• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

Kloe doesn't gain CP from using Kaempfer anymore, that is correct. I think Gladiator Headband works a little differently in this game too. Not sure if spoiler so I'll just mark it anyway, this doesn't have any story spoilers and just discusses character strength:
That being said, Kloe is still an amazingly good character. I believe she has the highest base arts damage in the game and the highest arts speed and of course the all-healing S-Craft is quite the lifesaver in tough battles. She has two weaknesses one being range and the other being orbment setup but both can be mitigated fairly easily. Probably her biggest actual problem is that unlike Olivier she doesn't have any range on her Impede craft and you don't want to be running her to the front lines to stabby stab monsters & dudes out of crafts and arts.

The more flexible orbment options in SC really does help Kloe out compared to FC where she was almost forced into healing arts exclusively and couldn't access the top tier arts.

If we're talking the worst character it's probably Tita. Olivier can do everything she can do but better. Kind of a shame, still using her for fun though.

Someday I'll write up a spoiler-marked tier list for both games and we can have a nice discussion over which characters have the best overall utility.

Is this actually spoiler talk? Well whatever, I'm good for it.

Kloe and Olivier are still tops for the 3rd and 4th slots in my party usually so I agree that she's still amazing. Although Kloe is more flexible in her arts this time, she's still pretty tops at healing so it's tough to get her out of that pigeonhole. I'll totally agree that Tita is one of the worst, alongside Schera at my point in the game (Chapter 7). They still have their uses though. Schera is sadly way too average to be partnered up with Estelle IMO (since Estelle is pretty much good at most things). Even considering those two as lesser than average, Schera can abuse Heaven's Kiss for good results and Tita's Smoke Cannon can trivialize a lot of multi monster battles like during sidequests or treasure monsters.

That's pretty much what I think of the best/worst during my playthrough.

And I dunno if there's any real reward for a perfect BP run, but if I gotta go fishing for another pearlglass next run I'll be sure to nab that bamboo rod lol.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I got a Ch.5 question for those who've finished it:

When entering the dragon's lair, Khloe sent a message to General Morgan using Sieg. However, Khloe is completely optional to the party at this point (I had her in mine). Did anyone else not use her? If so, how did that scene play out (if it even exists)?

Doesn't Kloe tell Sieg to go with Estelle if she isn't there? So Estelle probably sends the message.

Is this actually spoiler talk? Well whatever, I'm good for it.

Kloe and Olivier are still tops for the 3rd and 4th slots in my party usually so I agree that she's still amazing. Although Kloe is more flexible in her arts this time, she's still pretty tops at healing so it's tough to get her out of that pigeonhole. I'll totally agree that Tita is one of the worst, alongside Schera at my point in the game (Chapter 7). They still have their uses though. Schera is sadly way too average to be partnered up with Estelle IMO (since Estelle is pretty much good at most things). Even considering those two as lesser than average, Schera can abuse Heaven's Kiss for good results and Tita's Smoke Cannon can trivialize a lot of multi monster battles like during sidequests or treasure monsters.

That's pretty much what I think of the best/worst during my playthrough.

And I dunno if there's any real reward for a perfect BP run, but if I gotta go fishing for another pearlglass next run I'll be sure to nab that bamboo rod lol.

It isn't really spoilery at all, since it is all gameplay talk. I feel like people tagging random gameplay talk is probably more detrimental than not since it makes reading the thread that much more intimidating for folks early in the game.

So, not tagging. IMO Kloe's focus on healing arts due to her water slots isn't really a bad thing. The only two elements worth stacking up in high amounts are water and time, so the fact she has water slots is pretty beneficial. More useful than Olivier's mirage, even if it is only one (can use EP there, but EP Cut is better, but space element).

The only downside seems to be that for the most optimal setups (that I've managed, at least) she ends forgoing any fire. Still has the other elements well covered though (earth, water, wind, time, and lots of support). If she had two water slots instead of three she would be probably be too good.

Just finished Chapter 3!

I knew how important Renne was and what her role was, but I didn't expect things to play out like they did. All those series of boss fights didn't help my item inventory. >_<

Kevin had some really good lines throughout, he just keeps being awesome!

Loved this chapter, really liked how well Renne orchestrated it and that the only reason she didn't kill was because Loewe asked her not to. Can't wait to start chapter 4 tomorrow!

T4Lcqsw.jpg

I know your pain. Those sewers suck, a lot. I had to track down a map. Oh and just so you know
there are two more sewer monster hunts in the game. Cheers!

On the bright side there is some AMAZING loot down there.

Anyhow:

Welp, back at the end of Chapter 8, did all the quests, got all the volumes of Gambler Jack, time to sit down and read them before the end. I am glad I made the trip back to
Bose, the new stuff in the market was kickass!

