• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

Finalow

what's this undub pack? Replacing english voices during battles with japanese ones?

I usually prefer playing with the (vastly) superior japanese dub in jrpgs but to be honest I barely noticed it in FC, after 60 hours. people were using that as a reason to don't buy the game? Lol.

Shouta

I just saw some well-dressed warthog soar past my window. I'm on the 2nd floor.

Bought FC and SC on Steam. Now to pick up a few copies to give out to friends and family, lol.

aravuus

Okay, the high chest count doesn't sound that high anymore. 15 minutes into the first dungeon and I've already come across like 10 chests.

sewer levels are tradition

also you might be surprised at the size of that one

Yeah lol, it just keeps going and going. Makes sense though, if you think of TiTS as a single game made up of FC and SC (and TC).

Diablos54

Wait people wouldn't play this game because of a few english battle grunts? Really? -.-
I could understand if it had a lot of voice acting but it had hardly any...
You can even turn the voices off in the first place!
Well, now that this seems to finally be here, time to bail! Hopefully we EU folks won't be waiting too much longer! :)

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
My first Steam Trading Card for this game ended up being my first foil!!
aV8xhn3.jpg
These two are the best trails couple

What are the chances of SC getting a remake ala FC for the Vita? Actually stopped playing SC because I was going to get the Vita version, but I haven't gotten around to ordering it yet...
100%

mjc

I'm in a hell of a conundrum. I have a copy of FC on my Vita, but I'm only like five hours into it. I could grab SC on PSN and continue it on Vita...

Or should I grab both on Steam? What are the benefits to playing on PC besides a bigger screen?

Vamphuntr

I'm in a hell of a conundrum. I have a copy of FC on my Vita, but I'm only like five hours into it. I could grab SC on PSN and continue it on Vita...

Or should I grab both on Steam? What are the benefits to playing on PC besides a bigger screen?

Not much except for achievements and trading cards and that if they do the 3rd game it won't come out on psp/vita.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Well, now that this seems to finally be here, time to bail! Hopefully we EU folks won't be waiting too much longer! :)

Hmm, if that's the case I don't really need the undub pack.

Jiraiza

SC Evolution's coming out in December. It comes with all the same licensing messiness as FC Evolution, though, so it's prooobably not going to get localised. If you can read Japanese you're in luck, though -- http://www.sora-evo-sc.com/

You mean an Evolution version? Pretty good, I guess. Why do FC and not SC and 3rd? The company(ies) responsible would be trolling.

These two are the best trails couple

100%

Hot damn, thank you based Falcom. I better hurry up and get to playing FC then.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

PC version also doesn't have "disc" swapping. Apparently swapping isn't frequent for most of the game but it can be if you do a lot of optional stuff late in the game.

Besides the better graphics and Steam Achievements and etc. the PC release of FC also incorporates script edits to fix problems, including a few that made it more consistent with SC. The edits could not be patched into the PSP version.

HD resolution, HD assets for the interface, text and portraits, complete feature parity, minimal load times, choice of control interface...

The PC version is probably the superior version, on the whole.

Quick question, what do i gain from loading up my psp save from FC?

Gonna direct you to the OP

Durante

For me it's also a matter of principle.
PC games should support arbitrary resolutions, and localizations should include the original voice track. That's how the world is supposed to be.

HD resolution, HD assets for the interface, text and portraits, complete feature parity, minimal load times, choice of control interface...

And 120 FPS! ;)

PC games should support arbitrary resolutions, and localizations should include the original voice track. That's how the world is supposed to be.

As long as money is involved, that last one isn't always going to be possible.

Unfortunately, these are apples and oranges. There's a lot of politics involved in the latter. When we say it's often not possible, we goddamn mean it's often not possible.

It's a huge bummer, but it's reality.

Aeana

Well, first of all, thanks!
Secondly, I won't get into a discussion about the semantic difference between "excuse" and "reason" ;)
Thirdly, how involved is the process? Are we talking simple file replacement, rebuilding an archive, or what?

