• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers S2 |OT| We're Going To Texas - [Renewed for 3rd and final season]

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
A very confused and marginalized Justin Theroux was pretty funny in the latest episode. It was like Wahlberg from the Happening at times.

Geist-

loved the episode except for the song at the end. basically purports that everyone needs some god for them to deal with life. pretty offensive. also, im laughing at what i perceive to be the ridiculousness of such ideas and, not with. tsk.

no offense to the religious of course.

anyway, yeah amazing episode.
:-/ Offensive is going a little far I think. Sure, the show has religious themes, but I don't think the writers are trying push any ideas on anyone regarding it, if anything the show is almost anti-religion. The theme song for the second season is all about religious skepticism after all(we dont know what will happen after we die, so we should simply 'let the mystery be'), The Guilty Remnant are practically a religious cult, and all established religions are universally wrong about what happened with the departure what with there being no discernable pattern regarding who was taken (murderers and child molesters along with children and the Pope).

coleco

The show feels completely improvised and all over the place. I'm really not surprised people are tuning out.

My guess is that he banged his head at some point and hallucinated her being awake, like he did when he got hit with that wrench.

Very possible

It was interesting to see the poetic justice when the
guy who attacked him died at the end of the episode. He was nice enough to help the kid, though.

Strange ending, as per usual.

Isn't it clever how the character who I've been tormented for the past 2 seasons says his favorite book of the bible is Job? Man I'm good.

/Lindelof

At least this episode didn't have any Guilty Remnant. It wasn't necessarily a bad episode, but I found myself rolling my eyes at times and straight up groaning at others.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
This show is occupying such a strange space - it oscillates between good and outright terrible multiple times per scene. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before.

RaidenZR

This has to be one of the strangest TV anomalies ive seen. This season has been phenomenal. Lots of great, emotional and challenging aspects to it and its completely shitting the bed in ratings. At the very least anyone reading this who is at all interested in good drama s needs to give this a chance. Probably will only get the rest of the season. I just cant see it getting renewed with the ratings its pulling.

Yeah, HBO is probably going to pass on a renewal even though this season has been pretty damned compelling and risk-taking. The execution is pretty great, too. I am honestly shocked at the ratings, and the off-season could be a time when this show gains some word-of-mouth buzz from people who want to pass it on (should it keep momentum and pay off). But it will be dead before the reactions to the quality could draw in some new people.

Dying before it's time. I guess it's Deadwood / Carnivale 2.0.

And yeah, the guy who plays Matt Jamison is super skilled. I am not a religious person but I find myself invested and intrigued even with all the religious overtones and themes sometimes. Feels like it's trying to get people thinking far beyond those foundational faith questions.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Yeah, HBO is probably going to pass on a renewal even though this season has been pretty damned compelling and risk-taking. The execution is pretty great, too. I am honestly shocked at the ratings, and the off-season could be a time when this show gains some word-of-mouth buzz from people who want to pass it on (should it keep momentum and pay off). But it will be dead before the reactions to the quality could draw in some new people.

Dying before it's time. I guess it's Deadwood / Carnivale 2.0.

And yeah, the guy who plays Matt Jamison is super skilled. I am not a religious person but I find myself invested and intrigued even with all the religious overtones and themes sometimes. Feels like it's trying to get people thinking far beyond those foundational faith questions.

Carnivale is a pretty good comparison. 2 seasons of strange good shit.

I'm no expert in TV ratings, but could HBO Go and On-Demand viewership rescue this? HBO is unique in that I don't think they care if people watch their stuff as it airs, just that they watch it at all (like Netflix). Premium channels like that should be least concerned with viewership during live airings, right?

I'm no expert in TV ratings, but could HBO Go and On-Demand viewership rescue this? HBO is unique in that I don't think they care if people watch their stuff as it airs, just that they watch it at all (like Netflix). Premium channels like that should be least concerned with viewership during live airings, right?

Could very well be, and HBO has always been cognizant of the buzz around their shows.

I've also mentioned a few times in the thread, they couldn't have had THAT high ratings expectations when they're sending the show out against Walking Dead, Homeland, and Sunday Night Football.

5taquitos

Could very well be, and HBO has always been cognizant of the buzz around their shows.

I've also mentioned a few times in the thread, they couldn't have had THAT high ratings expectations when they're sending the show out against Walking Dead, Homeland, and Sunday Night Football.

It's kinda funny that Damon Lindelof was on Talking Dead a couple weeks ago (I hate that show)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
HBO is unique in that I don't think they care if people watch their stuff as it airs, just that they watch it at all (like Netflix). Premium channels like that should be least concerned with viewership during live airings, right?

HBO will renew non-David Milch shows even if the ratings suck as long as they believe in it.

Basically. Assuming viewership on demand isn't hideously bad, I would expect to see a third season.

I can't believe I missed this. Emily Nussbaum wrote about the show in last week's New Yorker and man, she really fucking nails it.

