• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

Although I wont even have time to BEGIN the first Trails In The Sky until Christmas, bought this off Steam to reward XSEED's efforts. My first full price Steam purchase ever!

Hope you guys have fun!

Ah, yes, that feeling when you have
Gambler Jack Vols. 2 and 3
and realize you must've missed the first one somewhere back in the first hour or two of the game.

Finished up all side quests in chapter 1 and got all BP, stupid crab in didn't drop his stupid claw when I originally did the Sapphril Tower so I had to run all the way back and forth to complete the last quest *estelle annoyed face goes here*

A bit too tired to dive too much into chapter 2, just walked into the orbital factory do to the various side quests there before starting the chapter 2 plot proper.

Steel

Banned
and realize you must've missed the first one somewhere back in the first hour or two of the game.

The first one is (Prologue)
on the second floor of the lodgings in the prologue in one of the locked rooms. When you come back and investigate the scene, it's in the first room to the left after going up the stairs, on the bed.

Sera O

Banned

I had a feeling I missed one last night and then when I looked it up, it seems I needed to talk to someone twice to get it during a very limited window of opportunity... urgh. I need to train myself not to care about these things. The alternative is to play with a walkthrough open, which sounds even worse to me.

You know you're playing a Trails game when you're spending two hours just running around making sure you talk to every NPC before you advance the story at all.

I've missed this series so much.

I'm at 17+ hours and I'm barely into Chapter 2.

redcrayon

Arc the Lad 2 & 3 are great SRPGs. Arc the Lad 1 is kind of so-so, but it's a direct prequel to Arc 2 and it's only like 10-15 hours long (unless you do the uber optional dungeon) so it's probably worth playing anyway. Arc the Lad 2 is HUGE and great if you want a massive game for your Vita (1-3 are all on the PSN for dirt cheap and playable on Vita/PS3/PSP). Arc 3 is probably my favorite in the series - it's more set up like a traditional RPG with a smaller cast.

There's also the PS2 games - Twilight of the Spirits is okay, though not as good as the PS1 games (it has a neat dual scenario system where you play as two separate groups before combining later on). I've heard End of Darkness is a rather mediocre Action/RPG but I haven't played it.
I just finished playing Arc 1 and 2 for the first time last week, and while Arc was OK, the sequel is amazing. Truly epic, it's not often you see such a difference in leaps and bounds between two games developed back to back. I'm really looking forward to playing ATL3 next year.

It reminds me a bit of Trails and Suikoden in that the characters aren't easily pigeonholed as classes, they are interesting characters with abilities that suit them.

My first fight with them was a shining pom, got 7 levels just from that one.

Finished up chapter 2 and I'm incredibly disappointed. The mystery
turning out to be a wacky villain toying with us
worked well in chapter 1, but to use the exact same idea (in a far less interesting @ and more predictable manner) is a huge let down. The monster of the week stuff feels like padding for the real story, something the slow chapters of FC never actually did. I'm sure it'll heat up soon but I don't know whether I can face chapter 3 if I have to replay the exact same scenario again.

They do begin to get a bit genre savvy about it later on; (ch3)
chapter 3 works because Estelle just does not want to believe the villain-du-jour is a villain, despite all the early evidence. Hell, even when confronted with it, Estelle briefly has trouble even processing it.

Also, yeah, Suikoden, Lunar and Arc are the series Trails takes cues from. Robin and I have often talked about how Trails feels as if it's trying to answer, specifically, a lot of the shortcomings or foibles those games had, and to make the genre tropes and cliches in question actually work.

Kirie

I love Kevin's character so much for some reason. Usually characters like him annoy the hell out of me but he's just fantastic and charming :D

Game is so, so good so far. Really tempted to just buy a bunch of copies and pawn them off on all my friends this year for Christmas, lol.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
How does the autosaving work? Is it taking saves every set amount of time. or steps? I notice its taking saves after every transition screen, but when I'm on the same map fighting battles, how often does it take saves?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
How does the autosaving work? Is it taking saves every set amount of time. or steps? I notice its taking saves after every transition screen, but when I'm on the same map fighting battles, how often does it take saves?

Not sure that it does, I think it saves after certain events. I looked out of curiousity at one point and my last autosave had been 45 minutes prior. Which was kind of bad because I was getting lazy with saving and also hadn't done a proper save in about an hour. Could have lost nearly an hour of progress if it had crashed.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Not sure that it does, I think it saves after certain events. I looked out of curiousity at one point and my last autosave had been 45 minutes prior. Which was kind of bad because I was getting lazy with saving and also hadn't done a proper save in about an hour. Could have lost nearly an hour of progress if it had crashed.

Yeah I've had the game crash on me a few times after just opening the Camp menu. I have other stuff open, so maybe it's related to that. I don't know - I love that this game autosaves, but I wish there was a way to make it save after a set amount of time, or something.

