• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers S3 |OT| The End Is Near - Premieres Sunday 4/16, 9pm on HBO

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I honestly thought that was a pretty bad episode, aside from the final scene. Scott Glenn isn't a good enough actor to carry an entire episode by himself.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I honestly thought that was a pretty bad episode, aside from the final scene. Scott Glenn isn't a good enough actor to carry an entire episode by himself.

Yeah, I wasn't super interested for most of it. I looked at the clock a few times to see how much time was left on the episode.

I thought the play on chance and coincidence was fantastic.

A crazed man on a journey through the desert ends up where her kids died and on his posession is a page of a book of what cleary is a message from god. What are the odds, right? Oops sorry mr police officer.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
Just goosebumps all through. Magnificent. I love this show so much. Watching any other show feels like eating vomit-drenched gravel in comparison.

A bit worried about the show quite clearly confirming that Kevin Sr. actually talked to Kevin Jr. through the tv (he doesn't seem to remember it, but details like God's Tongue and being in Perth is too much of a coincidence). That could mean that we officially are in supernatural territory. You know, aside from the whole Departure and Kevins immortality, but still.

Chumley

Banned
I liked it a lot. Kind of an unconventional episode but it had a lot of gorgeous shots and the ending was extremely powerful.

Just goosebumps all through. Magnificent. I love this show so much. Watching any other show feels like eating vomit-drenched gravel in comparison.

A bit worried about the show quite clearly confirming that Kevin Sr. actually talked to Kevin Jr. through the tv (he doesn't seem to remember it, but details like God's Tongue and being in Perth is too much of a coincidence). That could mean that we officially are in supernatural territory. You know, aside from the whole Departure and Kevins immortality, but still.

Yeah that ship sailed as soon as Kevin came back from the dead.

All the shots of the Australian Outback looked great, the show definitely needs to be in Emmy contention for directing, along with acting.

This show, along with Daredevil made me really take notice how good of an actor Scott Glenn is.

That monologue at the end was heartbreaking.

Didn't liike that they spent an entire episode of an eight episode season on a character I hate, so that's a bummer.

Yeah. This wasn't much good. I don't mind the actor but Im never invested when his character came into play. I particularly hate how he is always the one hinting at destinies and answers to all of this

The scenes with him and Christopher Sunday were the best (especially when he falls on the guy and kills him after all that planning lmao, this show has been pretty great at dark humor)

I liked how it clearly sounded like the ramblings of a crazy person. I hope this show doesn't end up corroborating his word.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I feel bad for laughing whenever the sad piano theme is used. It almost feels like an in-joke only for me at this point.

Didn't expect to enjoy a whole episode based on Kevin Sr. as much as I did. Also, as an Australian they really, really nailed a lot of the set design (I'm sure they filmed in real locations), especially the posters in the background of a lot of scenes (WorkSafe posters in episode 2, 'Dob in a Dealer' in this episode), and even the Australia Post envelopes in the post office. I dunno, a lot of Australian stuff in American film comes off as trying too hard but they really pull it off, I think. Also couldn't help but laugh at the white lady's 'we APOLOGISED for that!'. Google 'the stolen generation' if you want to know what Kev Sr. was talking about.

I loved the Australian setting too and the emphasis on the Aboriginals in the country. that was all great, just do not like Kevin Sr. much but the setting of this episode really carried it for me.

Ogni-XR21

Latest episode is still not available on skygo here in Germany. Probably due to the puplic holiday we have here today. Now I'm checking skygo every 5 minutes. Would probably better off just playing something but I just can't help myself.

Erigu

This week on The Assholes:
Random shit happens to the Assholes. "This must mean something", they think.

I feel bad for laughing whenever the sad piano theme is used. It almost feels like an in-joke only for me at this point.
Oh, you're not alone.

Kadayi

Banned
I liked that they explored Kevin Sr crazy. That last five minutes was huge though. Also, the reveal that the god's tongue thing did happen, albeit Kevin Sr can't remember the details.

Wow, I couldn't disagree with you more. Scott Glenn is an amazing actor and his performance in this episode was mesmerizing. This season has elevated the show to a whole new level for me.

uncblue

Didn't really care that much for the episode overall. But when Chris Sunday said his song brings the rain I spit out my drink.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I thought the episode was ok, I just didn't need a full episode devoted to Kevin Sr. when there is only 5 episodes left of the entire series.

Enjoyable episode. It was fun following Kevin Sr. on this weird adventure. Seeing some Australia was visually interesting and loved the music throughout. That scene with Grace at the end was great. Solid performance, always liked her as Brutus' mother in Rome.

Digging the credit song changing. Now I kinda have to see it each time to hear the theme of the episode. Fun version of Personal Jesus.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Is Kevin's dad going to tell her that he's the Kevin in the scripture?

