• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

Arc The Lad is easily one of the last bastions of classic jrpgs I've never develed into, I hope to fix that soon.

Just realized I've never played Lunar or Arc the Lad games, and I'm in the middle of my very first Suikoden V playthrough

Arc the Lad 2 & 3 are great SRPGs. Arc the Lad 1 is kind of so-so, but it's a direct prequel to Arc 2 and it's only like 10-15 hours long (unless you do the uber optional dungeon) so it's probably worth playing anyway. Arc the Lad 2 is HUGE and great if you want a massive game for your Vita (1-3 are all on the PSN for dirt cheap and playable on Vita/PS3/PSP). Arc 3 is probably my favorite in the series - it's more set up like a traditional RPG with a smaller cast.

There's also the PS2 games - Twilight of the Spirits is okay, though not as good as the PS1 games (it has a neat dual scenario system where you play as two separate groups before combining later on). I've heard End of Darkness is a rather mediocre Action/RPG but I haven't played it.

jorgeton

I'm still verrry early in this game (Just into Chapter 1), but a couple of music tracks have really blown me away. The theme of the last Prologue dungeon plus that boss music. Love the saturated electric guitar. Very Ys-like. I was playing through the early game thinking "huh, soundtrack's not really doing it for me" then bam, awesome boss and dungeon music.

I also really like the combat system. I haven't played anything turn-based in a while, but this game does a great job of getting your brain involved even during random encounters. Normal mode so far has been just right. Challenging but fair. It shows how good a well-tuned turned based battle system can be.

This game really does feel like a PS1 Jrpg on steroids. The devs have clearly done their due diligence on the history of the genre, so they throw in little wrinkles that surprise me
like the night vision section. that was cool/

I guess the only negative so far is that there isn't any kind of data log on characters or plot from FC. I haven't played FC since the PSP release so I forgot a loooot of things. Characters are popping in and I have no idea who they are.

Tenebrous

Finished chapter 6...

I wasn't sold on the Estelle/Joshua romance by the end of FC, and I'm still not sold on it now. I thought the brother/sister dynamic was a lot more interesting, and I don't see why that sibling-like bond couldn't achieve Joshua accepting that he's not a broken puppet, but instead a young man with repressed emotions.

Still, every JRPG needs to have a romance, I suppose.

I'm still in Chapter 1 of Trails SC, about 10 hours in (I'm taking my time. Don't rush me!) and loving every second. Revisiting these places, seeing what's changed and what's stayed the same, saying hi to NPCs from FC...it's a great feeling. The first few hours really hooked me, and I can't wait for the story to start picking up. The music is an improvement, though I already liked FC's soundtrack, so these new tracks are just icing. The enhancements to the battle system are very cool, and I want to see where they go with the Chain system.

Knowing that we definitely have Cold Steel 1 and 2 coming in the span of about a year is just so, so awesome.

I'm not about to go on twitter and start demanding anything from XSEED, but I will be gutted if we don't get Zero and Ao (and 3rd! Kevin is a wonderful goofball.) in some official capacity. Those games look like too much fun, and I want to get over that barrier!

But until such time, I'm just happy we're getting Trails SC and Cold Steel 1 and 2.

Kensuke

Woah, just managed to beat 2 shining poms in chapter 2. Almost killed a third, but I got a bit too impatient and didn't wait for the proper S-break. Still,
Tita
got 5000+ experience and leveled up like 5 times. Others got 1600 XP. Sooooo good.

Woah, just managed to beat 2 shining poms in chapter 2. Almost killed a third, but I got a bit too impatient and didn't wait for the proper S-break. Still,
Tita
got 5000+ experience and leveled up like 5 times. Others got 1600 XP. Sooooo good.
What's the best way to beat these shining poms?

I was never able to do it, even in FC

Completed Chapter 3.

Olivier dialogue with Mueller is hilarious as ever. The tank battle was kinda of a pain. I was already suspicious of Renne but did not expect her to be the one pulling the strings herself and to have a goddamn mecha. Cant wait to meet more Enforcers, the ones met so far are very interesting.

Kensuke

What's the best way to beat these shining poms?

I was never able to do it, even in FC

I killed those 2 with S-Crafts. Used them as S-Break to get one on a increased strength icon and another one on a critical icon. I'm not sure if they would have died otherwise. If you can use S-Crafts your only option is pretty much Shadow Spear, which can kill them instantly (20% chance of activating).

Yeah, the trick is to build all your party members up to 200 CP before hitting a poms fight, then just unload on them. You will sometimes get lucky with Shadow Spear, too. I think Time/Space arts can hurt them slightly, but basic attacks and elemental Arts seem to do nothing or effectively nothing.

For those of you still asking, Trails is Suikoden x Lunar.

As far as Olivier goes, I think you'll be a little satisfied on that front more fully by the end of the next act's beginning, ironically. The writers know what they need to address, and when.