I love Kevin's character so much for some reason. Usually characters like him annoy the hell out of me but he's just fantastic and charming :D

Game is so, so good so far. Really tempted to just buy a bunch of copies and pawn them off on all my friends this year for Christmas, lol.

As The Guy Who Gets Props For Writing Him In English, I think Kevin works because, for all that he's kind of a (bad) pick-up artist at times, he still gives a shit about people, especially Estelle. Sure, he wouldn't mind getting to, ahem, know Estelle intimately, but he's also honestly affected by her situation and shows genuine compassion and a desire to help her. It definitely wouldn't work if he really was just An Insensitive Jerk, but because he actually does give something like a damn about the people around him, he's a lot more complete as a character.

MikeyMike

Why is this game so hard to find in the Vita PS store? Had to do a search because it was not showing up in the new releases.

Bought it right away... FC is one of my favorite JRPG of all time.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Why is this game so hard to find in the Vita PS store? Had to do a search because it was not showing up in the new releases.

Bought it right away... FC is one of my favorite JRPG of all time.

It came out on Thursday, but store updates are on Tuesday, so it will show up in the releases tomorrow.

eastx

As The Guy Who Gets Props For Writing Him In English, I think Kevin works because, for all that he's kind of a (bad) pick-up artist at times, he still gives a shit about people, especially Estelle. Sure, he wouldn't mind getting to, ahem, know Estelle intimately, but he's also honestly affected by her situation and shows genuine compassion and a desire to help her. It definitely wouldn't work if he really was just An Insensitive Jerk, but because he actually does give something like a damn about the people around him, he's a lot more complete as a character.

Any idea what happened to the PC patch that PR said was coming today? Doesn't look like the game has been updated yet.

BTW, I really identified with what you wrote on your blog about beating yourself up for past failures. That's a tough thing to overcome.

Kirie

Perfectly put! Exactly how I feel about his character. I really like how he just topples that trope right on its head in ways I wasn't expecting at all. When he first showed up I was like "Oh come on...really now?" and then later on I was so surprised how things were handled. Only negative is that he doesn't
show up nearly enough for me! Wish he had a tad bit more screentime, but totally understand why he doesn't at this point in the game. Then again I'm only on chapter 5 so I'm hoping he'll be around a bit more often in the near future :)

You did a fantastic job with him (I also especially love how he speaks), and I would definitely consider myself a fangirl of his (sorry Olivier! you got knocked down a peg). Thanks so much for all the hard work! :D

Also thank you so much to everyone who worked on the localization in general. You guys and gals rock so much <3

duckroll

Still haven't cleared FC yet, but I'm close enough to the end that I decided to jump in and reward XSEED for actually getting it out. Putting my money where my mouth is! Should be able to jump in by tomorrow. :D

XqKIu2J.jpg

Cleve

After reading the kotaku article I wanted to give these guys a full price sale. God knows when I'll actually find the time to play it, but I'm excited to when I get the chance. This works on vita tv no problems, right?

I'm an idiot.

Spoiler from the prologue:

I didn't retrieve all the equipement in the forest and got ran over by the jaeger dude in the forest a dozen times before realizing that I might of forgot some things. I even started farming ennemies and everything...

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I'm an idiot.

Spoiler from the prologue:

I didn't retrieve all the equipement in the forest and got ran over by the jaeger dude in the forest a dozen times before realizing that I might of forgot some things. I even started farming ennemies and everything...

Hah! I just left behind one item, got it on my first try.

After reading the kotaku article I wanted to give these guys a full price sale. God knows when I'll actually find the time to play it, but I'm excited to when I get the chance. This works on vita tv no problems, right?

Indeedy, all PSP games run on Vita just fine. Though you might want to consider PC if you can play it on a big screen - the PC requirements aren't high!

Something that really impresses me about the NPC dialogue is not just how well they characterize each random NPC, but also how effectively they build the world. I feel like I pick up so much of the world's culture and views on things just by talking to people. Truly this is the mark of a really well thought out world.

They do begin to get a bit genre savvy about it later on; (ch3)
chapter 3 works because Estelle just does not want to believe the villain-du-jour is a villain, despite all the early evidence. Hell, even when confronted with it, Estelle briefly has trouble even processing it.

Also, yeah, Suikoden, Lunar and Arc are the series Trails takes cues from. Robin and I have often talked about how Trails feels as if it's trying to answer, specifically, a lot of the shortcomings or foibles those games had, and to make the genre tropes and cliches in question actually work.

(more ch3 spoilers)
The lesson to learn from this is gothlolis are evil and Estelle should know better.

