• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers S3 |OT| The End Is Near - Premieres Sunday 4/16, 9pm on HBO

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I feel bad for laughing whenever the sad piano theme is used. It almost feels like an in-joke only for me at this point.

They've abused that song so much ("Hear that piano? This is a sad scene! Feel something!") that I can't help but laugh every time I hear it as well.

I remember getting a lot of shit for criticizing the piano track in a LTTP thread I made for the show. it really feels like some kind of "sad moment alert"

I generally love the scenes that it is placed in, but that song needs to go already.

A whole episode revolving around Kevin Sr was pretty meh. The last 10 minutes were the highlight.

How are people forgetting about the hotel scene from International Assassin?!?! When it was announced they were switching locations to Australia for shooting and story reasons, lightbulbs should have been clicking instantaneously. I mean c'mon.

But yeah, I wonder who he's alluding to with the whole "you got the wrong Kevin". Him, or his son....

Ross61

I remember getting a lot of shit for criticizing the piano track in a LTTP thread I made for the show. it really feels like some kind of "sad moment alert"

I generally love the scenes that it is placed in, but that song needs to go already.
Rightfully so. Damn you Disco.

Anyway I definitely enjoyed this episode even if it wasn't as strong as the rest.

Sadsic

i really enjoyed this episode but i have a huge blindspot towards this show at this point - im too much of a fan

I'm also starting to buy the theory that the radiation zapping group is a GR offshoot. Why else have Mark Linn-Baker say "I guess I'm wasting my breath"?

On paper I should have hated this week's episode. I can't stand the Kevin's dad character yet somehow I was totally on board with it. I really enjoyed all the details about Aborigine culture and the bureaucracy and laws protecting it. Some of the cinematography was solid. I kind of have no idea where they're going with the show and I feel invested completely in what they're doing so far.

My biggest gripe is still the reuse of last years intro. If there isn't a grand punchline to recycling it (I guess there could be?) it's just straight up lazy and the show deserves better. It seems like such a weird thing to skimp on and I hope there's a point to it.

SickBoy

Like a lot of people, I didn't love the episode. It had some quality moments (and the final minutes were really gripping)... but it did feel a bit overextended. Like they had a half-hour episode of Kevin Sr. and then figured, "welp, we've got 30 minutes of him, why don't we make the whole episode about him?"

I try not to make too-big judgments about cable dramas, because sometimes episodes like these are paid off really interestingly down the line, but call me a skeptic for now.

(I did think it was valuable to offer some of the "how did these women get the 'Book of Kevin' and WTH has been going on with his dad in Australia"... and the connection w/International Assassin and Kevin's dad's time blacked out on drugs)

I think the guy who was burning himself, maybe he wanted to get radiation-blast-departed and they wouldn't do it? I can't imagine what else it might be...

At this point for me the best thing the show could do is to do hour long vignettes with all of the characters. I know that's not going to be everything going forward, but for me this has been the perfect start.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I found this episode exhausting. Some of the scenes just went on way too long.

gazele

Banned
Yeah...love the show, but didn't care for this episode, not exactly sure why, I do think the dad is super interesting and a really good actor

nGuoNYe.png

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh, you're not alone.
They've abused that song so much ("Hear that piano? This is a sad scene! Feel something!") that I can't help but laugh every time I hear it as well.
So a lot of people disagree with us, but if this show was actually popular, I could see a bad SNL sketch where mundane shitty things happen (like a kid dropping his icecream cone) and then the theme playing out of nowhere. It's the equivalent of Carrie from Homeland making her DERP face whenever she was being "crazy" in the first couple of seasons. I just can't take it seriously anymore. lol

So a lot of people disagree with us, but if this show was actually popular, I could see a bad SNL sketch where mundane shitty things happen (like a kid dropping his icecream cone) and then the theme playing out of nowhere. It's the equivalent of Carrie from Homeland making her DERP face whenever she was being "crazy" in the first couple of seasons. I just can't take it seriously anymore. lol

I always get a kick whenever Kevin Jr has a confused face which is 90% of the time. Not only is it hilarious, it works within the confines of the story and world.

I felt the exact same. Felt like a big time filler episode.

How can you say this is a filler episode? This episode explains exactly what Kevin's father has been up to since he left for Australia. Kevin's father and his story line have been a major part of this series from episode 1. This is a major episode that will certainly have narrative relevancy as we near the end of this story.

So I'm not going to read or post in this thread, for a couple of months anyway as we ain't getting this show in the UK till the beginning of July.

Firfuxsake you cunt fucking pricks, Sky!! Gutted :(

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
How can you say this is a filler episode? This episode explains exactly what Kevin's father has been up to since he left for Australia. Kevin's father and his story line have been a major part of this series from episode 1. This is a major episode that will certainly have narrative relevancy as we near the end of this story.

Lorcain

90% of the episode showed Kevin Sr in various degrees of passionate crazy, often times seeming completely unhinged. But the payoff was watching Scott Glenn's eyes and face become increasingly focused and intense as he listened to her story. It was like her story brought his mind back into laser focus.

I had major doubts about where the episode was going for nearly 40 minutes of it. Seeing Kevin Sr's transformation at the end, right before our eyes, was really well done.

Kadin

Loved the episode, love the use of the theme and can't wait for next week's episode. Zero complaints so far for the season. I really enjoy these episodes where they really dive in and explore a specific character. I didn't feel that this dragged on at any point.

Top Bottom