And yeah, let's not worry about sales volume for a few weeks yet, at least. Hell: I don't even think we've gotten a single major review yet, have we?

My major review: Awesome/10 for what its worth.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
The best way to kill poms is the food items that you throw because they can't miss.

I managed to kill like 4-5 in one fight shortly after getting tita who was like 10 levels below the rest of my team and went to go make a sandwich while Tita's level counted up.

The best way to kill poms is the food items that you throw because they can't miss.

I managed to kill like 4-5 in one fight shortly after getting tita who was like 10 levels below the rest of my team and went to go make a sandwich while Tita's level counted up.

Oh? That's cool to know thanks

Cross-posting Kotaku's feature on Trails SC's localization for posterity.

I just use abuse Agate (with high dexterity stats) and space Arts like Dark Matter to kill my Poms when I don't have offensive food/S-Crafts.

The special fights in this game are so fun, even though most have been easy-ish after my usual half-grind when exploring new dungeons (I do this when fishing too, so I'm low on bait). Seeing
Rolent
swarming with tough baddies going down the highway is bizarre, yet not unexpected, and I love how the quest monsters always put themselves in the most inconvenient locations for travelers to circumvent. Honestly I'm surprised you're given so much time for hunting them down, lol.

Hatsuu

XSEED
I'm not about to go on twitter and start demanding anything from XSEED, but I will be gutted if we don't get Zero and Ao (and 3rd! Kevin is a wonderful goofball.) in some official capacity. Those games look like too much fun, and I want to get over that barrier!

You're preaching to the choir. I'd give anything to work on them. They're my dream titles.

Tenebrous

Chapter 7.
I've bested Bleublanc & Walter in what can only be described as walkover fights. I've seriously struggled more with some of the Bracer guild extermination requests, but hey, that's probably becaause these guys have run away... There better not be a damn boss rush at the end of this game!

wrowa

Are these confirmed for PC, by the way?

No, PS Vita and PS3 only. Falcom has recently acknowledged its new-found success on Steam, but so far there are no signs that they might plan to develop games for PC again, so I wouldn't get my hopes up that there is anything coming.

Yes, the Trails situation is all around far from ideal.

Finalow

having a completed FC save file was worth it, really liking the recurring npcs dialogues when they remember what Estelle did for them or who she is.
there are some enjoyable new sidequests too. hilarious how (chapter 2 sidequest)
Cid threw at me some huge art which almost wiped out the whole party, spammed impede after that. if you win the fight they even comment "wow those arts, are you for realz" or something.

Is Olivier's just really bad as his did zero damage?
for some reason Olivier S-craft is garbage, hoping that he unlocks a new one by levelling up. one of Agate S-craft is pretty much identical but does more damage.

not to mention that Olivier doesn't have the huge EP pool he had in FC, no one else does, actually. it sucks especially if you consider how much they nerfed some spells, Earth Wall now costs SEVENTY EP. road to get EP CUT 4 is long

nice, going to try this. it sucks how they changed the shining poms encounters from FC, in this game they may give more exp but farming sepith seems way way slower, I probably won't ever bother.

There are PC version of Zero/Ao, though, right? I thought I read they were considering doing those.

"If" sales show continuing the series is viable, even then they would have to jump through hoops to get those versions of the games, 3rd would also have to be done before them. Nothing has been confirmed so far, no matter how much some of their employees have stated they'd like to continue on with the series.

There are PC version of Zero/Ao, though, right? I thought I read they were considering doing those.

PC ports done by a Chinese company exist. The Chinese Zero port was furthermore re-localized into Japanese at some point.

It's quite a bit too early to know if anything can be done with that, or if it's even in good enough shape to be worth bothering with.

having a completed FC save file was worth it, really liking the recurring npcs dialogues when they remember what Estelle did for them or who she is.
there are some enjoyable new sidequests too. hilarious how (chapter 2 sidequest)
Cid threw at me some huge art which almost wiped out the whole party, spammed impede after that. if you win the fight they even comment "wow those arts, are you for realz" or something.

for some reason Olivier S-craft is garbage, hoping that he unlocks a new one by levelling up. one of Agate S-craft is pretty much identical but does more damage.

not to mention that Olivier doesn't have the huge EP pool he had in FC, no one else does, actually. it sucks especially if you consider how much they nerfed some spells, Earth Wall now costs SEVENTY EP. road to get EP CUT 4 is long

nice, going to try this. it sucks how they changed the shining poms encounters from FC, in this game they may give more exp but farming sepith seems way way slower, I probably won't ever bother.

You are upgrading slots right? Thats how you get more ep

zakujanai

Tita

My first fight with them was a shining pom, got 7 levels just from that one.

Finished up chapter 2 and I'm incredibly disappointed. The mystery
turning out to be a wacky villain toying with us
worked well in chapter 1, but to use the exact same idea (in a far less interesting @ and more predictable manner) is a huge let down. The monster of the week stuff feels like padding for the real story, something the slow chapters of FC never actually did. I'm sure it'll heat up soon but I don't know whether I can face chapter 3 if I have to replay the exact same scenario again.

