• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki |OT| The Empire Strikes Back

Dunan

Maybe it's my imagination, but the Vita ver. started with 1 star and has since moved up to 2? Unfortunately, the patch isn't enough of an improvement to where it's likely to have any noticeable effect on the reviews. Load times are still "bad," as this is coming from someone who has only ever played the PS ver. of Chrono Trigger.

No; you're right, the Vita version is up to 2.2 now, but the early one-star reviews (the number of which is more than double any other star rating) are all at the top of the review list and are all heavily recommended. Hopefully future patches will get things sorted -- but it certainly doesn't help matters to have people who bought the game this early already be pestered to download a patch just to play the game.

No; you're right, the Vita version is up to 2.2 now, but the early one-star reviews (the number of which is more than double any other star rating) are all at the top of the review list and are all heavily recommended. Hopefully future patches will get things sorted -- but it certainly doesn't help matters to have people who bought the game this early already be pestered to download a patch just to play the game.

The PS3 ver. is at 3 1/2. If it doesn't drop off the sales charts like a rock, I'm guessing it'll be that ver.

Downloading the patch is actually pretty easy and fast. The problem is that it doesn't change the fact that it's still a game with lengthy load times. Going in and out of battles is especially inexcusable.

omgfloofy

Banned
Much like Zero and Ao, you can start on Nightmare immediately. It's not that bad either.

Better than starting a fresh game of 3rd on Nightmare, I'm sure. :D

(aka: i'm not doing that again.)

indeed this loading issue is very strange from falcom imho.

It is a strange thing, but I've seen it before. I know I might sound like a broken record with this, but Ys VI had MAJOR issues when it first came out years and years ago- because the way the Napishtim system ran didn't like all graphics cards. At all. Either the game crashed on load, or it loaded with scrambled graphics, or no graphics at all.

It took Falcom a couple of patches to sort through the issues, iirc.

Netto-kun

Yaaaaay game get. Now to play until I fall asleep.

ib1vppH7GBpiOa.jpg

Shouta

Much like Zero and Ao, you can start on Nightmare immediately. It's not that bad either.

Ah. I just went straight to hard. I didn't really look at the message that was there.

It's odd that Falcom didn't bother adding an auto-screen adjustment pice of code. I have to manually adjust the screen because it clips on my TV. However, it doesn't clip when I output it for streaming. So weird.

So what's the benefit to slashing enemies with your weapon before initiating battle? It looks like they're momentarily stunned, but I don't see any benefit once the actual battle begins.

Sitrus

So what's the benefit to slashing enemies with your weapon before initiating battle? It looks like they're momentarily stunned, but I don't see any benefit once the actual battle begins.

Sometimes they get stunned and you get an advantage, starting first in that battle.

Kamion

My favourite thing about it is the fact that when you need to do quests while helping out the student council, you actually really care about what you're doing. It's a very fulfilling feeling helping out and seeing NPCs have their own development too as the game progresses.

Yes, especially since their personal development gets automatically recorded in the persons notebook. Such a great feature.

It really makes every NPC count for something. They feel like real people.

It actually doesn't do anything if you slash them from the front. You need to slash them from behind. Which you can do easily by repeatedly slashing them and moving behind them during the time they're stunned. If you hit them from behind, they "faint" and you get the first move... also some buffs and stuff.

Shouta

Thanks to Purplepixel and Kintaro for watching tonight. On the fly translation is good practice, lol. I need to drink my water as I go too.

omgfloofy

Banned
I'm in chapter 4 now, but I had an observation as long as you've been through chapter 2, if I recall correctly.

With the elevator in the old school building.

Consider this spoilers for 3rd and Sen (chapter 2+):

If you want to see it, here:
https://twitter.com/FloofyGaming/status/386012663823622144

It's kind of a cracky observation, but one that I couldn't shake. Now that I've compared it, I feel a little better.

End of chapter 3, beginning of chapter 4 spoilers:

Seeing Olivier acting like an older brother and not his typical self is super off putting but also sweet. I love that he's totally chill with his siblings and they actually like him. I always pictured his family kind of being a mess, but he's a good big brother.

