• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers S3 |OT| The End Is Near - Premieres Sunday 4/16, 9pm on HBO

Daft_Cat

I'm guessing he was "turned down" from the thing Nora is heading to. Doesn't a guy do a similar thing in the film Walkabout, as well?

The film Walkabout is the first thing I thought about when the scene happened. Brilliant film and crazy nod.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but the aboriginal boy from Walkabout actually makes an appearance in Sunday night's episode.

walkabout_1.jpg

Same dude. David Gulpilil, if anyone's curious.

So after 3 seasons of teasing Kevin Sr as being anything other than just batshit crazy, he turns out to be........ batshit crazy. Yay.

At least Jr is Jesus apparently.

Blader

Surprised at the reactions to the last ep, I thought it was great and really interesting.

Is Damon's mother now in charge of the opening music?

I was definitely surprised. I thought it was excellent & all professional review around the internet have said the same.

It was one of the best hours and performances in TV history but people just don't get shit. That never surprises me. There were people who watched Sopranos like "EY. WHERE'D THE RUSSIAN GO?"

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It was one of the best hours and performances in TV history but people just don't get shit. That never surprises me. There were people who watched Sopranos like "EY. WHERE'D THE RUSSIAN GO?"

Lol

Also I like the sad piano music. They have used it less in S3 compared to previous seasons.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I hope on the gaming side when Mircrosoft announces that the Scorpio is 599, someone mixes in the sad piano theme over Phil Spencer's cheering about the price.

Erigu

The ridiculous hyperbole and the good old "you just didn't get it" defense... It really is Lost all over again!

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

What were some of these reactions that warranted this response?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
The ridiculous hyperbole and the good old "you just didn't get it" defense... It really is Lost all over again!

Damon is trying.
nGuoNYe.png

I'm not going to say this past episode was the greatest hour of TV because that is really hard to make a case for. It was a solid episode that really drove home the emotional impact of the show, which is what the Leftovers strives for is hitting those emotional buttons. The closing monologues by one of the 'four horse ladies of the apocalypse' was very powerful and shot wonderfully.

Even though I really enjoyed the episode because I've enjoyed the character of Kevin Sr and his cookiness it easy to understand why others might not have enjoyed it.

Einchy

It must be nice to be the one that gets to judge what's hyperbole and what's not.

As opposed to being the one to say that if you don't agree that this was one of the best hours in TV history then you're an idiot who doesn't "get it"? Yeah, Erigu's post is definitely the one that needs to be called out here.

Strakt

Or you know.. people have different opinions and find different things appealing.. which this episode was not

Erigu

As opposed to being the one to say that if you don't agree that this was one of the best hours in TV history then you're an idiot who doesn't "get it"? Yeah, Erigu's post is definitely the one that needs to be called out here.
I often see "that's just your opinion, how dare you act like you're the absolute authority" reactions like that in OTs, but, perhaps not so curiously, they always seem to be in response to negative criticism, and never to praise...

It must be nice to be the one that gets to judge what's hyperbole and what's not.

Oh but he's had so much practice. I do wonder if that makes it nicer for him or if he's like bored like "Here we go again."

I only see quoted flashes of the dear fellow since he's been blocked on my feed since long before Mark Linn Baker hoofed it off to Mexico lmfao

Oh man I wish we had had "lmfao" in the LOST threads. I may have never blocked him. It would have just been so fun to inundate him with them.

Oh well. What's done is done.

Or you know.. people have different opinions and find different things appealing.. which this episode was not

but...i liked it so much......

my dumb brain....how to resolve....these inconsistencies........

shutting...down....

s h u t t i n g

d

Strakt

Oh but he's had so much practice. I do wonder if that makes it nicer for him or if he's like bored like "Here we go again."

I only see quoted flashes of the dear fellow since he's been blocked on my feed since long before Mark Linn Baker hoofed it off to Mexico lmfao

Oh man I wish we had had "lmfao" in the LOST threads. I may have never blocked him. It would have just been so fun to inundate him with them.

Oh well. What's done is done.

but...i liked it so much......

my dumb brain....how to resolve....these inconsistencies........

shutting...down....

s h u t t i n g

d

Sounds to me like you're an extreme fanboy of the show.. thats cool tho

Daft_Cat

Sounds to me like you're an extreme fanboy of the show.. thats cool tho

To be fair, you don't exactly have to look very far to find fanboys of season 3. There's been a massive amount of acclaim for the first 7 episodes, all of which were released to the press before the season began. It's definitely TV's critical darling at the moment, which means, even as just a passive observer with no real horse in this race (I only just caught up), it's hard to not to see a lot of the negativity in this thread as contrarian in tone. Especially when the criticism is overtly aggressive in character and attached to some lingering, self-perceived slight over LOST.

To be fair, you don't exactly have to look very far to find fanboys of season 3. There's been a massive amount of acclaim for the first 7 episodes, all of which were released to the press before the season began. It's definitely TV's critical darling at the moment, which means, even as just a passive observer with no real horse in this race (I only just caught up), it's hard to not to see a lot of the negativity in this thread as contrarian in tone. Especially when the criticism is overtly aggressive in character and attached to some lingering, self-perceived slight over LOST.

Boom.

CryptiK

Stopped watching halfway through season 2. I know the show never intended to explain what happened, but did they by any chance?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
In TV history?

It might have been one of the best performances on that particular Sunday

Theorry

No idea whats going suddenly in this thread. This isnt the Leftovers thread i am used to.
The one i am used to. Is that we moan about that the big audience isnt picking up the best show of the last 10 years,

Btw is it sunday yet...

