• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki |OT| The Empire Strikes Back

KuroNeeko

Does this series have any connection to Ys?

Looking at the gameplay footage in the OP, it looks like this game is menu driven while Ys is in real-time?

I was thinking about trying it out, but I don't know if I want to wade through a text-heavy, menu-based RPG just months before the FFX remix is coming out.

Also, what would you say makes this series stand out? Does it have a particularly interesting story or is the combat system really well done or what?

Aeana

Looking at the gameplay footage in the OP, it looks like this game is menu driven while Ys is in real-time?

I was thinking about trying it out, but I don't know if I want to wade through a text-heavy, menu-based RPG just months before the FFX remix is coming out.
No connection other than same developer.

It's not related to Ys other than they are both made by Falcom.

This series is a story heavy, turn based RPG series. If you want to jump in, it's highly recommended you start with Trails in the Sky FC, which is the only game currently released in English, and is the very beginning of this series.

Yeap, screw waiting for localizations that may never come. This is why I'm currently learning kanji.

The day I'll get to enjoy this series in full will come soon...

I'm personally just relieved that nobody has said "fuck this shitty OT" yet. Hahaha.

Guys, it's been two years since Ao. I CAN'T BELIEVE WE'RE FINALLY HERE. WE'RE FINALLY DIVING INTO EREBONIA.

Also SpaceDrake, I quite enjoyed the TGS demo as well. The loading times were a bit long on both the Vita and PS3, so hopefully that was just a demo thing or it gets patched.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Picking this up along with Armored Core VD. So much awesome at once! Yay!

I'm still not sure how long it'll take me to play though. I'm still like halfway through the 3rd and I don't even have a copy of zero or ao, and I really kind of want to finish those first... aaahg. What do I dooooo..

Sitrus

Really looking forward to this, but not sure I can fully enjoy the story as I have yet to finish Ao since I heard there was going to be a Vita remake of it later. Is FC, SC, 3rd and Zero sufficient do you think?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I'm personally just relieved that nobody has said "fuck this shitty OT" yet. Hahaha.

Guys, it's been two years since Ao. I CAN'T BELIEVE WE'RE FINALLY HERE. WE'RE FINALLY DIVING INTO EREBONIA.

Also SpaceDrake, I quite enjoyed the TGS demo as well. The loading times were a bit long on both the Vita and PS3, so hopefully that was just a demo thing or it gets patched.

f*** t**** s*** Op... :D

Great OP! can't wait for Thursday.

Really looking forward to this, but not sure I can fully enjoy the story as I have yet to finish Ao since I heard there was going to be a Vita remake of it later. Is FC, SC, 3rd and Zero sufficient do you think?

Kind of vague right now since there is at least one big event from Ao that's covered from Erebonia's side.

Nobody has any clue if there's more though.

Cheska

Everytime a new LoH game gets released I tell myself that I'm going to start learning to speak Japanese....and then I never do ;_;

Really great OT though Ryouga! I'll just sit here envious of all those that get to enjoy this properly :p

Mr YuYu

It's not related to Ys other than they are both made by Falcom.

This series is a story heavy, turn based RPG series. If you want to jump in, it's highly recommended you start with Trails in the Sky FC, which is the only game currently released in English, and is the very beginning of this series.

We will be getting the second one in the west as well no? So guess its save to assume that the 3rd one will also come to the west?
I dunno, I am just kinda hoping.

edit: Can't wait till i have my Vita. The way everyone has been praising this series on GAF it must be something special!

Eusis

We will be getting the second one in the west as well no? So guess its save to assume that the 3rd one will also come to the west?
I dunno, I am just kinda hoping.
Unfortunately us getting the second looks less like a case where they can keep on going and more like they struggled to reach the finish line at all. Hopefully the series finds success on PC and becomes viable to keep bringing over. I'd say "blows up on PC", but that's probably being too optimistic, though it'll probably be the best JRPGs you'll find on it especially when you consider the quality of the PC version relative to other versions, unlike FFVII where it's a wash at best.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Huh, really? Disappointing how?