Well, the source for the voices for FC was the PSP version because the PC version of FC didn't have voices (even the re-release didn't have the same amount of voice as PSP). That required converting the files from .vag to .wav and then packing them into the game's archive format. The PC version of SC always had some voices, but I can't remember if the PSP version (and by extension, this release) added more voices or not. If it didn't then it should be a simple swap between the PC version files, otherwise it'll have to be the more involved process described above.

Varion

The PC version of SC always had some voices, but I can't remember if the PSP version (and by extension, this release) added more voices or not. If it didn't then it should be a simple swap between the PC version files, otherwise it'll have to be the more involved process described above.
Yeah, it did. The player characters were voiced in both versions but at the very least a bunch of the villains (all the Legion members, basically) were silent in the PC version and gained voices in the PSP version.

mauaus

Gonna direct you to the OP

So helpful, thanks!

aravuus

Sooo were FC and SC localized by the same people?

Only a couple of hours in (obviously), but I feel that Estelle is a lot more tolerable in SC. Dialogue feels better. My main problem was with Joshua, though, who kinda sounded like a dumb robot to me, so I hope he sounds better in SC too.

Eusis

I believe the load times should be more or less a non factor on PSP too. I recall Wyrdwad saying that SC ironed out loading issues that were in FC, and those were already very minor. And that's talking about UMD, running off a stick I don't believe FC had any issues and SC should be even better consequentially. I'd like to compare but that require importing SC on UMD now.

Though that's just one minor... Not even advantage, but point of parity, and I believe the textures were said to be better too but that's still going to be blown away by PC.

Only a couple of hours in (obviously), but I feel that Estelle is a lot more tolerable in SC. Dialogue feels better. My main problem was with Joshua, though, who kinda sounded like a dumb robot to me, so I hope he sounds better in SC too.

It had different translators at least.

Different core translator (SC's core script was done entirely by Robin of Carpe Fulgur). SpaceDrake had gotten partway through editing but the rest was done inhouse at XSEED.

Played about 15 minutes, no issues yet.
Gotta leave the house now but that sure felt good.
Once again, a heartfelt thanks to everyone involved in localizing this game.

Eusis

can I grab any complete PSP FC file on the net and put that in my Vita? will that shit even work?
Use PC or PS3 to copy the save to, then if using PC figure out where the Vita Content Manager backs up to then copy the saves to there. Media Go may make this a bit easier.

Core translation (of the whole frickin' game) was handled by my partner-in-crime Robin. If it's in the "main quest", it's largely my editing work (although Jess did a good deal of touch-up work and capturing my ridiculous typos!) I also handled pretty much all the non-town NPC stuff.

'Twas the towns beyond Bose and Rolent (and even some Bose stuff and most non-prologue Rolent stuff) where my wave broke upon the storm-wall of infinite words.

But yes, in the main, the translation staff was different. Hopefully it doesn't feel too different because the two games should definitely feel contiguous, but with my editing work, at least, I was trying to take in a lot of the feedback the PSP edition of FC got and a few characters are approached a little differently than they were in FC.

And then there's Kevin, who is a beast all his own.

can I grab any complete PSP FC file on the net and put that in my Vita? will that shit even work?

Yes. So long as it is in the folder/area where SC will look for FC saves, SC will be able to find and import it. Having FC itself installed is not necessary.

Aeana

Hmm. I didn't receive the stuff I expected to when loading my clear save from FC, during the conversation with Kurt at Le Locle. At least, I'm 95% sure that's when you're supposed to get the stuff.

Hmm. I didn't receive the stuff I expected to when loading my clear save from FC, during the conversation with Kurt at Le Locle. At least, I'm 95% sure that's when you're supposed to get the stuff.

It is. Hm. You're sure it was a full-point clear?

aravuus

But yes, in the main, the translation staff was different. Hopefully it doesn't feel too different because the two games should definitely feel contiguous, but with my editing work, at least, I was trying to take in a lot of the feedback the PSP edition of FC got and a few characters are approached a little differently than they were in FC.

And then there's Kevin, who is a beast all his own.

So far I wouldn't say it's necessarily that much different, just... Better. It has been a while since I played FC, but I feel like SC's dialogue is more realistic and believable. The conversations sound like something real people could have with each other etc.

Also, Kevin is awesome so far. Looking forward to him maybe taking Olivier's place as my favorite character.

Top Bottom