• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Gu4n

I can't picture the enemies I have fought so far in my mind. I find them forgettable. Dungeons do not do a great job with ambiance: Textures and layout are very simple. Look repetitive.

Maybe a good counter-example could be Digimon Cyber Sleuth. Dungeons are usually very simple as well, but they look pretty. Another vita example could be FFX HD, game is an eye candy.

Even P4 that is a dungeon crawler...dungeons have more 'personality'.

I've only seen two dungeons so far, but the problem is they are very samey. My concern is that this stays true throughout the game.

Thanks for the other info, I'll keep at it a few more hours.
If you find the monsters repetitive, try getting their Monster Info for your student book and read their individual descriptions. Some are more memorable than others and some are palette swaps from yet others. The same could be said about any series, though.

In terms of dungeons: what you've seen so far takes place in the same building, so it's not surprising they look similar to one another. There are a couple of more areas to go through in that same building, and, equally unsurpisingly, they make use of the same textures but different gimmicks. Dungeons outside that building have their own textures, but are not by definition more interesting. I personally do find them interesting, but that's because I can draw comparisons with dungeons or patterns in the other games in the series. So while the dungeons get slightly more interesting visually than what you've seen by name, it never reaches the levels of the games you mentioned -- those are games created with far larger budgets, larger teams and with more time than Trails of Cold Steel put together with.

Seeing your nickname and avatar, however, I really encourage you to overlook the game's visual flaws and endure until the game's political dimension comes around.

Famassu

I have only clocked ~60mins, and this is why I do not like it so far:
-Really bland dungeon, town, and enemy designs.
Don't really understand what's so bland about the town. The school dungeon is fairly boring from a visual POV (though they do come with some gimmicks/light puzzles later on that will make them a bit more interesting) and early enemies are perhaps a bit bland, but there are more imaginative ones as well. Dungeons (or "dungeons") get a bit more interesting as you get past the school town, since you'll spend more time outdoors and there are some more mystical dungeons as well.

-Game is too tropey (characters are too archetypical, many scenes and behaviors are very predictable or cliche. For example, not even an hour has elapsed and we get a scene where female character lands on MC -> awkardness -> girl calls out MC and slaps him)
This is just the way Trails games often introduce characters. They start off as more or less tropey characters and then they actually turn out to be more or less fleshed out individuals. They don't necessarily get rid of their tropey side completely but there's more to every character than meets they eye at first sight and they get some fairly decent, believable character development. Like the cliche female character fall-over-boob-accident thing. It's cringeworthy but the game gets past that in, like, later on in the first chapter so it's not something that dictates the way those characters interact for the game's 60-80+ hours.

-Battles feel slow and do not require a lot of strategy (to be fair, this is probably because the game is starting, but it should not necesarilly be this way...see SMT series for example)
The game is fairly easily breakable since there are some OP characters & character combinations, but there are some difficulty spikes & more challenging battles. So it really depends how willing you are to break the game. You can try out some less One Hit Killing Machine character builds if you want challenge to ramp up more or you can go with the flow and utterly destroy everything ahead of you with Laura.

And the thing about Trails combat is that while it can be easy to kill enemies, there are plenty of enemies that can also kill YOU quickly if you are not quick enough killing them or get sloppy at all. So they might feel easy when you can get rid of them efficiently, but often you're kind of just one turn away from the tables being turned in a lot of fights, assuming you don't always use cheese tactics (that are admittedly available).

-This is not a dealbreaker, but there seem to be frequent FPS dips on Vita
It gets worse in a certain big city and during a certain late game event it's at its worst, but most of the time it's not too big of a problem

Do any of those things get better? (specially 1 & 2)
Yes, most of them do. Framerate is the only thing that actually gets worse in certain parts of the game later on.

Midway through Chapter 6 - I just (Ch 6 spoilers)
boarded the airship
- and I briefly flipped to Wikipedia to see if ToCS II had an official release date listed there. Instead, since the plot section of the page was (a) expanded by default, and (b) short enough that endgame details were visible before I could react to the plot section being open, I ended up spoiling myself about (endgame spoilers)
the secret identity of Crow
. Managed to close the page before seeing anything else, but I'm kind of annoyed with myself for not being able to wait until the end of the game, even if my intentions weren't to get spoiled.

Also, knowing that information before the game reveals it makes me wonder whether (Ch 4 spoilers)
Crow's motivations when venturing into the Old Schoolhouse in search of Elise have less to do with finding/rescuing Elise and more to do with the door and the entity behind it.

boarded the airship
- and I briefly flipped to Wikipedia to see if ToCS II had an official release date listed there. Instead, since the plot section of the page was (a) expanded by default, and (b) short enough that endgame details were visible before I could react to the plot section being open, I ended up spoiling myself about (endgame spoilers)
. Managed to close the page before seeing anything else, but I'm kind of annoyed with myself for not being able to wait until the end of the game, even if my intentions weren't to get spoiled.