To be fair a lot of it is probably just bitterness regarding JRPGs in general lately. I was writing a post of specifics but most of it came down to the what it reminds me of more than anything.

In general the art and "school setting" are really unappealing to me though. Combined with the tropey looking characters it just looks like a "focus tested anime game." If it weren't a Falcom game I probably wouldn't have given it a second thought.

Also lol at the 5-8 year comments. At the current rate if these games were localized Ao would probably take around 5 years by itself.

Sandfox

Unfortunately us getting the second looks less like a case where they can keep on going and more like they struggled to reach the finish line at all. Hopefully the series finds success on PC and becomes viable to keep bringing over. I'd say "blows up on PC", but that's probably being too optimistic, though it'll probably be the best JRPGs you'll find on it especially when you consider the quality of the PC version relative to other versions, unlike FFVII where it's a wash at best.

Ys was apparently successful on Steam so I would expect the same to be true for FC and SC given the price is right and it receives good sales during the summer.

I think the Steam release is gonna be a big boost for the series in North America. As already mentioned, Ys did great on Steam, and if this catches hold, it will be a steady stream of income for XSEED and Carpe Fulgur.

It's time for fans to really get the lead out and push this series into the limelight, where it belongs. If we can show that the series has supportive fanbase here, then I see no reason why XSEED and Carpe Fulgur should stop bringing over the titles.

If possible, I'd like to keep localization discussion to a minimum if that's cool. I don't want this turning into a thread of "will XSEED localize this" comments. It'll make it hard to find the actual game discussion/impressions.

luca1980

Banned
I wanted to ask from a while to japan gaf these questions: which strengths and weakness does each chapter of kiseki titles have aside fc?

also I am courius to see :
1 if falcom fixed the loading times of the final version of the game
2 about the persone vibe of the school setting.

anyway great ot, thanks to tc.

Buying both versions since I'm in Japan and I want to play it here on my Vita, yet when I get back home I want to play on the PS3.

Hypeeeeeeeeeeee.

Faustek

I want to play so bad >_<

my thoughts as well.

But my Japanese is nearly non-existent and sitting with a lexicon to a story/flavour heavy game would ruin everything.

But no I won't start complaining about localization so just going to sit here and smile and listen to you who will be able to play and share with the rest of us.

So keep sharing :D

Eusis

If possible, I'd like to keep localization discussion to a minimum if that's cool. I don't want this turning into a thread of "will XSEED localize this" comments. It'll make it hard to find the actual game discussion/impressions.
Yeah, obviously many of us can't contribute meaningfully beyond that, but no good ruining the party for those who DO understand and don't want "I hope this gets localized!" posts clogging it up. Especially since there's three games (ah hahaha...) to get through first anyway.

... Well, I guess I could ask for a Eusis (well, Jusis apparently) avatar, but that's just because another JRPG actually used that name other than the one I took it from in the first place (Phantasy Star II) and not because I really give a crap about the character. Nevermind that I DO like this Demifiend avatar.
my thoughts as well.

But my Japanese is nearly non-existent and sitting with a lexicon to a story/flavour heavy game would ruin everything.

But no I won't start complaining about localization so just going to sit here and smile and listen to you who will be able to play and share with the rest of us.

You could maybe use replaying the first game as a method for learning, as you wouldn't be ruining a story FOR THE FIRST TIME! Though that might also be the path to madness, probably better to slog through stupid shonen manga or something that way instead.

Gweg

Neo Member
Has there been any confirmation of old characters making appearances in Sen ?
I'm really excited for this, but the art direction and the move to 3D just seem like Falcom alienating their core audience to reach the Vita hardcore otakus. I guess the two are pretty close user bases, but this pandering is pretty sad, and I'm not sure it'll pay off in sales.
It's not like it started in Sen though. I browsed around the official threads on 2ch the other day, and I was surprised at the amount of vitriol directed at Kia and the breast jokes in Zero and Ao (and let's not get started on Tio *cringe*).
On the other hand, most of the other pre-release commentary is sound (if only a bit worrying) :
-They seem to be making the main character relationship component central to the game, which contributes to making the game a harem-themed game (much like Zero and Ao though)
-Load times seem long (and apparently they're worse on the download version... which I was thinking of getting)

