how little time seemed to have passed between their separation and her screaming down to Texas it seemed awfully quick. Seems like maybe a day based on their interactions and the timeline of Tommy's adventures with Meg.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Having watched this last night, I still come away with the same overall impressions of the show - great acting, great cinematography, and great music, but too willing open up new questions and loose ends while being unwilling to provide closure in a way that ultimately leaves me unsatisfied.

There are a lot of similarities to my experience with LOST here, though I think The Leftovers is better. LOST went downhill pretty quickly in my opinion, in particular becoming victim to an early extension from 4 to 6 seasons, and having to spend a lot more time treading water and having characters engage in stupid conversations and do stupid things in order to preserve "the mystery". In the end, the completionist in me came to resent having to sit through the last couple of seasons which ended with a finale that I felt didn't really go anywhere.

I enjoy the show a lot more than I dislike it, and I think season two was a step up on the first. I'll watch again if there is a third season, hoping it doesn't go down the same path as LOST, but I won't miss it if there isn't.

explorer

I was a big fan of the season, but I was not blown away by the finale like a lot of people here. I felt that Kevin walking around with a gunshot wound was too unrealistic. He was running around town so much, it almost became comical. I also felt like the police presence in Miracle was too light. I kept wondering how no one broke in earlier if all it took was a few people pushing a chain-link pedestrian gate open. Was it not locked?

didn't lindelof learn anything from fire + water about stupid babysnatching plots

guilty remnant are a bunch of fuckin assholes

nothing episode

RATINGS: HBO’S “THE LEFTOVERS” JUMPS FOR SEASON FINALE

Sunday’s season two “The Leftovers” finale was the highest-rated and most-watched episode of the season.

Per Nielsen cable data, the episode drew an improved 0.48 adults 18-49 rating and 993,000 total live+same-day viewers. The numbers top the 0.40 rating and 861,000 viewership mark posted by last week’s episode, which at the time ranked as season highs.

Bolstered by season finale buzz, Sunday’s episode also benefited from the absence of competition from “The Walking Dead.”

This week’s 993,000 viewership sum was the best of the second season. No first season episode drew fewer than 1.38 million.

The first season, of course, benefited from airing in the summer (away from fall competition) and with lead-in support from one-time HBO flagship “True Blood.”

One other thought about a possible renewal that I've probably said in some form or another throughout the thread. I REALLY hope they don't bring it back just for a sendoff, like Newsroom. The show doesn't need a sendoff and the last thing it needs is a wrap-up/buildup to a finale. They should only do a season 3 if it's a regular season like all the others, with no strings attached/no establishment that this is the sendoff year.

pxhu10O.jpg

People in front of the HBO office in NYC.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I feel like you can only enjoy this season if you enjoy David Lynch work.
Tried explaining to a friend why this season is good, and all he could talk about was the unresolved mysteries. Mysteries don't need to be resolved, and they don't have to mean anything. I feel like this is why I enjoy a lot of lynch's work because I know what role the mystery plays. It's only a tool to put a character and you through a certain situation. Kind of like music, it doesn't have to mean anything, it should just capture a feeling.
I feel like the show went for this, admittedly not to the same extent as lynch does but it certainly tried to go this way, and it succeeded for me.
I just wish they went all the way.

Guiberu

That was incredible.

I need a Season Three.

Wonderful acting. Wonderful story telling.

I also might be a little in love with Carrie Coon.

5taquitos

That last scene...

What an amazing season, I'm looking forward to watching through both seasons again in a month or two.

See you all next year! Believe!

I feel like you can only enjoy this season if you enjoy David Lynch work.
Tried explaining to a friend why this season is good, and all he could talk about was the unresolved mysteries. Mysteries don't need to be resolved, and they don't have to mean anything. I feel like this is why I enjoy a lot of lynch's work because I know what role the mystery plays. It's only a tool to put a character and you through a certain situation. Kind of like music, it doesn't have to mean anything, it should just capture a feeling.
I feel like the show went for this, admittedly not to the same extent as lynch does but it certainly tried to go this way, and it succeeded for me.
I just wish they went all the way.

I don't like Lynch's stuff, but do love this. It succeeded either way.

BearPawB

Banned
Compared to a lot of shows I think this show explains A LOT actually.

Sure it doesn't answer the biggest question in the room.
But most of the important small threads are addressed.

Best, most wild, riveting, ballsiest, daring seasons of television in a long time. Stuck the fucking landing Damon! Bring on a third season please.

Erigu

Okay, please help me understand this...

You guys had been theorizing about Meg's goal quite a bit before the finale aired. You had been wondering what kind of message she'd be sending and how. How it would "change everything". What kind of role the three missing girls would be playing.

The episode aired, and it turned out Meg's plan was simply to enter the town and vandalize it.
It turned out they planned to do so simply by having one guy use a bolt cutter to open the door. Never mind the security who we know had had to keep an entire village of weirdos at bay for months/years.
It turned out Meg apparently thought causing a bomb scare on the very bridge they intended to cross would be a good idea.
It turned out the three girls actually didn't matter at all. They were just there (really sucks for that one guy who got stoned to death over this).

... And that's fine with you?

ezekial45

Banned
I know this is a last season question, but it's been kinda bugging as of late.

Did Kevin sleep with Jill's friend Aimee? I seem to recall her mentioning stuff that happened "last night".

Crud

Banned
That was incredible.

I need a Season Three.

Wonderful acting. Wonderful story telling.

I also might be a little in love with Carrie Coon.

I need a season 3 as well. I'm not ready to say goodbye and I feel Lindelof isn't done yet the best is yet to come. I have a feeling HBO knows what is has on it's hands and will renew. They would be stupid not to.

I need a season 3 as well. I'm not ready to say goodbye and I feel Lindelof isn't done yet the best is yet to come. I have a feeling HBO knows what is has on it's hands and will renew. They would be stupid not to.

It helps that the ratings point UP with each episode as the season ended. It also helps that there's such critical acclaim and a palpable buzz around the show. I'd actually be pretty surprised if they didn't renew at this point.

oatmeal

Banned
Loved it.

The GR plan was a bit weak though, and I liked the idea of them causing grief by faking a departure and a return, perhaps having them lie to the town which in turn leaks out and gives hope to the world that perhaps their loved ones will return too.

Meg showed herself to not really be violent, but rather making people THINK she is. Faking out the kids on the bus, faking out tommy with the gasoline and then the bridge. It's just used to cause panic/chaos among people and while it was happening on the bridge, the people below revealed themselves as the GR and they stormed the gates.

turtle553

Loved it.

The GR plan was a bit weak though, and I liked the idea of them causing grief by faking a departure and a return, perhaps having them lie to the town which in turn leaks out and gives hope to the world that perhaps their loved ones will return too.

Meg showed herself to not really be violent, but rather making people THINK she is. Faking out the kids on the bus, faking out tommy with the gasoline and then the bridge. It's just used to cause panic/chaos among people and while it was happening on the bridge, the people below revealed themselves as the GR and they stormed the gates.

Her plan may not have been violent, but she will use violence to accomplish her plan. Just ask the biker she had killed the week before.

Loved it.

Tell that to the innocent guy that got stoned to death.

Top Bottom