Also, knowing that information before the game reveals it makes me wonder whether (Ch 4 spoilers)
Crow's motivations when venturing into the Old Schoolhouse in search of Elise have less to do with finding/rescuing Elise and more to do with the door and the entity behind it.

Honestly... you didn't spoil much don't worry about it to much.

Also, I know this was said earlier in the thread, but Domination quartz on a character with a strong 200 CP S-Craft is hilariously OP. When I got to the Ch 6 practical exam (which the game sets up like its supposed to be a real trial), I think Motivate -> Laura S-Craft took out about 80 percent of the target's HP.

omgfloofy

Banned
If you want to avoid spoilers and look up release dates for Falcom's games, I typically post them on my site as soon as they're available. They should be up on the sidebar at all times.

Gu4n

With this series, it's best to just ask in this or the community thread instead of looking things up myself. Pretty much everyone I know who has finished the game is an avid fan of the series, so they'd love to answer you regardless.

Oh, and this probably goes without saying: don't google '<subject> kiseki wiki'. ;)

Ryan95

With this series, it's best to just ask in this or the community thread instead of looking things up myself. Pretty much everyone I know who has finished the game is an avid fan of the series, so they'd love to answer you regardless.

Oh, and this probably goes without saying: don't google '<subject> kiseki wiki'. ;)
You're perfectly right
Looking at Vita Clotilde on kiseki wiki after her first appereance was not a great idea, and I had to say goodbye to Misty's secret about her identity

boarded the airship

Regarding the spoilers, it's not really a big deal since (chapter 6 discussion)
it's painfully obvious by the end of Ch 6 who C actually is.

Thanks everyone, you've encouraged me to go on :)

I would just keep the idea in your head that the game is always better than the chapter before it. In terms of world building, plot, characterization, gameplay, and just overall quality, each new chapter builds on the one before it and continues to improve the experience.

MSMrRound

Whew finally finished the game. Wow, the last chapter sure was a thing huh.

Only managed to unlock
Crow, Millium and Fie
for the
dance
event....even though I'm pretty sure there are some other characters out there that I have more link exp with/character notes updated....is there something I should look out for my subsequent playthroughs? Do I need to focus on inviting them to the
festival stands?
not too sure what I'm missing out...

As for the identity of
C
, as I work at a gamestore, there was the Japanese release of Sen no Kiseki II which had preorder bonuses with pictures of Alisa and
Crow.
, so I always had a nagging feeling that the identity of that person was related.

Thought that way until
I remembered that Crow was usually with the Class 7 guys and it's close to impossible for him to perform a body splitting act
, I let ny guard down and of course the game had to hoodwink me at the end.

Having played Trails FC and SC, you can imagine I was pretty tickled pick by all the references e.g
Toval's comment that a loving couple in Liberl told him about Bleublanc
and some more. My fav part about the last chapter was the reveal that
Sharon was a agent of Ouroboros as well
. That was one of the many Banderas moments that I had while playing the game.

When I first started the game I was pretty meh on the cast and the Arts orbment system, since Trails FC and SC had some pretty memorable ones, but I'm glad to say that most of them really grew on me.

Still kind of wished that the new Art system grew on me though. I miss throwing Time Gems together and White Gehenna-ing the hell out of everything.

Meffer

Whew finally finished the game. Wow, the last chapter sure was a thing huh.

Only managed to unlock
Crow, Millium and Fie
for the
dance
event....even though I'm pretty sure there are some other characters out there that I have more link exp with/character notes updated....is there something I should look out for my subsequent playthroughs? Do I need to focus on inviting them to the
festival stands?
not too sure what I'm missing out...

As for the identity of
C
, as I work at a gamestore, there was the Japanese release of Sen no Kiseki II which had preorder bonuses with pictures of Alisa and
Crow.
, so I always had a nagging feeling that the identity of that person was related.

Thought that way until
I remembered that Crow was usually with the Class 7 guys and it's close to impossible for him to perform a body splitting act
, I let ny guard down and of course the game had to hoodwink me at the end.

Having played Trails FC and SC, you can imagine I was pretty tickled pick by all the references e.g
Toval's comment that a loving couple in Liberl told him about Bleublanc
and some more. My fav part about the last chapter was the reveal that
Sharon was a agent of Ouroboros as well
. That was one of the many Banderas moments that I had while playing the game.

