• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Official Thread |OT|

M_Night said:
I find the boss music to be irritating. I like most of the music but such an important and frequent track in the game is really disappointing.

It also plays during many non major fights so that takes a lot of way from it as well.
It changes eventually to something really awesome later in the game.

Even though I quite like the music of this game, it's generally recognized as the weakest soundtrack in the Kiseki/Trails series. As the series progresses, the music improves by leaps and bounds.

Volcynika

I'm back!

Also, I beat the game. Around 31 hours.

The ending :
I'm so depressed about it. Estelle saying she loves him then he just leaves her. D: I want the second game nowwwwwwwwwwwww

Yuterald

M_Night said:
I find the boss music to be irritating. I like most of the music but such an important and frequent track in the game is really disappointing.

It also plays during many non major fights so that takes a lot of way from it as well.

However, I love the normal battle music, so that's a huge plus.

Finally, someone else who dislikes that track! It was my first and only real negative about the game, lol! It's just way too goofy sounding. It sounds like the kind of track that would play if a little kid in a town steals your gold pouch and you chase him down for a quick beating to teach him a lesson. Thank GOD they change the boss music during some of the more 'serious' battles later on. And I agree, the regular battle track is really chill and jazzy.

I haven't spoiled the music for SC or the 3rd Chapter yet so I cannot wait to hear the music in those games. Hopefully the boss tracks are actually cool sounding.

Josh cannot not end up in drag. It is fate.

Yuterald said:
Finally, someone else who dislikes that track! It was my first and only real negative about the game, lol! It's just way too goofy sounding. It sounds like the kind of track that would play if a little kid in a town steals your gold pouch and you chase him down for a quick beating to teach him a lesson. Thank GOD they change the boss music during some of the more 'serious' battles later on. And I agree, the regular battle track is really chill and jazzy.

I haven't spoiled the music for SC or the 3rd Chapter yet so I cannot wait to hear the music in those games. Hopefully the boss tracks are actually cool sounding.

You have no idea. Brace yourself for Awesome.

SatelliteOfLove said:

all tracks above are good, with zeiss theme being my favorite of all the soundtrack. i wouldn't describe them as ass-kickers though. i like the OST overall, but it's nowhere near falcoms best.

SatelliteOfLove said:
However, that track from the military checkpoints is horrid.

heh, agreed. it's quite goofy and just weird to play something like that when you're about to pass armed soldiers and sign papers.

KAL2006

Banned
I find it strange that this game did not get reviewed by the likes of GameSpot, 1UP, Gametrailers and etc. This game just didn't get the attention it deserved, I knew giving the Legend of Heroes title name was a mistake, the original PSP versions has tainted the series in the west.

krYlon

It has just 9 reviews on Metacritic after almost a month of being released. Says it all really.

Luckily it seems like buzz on forums like this has helped it out.

Really, I have played very few games that have this much craft with regards to plot and writing.
It feels a lot like a novel, whereas most other videogames seem to be more cinematic.

Zwei

man, I can't wait to finally get this game. Payday is in a couple of days; I hope the premium edition is still available online. :/

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
After beating the first game, I absolutely need Second Chapter, Third Chapter, Zero, and Blue :3
You can do it XSEED :D!

jorgeton

Just want to echo all the positive feedback this game has been getting -- I'm a little smitten with TitS (pun intended?).

Picked this up late last week because of all the great reviews and am so glad I did. It's the perfect game to play right before bed, as it's pretty relaxing, and as others have mentioned, almost like a novel. I'm at the end of chapter 1, and the plot is definitely a slow burn right now, but it's not boring at all. It's pretty charming. The battle system is also surprisingly engaging.

My only critiques so far are a lack of diversity when it comes to quartz -- my party members all have essentially the same magic spells. I know I'm pretty early in the game, so I'm sure (hoping?) that later on I'll really be able to customize character's magic repertoire. My other critique is the so-so dungeon design. No puzzles to speak of, really, and they've all been pretty short. But aside from that, I'm having a great time and really hope all the sequels make it over to the U.S.

jorgeton said:
Just want to echo all the positive feedback this game has been getting -- I'm a little smitten with TitS (pun intended?).