It's also weird seeing people actually like Osborne, but I suppose that's what happens when we've only ever seen him from an outsider's point of view. I also had no idea Lecter was gonna pop up in the game since I assumed he'd be dealing with Crossbell stuff the whole time. With the game building toward the big Ao event, I'm really curious to see where they take this.

ALSO MY THEORY IS THAT SARA IS ALSO A FORMER MERCENARY. I AM PROBABLY WRONG.

omgfloofy

Banned
End of chapter 3, beginning of chapter 4 spoilers:

ALSO MY THEORY IS THAT SARA IS ALSO A FORMER MERCENARY. I AM PROBABLY WRONG.

Sounds like I might have eeked ahead of you a bit. I'm just done with the old building in chapter 4.

Still. On that spoiler above?

Can Sara really have been 'just' a mercenary? I'd almost think that's selling her short. She seems like she is much, much more well connected than that.

Sounds like I might have eeked ahead of you a bit. I'm just done with the old building in chapter 4.

Still. On that spoiler above?

Can Sara really have been 'just' a mercenary? I'd almost think that's selling her short. She seems like she is much, much more well connected than that.

I knoooooooooooooooow. And yeah, I haven't done the old building yet.

Continuing said spoiler line.

I knoooow. I was thinking perhaps the church or something? Maybe a former bracer?

omgfloofy

Banned
Continuing said spoiler line.

I knoooow. I was thinking perhaps the church or something? Maybe a former bracer?

I was about to say that 'she doesn't act like she's from the church' - then I remembered Ein. Yeeah.

--on somewhat unrelated note, there's a bunch of us in an IRC channel. Some of you guys should join us. we're in #falcom on rizon. :D

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Man, I didn't expect this game to ape Persona so much. Even the school music sounds like Meguro. :D

I love just running around and talking to npcs. It's really impressive that every one seems to have a unique model and their own name and personality.

Aeana

Man, I didn't expect this game to ape Persona so much. Even the school music sounds like Meguro. :D
Right, and that's one of the main things that's bothering me about this game. I feel really awful because I haven't been able to muster the enthusiasm to play. This trend of niche RPGs becoming school life sims is not clicking with me at all.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Right, and that's one of the main things that's bothering me about this game. I feel really awful because I haven't been able to muster the enthusiasm to play. This trend of niche RPGs becoming school life sims is not clicking with me at all.

I can definitely agree with this. I can handle it being a fun gimmick to set the stage for bigger and better things as the story moves on, but I can see it becoming really tiresome if it follows the formula too closely for too long. I barely managed to force myself through P3 and I never finished P4 because of this. It doesn't even have to do with the fact that I finished high school a decade ago. I'm fine playing as schoolkids, but it's just way too overplayed! I want to give Falcom the benefit of the doubt but the fact that academic points are an actual statistic makes me nervous.

Also wtf Crow just stole my mira. :p

I was thinking about this the other day, but jeezus it feels like the Highlands are bigger than any other area in the entirety of all Kiseki games.

Fucking huge. Looking forward to seeing what else they got in store.

I've also been enjoying the books, though it looks like I missed one. Hope it pops up in the shop soon. =(

Though I get the feeling that Falcom has wanted to do a school themed game since the Royal Academy scenario in FC, I can't really help but feel disappointed that a setting as promising as the Erebonian Empire is being used for the school setup. Prologue/Ch. 1:
The school setting itself is not nearly as annoying as the boob gag being the basis of some pathetic conflict in the beginning of the game.

I wonder what scenario we'll get next. Military?

I'm thinking mercenary actually.

Well that would certainly work. But I have to wonder, with every coming Eiyuu numeral, it seems like the Bracer guild is going to seem awfully redundant unless they make a change to how they handle the basic Kiseki quest system. Perhaps they can separate institutional interests from more general community aid quests and tie those to personal character imperatives. In fact, I almost want to see this game end with the characters graduating and the game's story continuing in some other capacity (which won't happen, I know).

omgfloofy

Banned
Chapter 4 spoilers.