It seemed like he might considering how mad he was that Matt didn't put him in the book

m4st4

Season 3, episode 2 - I had the widest smile hearing that Perfect Strangers theme song. Last time I heard it... probably (at least) fifteen years ago, but I knew what it was from the moment it kicked in, so good.

That was trash.

I never did like Kevin senior and having him carry an entire episode was a mistake, he's just not an interesting character and he works better in very small doses. It was going so well too. Ah well, fingers crossed it picks back up next week.

This was the slowest and weakest episode of the season so far - probably worse than anything in Season 2, even -, and I still found it entertaining and captivating throughout. This show will go down as one of the all time greats.

I wouldn't be surprised if, years down the line, after more people discover this show, we get another season or two, like with what's happening with Twin Peaks.

Those last 10 min. Damn that was good.
Rest of the episode was oke.

Yep.

That episode is a good example of the entire series in a nutshell. A bunch of nonsense with a few minutes of very well done emotional scenes.

This was the slowest and weakest episode of the season so far - probably worse than anything in Season 2, even -, and I still found it entertaining and captivating throughout. This show will go down as one of the all time greats.

I wouldn't be surprised if, years down the line, after more people discover this show, we get another season or two, like with what's happening with Twin Peaks.

For me, I can't say I love the show. I do love specific moments of the show. They are incredible. But the show as a whole? Kind of meh, personally. I really don't like Lindelof.

Kadayi

Banned

Nope.I'm entirely ok with them bringing the boat in this season and leaving the mystery of the departure unresolved.

Also much love for Twin Peaks, but I'm not sure it needed a 3rd season either. I kind of liked the downbeat ending of the second season.

Nope.I'm entirely ok with them bringing the boat in this season and leaving the mystery of the departure unresolved.

Also much love for Twin Peaks, but I'm not sure it needed a 3rd season either. I kind of liked the downbeat ending of the second season.

Yup. The best thing I can say about the past two seasons, is after each one of them ended, I would have been perfectly alright never having another episode produced. Hoping I can say the same after this ends.

I hate to keep popping in while this Season 3 talk is happening (avoiding much of it), but I am on episode 5 of Season 2 and I just gotta say this is one of the best shows I've ever watched. Coming from someone who was disappointed in the pseudo-ethereal direction Lost went in its final season, I think the ride of The Leftovers is far more thrilling and bizarre in the right ways so far. I love the characters and how deep the show goes into their state of mind. Episode 3 of Season 2, Off Ramp, is my favorite of the series so far. It was so crippling to see Laurie realizing that the Guilty Remnant can't be taken down so easily, and how she tries to help but ultimately can't.

It's moments and observations like this that make the show come together for me. Lost was at its best when it focused on the characters and the ones in The Leftovers are sometimes better drawn and more sympathetic. Reminds me of Locke and how profoundly sad his arc is. I know I have more to go but I just had to express my feelings on the show somewhere. I have no idea where it's going and I'm fully prepared to get shafted regarding answers and explanations, but again, it pulls off the "journey" far better than Lost did.

darscot

This episode was really weak. It added nothing to the story, we knew last episode they had the wrong person. That was an hour slog to tell us something we already knew.

This episode was really weak. It added nothing to the story, we knew last episode they had the wrong person. That was an hour slog to tell us something we already knew.

Definitely wasn't the best, but it's possible that in hindsight, we needed to see firsthand how selfish/deluded/fanatical Kevin Sr. is. It struck me as a possible set up for him as an antagonist/problem for Kevin Jr later in the season.

-griffy-

Banned
I binged through this whole show the past week and got caught up for live last night. What the fuck. This show doesn't seem like it should be allowed to exist. Like someone got one over on someone by getting this made. I feel like I'm getting away with something by watching it.

PolishQ

David Gulpilil, the actor who played Christopher Sunday, was also in the classic Nicolas Roeg film Walkabout ... which has a scene awfully similar to the one where the businessman sets himself on fire in the middle of the outback. I appreciated the homage.

I binged through this whole show the past week and got caught up for live last night. What the fuck. This show doesn't seem like it should be allowed to exist. Like someone got one over on someone by getting this made. I feel like I'm getting away with something by watching it.

Same, I'm amazed this show lasted this long. This seems like the type of show to find it's popularity when it's all over.

Strakt

pretty meh episode; last few mins were good though! thought it was the weakest in all 3 seasons so far. next weeks looks nuts

I adore him. He's a treasure.

I guarantee this will be the craziest opinion I see on the internet for at least a week.

Wow, I couldn't disagree with you more. Scott Glenn is an amazing actor and his performance in this episode was mesmerizing. This season has elevated the show to a whole new level for me.

Idk guys, I actually really enjoyed the episode, and while I thought his acting was excellent for most of it, whenever he tried to cry it was distractingly fake.

El Daniel

20 minutes in and I turned it off. Why are all the episodes character centered now? Bored to death with this character.

Top Bottom