Doesn't Kloe tell Sieg to go with Estelle if she isn't there? So Estelle probably sends the message.

It isn't really spoilery at all, since it is all gameplay talk. I feel like people tagging random gameplay talk is probably more detrimental than not since it makes reading the thread that much more intimidating for folks early in the game.

So, not tagging. IMO Kloe's focus on healing arts due to her water slots isn't really a bad thing. The only two elements worth stacking up in high amounts are water and time, so the fact she has water slots is pretty beneficial. More useful than Olivier's mirage, even if it is only one (can use EP there, but EP Cut is better, but space element).

The only downside seems to be that for the most optimal setups (that I've managed, at least) she ends forgoing any fire. Still has the other elements well covered though (earth, water, wind, time, and lots of support). If she had two water slots instead of three she would be probably be too good.

Kloe can also equip the best spellcasting armor as well, around chapter 4 or 5 I was able to give her +150 to ATS which made her spellcasting off the charts powerful, so she could heal AND do arts damage better than anyone else. She sucks when you first get her, but she becomes a LOT better afterwards.

Tita gets a lot better too, once her weapons stop being S range and become M, and once she gets the long barrel, she can actually do decent damage to a lot of enemies. She still isn't top tier, but she at least isn't horrible like she is in the early game.

flowsnake

I guess I'll try using Kloe again in Chapter 5 now that they changed the fixed party members. I've mostly just been using Olivier and one of the physical attackers in the two slots.

Nyoro SF

Kloe can also equip the best spellcasting armor as well, around chapter 4 or 5 I was able to give her +150 to ATS which made her spellcasting off the charts powerful, so she could heal AND do arts damage better than anyone else. She sucks when you first get her, but she becomes a LOT better afterwards.

Tita gets a lot better too, once her weapons stop being S range and become M, and once she gets the long barrel, she can actually do decent damage to a lot of enemies. She still isn't top tier, but she at least isn't horrible like she is in the early game.

Agree about Kloe, though it doesn't take very long for her to become top tier.

Problem with Tita is that a good M-range gun doesn't become purchaseable til very late-game (and the other M-range gun in a chest is almost immediately discarded for one with better attack power). Her damage is consistently a tier lower, her health and defense is abysmal, her speed and movement is awful, and her S-Craft that strikes all enemies can barely do a real dent even with Critical slotted.

Not to mention her Crafts have almost no flexibility; no Impede option or AT Delay/Advance or range options, most mid-tier bosses and higher are immune to Smoke Cannon, Vital Cannon is superceded by Arts and Items almost immediately (and for some reason can't be fired anywhere on the field). Oh and her Orbment layout is, I believe, the worst in the whole game, I usually flinch when I look at it. :p

I'm honestly scratching my head why they made her the worst character twice running. At least up her speed because she's a sprightly little kid or make her arts defense really strong for no reason. Maybe Tita is supposed to be used by people to make the game Hard Mode before an actual Hard Mode.

Question about the opening bit of chapter 4 where you play as
Joshua. In the guide I'm using it suggest getting Josette's CP up for the boss fight against Mueller, but she was an npc the whole segment. Is she playable there in the psp version and not the pc? Or is this guy completely fucking up?

Nyoro SF

Question about the opening bit of chapter 4 where you play as
Joshua. In the guide I'm using it suggest getting Josette's CP up for the boss fight against Mueller, but she was an npc the whole segment. Is she playable there in the psp version and not the pc? Or is this guy completely fucking up?

That guy is fucking up, Josette is always an NPC. That fight was a lot of fun, Mueller has some amazing attacks.

That guy is fucking up, Josette is always an NPC. That fight was a lot of fun, Mueller has some amazing attacks.

Chapter 6 spoilers:
I like this glimpse that they're both secret badass spies(?)

Also lol@ Josette insisting on coming in on that clash of the titans and getting worked in my fight.

Nyoro SF

I died :(. Do you get something for winning it?

I don't think so, just some slightly different dialogue. I blame Clock Down for making that fight mostly a cakewalk, but if you don't use it I don't think it's even possible to win against him.

Chapter 6 spoilers:
I like this glimpse that they're both secret badass spies(?)

Also lol@ Josette insisting on coming in on that clash of the titans and getting worked in my fight.

Indeed. The namedrops were masterful at that last part.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Maybe more BP? Might be entirely optional, but I wasn't going to let myself lose that fight.

There's actually a sort of similar one later.
It's harder because the enemies are more annoying but not all that strong, and there is a time limit. You do get extra BP for winning but it doesn't change the events at all.

