• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Official Thread |OT|

Gunloc said:
Tom Lipshultz (a.k.a. Wyrdwad) of XSEED posted on GameFAQs some good news about the sales of this game so far...

This is great to hear. I really hope this game continues to keep building it's fan base. The word of mouth has been quite positive so far, so hopefully that will convince more people who are on the fence to give it a shot.

That's good; I remember it was 3rd for PSP for the March when I checked my copy's shipping. Yeah, that's PSP, but still. :p

so far i'm enjoying this game. they weren't kidding about the vast amount of text. some event scenes go on and on. the books you'll find lying around aren't small either. if you want a new world to explore and dive in, this one is a good option.

i found out the time frame for optional quest can be quite small, so if you want to clear all quests, do them right away or you'll regret it.

Augemitbutter said:
so far i'm enjoying this game. they weren't kidding about the vast amount of text. some event scenes go on and on. the books you'll find lying around aren't small either. if you want a new world to explore and dive in, this one is a good option.

i found out the time frame for optional quest can be quite small, so if you want to clear all quests, do them right away or you'll regret it.

The main thing I'm impressed with as far as text goes is how extensive the random town NPCs' dialogues are. Some of them practically have their own side stories which advance as you advance the main plot. It creates a sense of a living world around you.

vall03

hosannainexcelsis said:
The main thing I'm impressed with as far as text goes is how extensive the random town NPCs' dialogues are. Some of them practically have their own side stories which advance as you advance the main plot. It creates a sense of a living world around you.
yeah, especially how theres a new dialogue for all of them after every event and they're not even saying some random stuff which is nice and I havent even started reading Carnelia and the newspapers yet. The amount of text here is crazy.

vall03 said:
yeah, especially how theres a new dialogue for all of them after every event and they're not even saying some random stuff which is nice and I havent even started reading Carnelia and the newspapers yet. The amount of text here is crazy.
And I like that not every NPC story is wrapped up in a nice bow. Some of them end on a sad note or they are still dealing with the problem when your leaving the region.

I'm interested to see if any of these stories will be continuing in Second Chapter.

hosannainexcelsis said:

yes, this is how game arts used to do it when they still made offline RPGs. it doesn't feel like dead npc dialogue when your party members chime in and every random npc has their advancement.

Ratrat said:
How many copies did it sell in japan?

Six figures for each chapter, especially between the PC versions (which came well before the PSP versions). The three chapters combined have broken the million-sold mark, and Zero itself has sold in the six-figure range (in the 100,000+ range, last I checked).

Given the state of the PSP market in the US, I suspect it hasn't quite matched those numbers, but if Tom says it's doing well, it must be doing at least okay.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I just finished the game, exactly 47 hours (I missed one quest and skipped a number of hidden quests). Dat ending.

Can't wait for SC. And I'm glad the trilogy went past 1m in Japan (I assume most of the sales came from the PC?).

DiscoJer

ULTROS! said:
Can't wait for SC. And I'm glad the trilogy went past 1m in Japan (I assume most of the sales came from the PC?).

I don't think so, otherwise why would the PSP be the main platform for the series now?

DennisK4 said:
Is there any chance for an English version PC release?
Maybe there's hope?
Jessica Chavez said:
As for PC versions, we’ve never done it before, but we have heard of this magical thing called STEAM. We’re looking into that too. I’ll pass on your cry for Origins as well. ^_-
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...n-the-sky-hits-psp-march-29th/#comment-536601

The "pass on your cry for Origins" confused me at first, but then I realized she meant to "pass the request on" within XSEED.

the game is good, but masses of text are giving me a headache right know. please let me play once in a while ;)

no, skipping text is not an option.

Ricker

Got to stop spinning the damn camera... lol...loving the game so far,can`t wait to get better defense equipment though,I hate seeing my guys get hit and lose 50 HP just from those damn flowers for instance hehe...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Did any of you guys do grinding? I think you can finish the game without grinding, though I did for
the final stage, the sealed cavern

ULTROS! said:
Did any of you guys do grinding? I think you can finish the game without grinding, though I did for
I haven't finished the game yet, but I haven't been grinding at all and I don't really plan to. Enemies give too little exp to make grinding bearable. After a level or two most give one exp. Thankfully grinding has been unnecessary so far.

i'm in chapter 2 and there is no grinding necessary. maybe this game is just like Ys, where you can't go over a set exp cap to prevent overleveling. this is the best way to do it in rpgs.

Augemitbutter said:
i'm in chapter 2 and there is no grinding necessary. maybe this game is just like Ys, where you can't go over a set exp cap to prevent overleveling. this is the best way to do it in rpgs.

What I do is I explore areas and defeat its monsters before I have quests to do there. I have about 19 hours played and I figure I'm halfway through chapter 1. :p

I'm going to play almost only SOCOM 4 from tomorrow onwards though, so I think I'll just restart from the beginning some time later.

Hobbun

ULTROS! said:

I’ve done some minimal grinding. Although it hasn’t been for xp, it’s been for sepith. I wanted to lock some extra slots/make extra quartz before moving onto a mission.

ULTROS!