Picked this up late last week because of all the great reviews and am so glad I did. It's the perfect game to play right before bed, as it's pretty relaxing, and as others have mentioned, almost like a novel. I'm at the end of chapter 1, and the plot is definitely a slow burn right now, but it's not boring at all. It's pretty charming. The battle system is also surprisingly engaging.

My only critiques so far are a lack of diversity when it comes to quartz -- my party members all have essentially the same magic spells. I know I'm pretty early in the game, so I'm sure (hoping?) that later on I'll really be able to customize character's magic repertoire. My other critique is the so-so dungeon design. No puzzles to speak of, really, and they've all been pretty short. But aside from that, I'm having a great time and really hope all the sequels make it over to the U.S.

This game does interesting things with elements, stats, and customization. Having Healing, Magic power, and +HP tied to one element makes for resilient healers, which you just dont see often, caster spec nearly requires it, and benefits everyone having heals because HP matters to everyone. It's a fun balance.

It has just 9 reviews on Metacritic after almost a month of being released. Says it all really.

Luckily it seems like buzz on forums like this has helped it out.

Really, I have played very few games that have this much craft with regards to plot and writing.
It feels a lot like a novel, whereas most other videogames seem to be more cinematic.

There are very few things that come close to ass-pulls in this, or Anime Logic. They were definately planning far ahead and very thoroughly on every plot twist, and that's also sadly rare.

Aeana

I love that you guys love the game.
I hope you continue to have the chance to experience the games in English. :\

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Aeana said:
I love that you guys love the game.
I hope you continue to have the chance to experience the games in English. :\

I'mma buying the trilogy.

Well to be quite honest, I like the SnK/TitS series more than the Ys series now.

Aeana

ULTROS! said:

Well to be quite honest, I like the SnK/TitS series more than the Ys series now.
Well... you're not alone, seeing as Falcom's 30th anniversary game is a new Kiseki game and not an Ys game. (._. )

I love them both, but my love for Ys has burned much longer and has some of my favorite games of all time. Hopefully it doesn't need to be a competition and Falcom can make both going forward.

Just started playing. Really enjoying the old PSX jRPG feel to things. Music is nice as well. Been looking for a nice, light-hearted jRPG to play and this might scratch that itch.

Also the name Liberl makes me lol. DEM DAMN LIBERLS RUINAN MY JRPGS.

ULTROS! said:

Me too.

Not that I don't like Ys, but ultimately the Kiseki series is more aligned with my particular tastes - big world, well-written, enjoyable characters, turn-based combat, and so forth. I'm still in Chapter 1 of TitS (not enough time in my life), but when I sit down for play sessions I become completely immersed.

I think I'm still in the Prologue, but I'm loving this so far. Seems to maintain the character focus that Tears of Vermillion had, and it's also got side quests at the Bracer Guild -- I was pretty disappointed the Adventurer's Guild didn't have side quests in Tears.

The battle system seems to have some nice improvements as well. Oh, and so far the side quests seem to be fleshed out with decent story and dialogue instead of just being fetch quests. A+ so far.

Ferga

loving this game but I really wished there was a wider range of music in it. Not saying it's bad but the songs just aren't feeling right to me for some reason. the graphics look kind of out of date too
loving the gameplay

Aeana

Ferga said:
loving this game but I really wished there was a wider range of music in it. Not saying it's bad but the songs just aren't feeling right to me for some reason. the graphics look kind of out of date too
loving the gameplay
Well, just keep in mind it's a 2004 PC game that was downgraded more to run well on PSP. So yeah it's not going to be the best-looking thing.

Ohgodohshitohshitohgod

Massively great ending. Cliffhanger done right. Joshua is an awesome character.

XSEED, come get my $40 for Second Chapter, right here, right now.