But well, enough criticism : if the writing team is mostly the same as before, it'll still be an enjoyable ride :)

Has there been any confirmation of old characters making appearances in Sen ?
I'm really excited for this, but the art direction and the move to 3D just seem like Falcom alienating their core audience to reach the Vita hardcore otakus. I guess the two are pretty close user bases, but this pandering is pretty sad, and I'm not sure it'll pay off in sales.
It's not like it started in Sen though. I browsed around the official threads on 2ch the other day, and I was surprised at the amount of vitriol directed at Kia and the breast jokes in Zero and Ao (and let's not get started on Tio *cringe*).
On the other hand, most of the other pre-release commentary is sound (if only a bit worrying) :
-They seem to be making the main character relationship component central to the game, which contributes to making the game a harem-themed game (much like Zero and Ao though)
-Load times seem long (and apparently they're worse on the download version... which I was thinking of getting)

But well, enough criticism : if the writing team is mostly the same as before, it'll still be an enjoyable ride :)

Tita was already bad in Sora no Kiseki.
"Age difference couple" ugh.
Kia was awful, but there was already a precedent for creepy BS. However, moving beyond Sega Saturn 3D renders as sprites method has nothing to do with Otaku, and everything to do with bringing this series beyond the Playstation era.

Zero/Ao, harem games?

I definitely wouldn't call Zero or Ao harem games, but that's not really a discussion for this thread anyway.

As for the load times, they were def a bit long in the demo. It was probably the one negative thing that popped out to me.

Gweg

Neo Member
They were talking about all female characters falling head over heels for Lloyd.

But one could argue it was reasonably balanced, since other male characters had love interests.
Calling them harem games is far fetched, but the kizuna event system is definitely a step towards ADV-style narration.

I was trying not to reply to these posts, but come on. Did you even play the games? There was nothing creepy about Kia whatsoever, she was just another part of the family.

I interpreted
her sleeping in bed with Lloyd
, as a nod to those people, even if it can be interpreted as innocent. There's also a conversation between Lloyd and Kia later in the game, but I can't remember exactly. Maybe something like
her asking Lloyd if they can date when she grows up?

Maybe I'm just incredibly crass at this point. Wish I could have played the game without getting a sense of ulterior motives.

Razma1

my thoughts as well.

Ya I hear you on that. Only Japanese game I managed to play straight through in all Japanese was Dissidia and that's only cause it was a fighting game.

I'll be buying the previous games PC release and telling all my buddies to get it hopefully it makes a difference.

RANDOM THEORY TIME.

SC/3rd/Zero/Ao BIG SPOILERS.

Emma's cat is definitely a mythical beast. We've had one in each series thus far, and that thing totally fits the bill.

I'm also wondering how far we're going to see into the invasion of Crossbell. We already know that in the very least we witness the start of it from the Erebonian side. With Osborne winning over the nobles by the end of Ao, I get the feeling Sen isn't going to have a super happy ending. Probably more bittersweet leading into the next game.

I'm really looking forward to see how well integrated these two games will be with Crossbell overall. Hopefully
the sequel will be able to provide some closure to the character's of Crossbell. Or at least a followup/cameos. I was happy with the serious consequences direction the ending took, but wow did it feel abrupt. And if they're directly involved with whatever events transpire, perhaps we'll be given the opportunity to play as them as well.

I pre-ordered the Vita limited edition. I was gonna get the PS3 version too, but with the announcement of Vita TV, there's no reason to double dip anymore.

Also addressing Encephalon above me:

Zero/Ao spoilers:
Really excited to see if this leads into the second game allowing us to play that two year period of occupation. Ao's ending credits were like having non-stop bombs dropped on my head.

I pre-ordered the Vita limited edition. I was gonna get the PS3 version too, but with the announcement of Vita TV, there's no reason to double dip anymore.

Also addressing Encephalon above me:

Zero/Ao spoilers:
Really excited to see if this leads into the second game allowing us to play that two year period of occupation. Ao's ending credits were like having non-stop bombs dropped on my head.