Finalow

You are upgrading slots right? Thats how you get more ep
of course, doesn't make that much of a difference. Olivier had some huge 500+ EP pool with no quartz in FC, here I can barely hit 200 with 2-3 slots upgraded.
maybe you can upgrade the slots a third time at some point? Not really helpful if you can do that only in the last part of the game though.

Eusis

I kind of suspect/fear those two will be the lost entries. At best Falcom has a PC version of Ao left unreleased for an Azure localization, but I'm not optimistic there.

I kind of suspect/fear those two will be the lost entries. At best Falcom has a PC version of Ao left unreleased for an Azure localization, but I'm not optimistic there.

I'd say "those 3" would be more accurate since it's an all or nothing type of thing. With 3rd tying into the next 2, there's no reason to work on it if Zero/Ao weren't both being considered as well, Tom has even said as much.

Tenebrous

What the flying fuck at the
Renne
fight?!?
Party gets one shot... Like, totally one shot from full HP. No chance to respond. I'm thinking ahh, it's one of those fights... But nope, Game Over, Retry/Title screen. Wouldn't mind but 3 of my party members have over 7k HP.

Surely this isn't right...
Even with the prevent deathblow accessory I've little chance because it's a Surprise Attack.

Renne
fight?!?
Party gets one shot... Like, totally one shot from full HP. No chance to respond. I'm thinking ahh, it's one of those fights... But nope, Game Over, Retry/Title screen. Wouldn't mind but 3 of my party members have over 7k HP.

Even with the prevent deathblow accessory I've little chance because it's a Surprise Attack.

It's been a few years since I played the game, but you should have various options for guarding 1-3 hits. I think one character has an S-Craft, and there are Arts, as well. I think Renne usually uses the ability at a specific HP range. Again, it's been a while, so I might be a bit off on the details.

FLD

Man, I should probably stay away from this thread for now. I'm only just starting Chapter 2 and seeing all those spoiler tags for later chapters is kinda bumming me out. :(

I'm only like 15 hours in and the pacing is already way more engaging than in FC. I really wish I could take like a week or even a few days to just binge on the game because I'm seriously loving the hell out of it so far.

Tenebrous

It's been a few years since I played the game, but you should have various options for guarding 1-3 hits. I think one character has an S-Craft, and there are Arts, as well. I think Renne usually uses the ability at a specific HP range. Again, it's been a while, so I might be a bit off on the details.

Before I get a chance to attack (without using my own S-crafts), I'm attacked at least 11 times, and that's with the speed quartz. I don't have Father Kevin in the party to absord the first hit, so that's out the window.

I've equipped everyone with anti deathblow & anti petrify, and I just about killed Renne with one party member left. After that, I lucked out and started throwing Celestial Balms about... Very, very fortunate to get through this fight (if I somehow do manage it).

The other 3 were so damn easy. This one really just took me by surprise... I still don't think it's right. It's truly ridiculous compared to the other 3.

:O

Time to bake me some more hardtack; this is some MMO shit.

worked well in chapter 1, but to use the exact same idea (in a far less interesting @ and more predictable manner) is a huge let down. The monster of the week stuff feels like padding for the real story, something the slow chapters of FC never actually did. I'm sure it'll heat up soon but I don't know whether I can face chapter 3 if I have to replay the exact same scenario again.

They were mentioning that they had a real good clue that this was going to happen (remember the "man in shades" bit?) I quite like the "THIS EARTHQUAKE MUST BE THE WORK OF AN ENEMY STAND!" thing going on with this deal.

desmax

Renne
fight?!?

Use Kevin S-Craft right at the start; it will cast Earth Guard on everyone.
EDIT: Oh, didn't read the other post

Tenebrous

Use Kevin S-Craft right at the start; it will cast Earth Guard on everyone.
EDIT: Oh, didn't read the other post

Just beat the fight without it.

Earth Guard would protect from Renne's S-craft only. After that it's still a bit luck dependant to live through the 10-12 attacks from the little robots that fire penetrate beams.

Ridiculous "difficulty" spike.

Wooo!

Almost done with Chapter 2! Just one final side quest left and then back to plot.

The side quest about
hotsprings
was good. Too bad I didn't have an all female team. Heard it's even better if you can do that.

I don't think Walter meant for the Bracers to find him and his experiment, but the encounter gave him a good excuse to test the boss enemies and then make Estelle and crew feel powerless. Bleublanc, meanwhile, is more of a joker who gives them chances to prove themselves, not an outright killer
. There's also more action in Chapter 2 overall; the dynamic between Zane and
Walter
is more disturbing than Olivier and
Bleublanc
. Overall both Chapters are good, but 3 is definitely more interesting for having Grancel Harbor and ambiguity over who's the antagonist.

Top Bottom