Also, Julia is beast and WTF at that ending. Shit's gotten wrong in villianland.

duckroll

Something that really impresses me about the NPC dialogue is not just how well they characterize each random NPC, but also how effectively they build the world. I feel like I pick up so much of the world's culture and views on things just by talking to people. Truly this is the mark of a really well thought out world.

Yeah it's really something that I feel JRPGs used to be pretty good at in the 90s and early 00s especially, but as scopes and focus changed it's something that is far less common today. Each location on Liberl feels unique not entirely because of the assets and the way the places look, but because of the people and what they say. There are numerous town NPCs who have nothing at all to do with the game's main story, but yet exist to showcase to the player the sort of lives which people live in that area. It works really well, especially when there are several of these NPCs who will show up repeatedly in other parts of the world as well, reminding the player that people do travel for various reasons other than going on a RPG quest.

One thing I love about the hidden side-quest at
Varenne Lighthouse
in Chapter 1: the controls for the
lighthouse mechanism
seem like common sense, but
the manual provided by Zeiss is unintentionally obtuse to read, as it assumes you care more about the science behind why something went wrong and not just how to get a diagnostic test of the orbal device running
. It's funny how you remember (or can guess) the personalities of individuals from another region just by using something they're providing in another. Meanwhile the
old man
doesn't give a damn about that, but more so the fact that
Bracers are tending to what he can't do himself even though it's off their beaten path
You assume by proxy the role of troubleshooter normally played by someone coming from Zeiss, and end up (if you choose the most compassionate option in dialogue) asserting the principles of all Bracers
. There's no fuss made by the writing in this diversion, either; the game's confident enough to let you relish in thinking of others without making that obvious.

Early Chapter 2 sidequest

I'm in the middle of the investigation at Hotel Blanche in Ruan. I feel like I've exhausted the topics and people to talk to. I have: Kuper, Sounds, Anger, Herio, Lunch, The Bell Toll, and Cleaning Up. I think I've already talked to everyone about everything. Not sure what else to do.

DonMigs85

Yeah it's really something that I feel JRPGs used to be pretty good at in the 90s and early 00s especially, but as scopes and focus changed it's something that is far less common today. Each location on Liberl feels unique not entirely because of the assets and the way the places look, but because of the people and what they say. There are numerous town NPCs who have nothing at all to do with the game's main story, but yet exist to showcase to the player the sort of lives which people live in that area. It works really well, especially when there are several of these NPCs who will show up repeatedly in other parts of the world as well, reminding the player that people do travel for various reasons other than going on a RPG quest.
Yup, that's why I hold this series in the same high regard as Lunar and Grandia

zakujanai

Anton, love that guy.

I'm in the middle of the investigation at Hotel Blanche in Ruan. I feel like I've exhausted the topics and people to talk to. I have: Kuper, Sounds, Anger, Herio, Lunch, The Bell Toll, and Cleaning Up. I think I've already talked to everyone about everything. Not sure what else to do.

Can't remember which trigger you're missing so speak to everyone about everything again, there's definitely more. Might be the
old guy outside about lunch or the bells? He gives you another name I think anyway.

Yes, even things as simple as showing traveling merchants who show up in different areas goes a long way to showing that this is a real world and people actually do just travel around for a variety of reasons. The sames goes for seeing people travel to meet up with people from another city.

You really do feel like you're just one person and that all these people have their owns lives that you aren't a part of. Between the newspapers and then how everyone in town has their own reaction to the events of the world, I also feel like I pick up a lot on the education level of the world, how much people pay attention to current events, and what's important to them. And it's all done with a very light touch. I'm impressed by this.

One thing I love about the hidden side-quest at
Varenne Lighthouse
in Chapter 1: the controls for the
lighthouse mechanism
seem like common sense, but
the manual provided by Zeiss is unintentionally obtuse to read, as it assumes you care more about the science behind why something went wrong and not just how to get a diagnostic test of the orbal device running
. It's funny how you remember (or can guess) the personalities of individuals from another region just by using something they're providing in another. Meanwhile the
old man
doesn't give a damn about that, but more so the fact that
Bracers are tending to what he can't do himself even though it's off their beaten path
You assume by proxy the role of troubleshooter normally played by someone coming from Zeiss, and end up (if you choose the most compassionate option in dialogue) asserting the principles of all Bracers
. There's no fuss made by the writing in this diversion, either; the game's confident enough to let you relish in thinking of others without making that obvious.

That was a really fun quest. The whole thing was definitely obtuse, but it made a lot of sense and it fits in with the world perfectly. Vogt's reactions during the whole thing are really good, too. He feels like a very well fleshed out character, despite just being your run of the ill NPC.
I'd say that quest has been a nice highlight so far in the first two chapters. Simple and sweet, but definitely memorable and it felt like it just had the whole heart of trails as a series in it.

aravuus

I wish more JRPGs paid attention to these kind of details

Considering how most JRPGs don't actually even try to establish the world as a living, breathing place, though, I guess it's understandable why NPCs are usually very static in them. It's definitely one of the things TiTS does incredibly well.

mugwhump

Is there an in-depth breakdown of the combat system anywhere? I'd like to know the turn order formula.

