• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki |OT| The Empire Strikes Back

Sen%20header2.jpg

SUMMARY
The Erebonian Empire
A massive country located in the western part of the Zemuria continent. Over the past few years, two conflicting forces have come to power, resulting in rising tensions within the country. They most recently lost a war against the Liberl Kingdom, and have their eyes set on the city-state of Crossbell.

Those of Noble blood
Centered around the four noble families, they possess great wealth which they use to protect their own assets through private military force and the like.

The Reformists
Centered around the the might of the Iron-Blood Prime Minister, they have quickly been amassing a sizable army. A rising power within the nation, they seek to take back the wealth from the nobles.

Enter the Thors Military Academy.

Developed with the express purpose of raising capable individuals regardless of their background, the Thors Military Academy struggles with the same issues as the rest of the Empire. With both noblemen and reformists on the board of directors, the students find themselves under the influence of their conflict. Students of noble blood who display a high level of skill or excel in their studies are given white uniforms. Meanwhile the common students, regardless of their performance, wear green uniforms. Despite these differences in uniform and even dormitories, these students come together for training, clubs, and even things like enjoying fireworks.

As spring arrives, so to does the new school year. Rean Schwarzar, a young noble from the countryside, has managed to gain entrance into Thors. Upon arriving in town, he notices something quite puzzling. Students are wearing differently colored uniforms. Furthermore, while they are certainly not large in number, there are students wearing red uniforms as well.

As the opening ceremony comes to a close, a young female teacher takes to the stage to make an announcement.

“All students wearing a red uniform please gather here. We will now be conducting a special orientation.”

And with that, the curtain rises on the story of Class VII.

BASIC INFO
  • Developer: Nihon Falcom
  • Platform: Playstation 3/Vita (Cross Saves supported)
  • Release Date: September 26, 2013
  • Import Price:
    -Vita Standard Edition - $67.99
    -Vita Limited Edition - $92.99
    -PS3 Standard Edition - $77.99
    -PS3 Limited Edition - $99.99

CHARACTERS
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

PRETEND THERE IS A PIC OF FIE HERE.

As well as this guy and many more:
Olivier.jpg

VIDEOS

Opening

13 minutes of gameplay

TGS offscreen gameplay of the PS3 version

TGS offscreen gameplay part 2

GENERAL RULES OF SPOILERS ETC

All right. This part is really important so I hope you folks actually read this. It's for your own good, I swear!

As we all know, the Kiseki series is one giant interconnected tale of heroism, political strife, and cute cat-like mascots. This thread is designed primarily for people who have played the previous games, but it's unfair to assume that that's the way everybody is going to play and has been playing.

As such, if you're going to describe things that that occur in previous games in the series (FC, SC, 3rd, Zero, Ao), please spoiler them. Random spoiler bars aren't very helpful by themselves, so please try to caption them with the game in question. I'd hate for folks to get plot twists ruined over stupid shit. I'm counting on you guys and gals, since I'll be putting up a Kiseki Community OT sometime in the near future. Consider this a test run of sorts.

Anybody interested in this series but can only speak English? Go play Trails in the Sky for the PSP (and soon PC). It's the first game in the series, and quite good IMO.

Everyone else? Let's get this party started! Feel free to post theories and such too, provided you properly spoiler stuff. <3 Also please be gentle. This is my first real OT and I put it together during my free time this morning. No, the Tokitowa one doesn't count.

MY PLEA TO YOU ALL
I get it. You want to play this game in English but the prospects of getting it anytime soon are low. I totally understand where you're coming from. That being said, this is NOT an XSEED localization thread or even an FC/SC localization thread. I would love you all forever and ever if you try to keep that kind of discussion to a minimum. This OT is for Sen no Kiseki, and the people buying/importing it. Just wanted to make that clear. =) <3

I'll be grabbing this tomorrow after work. If I'm not completely drawn away into the darkness to play all evening, I'll post some quick thoughts.