I think you get a bit of sepith? It's not really a big deal, but between Clock up (EX?) and Clock down I don't think Mueller has much of a chance. You could probably use flicker a couple of times if you want to play around and really dislike the idea of him getting a turn lol.

Thinking back though, I'm not sure if he was immune to AT delay like some bosses are.

Oh, it's not game over if you lose that fight? Interesting.
I wish it was! I underestimated him and just yolo'd it, which didn't work, and the game just continued. Would have loved to try again but just decided to just to go with that outcome.

Also years if JRPGS have tought me to not even try status changes on bosses so I didn't even think about Clock Down... :|

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I wish it was! I underestimated him and just yolo'd it, which didn't work, and the game just continued. Would have loved to try again but just decided to just to go with that outcome.

Also years if JRPGS have tought me to not even try status changes on bosses so I didn't even think about Clock Down... :|

Protip: ALWAYS attempt Clock Down on bosses if you have it. Because it usually works, and it's extremely good.

Launch hasn't been that much smoother than FC's (PSP content is wonky, achievements don't work right, and there's still text to fix, no surprised given the game's size), but the improvement's notable.

I would certainly say it's dramatically better. SC's launch has had some funkiness with incorrect text or achievements that don't fire; FC had broken gamepad support and flat-out didn't work for quite a few customers, which led to what apparently was a pretty grueling marathon session of fixes. This seems a lot less rough in comparison.

I would certainly say it's dramatically better. SC's launch has had some funkiness with incorrect text or achievements that don't fire; FC had broken gamepad support and flat-out didn't work for quite a few customers, which led to what apparently was a pretty grueling marathon session of fixes. This seems a lot less rough in comparison.

I'll second this. FC's first week was really rough, there were a bunch of issues and crashes that essentially forced me to stop playing it until they patched. SC hasn't had anything that severe.

OK, where the hell do you turn in the Gambling Jack volumes?

Edit: Figured it out.

The bracer guild, of course. I thought it was locked like everything else.

Erheller

I think you get a bit of sepith? It's not really a big deal, but between Clock up (EX?) and Clock down I don't think Mueller has much of a chance. You could probably use flicker a couple of times if you want to play around and really dislike the idea of him getting a turn lol.

Thinking back though, I'm not sure if he was immune to AT delay like some bosses are.
I tried using Flicker on him, but he resists that. I just ended up spamming Joshua's double attack, using Clock Up Ex (I didn't know that you can clock down bosses), and healing whenever HP dropped below 4000.

I don't think so, just some slightly different dialogue. I blame Clock Down for making that fight mostly a cakewalk, but if you don't use it I don't think it's even possible to win against him.
I just spammed
Joshua's two-hit craft over and over and over, occasionally healing. Josette helps a little, too, if you can keep her from getting mauled.

I tried using Flicker on him, but he resists that. I just ended up spamming Joshua's double attack, using Clock Up Ex (I didn't know that you can clock down bosses), and healing whenever HP dropped below 4000.

Oh, I stand corrected then.

Still, Clock up/down lets Joshua run circles around Mueller. Just gotta keep the HP above however much Mueller's S-break does for damage. Unfortunately Mueller knew what was up and murdered Josette pretty much right off the bat.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Maaan that miniboss in the last chapter is annoying.
Has a 1HKO on a NPC, you basically have to hope the boss doesn't use it.
Twice now I've lost because of that.

Decide to prioritize earth guard and then the boss completely ignores the NPC.
Figures.

Nyoro SF

I would keep boss attacks and anti-boss strategies spoiler tagged. A lot of the fun comes from figuring out how to deal with them on the fly, it's no fun if you tell me what a boss can do before I reach it.

Major text bug in Gambling Jack Vol5....

I marked where the error is:

RdPJ0Nm.jpg

What the hay? Was perfectly fine in the old batch:

3R8VjO5.jpg

A goof from when the quotes were being fixed maybe. The 'Jack' 'King' and 'Who' sentences all have the old quote issue during this round, so I'm betting that's the case. Will pass it on to be adjusted in the PC version, but major bummer. :(

Nyoro SF

During some parts of the game I got zenkaku ellipses. Didn't hinder my enjoyment of it though, in fact the extra width between ellipses added some more shock value. lol

duckroll

What the hay? Was perfectly fine in the old batch:

3R8VjO5.jpg

A goof from when the quotes were being fixed maybe. The 'Jack' 'King' and 'Who' sentences all have the old quote issue during this round, so I'm betting that's the case. Will pass it on to be adjusted in the PC version, but major bummer. :(

Yay at least I know what it's supposed to say now! I don't envy anyone having to go through all the text in this game. Lol.