When I first started the game I was pretty meh on the cast and the Arts orbment system, since Trails FC and SC had some pretty memorable ones, but I'm glad to say that most of them really grew on me.

Still kind of wished that the new Art system grew on me though. I miss throwing Time Gems together and White Gehenna-ing the hell out of everything.
From what I read you have to spend at least two festival tickets on one person for them to be able to dance with you. That's what I'm planning to do for Sara.

Psxphile

For the big event in Final Chapter it depends on Link Exp (gotta max it to 5 for most of Class VII, less for others) and one other factor:

either
a) use a Bonding Point on them in Chapter 6 Free Day (5 Bonding Points available including evening)
b) take one of them along to Heimdall in Final Chapter, or
c) Use two tickets on them in Final Chapter

Do that, and the character will appear on the list of "participants".

Towa
is slightly different, you only need Link Level 3 however you can't see their XP so it's tricky. Also the bonding point qualifier for that character is only in Chapter 5's Free Day. Everything else is valid.

MSMrRound

[last chapter spoilers] Okay...so I'm reloading my save file back to the one where I had
six festival tickets
and I used two each on Emma/Elliot and Gaius, bringing their link exp level to 5 for Elliot and Gaius, with Emma just 100+ exp away, which I'll earn through some battles.

Once I get past the
floor 7 depth boss
I should be able to trigger the
dance event
with the three of them, given that I have also fully obtained their character notes..from what I understand?

jschreier

Quick question for you guys: I'm up to day two of the field trip in Chapter Four. How many hours do I have left? Hoping to finish the game before E3.

FLD

You got another 30+ hours left. If you decided to take on all of the sidequests, then it's 40+ more hours!

God damn, I just finished Chapter 2 last night and my playtime is already past 20h. I figured I was roughly halfway through but I guess not O_O...

Dear god.

Don't lose your nerve now Jason, you're already half-way there!

To be fair , the motivation will certainly kick in , once some of the events of the story will start. Time will pass much faster than you'll imagine during the nexwt chapters

God damn, I just finished Chapter 2 last night and my playtime is already past 20h. I figured I was roughly halfway through but I guess not O_O...

Lol you haven't even done 1/4 of the game yet

Still in chapter 2, haven't had much time to play...
I'm enjoying the game but I agree on the trope issue, though having played Sky FC and SC I'm confident that the characters will evolve into something better. I doubt they'll become as memorable as the Sky crew but I guess that's a very high bar.
It's also undeniable that the game cuts a lot of corners in terms of animation and graphics but I was expecting that, hasn't stopped me from enjoying other jrpgs on PS3 that have the same problem.
The Kiseki charm is definitely there and I like the battle system. Hell, it's worth playing the game just for Sara.

MSMrRound

Hoping to finish the game before E3.

Geez Jason and I thought I was slow. Was expecting you to finish the game much earlier than me to be honest.

You are at Chapter 4. There's a total of
seven
chapters with the final one being a bit lengthy. Good luck and hopefully you might be able to finish it before XSEED goes and drop the Cold Steel II trailer and spoil the entire Cold Steel plot.

Bladenic

Geez Jason and I thought I was slow. Was expecting you to finish the game much earlier than me to be honest.

You are at Chapter 4. There's a total of
seven
chapters with the final one being a bit lengthy. Good luck and hopefully you might be able to finish it before XSEED goes and drop the Cold Steel II trailer and spoil the entire Cold Steel plot.

I've beaten Cold Steel and I still think I'm gonna avoid the CS2 trailers haha.

MSMrRound

At least now I know that holding O will allow me to fast forward those cutscenes...had absolutely no idea at all and was trying to fiddle with the Start button and stuff aka Persona 4 Golden. Orz. Wished there was a complete skip button if I'm going for second playthrough...

I;'ve just got through the prologue and can already tell this game is setting characters up to 'appear' to be certain types and will obviously give them depth and play on the judging a book by its cover thing, I'd have started this sooner but i've only just finished my most recent play through of Trails in the Sky SC (which is just so amazing)......but i had to have one complaint about this game so far, its that i wish it was in the same sprite style of Trails in the sky, it had a unique charm

MSMrRound

I'm just wondering if Trails of Cold Steel 2's just gonna level all of your party member past a certain stage or something...

Remembered starting Trails in the Sky SC and Estelle was level 30+ and armed with some pretty nifty Arts from the get-go. I think with her new improved healing spell (heals like 1k~3k range?) I don't even recall popping a potion that much during that playthrough.

Gu4n

I'm just wondering if Trails of Cold Steel 2's just gonna level all of your party member past a certain stage or something...

