• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers S2 |OT| We're Going To Texas - [Renewed for 3rd and final season]

Already starting to see characters doing dumb shit again.
Main guy won't talk about his hallucinations. Makes no fucking sense.

I think it makes perfect sense. He doesn't want to admit to himself that he's going crazy. Not to mention the repercussions to his loved ones. He seems pretty much in denial of his issues and keeps blaring music to keep the hallucinations/voices away. After what happened to his dad he is probably well aware that it could happen to him as well because of it being possibly hereditary. I don't see how his hiding his hallucinations doesn't make any sense as it seems like a rather human reaction.

neoism

lol wow just watched the first two eps... lol nothing makes sense lol....

since when can you burn down houses and not go to jail?

3mil for that lol wat a dumb ass..!

whyyy did they bring back the women Kevin buried... why.jpg?

kevin's daughter is so damn pretty!

kevin is a loon!

there's a character named Evangeline, and a character named lily... Kappa

previews look crazy.. i reallly need to wait this season out and watch it all in one sitting..

neoism

While the episode was great, and posed a number of questions, the fact that Lindelof seems to be letting it loose doesn't help the situation. I was optimistic going into the show because it was based on a novel. With season 2, it's apparent he has his way with the plot, and I'm worried it'll get turned into shit, the way Lost did.

The hallucinations seem like a start. :/ Really don't need that in this show and they need to go.

im one of the few i guess but lost is my fav show of all time still is and gaf really gives Lindelof waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy to much shit.... but the writer of the novel is co-creator, producer and writer of the show.. soo its not all Lindelof's craziness...

Kadayi

Banned
Oh, he deserves all of it and then some.

I don't know. I think the problems with LOST were in large part a resultant of the network wanting more of the moneyspinner in terms of seasons coupled with some misplaced catering towards the audience wants.

I thought Prometheus was dire, but then I read the original pre-Lindelof script and found out that all of the absurd shit was in there before they brought him in. I dare say they were too far into production to turn the oil tanker around before it crashed on the rocks of absurdity at that point.

I didn't expect much from The Leftovers, but in large part I've been pleasantly surprised, and this season is no exception.

neoism

Oh, he deserves all of it and then some.

wait wait your the guy the shit up lost threads back in the day right or is that someone else...for someone the obviously hates Lindelof's writing why are you here yet again.. did he shit in yo ceral or something like seriously...

Erigu

I thought Prometheus was dire, but then I read the original pre-Lindelof script and found out that all of the absurd shit was in there before they brought him in.
What? No, no, it really wasn't (here's a random article that elaborates a bit). David's heel turn was pretty weak in Spaihts's script, but aside from that, I'd say it all worked a lot better / made a lot more sense than Lindelof's rewrite.

for someone the obviously hates Lindelof's writing why are you here yet again..
It's hilariously bad.

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 2: episode 3 "Off Ramp"

Laurie and Tom Garvey's work to rescue lost souls takes a toll on theirs. Laurie seeks to spread the word about the Guilty Remnant's dangers, while Tom's infiltration of the cult uncovers a whole new nest of problems.

Hyun Sai

I think it makes perfect sense. He doesn't want to admit to himself that he's going crazy. Not to mention the repercussions to his loved ones. He seems pretty much in denial of his issues and keeps blaring music to keep the hallucinations/voices away. After what happened to his dad he is probably well aware that it could happen to him as well because of it being possibly hereditary. I don't see how his hiding his hallucinations doesn't make any sense as it seems like a rather human reaction.

I agree, this is perfectly understandable.

Theorry

I like that i have the whole time those wtf moments. That made season 1 for me.
Episode 1 didnt had that really so i was abit scared but episode 2 delivered for me again.

BrokenBox

Really liked the episode, but the end was kind of meh to me.

I liked the meta book-signing meeting. Well done.

Not sure why Tom would want to become Holy Wayne Jr. when he gave up hope for the guy and saw the end result. But I guess Tom's not the brightest either.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Damn, I saw Laurie and Tom going there halfway through the episode, but it still pisses me off that they did it.

What the hell was with the rape?

Regarding next week's preview:
Ugh, I saw Kevin touch the car and hoped that moment of stupidity wouldn't immediately turn him into a suspect, but looks like that's what will happen.

That's the first time I've ever seen the rape warning on the modern TV content rating system. Hmmm..

That was a food episode. I flew by so quickly though. That crumpled note was devastating. Many influenced by all the gun violence in the real world that's what I half expect to happen. Then she's driving and I thought or God, here we go. The skinning of the fish is a metaphor in what sense?

TheFrza

This is my favorite show on right now. I was plastered to my seat watching, so good.

The reveal(?) at the end has me guessing what is going on, but that is par for the course.

Speaking of, does he really have the power, or are they making stuff up to control the converts?

Herbs

Banned
This is my favorite show on right now. I was plastered to my seat watching, so good.

The reveal(?) at the end has me guessing what is going on, but that is par for the course.

Speaking of, does he really have the power, or are they making stuff up to control the converts?

I think they are just people who want to believe in something. They can't get away from that no matter what.

Is "Where is my Mind" going to be a recurring piece of music for this season? Last episode had Kevin listening to it in his earbuds, and this episode has an instrumental version of it.