Lindelof, the co-creator, and his team (which includes Tom Perrotta, the other co-creator, who wrote the novel on which the show is based; the religious scholar Reza Aslan, a consultant; and directors such as Mimi Leder) persist in dramatizing the grandest of philosophical notions and addressing existential mysteries—like the origins of maternal love and loss—without shame, thus giving the audience permission to react to them in equally vulnerable ways. They’re willing to risk the ridiculous in search of something profound.

Unlike so many cliff-hanging exemplars of modern television, “The Leftovers” can’t be binge-watched; it needs the space between episodes for recovery. But it is part of a growing set of TV experiments, which have begun to feel like a parallel track to the past decade’s celebrated dramas about masculinity and power. These jagged, meditative projects risk pretension and embrace inconsistency; unsurprisingly, they often attract small audiences.

Depression Modern
The existential risk-taking of “The Leftovers.”

And I'll tell you what, with everything we've talked about in this thread regarding ratings, is it going to be renewed, etc., THIS is exactly the kind of buzz HBO pays attention to.

RPS37

Unlike so many cliff-hanging exemplars of modern television, “The Leftovers” can’t be binge-watched; it needs the space between episodes for recovery. But it is part of a growing set of TV experiments, which have begun to feel like a parallel track to the past decade’s celebrated dramas about masculinity and power. These jagged, meditative projects risk pretension and embrace inconsistency; unsurprisingly, they often attract small audiences.
Truth.
Also, Brian!!!

wtf was that about??

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 2: episode 6 "Lens"

Surprise visitors irk Nora as she becomes preoccupied with self-examination. Meanwhile, Erika finds an unlikely ally; and Kevin's situation is finally plain for all to see.

RaidenZR

Not going to lie, the conversation with Erika and Nora was kind of giving me chills. I didn't quite understand what they wanted me to take from that... But I guess based on the the fact that she retaliated with the rock throwing, she is on the same plane of thought that Nora may have caused the departure of her daughter simply by proxy?

Still not quite sure how Erika would figure out who was doing the rock throwing, or why Nora was doing it in the first place. Did I miss something?

Yeah, I'm not sure about this either. Anyone have an explanation?

It's probably like Kevin said. She's probably pissed that they left her brother to rot. Same reason she passive-aggressively brought Mary along to the fundraiser.

What I didn't understand is why Patti didn't want Kevin to tell Nora about her. Just a few episodes ago she was grilling him about why he wasn't telling his family.

It's probably like Kevin said. She's probably pissed that they left her brother to rot. Same reason she passive-aggressively brought Mary along to the fundraiser.

What I didn't understand is why Patti didn't want Kevin to tell Nora about her. Just a few episodes ago she was grilling him about why he wasn't telling his family.

Well it's not Patty, it's just Kevin's paranoia, doubt, and other thoughts manifested into her character. So a few episodes ago, he thought telling his family was not a good idea to him, she represented the yang to his ying. Now, he builds the courage to tell his family, and the same thing, ying and yang.

RaidenZR

Yeah, that makes sense now that you mention that part.

I don't remember the Patti thing, though.

Nora is fucked up. Kevin is fucked up.

Nora hides it better, but they really are perfect for each other. Holy shit. I mean throwing the rock, trying to be sly with her reading on Erika, and then saying Matt's the asshole for calling her on her shit. Her mental anguish is her comeuppance.

BrokenBox

That was probably my favorite episode this season.

Also, Nora threw the rock most likely because:

a.) They fucked over her brother.
b.) The disappearance of their daughter is reminding her way too much of her departed family.

I think it's B.

That was probably my favorite episode this season.

Also, Nora threw the rock most likely because:

a.) They fucked over her brother.
b.) The disappearance of their daughter is reminding her way too much of her departed family.

I think it's B.

You're probably right. Resentment or irritation about their issue drudging up things from Nora's past.

This is probably the best show on TV right now. I really liked the showdown between the two women. The tight shot on both faces was fantastic!

Whether Ghost Patti is actually her or some other entity taking her form, they've been pretty clear that it is actually there and not just in his head. It knew where his phone was and the dude on the pillar could see her.

jrush64

Banned
This is the first episode of this show that I watched and I didn't even get what was going on, but holy shit i was hooked. That last 15 minutes.

I didn't get that last part, was it Nora who threw the rock at Erika's house at the beginning?

SickBoy

I liked the show well enough last year, though I know a handful of people who tried and couldn't stick with it. This year it's been fantastic. I don't expect any great resolution whenever the show wraps, but I hope it's not a series that ends on a dissatisfying note because its creators didn't foresee a Sudden Departure for the series.

Whether Ghost Patti is actually her or some other entity taking her form, they've been pretty clear that it is actually there and not just in his head. It knew where his phone was and the dude on the pillar could see her.

I've taken to believing that most of the supernatural elements in the show are generally "real". At least those involving central characters.

That includes Matt's wife wake-up, Wayne's hug power, Kevin (and his dad's) visions, etc.... even Family Matters' weird palm-print readings.

Unrelated: She is not "Hollywood starlet" stunning, but I really have a thing for Carrie Coon/Nora. Yowza.

Top Bottom