Gunloc said:
I'm at the same place, and I'm clocking in at almost 44 hours... XD

So I'm guessing you've been talking to every NPC again after every event. :p

ULTROS! said:
So I'm guessing you've been talking to every NPC again after every event. :p

Of course. You have to be anal about these things! I got really mad when I missed 2-3 conversations with the sister in the Bose chapel. I had even run around looking for any doors in there, but somehow missed it.

Then the priest mentioned a sister. NOOOOOOO!

Giriath_89 said:
Of course. You have to be anal about these things! I got really mad when I missed 2-3 conversations with the sister in the Bose chapel. I had even run around looking for any doors in there, but somehow missed it.

Then the priest mentioned a sister. NOOOOOOO!
Here's another set of conversations that is easily missed in Chapter 1...

The Anelace discussions. *Mild Spoilers*

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
"Played" for an hour, so much dialogue erghhh I just want to play. :(
But then, it's the beginning of the game, guess they want to introduce every little thing to the player through (long-winded) conversations, so I'll hold out until the game starts for real (?).
But it's getting better, with more battles. Love the music as well, and the graphics are nice enough. Kind of wish the game had voice acting in the more important scenes though (even though there's the risk of it sucking). I'm so used to hearing voices in jrpgs nowadays.

Joshua is rapidly becoming a favorite RPG character of mine.

Kiriku said:
"Played" for an hour, so much dialogue erghhh I just want to play. :(
But then, it's the beginning of the game, guess they want to introduce every little thing to the player through (long-winded) conversations, so I'll hold out until the game starts for real (?).
But it's getting better, with more battles. Love the music as well, and the graphics are nice enough. Kind of wish the game had voice acting in the more important scenes though (even though there's the risk of it sucking). I'm so used to hearing voices in jrpgs nowadays.

That is the game for real. Battles are a part of the whole here, not the main focus. It's one of the reason I've described this game as "part Persona" as that flow reminds me heavily of P4.

Yuterald

Augemitbutter said:
any good tactics against the shining poms other than s-crafts? they run fast like metal slimes.

That is the only strategy, really. I've noticed on new game+ my characters can actually do damage to them and hit them. Maybe you need to have a higher HIT stat (that is a stat in this game, right?)

Best way to fight them is going into battle with your gauge at 200 and just letting them have it before they run away. Use your S-Breaks during STR and CRT turn bonuses as well.

yea, i managed to kill one with this tactic. the rest of them will always run away....

guess you'll have to wait until NG+ or have some broken skills on you to kill more. they give insane exp and gems, so killing just one is good enough for me.

You can aslo try your luck with the spell and Quartz that have a chance of instant-death. Just make sure to have the spell casting time-reducing Quartz equipped to get in more attacks.

MechaX

I hope you're happy, GAF. I sacrificed GameStop's Buy 2 Get 2 Deal of Fatal Frame I and II for the PS2, Paper Mario Thousand Year Door, and Disgaea 2 (which admittedly, I probably would have held off until I finished Disgaea 1. IE; Probably Never) and instead bought Trails in the Sky and Paper Mario TTYD.

But after Radiant Historia, I guess having a good light-hearted JRPG would be pretty good for a change.

MechaX said:
I hope you're happy, GAF. I sacrificed GameStop's Buy 2 Get 2 Deal of Fatal Frame I and II for the PS2, Paper Mario Thousand Year Door, and Disgaea 2 (which admittedly, I probably would have held off until I finished Disgaea 1. IE; Probably Never) and instead bought Trails in the Sky and Paper Mario TTYD.

But after Radiant Historia, I guess having a good light-hearted JRPG would be pretty good for a change.

It's a great chaser for TO, too.

The student council at the academy's got kinky minds, don't they?
Joshua! Dress! Now!
:lol

ULTROS!

Ricker said:
Okay,I must be blind or something...where the hell is mayor Klaus in Rolent,I can`t find him...

East of Rolent, in another map.

i'm at the final chapter now...

and missed
three quests in zeiss. i forgot to check the board before heading for the inn. fuck it, i'm no gonna replay that part again and thanks for making quests so time sensitive. it's just bad game design.

Augemitbutter said:
yea, i managed to kill one with this tactic. the rest of them will always run away....

guess you'll have to wait until NG+ or have some broken skills on you to kill more. they give insane exp and gems, so killing just one is good enough for me.

I always save that encounter, go get max CP and see if I can kill them in one turn. If I can't I load up the save I make before engaging them and do everything else I can do in that region and then go back and see if I can do it.

made it to the last dungeon. holy shit, finally a kick-ass track!

before that, i was ready to throw out my PSP out of the window......

what's up with the worthless map on your last visit in the sewers? it's utterly confusing without any real time information unlike all the other maps you're using in the game. i didn't even use a sewer map until then, but try to find an invisible door without real directions. so fucking rage-inducing.

Go_Ly_Dow

I find the boss music to be irritating. I like most of the music but such an important and frequent track in the game is really disappointing.

It also plays during many non major fights so that takes a lot of way from it as well.

However, I love the normal battle music, so that's a huge plus.

Top Bottom