I guarantee nothing.

hongcha

I have the PS3 version preordered. Initially I couldn't decide between it and the Vita version, but after watching a video and seeing how nice the graphics were in the PS3 version, my decision was made.

Jonnyram

Olivier, my sweet Prince!

Will be getting this day one after all, and might even have a sneak play to whet my appetite, but before I really get stuck in, I need to beat Sora 3rd and Ao (which undoubtedly means I'll be waiting for Ao Evo next year).

Aeana

Olivier, my sweet Prince!

Will be getting this day one after all, and might even have a sneak play to whet my appetite, but before I really get stuck in, I need to beat Sora 3rd and Ao (which undoubtedly means I'll be waiting for Ao Evo next year).
I don't think Ao will be necessary storywise, since this takes place during Zero.

Rpgmonkey

I still have to finish like 40% of SC and all of the 3rd, but I ordered a copy anyway just to have it on my shelf taunting me.

I'm waiting for others to play it and see how much of it assumes the player has already played through Zero and Ao anyway, so I can see if I should leave it unplayed until I play those (I'm assuming/hoping PS3 ports of the Vita releases will happen after Sen, but I'll get a Vita if I must) or jump in as soon as I'm ready.

I get the impression that from a chronological perspective and their comments, FC-3rd will be satisfactory, but I'd rather not mess this up...

I don't think Ao will be necessary storywise, since this takes place during Zero.

Actually, there's some stuff in recent Famitsu's that suggests AO SPOILERS
that part of this takes place during a certain major cannon part of Ao. Not sure though.

I didn't look closely enough due to spoilers. lol

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
After the TGS demo I want to play this so bad and yet I'm still only 10 hours into FC. Stupid MH4/FF14 :(

Haven't started Ao, but I think I'll jump on the Sen bandwagon regardless.

I really wish playing Japanese games wasn't such a chore though. My Japanese fluency is still at the level where I have to consciously translate text-while-reading, and it's really really annoying for text-heavy games with less voice-overs.

C'mon, some tech company, hurry up and create some voodoo that can transcribe Japanese text-to-voice instantly. =(

Falcom is really bad about this stuff.

Japan is really bad at this, overall. Some do them well, but they're the exception.

Shengar

RyougaSaotome, just wait till my Japanese Learning Course bear fruit and eat that jelly in the fridge!
That at least need 3 years ;___;

cj_iwakura

See you in 2018 for the US release!

Wow, they really are cutting it cheap on that animation OP budget. Remember when Falcom OPs had animation?

Wow, they really are cutting it cheap on that animation OP budget. Remember when Falcom OPs had animation?

I remember when Falcom OPs barely had any.

Sen no Kiseki is already a significant leap from their previous endeavours. It's nothing short of refreshing in days where we're seeing guys with 10x the money/resources Falcom have go crazy over mobile-mobile-mobile.

cj_iwakura

I remember when Falcom OPs barely had any.

Sen no Kiseki is already a significant leap from their previous endeavours. It's nothing short of refreshing in days where we're seeing guys with 10x the money/resources Falcom have go crazy over mobile-mobile-mobile.

I'm sure the game's fantastic, just kind of sad to see it get a lazy flash OP. Lunar Sega CD had a prettier OP.

ranmafan

I'm getting a copy of both versions myself, but I may not get to play for a while since I'm stuck on some other games at the moment. But really looking forward to this one.

Netto-kun

Thread subscribed. Hopefully I'll get the PS3 version next week. May pick up the Vita version later on.

After the TGS demo I want to play this so bad and yet I'm still only 10 hours into FC. Stupid MH4/FF14 :(
Play through the Sora no Kiseki trilogy first, then play Sen go go! And at least you already got your MH4. I don't know how I'll be able to juggle between this, MH4, ARR and Pokémon X. :D

Some of it takes place during Ao as well; (spoilers encountered at TGS)
the game cold opens on Rean, Sara and other Class VII members heading to the Army fortress at Galeria/Garrelia/however it ends up being officially spelled in English to try and prevent the shelling that opens the invasion of Crossbell. Obviously, they fail, and then the game winds the clock back to Rean's arrival in Heimdall.
It's unclear just how deep into Ao it will go, though, especially since it's basically from the Erebonian perspective of events.