Volcynika said:
I'm back!

Also, I beat the game. Around 31 hours.

The ending :
I'm so depressed about it. Estelle saying she loves him then he just leaves her. D: I want the second game nowwwwwwwwwwwww

That Weissman guy WANTED Joshua to follow him/be in that mindset.

Question about the plot, unless it spoils SC:

In the talk before the castle gates, from what Cassius said, I take it that Colonel Richards wasn't "influenced" long before our heroes entered Zeiss? Or had he already been enacting plans to gather military power in himself via ousting corrupt generals?

i finished my run recently. this game definitely made me a fan, but it does have a long way to go to reach Ys greatness. there are quite a few things i didn't like: very missable quests, duplicate dungeons, unnecessary long-winded dialogue and that stupid last map, grrrrr. the battles were good and rarely drawn-out, i'm eager to see how they handle them in future games.

the ending was extremely good. you can't back out anymore if you get that far.

i loved that they didn't kill off anybody, just to have killed them. so many games do this and i got sick of it ages ago.

good game, now give me more!

Go_Ly_Dow

Man the game really picks up from the end of Chapter 2 onwards. I'm absolutely loving it now!

Oh and I thought it would be a good idea to fight those snakes that keep calling for backup and let them call for backup before I start attacking.

BAD IDEA.

40 mins later I was still fighting them and had pretty much used every medical item I had. I was pretty much stuck in an endless loop and just as I was about to escape and finally give up, I lucked out and managed to kill the final phew before they called for backup and finished my characters.

Sucks there was a 500xp cap on them no matter how many I killed but I actually let out a cheer because I was so relieved.

I've just learned of a infinite money making trick in the game for anyone interested...

Apple Ice Cream can be made and sold for a profit once you know the recipe for it.
No story spoilers above, just hidden in case people don't want to know about the trick.

vall03

M_Night said:
Man the game really picks up from the end of Chapter 2 onwards. I'm absolutely loving it now!

Oh and I thought it would be a good idea to fight those snakes that keep calling for backup and let them call for backup before I start attacking.

BAD IDEA.

40 mins later I was still fighting them and had pretty much used every medical item I had. I was pretty much stuck in an endless loop and just as I was about to escape and finally give up, I lucked out and managed to kill the final phew before they called for backup and finished my characters.

Sucks there was a 500xp cap on them no matter how many I killed but I actually let out a cheer because I was so relieved.
dont do this in the last chapter! The equivalent monsters are pretty nasty because they have a chance to 1HKO your characters which I totally regret doing

I know that the Grancel region has over 100 NPCs, and that everyone has already changed their dialogue over 5 times, but I WILL talk to them all every time... @_@

Grimmy

Banned
Game is really good. Had it for a week now and it's incredibly entertaining. Great characters and a wonderful world that seems alive, with rich cultures and history. Rare to see a game that pays so much attention to details, but therein lies its biggest strength. On chapter 2 now and it's just really charming.

Yuterald

The Grancel theme is actually the same music that plays at the Royal Academy in Ruan. I kind of wish Grancel had its own music, but nevertheless the track is really good. Definitely relaxing.

Just started Chapter 3. That opening scene with that music is so good. My frothing love for this game only increases.
What's Kloe's secret? Why are the black clothed guys hypnotizing people into being evil jerks and what is their big objective? What is the secret of the black orbment? And just what is Cassius up to?
I hope I don't have to wait until SC for most of these answers!

Yuterald said:
The Grancel theme is actually the same music that plays at the Royal Academy in Ruan. I kind of wish Grancel had its own music, but nevertheless the track is really good. Definitely relaxing.

yea, i got sick of it at the end, since you spend quite a while with this track. i was expecting a new music track after the awesomeness of zeiss. still my favorite track.

I was just listening to some songs from Trails in the Sky The 3rd's OST. They are godly.

The music in this series seriously reaches an entirely new level as it progresses.