Remembered starting Trails in the Sky SC and Estelle was level 30+ and armed with some pretty nifty Arts from the get-go. I think with her new improved healing spell (heals like 1k~3k range?) I don't even recall popping a potion that much during that playthrough.
Cold Steel II does something similar, having you start at level 40 with some basic Arts.

...And it goes on and on and on (until the level cap of 200), though I never got beyond 150 myself. http://i.imgur.com/wR2Peyd.jpg

Saoshyant

I'm having a hard time getting through NG+ on Nightmare, specifically the last boss of chapter 6, maybe someone here can give me some tips.

The first boss isn't particularly hard, you can blind him, he just has a huge amount of HP and takes a long while to get down, but it's perfectly doable.

The second one is the problem. Between the two archaisms constantly wearing everyone down, the boss' spawning mines everywhere, and his SCraft move instantly killing everyone, it's becoming really hard to figure a way to deal with this.

My main party is Rean, Elliot, Fie, and, uh, guest character. Guest character and Rean keep pounding on the boss with unbalance moves, sometimes knocking him off, but they keep running out of CP at the worst possible times. Fie uses her line move, scud-something, to keep the archaisms delayed. Elliot supports people from afar by throwing ranged AOE items thanks to the quartz that allows this.

The problem is when the boss isn't knocked down (unbalance seems to rely too much on luck), throws in some mines, kills two or three people and while trying to revive everyone (resulting in delayed turns and no CP), I either get the last party member killed or the boss SCrafts shortly after getting everyone alive again and trying to regain a rhythm, and, well, game over. I figure I need to keep my CP constantly regenerating with maybe Alisa instead of Elliot and use Adamantine Shield before the boss SCrafts. Even then, this still seems to rely way too much on luck.

If I'm having this hard a time here, I imagine it will be even worse on the final dungeon boss (
Loa
), which was really hard for me on my first playthrough on Normal.

Gu4n

Jeez, level 40 or so if you don't do a save transfer?
Level 40 regardless of transfer.

I'm having a hard time getting through NG+ on Nightmare, specifically the last boss of chapter 6, maybe someone here can give me some tips.

The first boss isn't particularly hard, you can blind him, he just has a huge amount of HP and takes a long while to get down, but it's perfectly doable.

The second one is the problem. Between the two archaisms constantly wearing everyone down, the boss' spawning mines everywhere, and his SCraft move instantly killing everyone, it's becoming really hard to figure a way to deal with this.

My main party is Rean, Elliot, Fie, and, uh, guest character. Guest character and Rean keep pounding on the boss with unbalance moves, sometimes knocking him off, but they keep running out of CP at the worst possible times. Fie uses her line move, scud-something, to keep the archaisms delayed. Elliot supports people from afar by throwing ranged AOE items thanks to the quartz that allows this.

The problem is when the boss isn't knocked down (unbalance seems to rely too much on luck), throws in some mines, kills two or three people and while trying to revive everyone (resulting in delayed turns and no CP), I either get the last party member killed or the boss SCrafts shortly after getting everyone alive again and trying to regain a rhythm, and, well, game over. I figure I need to keep my CP constantly regenerating with maybe Alisa instead of Elliot and use Adamantine Shield before the boss SCrafts. Even then, this still seems to rely way too much on luck.

If I'm having this hard a time here, I imagine it will be even worse on the final dungeon boss (
Loa
As far as I can judge, you're on the right track. What you could try is raising Fie's evasion to its max. (which is 100 in CS1, I believe) and have her positioned on the square directly next to the actual boss. That way, she'll keep the boss busy without getting hit and landing a couple of blows every time the boss attacks, she evades and counter-attacks (and have whoever is linked with her attack as well -- if this was introduced in CS1, not sure about that).

In the meanwhile, have Rean focus on the two helpers. Slowing them down, and cancel the arts they're about to casts. Raise his SPD+50% so he can hijack more turns. Have him wipe out the mines, which should net you a decent amount of CP as well. Make sure he has quartz or equipment that boosts his CP restore.

Have Elliot (and/or Alisa) supporting these two in the backrow. ATK and SPD boosts on Rean, Shining on Fie. Adamantine Shield is, indeed, very useful and probably the only way to survive the boss' S-Craft, so make sure it's active on at least 3 characters.

As for the guest character, use it where convenient: have it help out Rean to deal additional damage or to distract the boss whenever Fie gets hit.

I hope this helps to some extend.

Loa

It's been a few months since that fight but i'm pretty certain that you can raise your chance of unbalancing with the right items (ACC+100% seemed to help ?)