Anyway, from what I played of this at TGS, it is Pretty Rad. Hopefully someone gets to render it in English some day!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I am tempted to import the PS3 edition, but my Japanese is not as good as is used to be.

....it is still a better option than to wait 5 years for a USA release.

Aeana

I am tempted to import the PS3 edition, but my Japanese is not as good as is used to be.

....it is still a better option than to wait 5 years for a USA release.
5 years is incredibly optimistic. Look at how long it's taken to get SC.
And there are 3 games after that.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't seen any gameplay, but everything else about this game looks so incredibly disappointing compared to the previous games. It doesn't even bother me this won't ever be in English.

Hopefully it turns out better than it looks.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I ended up choosing the Vita version.

Gah, I might just play it even if I'm waiting for Ao Evo. The site timeline says that it goes through Ao, but... I kinda really want to play this one. I'm excited.

I've been waiting for this OT. I'm almost more excited about the idea of where the sequel will lead, moreso than this particular title.

I am currently playing through Olivier's extra story in 3rd as we speak (I'm beyond this point where it became available). Hopefully I can hurry up and finish this before release date, but the heavy reading portions will probably prevent me from getting there in time.

Aeana

I haven't seen any gameplay, but everything else about this game looks so incredibly disappointing compared to the previous games. It doesn't even bother me this won't ever be in English.

Hopefully it turns out better than it looks.
Huh, really? Disappointing how?

Link1110

I got halfway through Trails I before deciding to come back later, and now I'm going through Legend of Heroes III: White Witch. These games are good, but they both seem to have extended parts that are kinda boring that make pushing through a chore. I got to the beginning of Chapter 2 in Trails I (and I intend to go back to that next) and there's a WHOLE CHAPTER in White Witch which is town wandering in one castle town without a single battle. Does this series stop doing things like that in future installments?

Eusis

Falcom is really bad about this stuff.
Yeah, I saw they put Oliver down as Olivert too. I kinda hoped the days of Dulk Fukt were past them, but I guess not.

... And yeah, those of us who want to play this sooner than later should probably just start making a serious effort to learn Japanese. Need to find a good place to start I guess, I've practiced Hiragana/Katakana on and off and got a book for Remembering the Kanji, but have made no serious efforts.

I got halfway through Trails I before deciding to come back later, and now I'm going through Legend of Heroes III: White Witch. These games are good, but they both seem to have extended parts that are kinda boring that make pushing through a chore. I got to the beginning of Chapter 2 in Trails I (and I intend to go back to that next) and there's a WHOLE CHAPTER in White Witch which is town wandering in one castle town without a single battle. Does this series stop doing things like that in future installments?

FC builds up. It's worth it. Even though FC can be slow, a lot of the Kiseki games can be enjoyed for the sense seeing the evidence of the gears shifting in the background, building up to an imminent explosion during the latter half of the game. I'm not so sure about the Gagharv (or whatever it is) trilogy, though.

MoogPaul

It's best to think of trails as its own series.

Aeana

Yeah, I saw they put Oliver down as Olivert too. I kinda hoped the days of Dulk Fukt were past them, but I guess not.

... And yeah, those of us who want to play this sooner than later should probably just start making a serious effort to learn Japanese. Need to find a good place to start I guess, I've practiced Hiragana/Katakana on and off and got a book for Remembering the Kanji, but have made no serious efforts.
No, no. RE: Olivert
that's his real name. Olivier is a different name he uses.

Eusis

Wonder if that's the spoiler I caught on HG101 before SpaceDrake cleaned it up.

Well, guess I'll subscribe to this thread for when I get through SC!

EDIT: Whoops looked anyway. Yeah, that's probably related to it.

Top Bottom