Einchy

It's contrarian to say that this one episode just wasn't all that good? It's odd to you that only this episode has people going "meh" and not the others? Maybe, just maybe, this episode wasn't one of the best hours in tv history and thinking that is a normal opinion.

[edit]

Who is being overtly aggressive, anyway? I just reread the last few pages and the most aggressive post is someone saying the episode is trash and hopes it goes back to how good it was in the last two episodes.

This episode just wasn't that good.

Daft_Cat

It's contrarian to say that this one episode just wasn't all that good? It's odd to you that only this episode has people going "meh" and not the others? Maybe, just maybe, this episode wasn't one of the best hours in tv history and thinking that is a normal opinion.

[edit]

Who is being overtly aggressive, anyway? I just reread the last few pages and the most aggressive post is someone saying the episode is trash and hopes it goes back to how good it was in the last two episodes.

This episode just wasn't that good.

I do believe you are putting words in my mouth. And no, I won't name names. Though it should be pretty obvious to most of the regular posters ITT who I'm talking about, which isn't to say he or she isn't entitled to their opinion.

Daft_Cat

Hm. Maybe don't dismiss it as simply contrarian, then?

Lol. Come on, dude. Give it a break. I've read through any number of your posts, and although I've never responded, there's been an overriding trend. You may be entitled to your opinion, but so am I. None of the criticism you've presented has struck me as overly convincing on its own terms. Rather, it seems like most of your thoughts on The Leftovers are skewed by an overriding bias against its show-runner, which, to me, reads as counter-productive at best, and contrarian at worst. And, like I said, I'm neither a super-fan of Lost, nor particularly devoted to The Leftovers (it is pretty great, though).

Erigu

I've read through any number of your posts, and although I've never responded, there's been an overriding trend.
Sure? Clearly, I don't think the show is good at all.

You may be entitled to your opinion
I'm still not sure why you say that just to then show you don't actually mean it.
"You're entitled to your clearly biased, obviously contrarian opinion."
Gee, thanks.

it seems like most of your thoughts on The Leftovers are skewed by an overriding bias against its show-runner
No, I don't like Lindelof. I don't like his writing, and I don't like his attitude. And those haven't changed (and it's not like I'm the only one drawing comparisons with Lost either... hell, some positive posts did that as well).
So... don't you think it kinda makes sense that the same flaws I perceived in his previous gigs still annoy me now? Or are those people who talk about how the show is great because they haven't been so intrigued since Lost "biased" as well?

Daft_Cat

Sure? Clearly, I don't think the show is good at all.

I'm still not sure why you say that just to then show you don't actually mean it.
"You're entitled to your clearly biased, obviously contrarian opinion."
Gee, thanks.

No, I don't like Lindelof. I don't like his writing, and I don't like his attitude. And those haven't changed (and it's not like I'm the only one drawing comparisons with Lost either... hell, some positive posts did that as well).
So... don't you think it kinda makes sense that the same flaws I perceived in his previous gigs still annoy me now? Or are those people who talk about how the show is great because they haven't been so intrigued since Lost "biased" as well?

Right-o. My senses tell me I'm about to launch into some sort of never-ending, goal-post-shifting spiral of despair worthy of Lindelof himself (there you go - a concession), so I'm just going leave it here.

Strakt

Who gives a shit about critics. People are entitled to their own opinion; they don't have to rely on someone elses. The last episode was pretty bad aside from the last 10 minutes. I love the show but last weeks was IN MY OPINION pretty awful. If you enjoyed it.. then good for you, but theres some people in this thread trying to defend it like their life depends on it / act like they are writers for the show (lol)

TVexperto

I just binge watched the first season but cant get past the third episode of the second season, the mother and his (step)son really annoy me.

Do they ever explain what happened and where they disappeared? Do they at least give hints ... I dont need a full on 10 page explanation I just want to know if they even give some infos and leave the rest to the viewers imagination

I just binge watched the first season but cant get past the third episode of the second season, the mother and his (step)son really annoy me.

Do they ever explain what happened and where they disappeared? Do they at least give hints ... I dont need a full on 10 page explanation I just want to know if they even give some infos and leave the rest to the viewers imagination
They don't and you likely won't care either after getting through s2.

No. The point of the show isn't what happened, it's in exploring how people deal with grief and with the unexplainable. They're never going to explain it

Daft_Cat

Who gives a shit about critics. People are entitled to their own opinion; they don't have to rely on someone elses. The last episode was pretty bad aside from the last 10 minutes. I love the show but last weeks was IN MY OPINION pretty awful. If you enjoyed it.. then good for you, but theres some people in this thread trying to defend it like their life depends on it / act like they are writers for the show (lol)

Just to clarify (though I really don't want to get into this any further because its inhibiting more meaningful discussion), I wasn't really trying to restrict my statement specifically to last week's episode. I can see why my remark came off as a more pointed attack, since I was coming into a conversation already taking place.

I was really just reflecting on certain "vocal minorities" that seem to haunt this show wherever it goes, mostly over what seems like leftover grief from the days of LOST and Prometheus. It's like a steadfast resentment that continues, even as the rest of the world (critics, and audiences) are increasingly enraptured by the quality of the work.

Edit:

You guys can have the last word, if you'd like. I won't be responding anymore. Honestly, I'm not sure this thread is actually the best place to discuss the show. Seems like, aside from the brief spattering of reactions every Sunday night, any interesting discussion inevitably devolves into arguments over whether the show is actually shit, or not. Seems like the most boring sort of discussion imaginable for a show with as much to talk about as The Leftovers.

Top Bottom