Psxphile

It's been a few months since that fight but i'm pretty certain that you can raise your chance of unbalancing with the right items (ACC+100% seemed to help ?)

Elliot and Emma's Detector also works to up unbalance chances.

That boss is vulnerable to Faint status, so having people like Guest Character or Rean use skills that induce it will go a long way to helping you get the upper hand. I just fought that fight recently under the same circumstances. I had a lot of trouble on the normal run, but not so much the 2nd run. His S-Craft is the only thing that put a wrench in the works but he did it way later after I had already busted up the helpers so recovering from that wasn't a hassle.

Also never underestimate the value of Insight status on your point-men/tanks: they can dodge just about everything that's thrown at them whilst blocking an aggressive enemy from getting to your softer compatriots. Counter-attacking is the icing on the cake.

Gu4n, not sure if it's the same thing but I've had linked partners counter-attack an enemy after it attacked the other guy in CS1. Pretty sure it was this:

war-4D.jpg

FLD

Lol you haven't even done 1/4 of the game yet

Hahaha, damn. Guess I need to pick up the pace. Although, in a sense that's actually kind of good to hear, to be honest. I'm getting a strong FC vibe from the game. Like, my first run through FC I was a little put off by the slow pacing and how very little seemed to be happening until the very end. I ended up loving it but my appreciation for it as a whole really increased when I replayed it last summer.

Cold Steel is very similar in how it takes it's time to set everything up, the world, the characters, etc, but this time around I'm a little more prepared for it. So, I'm embracing the slow pace and taking my time with the game. But I'm on the 3rd chapter now and so far nothing has happened that seems to hint at what direction the main plot is going to take, so it's nice to know there's still plenty of time for things to pick up.

marcincz

Yes! Few minutes ago I beat it. After 111h. The longest game in my life. Fortunately it is good/very good title. Especially the ending surprised me
C/Crow you little piece of s#@$
Can't wait for September and 2nd part. One of the best jrpg I've ever played and one of my favorite game of this year, so far.

Gu4n

Gu4n, not sure if it's the same thing but I've had linked partners counter-attack an enemy after it attacked the other guy in CS1. Pretty sure it was this:
That's slightly different, so I'll guess it's only in CS2 so far. If someone counters an enemy, there's a chance his or her linked partner will do a follow up attack.

Psxphile

Just need to complete this last leg of Final Chapter for the Plat. Sucks that there's no way to soft-reset: having to quit and restart every time I complete
a dance scene
for its trophy is a little annoying.

That's slightly different, so I'll guess it's only in CS2 so far. If someone counters an enemy, there's a chance his or her linked partner will do a follow up attack.

Ah I see, so chained counter-attacks. Nice. Yeah, CS1 doesn't have that.

EDIT: what's the "Other" Outfits in the NG+ clear data carryover? Not the same as the DLC casual outfits, right?

Gu4n

EDIT: what's the "Other" Outfits in the NG+ clear data carryover? Not the same as the DLC casual outfits, right?
These are the outfits you've seen in-game, but haven't been able to access yourself. Rean's and Jusis' pyjamas from Chapter
, and Gaius' native clothing in Chapter
are the first that come to mind.

Saoshyant

Thanks everyone who chimed in. I finally got through after three more attempts. The extra evasion, including the occasional Insight, and making sure I prepared for his S-Craft helped. Still some bullshit moments, like not stopping one of the archaisms from casting Ancient Glyph (or whatever it's called) and having that turn two of my characters into stone or the boss deciding to attack normally when I was predicting S-Craft, not missing, taking down my just placed Adamantine Shield, and then S-Crafting right on the following turn because why not.

Pretty frustrating all said and I can only imagine the final battles during the ending will be even worse. Why yes, after completely sleep walking through the entire game on Nightmare, things just took a 180º completely and it's taking everything I got to get through these last bits. A nightmare indeed.

Meffer

I finished it finally. I got Fie as my dance partner as I was surprised Sara wasn't an option. Ah well I'm fine with it.

Ultimadrago

I finished it finally. I got Fie as my dance partner as I was surprised Sara wasn't an option. Ah well I'm fine with it.

Without spoiling, does anyone other than
Alisa
get a satisfying Max Link conclusion? I put the name in spoilers, though it seems rather obvious who's supposed to be "canon" for Rean to be closest with just from spending some time with the game. I don't know any of the Max Link events or anything.

Meffer

Without spoiling, does anyone other than
Alisa
get a satisfying Max Link conclusion? I put the name in spoilers, though it seems rather obvious who's supposed to be "canon" for Rean to be closest with just from spending some time with the game. I don't know any of the Max Link events or anything.
Fie actually.

Top Bottom