Vert boil

Landing strip and dong?
meg2v2i6q.gif

Laurie smiling then rocking out in the car.

Kadayi

Banned
What? No, no, it really wasn't

Why would I need to read an article when I already read the script and came to my own conclusions? You think some random ying yang web article with an agenda means anything to me? Guess again.

Also episode 3. Powerful stuff. The scene in the publishers was a great catalyst moment. As regards the truck scene. My view is that the GR want to try and work through Tommy to undermine Laurie, and creating an uncertain relationship between him & Meg is one way to do it.

Is "Where is my Mind" going to be a recurring piece of music for this season? Last episode had Kevin listening to it in his earbuds, and this episode has an instrumental version of it.

Yeah, that's the Max Cyrin cover (great version btw).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NZdggNUvq0

Why would I need to read an article when I already read the script?

Also episode 3. Powerful stuff. The scene in the publishers was a great catalyst moment. As regards the truck scene. My view is that the GR want to try and work through Tommy to undermine Laurie.

I mean, I can't imagine Tom or Laurie going anywhere near the GR in the near future. Though I suspect Laurie will go fucking nuclear when/if she finds out what Meg did to Tom.

gazele

Banned
Wonder which concurrent story line will be next week

Maybe Christopher Ecclasion's?

I can see the whole season being concurrent timeline with the finale finally addressing the disappearing lake

So many people will be pissed off

Wonder which concurrent story line will be next week

Maybe Christopher Ecclasion's?

I can see the whole season being concurrent timeline with the finale finally addressing the disappearing lake

So many people will be pissed off

Damon Lindelof Watching Arrested Development Season 4

"Aha! This, THIS is what The Leftovers needs!"

I'm more into this season than the first one, it's been quite good so far.

Anyone following the Australia stuff? The TV mentioned a man who emerged from a cave and seemingly cannot die, named David Barton this week, and that was the name the letter the stylite saint in Jarden wrote was addressed to.

5taquitos

Anyone following the Australia stuff? The TV mentioned a man who emerged from a cave and seemingly cannot die, named David Barton this week, and that was the name the letter the stylite saint in Jarden wrote was addressed to.

Pretty clearly alluding to the second coming, interested to see if they directly address it this season.

Erigu

Why would I need to read an article when I already read the script and came to my own conclusions?
That was just a fast way to list some reasons why Lindelof made things worse.
I'd like to think listing some arguments is a bit more constructive than... well, not listing any. Still not sure how you could say "all of the absurd shit was in there" already before Lindelof.

You think some random ying yang web article with an agenda means anything to me?
(... "with an agenda"? wut?)

Karu

The Leftovers is on track to become my favourite show, second year in a row.

WHAT AN EPISODE!

Godamn, have to collect my senses here...

Still no idea where this is going or if it will even be interesting, but boy do they knock these emotional moments out of the park. Very raw and powerful stuff.

mm04

I'm enjoying the season so far. So did Tom really get Wayne's happy hug power or was that just BS to get these people to placebo believe they're not longer sad? I can't recall the exact circumstances of Wayne's death in Season 1.

vpance

I'm enjoying the season so far. So did Tom really get Wayne's happy hug power or was that just BS to get these people to placebo believe they're not longer sad? I can't recall the exact circumstances of Wayne's death in Season 1.

I was curious about this too. Indiewire recap had this to say

1. Tommy believes in his power.

Okay, so let me explain why I think that not only Tommy's story about Holy Wayne gifting him his powers actually happened, but that he actually believes he can hug the pain away. For one, he's clearly still thinking about his former religious icon, considering he fell asleep watching videos of a young Wayne performing online. We never really found out what happened to Wayne before he ended up in the bathroom stall with Kevin, and it seems wholly plausible he would've found Tommy and told him what to do with the baby (even if it seems slightly more likely a panicking kid would drop it off at his dad's house). Yet the most telling piece of evidence toward Tommy's belief in the story, and thus the story being real, happened last episode when he went to meet Jill at the diner. His sister tried to hug him when he walked in the door, and he refused her, saying he was sick and didn't want her to catch it. He didn't appear sick in this episode, when we got a longer look at him, so I'll bet that was a ruse, and he really was too frightened to use his power.

Seems like a good explanation.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Well, we never saw this alleged meeting between Tom and Wayne that he described.

Tom learns that there are other pregnant women, then he refuses to take a call from Wayne. Christine gives birth. Next we see this storyline it's the finale, we see Christine ditch the baby in the rest stop bathroom, then the next time we see Tom is at the very end when he's back in Mapleton and stumbles across his mom (presumably after leaving the baby on the porch). Between those scenes, Kevin finds Wayne bleeding out in a diner restroom. Wayne says he's about to die, that he thinks he may be a fraud, but will grant Kevin a wish that he simply needs to think. Wayne's face beams and he says "granted" then keels over, at which point SWAT busts in with guns drawn.

Tom's story doesn't contradict anything we saw, but...

Hyun Sai

His sister tried to hug him when he walked in the door, and he refused her, saying he was sick and didn't want her to catch it. He didn't appear sick in this episode, when we got a longer look at him, so I'll bet that was a ruse, and he really was too frightened to use his power.

Great catch, makes sense !

Top Bottom