ULTROS! said:

Estelle suiting up to find Joshua with that clear, determined smile on her face was done very well, especially looking thru the old photos.

Gunloc said:
I was just listening to some songs from Trails in the Sky The 3rd's OST. They are godly.

The music in this series seriously reaches an entirely new level as it progresses.

And how! I went into media blackout concerning Trails music after hearing this; I want nothing further spoiled.

Yuterald

I don't know what to be more excited about, lol! The new music in the next two games or story/character development? It's going to be really tough not to spoil the music over the next year or so, but I absolutely refuse to give any track a listening.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I slightly spoiled myself by looking at the Wiki page of Sora no Kiseki. (._. )

Bought it on Amazon. I need to stop buying portable JRPGs. My backlog is becoming unsustainable! I'll probably play this once I finish Radiant Historia.

Aeana

After reading the interview today with Mikage from Image Epoch and Kondo from Falcom, I'm getting a little bit worried about the series. It sounds like Falcom will continue full speed ahead with the Kiseki series, but it's starting to veer into Activision territory here. I'm not confident that they can keep releasing a new one every year and keep the same level of quality.

I'd rather they slow it down a bit and make sure everything's just right (and release some goddam Ys games).

ULTROS!

It would be better if they switch between Ys and Kiseki every year plus add in random games (Zwei, Vantage, new IPs).

Aeana said:
After reading the interview today with Mikage from Image Epoch and Kondo from Falcom, I'm getting a little bit worried about the series. It sounds like Falcom will continue full speed ahead with the Kiseki series, but it's starting to veer into Activision territory here. I'm not confident that they can keep releasing a new one every year and keep the same level of quality.

I'd rather they slow it down a bit and make sure everything's just right (and release some goddam Ys games).

What did the interview say? After Ao no Kiseki, are Falcom planning to leap straight into the next Kiseki game without a break? I do agree that would be a mistake; as much as I'm loving Trails in the Sky, I wouldn't want Falcom to get stuck in one series.

Yuterald

Aeana said:

I can't imagine Falcom NOT working on Ys Eight for NGP. There has to be another Ys in the work, somewhere. =(

I don't think Falcom will ever enter Activision territory, regardless of how quickly they produce these Kiseki games. What are the importer/Japanese impressions for FC, 3rd C, & Eiyuu Densetsu: Zero no Kiseki? Aren't they fairly positive? Maybe Falcom found that 'Yakuza team fomula" sweet spot? Reuse a bunch of assets to produce the games faster, but still make continuous improvements on the mechanics.

As long as the plot and characters are interesting and JDK keeps producing kick ass tunes then there is nothing to worry about. =)

Aeana

Yuterald said:
I can't imagine Falcom NOT working on Ys Eight for NGP. There has to be another Ys in the work, somewhere. =(

I don't think Falcom will ever enter Activision territory, regardless of how quickly they produce these Kiseki games. What are the importer/Japanese impressions for FC, 3rd C, & Eiyuu Densetsu: Zero no Kiseki? Aren't they fairly positive? Maybe Falcom found that 'Yakuza team fomula" sweet spot? Reuse a bunch of assets to produce the games faster, but still make continuous improvements on the mechanics.

As long as the plot and characters are interesting and JDK keeps producing kick ass tunes then there is nothing to worry about. =)
The Kiseki world and the storylines of the games seem so carefully crafted that I'm not convinced that they can keep putting out the same level of quality on an annual basis. They might still be good for now, but I'm not sure it will last. Plus, people are bound to get tired of it if they keep coming out so rapidly.

Ferga

ULTROS! said:
I slightly spoiled myself by looking at the Wiki page of Sora no Kiseki. (._. )

hate it when i do that ):

i almost did it but i knew how good the story is (my first play through) so I HELD BACK! i went on wiki to read about the changes from pc to psp by the way

i haven't spoiled myself yet and i'm not looking to do so, but i've listened to some arrangements that were scattered among jdk discs since the beginning.

Top Bottom