And just checking, but crafts that boost your strength won't affect arte damage, right?

Go to the bottom and check what you missed: http://game.midoshiro.com/trails_in_the_sky/sc/1/quests/

Moonlight

Banned
The Sapphirl Tower treasure chest enemies make me want to die. Holy shit, the initiative they have on their arts.

EDIT: I DID IT. I actually can't believe I did. There was a moment I was wondering if it was actually possible at my level, but I did it after luck finally came my way. Poms didn't automatically start casting that ridiculous ice AoE and they lined up pretty nicely to take out with Comet. Managed to keep the two together so Schera could handle healing duty and keep everyone relatively topped off. Everything after that was tedious and resource consuming (especially since I had to rely on Estelle's fire spells), but I managed to do it. God, that feels great.

Chapter 1

Oh my god its Olivier! I missed him so damn much!

Already loving this game. I want nothing more than to just take a week off from classes/work and put serious time into it. Man real life can suck sometimes.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Realized I posted in the wrong OT since someone bumped the FC thread. Explains why there hadn't been many posts today.

End of chapter 3 was a huge difficulty spike. Was not prepared for what it throws at you at all, only had about 6 EP charges.
That barely got me through the tank battle since you need arts to even medium-ish damage, and you need a lot of MT healing. Then I lost to Amalthea on the first try because I had almost no EP, and she was spamming mines and getting a ton of healing bonuses in the process. Wasn't able to deal damage and heal fast enough to do much of anything before I ran out of resources and lost. Second try was luckier, with less mine spam and healing bonuses so I was able to beat her before my very limited EP pool ran out. Thought I was going to have to go to my last save and buy stuff.

It's dumb that she can get 3-4+ consecutive turns in by placing mines multiple times and then attacking. Feel like that may even be a bug in the PC version.

Beginning of chapter 4,
that fight with Mueller was fun, just too long since once you figure out the one easy trick he has no real shot at winning.

Framerate continues to be annoying. Game just stutters a lot in certain places for seemingly no reason. GPU usage peaks around 15% but is usually closer to 5%, almost wonder if the game is so undemanding to run my GPU is actually not even "trying" to run it. Or maybe it's an issue with the game, or a settings conflict somewhere.

Well then, chapter 6
is when shit starts getting real.

Also found an amazing bug in the chapter.
Once you get Edgy Mcgee back in your party, there's these red barriers that raise when you get close to them, seems Joshua is afraid of them and if you get anywhere near them it stops you in place and all you can do is spin there and you have to reload a save to be able to do anything. It's not "terrible" for most of the barriers since you know they're coming, but there's some that are right next to doors and if you enter a hallway with a barrier next to it, you get fucked.

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight
Yes, even things as simple as showing traveling merchants who show up in different areas goes a long way to showing that this is a real world and people actually do just travel around for a variety of reasons. The sames goes for seeing people travel to meet up with people from another city.

You really do feel like you're just one person and that all these people have their owns lives that you aren't a part of. Between the newspapers and then how everyone in town has their own reaction to the events of the world, I also feel like I pick up a lot on the education level of the world, how much people pay attention to current events, and what's important to them. And it's all done with a very light touch. I'm impressed by this.

One of the things that struck me when I wandered around Rolent for the 1st time in SC was that I remembered who most of the random NPC's around the town actually were, they're not just sources of information or funny lines, but you actually get the impression that the characters have lives beyond the Player Characters story.

I can't decide whether to get this on PC or vita. Are there any differences?

PC version can be patched to fix bugs and translation issues, has higher resolution options and slightly better graphics, and the us release got the few psp exclusive features back ported. Unless you want to play on the go pc is the definitive version. Heck even on the highest setting the games so easy to run any laptop can do it fine.

PC version can be patched to fix bugs and translation issues, has higher resolution options and slightly better graphics, and the us release got the few psp exclusive features back ported. Unless you want to play on the go pc is the definitive version. Heck even on the highest setting the games so easy to run any laptop can do it fine.

It's not a matter of running it its just a matter of wanting it on the go. Maybe Ill buy it twice...

epmode

PSP version is fine if you want to play it on the go. I don't know how it would look on the VIta though, maybe a bit blurry?

PSP games on a Vita look exactly the same as they would on a PSP of the same size. The Vita's resolution is a perfect multiple of the PSPs so no crazy, blurry scaling methods are required. It's straight pixel doubling.

Top Bottom