Yes, yes, yes please. Oh man, I'm already trying to calculate when we'll see the next one.
Some point before Final Fantasy XV.

Young Magus

Hello Kiseki GAF,

I'm interested in the series and this game. Problem is that the only game I've played is FC (my skill in Japanese in pretty mid-low). So would it best to skip out on this on or can I jump in the game without a good amount of plot going over my head?

Thank You in Advance

Eusis

Hello Kiseki GAF,

I'm interested in the series and this game. Problem is that the only game I've played is FC (my skill in Japanese in pretty mid-low). So would it best to skip out on this on or can I jump in the game without a good amount of plot going over my head?

Thank You in Advance
I've followed ENOUGH non-spoiler stuff to know this is kind of a bad idea. Maybe it's friendly to newcomers, but whether or not it is there's a lot of continuity that's a huge draw for the series, the Third was even setup for this and the last two games. Probably should just get through them in order.

Hello Kiseki GAF,

Thank You in Advance

It depends on what you consider "mid-low," but you might want to consider playing through FC in Japanese on PS3 and gaining access to a handwritten Kanji dictionary, then make your way through the titles. This method can take quite a bit of discipline (and time), but if you have the grammatical foundation and can get through FC, you can continue through the rest of the series (PS3, Vita versions so that all Kanji are clear and visible).

Don't just jump in at Sen regardless, though.

Hello Kiseki GAF,

Thank You in Advance

If nothing else, I recommend starting at the beginning so that you'll have a lot of context sensitive language explained to you as you go. You'll build a huge vocab by the time you get to Sen.

Unrelated: at TGS last week I recorded nearly the entirety of JDK Band's mini-concert. Some good shit in there.

http://www.japanator.com/tgs-2013-jdk-band-live-was-amazing-29661.phtml

Kysen

What makes these games great and the tales series is the voiced dialogue alongside the subtitles. Makes learning/looking up words so much easier. I still need to finish zero but will be picking this up digital on Thursday.

Currently mh4 is eating up all my time.

Auskeek

Can I play this having only played FC (without spoiling other games, yet having an appreciation of what's going on in the story?)

Wasn't really considering getting this, but I enjoyed Tales of Xillia 2 in Japanese using a guide; and SC seems pretty far off so now interested in Sen no Kiseki again.

Can I play this having only played FC (without spoiling other games, yet having an appreciation of what's going on in the story?)

Wasn't really considering getting this, but I enjoyed Tales of Xillia 2 in Japanese using a guide; and SC seems pretty far off so now interested in Sen no Kiseki again.

Probably not. If you have the Japanese to understand Sen, you should probably at least play SC and 3rd first.

Unrelated: thinking about things and Olivier's presence in the game, SC/3rd/Ao SPOILERS
it feels a lot like whatever goes down here is actually just the surface of the main battle between Olivier and Osborne. Feels good to finally go back to him as a character considering he's one of the few members of the party who never has his own sub-story explored at length due to its connections with the overall story.

wrowa

5 years is incredibly optimistic. Look at how long it's taken to get SC.
And there are 3 games after that.

I'm curious. You are teaching Japanese, aren't you? How long do you think it'd take to be proficient enough in Japanese to understand the series if you learn in your spare time an hour a day?

omgfloofy

Banned
RANDOM THEORY TIME.

SC/3rd/Zero/Ao BIG SPOILERS.

Emma's cat is definitely a mythical beast. We've had one in each series thus far, and that thing totally fits the bill.

Continuing on said spoilers!

I actually don't know about this. I know that there's more to Celine than meets the eye, but considering the artwork that's been released of the Master Arts cards from Ao no Kiseki....

http://www.esterior.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/gold03.jpg (Note: as this broke the spoiler tag, this link is artwork from Ao no Kiseki, and it is kind of spoilery, as a heads up, guys. If you know what you're looking for, at least. Not as much as what I've been saying though.)

If she is, then the cat is not her general form at all, or we'd see a cat on one of these cards- Legnard and Zeit were both on the Space and Mirage cards.

Top Bottom