As someone who's been playing the games since FC first came out on PC 9 years ago, I didn't expect to get so emotional FINALLY seeing Heimdallr for the first time.

Shouta

Laura's Great Sword is hilarious for getting the drop on enemies. Just have to hit them from the front a bunch of times until they give in and are stunned.

omgfloofy

Banned
Hey, Ryouga!

I finished chapter 4 a bit ago. I'm borrowing your window so I can THROW MYSELF THE HELL OUT OF IT. --stuff broke my head. :(

Hey, Ryouga!

I finished chapter 4 a bit ago. I'm borrowing your window so I can THROW MYSELF THE HELL OUT OF IT. --stuff broke my head. :(

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Loving the capital. It's crazy to think we're finally here. Also lol CHAPTER 4 MID SPOILERS LOCATION STUFF
Getting housed in the old Bracer headquarters. This really is some plan to raise the next gen of Erebonian Bracers, isn't it? Hahaha.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Ill have to load mine up later on, have not opened it up yet since getting back. D:

Am crossing fingers that the patch folks are talking about helped with the loading times, since that was my major concern from what I was reading from JP users who bought it. Seems like if it wasnt for that everything else should be pretty good!

omgfloofy

Banned
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

You'll need sharp eyes to see it. I'll probably have an image posted on my twitter account in the morning, though. It's not openly said. It's a detail to catch though, in part of the scene.

It'll break you. I promise.

I mean. How many times have I jumped out of your window? xD;;

Aw man, that was awesome. T_T

Chapter 4/Ao no Kiseki spoilers:
I'm super glad Laura and Fie managed to figure their shit out, but holy shit it's Randy's uncle's fault that Fie lost everything essentially. FUCK THAT GUY.

Shouta

Midway through Ch 2 and I'm loving it so far. The school setting actually works well and it really isn't that intrusive. It gives off the P3/P4 vibe without all the day to day grinding that was apparent in those games. It also has the standard Kiseki hubs too which really break it up nicely.

During the Ch 2 hub, the team sits down for dinner and just talks. I realized, I don't think I've seen that in a 3D RPG in ages. It's awesome to see the characters just chat about the situation.

Finally finished Chapter 3 and started Chapter 4. Things are certainly starting to heat up and I love how it parallels Zero so well.

I'm not bothered by the Persona-esque stuff because while that is the meat of a Persona game (since 3 anyway), this is just once per chapter at the beginning (so once every 5-10 hours?) and it is essentially just assigning a point system for something that (more basically) has existed in previous games. It also allows you to learn just a little more about specific characters (whoever you take a liking to or an interest in) early on.

Beginning of chapter 3 non-important non-story related spoiler(?):
The mid-term exam sequence felt ripped STRAIGHT from Persona though, lol.

Also, speculation at the end of chapter 3:
Sharon = masked man? Are we supposed to be thinking that?

Tokitowa has dinner conversations. Ryouga would love to tell you about them, I'm sure.

I will fight you. Zero/Ao/Sen's meal scenes actually make me happy.

Tokitowa's tea party sequences made me want to kill a large bear.

Response to Twentytwo22's chapter 3 spoiler:
I never even considered that, lol. I just figured he'd departed on the ship, and Sharon was just lurking in the shadows watching. Hm.

Also, I KNEW IT. Chapter 4 2nd day spoilers:
I knew Sara was a former Bracer, especially with those skills. So I guess once the guilds fell under in the capital, she got drafted into the school. Hearing Olivier talk about how the Liberl incident changed him and helped him decide how to move forward was pretty cool. He's also a fucking troll. His relationship with his little sister is hilarious, and I love how he was egging her on.

Yes, Class VII. Olivier and his family are bonkers.

Also Machias stuff:
Holy shit that sucks balls. I figured he'd say something like his 'older sister' got died in an accident caused by a noble, but nope. She was driven into depression and killed herself. What. The. Fuck.

Apparently getting one question wrong in the week long test is enough to bump you down to the 700 range and the game registers that you did "poorly?" Geez.

Top Bottom