DonMigs85

Also was the fat ambassador supposed to be glutinous or gluttonous? I'm honestly not sure, as both are apt in different ways lol

Dio

Banned
Oh hey, I found some cool Trails merch in Akiba. Figures I'd be finishing SC while having to stare at the incredible Ao no Kiseki Evolution limited edition.

EU PSN version is up

https://store.playstation.com/#!/de...y-sc/cid=EP1023-NPEH00166_00-TRAILSINTHESKYSC

EDIT: I noticed that the store description in several languages is machine translated. I know Sony requires a translation, but would it be so hard to get the 10 lines translated by a human at least for EFIGS? It looks so unprofessional :(

EDIT2: You can't find the game on the webstore by searching for "Trails", because there is no space after the ":"

"Legend of Heroes:Trails in the Sky"

I'm most likely 3/4 of the way through Chapter 9/Finale now. That sense of dread's returning despite the calm in events back at HQ&#8212;warm-up bosses have been fun, and seem to be getting clever.
Renne and Pater-Mater
was a slow but steady marathon, the reason I brought along Agate. And I'm relieved that you fight
Blueblanc, Walter, and Luciola first, since I need to use two other saves to see the major before-/after-battle dialogue
. A neat touch so far is how, if you
loot the Glorious, you can get a second Grail Locket. Placement like that is subtle: the game's courteous to players who slammed through the plot and didn't reach a rank high enough to get a Grail Locket, but it also feels like this was placed with Estelle and Joshua in mind
. Now I just wish Sara could work voodoo sometime later by adding some means of skipping animations, if possible. The
Halo Rail and elevator
animations take forever. The game was optimized to run on lower machines even in 2006, I know, but Falcom must have realized this would get tedious for anyone playing on newer PCs.

Also,
the gigantic Orbment-like machines in Factoria are so cool. Liber Ark really is a gigantic Orbment in ways, a bizarro Laputa housing a jealously protective gift of the Goddess. The backstory isn't as cool as Darm Tower's, but I'll take it.
Trails in the Sky really is a grab-bag of tropes anyway, and the developers knew which tropes needed more development to stand out.

panzone

Ended Chapter 6.

Uao, just uao. The climax is incredible and I know more is coming. It was worth wait for all this time, thanks XSEED. Seriously.

Just a rapid question about Chapter 7:

Since now I have to explore the towers, there aren't any subquests ?

Few bugs in Chapter 9 on PC:

There are several points where terminals will not let me pick an option with my gamepad, and I have to use my mouse. These all happened in the first area after the
first Halo rail makes you run through the tunnels to the residential area.

Second bug is
when I went walking to the lower area outside the Arseille, I'm now stuck after walking down the wing and talking to one of the royal guard members there. I have a pic, but steam is asking to restart, and I have a save there as well.

Image link in spoiler:

wrowa

EDIT: I noticed that the store description in several languages is machine translated. I know Sony requires a translation, but would it be so hard to get the 10 lines translated by a human at least for EFIGS? It looks so unprofessional :(

I always wonder why they wouldn't just ask one of their fans to provide a translation. If you can't justify the cost of a translation, fine, but it'd be so easy to find native speakers of the different languages (at least the major ones) in places like GAF, who would gladly give it a shot. The result might not be breathtakingly good, but better than the Google monstrosity.

I always wonder why they wouldn't just ask one of their fans to provide a translation. If you can't justify the cost of a translation, fine, but it'd be so easy to find native speakers of the different languages (at least the major ones) in places like GAF, who would gladly give it a shot. The result might not be breathtakingly good, but better than the Google monstrosity.

Yeah I was about to suggest that. I guess you could consider it unproffessional to ask random forum people, but a machine translation is even worse imo.

Another question, for the vets:

How many pieces of Zemurian Ore can you get? I assume its rare, as I got one from the Gambler Jack turn in, but I found another by exploring the residential area, are there enough for all the weapons?

Varion

Another question, for the vets:

How many pieces of Zemurian Ore can you get? I assume its rare, as I got one from the Gambler Jack turn in, but I found another by exploring the residential area, are there enough for all the weapons?
Just the two. The residential area one was a PSP version extra -- in the original, you could only get the one. And could only choose between a weapon for Estelle and a weapon for Joshua.

Shahed

EU PSN version is up

https://store.playstation.com/#!/de...y-sc/cid=EP1023-NPEH00166_00-TRAILSINTHESKYSC

EDIT2: You can't find the game on the webstore by searching for "Trails", because there is no space after the ":"

"Legend of Heroes:Trails in the Sky"

This just happened to me. I ended up finding it my searching for vita games by newest first...

Now I need to finish FC again quick. Want to play this so badly

Top Bottom